LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ApplePomme
Stats: 164/155.5/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: February 2013
Joint pain/stiffness?

I've been doing induction since Feb (I think? March maybe?) and a couple weeks ago I woke up with a stiff, dull pain between two of my knuckles. I thought maybe I slept on it funny and didn't give it another thought. Fast forward to today, and that pain has spread across my whole hand. Is this related to LCing? Should I be taking some kind of supplement? Currently, I don't take any vitamins or supplements.
ApplePomme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Google 'jimmy moore bowden vitamins' for a good podcast about supplements for LC.

Google 'jimmy moore robbins magnesium' for an eye opening podcast about how important it is to supplement with magnesium.

Be sure you are getting in adequate sodium and potassium (be careful if on BP meds).

Be sure you are staying hydrated with pure water.

Google 'dr eades tips & tricks' for a great article about induction.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePomme View Post
I've been doing induction since Feb (I think? March maybe?) and a couple weeks ago I woke up with a stiff, dull pain between two of my knuckles. I thought maybe I slept on it funny and didn't give it another thought. Fast forward to today, and that pain has spread across my whole hand. Is this related to LCing? Should I be taking some kind of supplement? Currently, I don't take any vitamins or supplements.
You're doing Atkins and you don't take supplements??? Why? Have you read the book?

Not saying this is the cause of your problem, just commenting on you not following directions. Since you're not, there is no way of knowing if your pain is diet related, caused by nutrition deficiency, or some other reason.
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Could it be gout? I think that's how it starts- twinges of pain in the middle of the night in the toes or fingers/
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thank you reddarin, I will check those links out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post
You're doing Atkins and you don't take supplements??? Why? Have you read the book?

Not saying this is the cause of your problem, just commenting on you not following directions. Since you're not, there is no way of knowing if your pain is diet related, caused by nutrition deficiency, or some other reason.

Yes, I have and have read the book. No, I'm not taking supplements because it lists SO many of them to take and, frankly, I don't have a lot of money to spend. This is why I came here to ask my question... in hopes that others may have heard of, or experienced, this situation and might have some suggestions as to what supplement(s) might help this situation.

nolcjunk, I also did a quick read-up on gout, and it doesn't sound like that's what is happening. I'm 29, and I thought gout generally affects older adults.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
my friend is only 10 years older than you and he got gout while quite fit and walking the length of new zealand.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Could it be gout? I think that's how it starts- twinges of pain in the middle of the night in the toes or fingers/
I am definitely not a doctor, but my first thought was gout as well. It presented with those same symptoms in my aunt. Isn't a cause of gout eating too many processed meats- like salami and deli cuts? Maybe that's it?
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I think I might have 1 slice of black forest ham per week, so I don't think it could be deli meats (for me). I eat almost exclusively, whole, unprocessed meats. Apparently animal products increase uric acid in the blood and that's what can cause gout. I was reading the DANDR last night and it doesn't mention uric acid at all. Still no answers...