Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Joint pain/stiffness? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802327-joint-pain-stiffness.html)

ApplePomme 04-17-2013 10:57 AM

Joint pain/stiffness?

I've been doing induction since Feb (I think? March maybe?) and a couple weeks ago I woke up with a stiff, dull pain between two of my knuckles. I thought maybe I slept on it funny and didn't give it another thought. Fast forward to today, and that pain has spread across my whole hand. Is this related to LCing? Should I be taking some kind of supplement? Currently, I don't take any vitamins or supplements.

reddarin 04-17-2013 11:34 AM

Google 'jimmy moore bowden vitamins' for a good podcast about supplements for LC.

Google 'jimmy moore robbins magnesium' for an eye opening podcast about how important it is to supplement with magnesium.

Be sure you are getting in adequate sodium and potassium (be careful if on BP meds).

Be sure you are staying hydrated with pure water.

Google 'dr eades tips & tricks' for a great article about induction.

Sharss 04-17-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplePomme (Post 16378941)
I've been doing induction since Feb (I think? March maybe?) and a couple weeks ago I woke up with a stiff, dull pain between two of my knuckles. I thought maybe I slept on it funny and didn't give it another thought. Fast forward to today, and that pain has spread across my whole hand. Is this related to LCing? Should I be taking some kind of supplement? Currently, I don't take any vitamins or supplements.

You're doing Atkins and you don't take supplements??? Why? Have you read the book?

Not saying this is the cause of your problem, just commenting on you not following directions. Since you're not, there is no way of knowing if your pain is diet related, caused by nutrition deficiency, or some other reason.

nolcjunk 04-17-2013 11:56 AM

Could it be gout? I think that's how it starts- twinges of pain in the middle of the night in the toes or fingers/

ApplePomme 04-17-2013 01:45 PM

Thank you reddarin, I will check those links out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharss (Post 16379035)
You're doing Atkins and you don't take supplements??? Why? Have you read the book?

Not saying this is the cause of your problem, just commenting on you not following directions. Since you're not, there is no way of knowing if your pain is diet related, caused by nutrition deficiency, or some other reason.

Yes, I have and have read the book. No, I'm not taking supplements because it lists SO many of them to take and, frankly, I don't have a lot of money to spend. This is why I came here to ask my question... in hopes that others may have heard of, or experienced, this situation and might have some suggestions as to what supplement(s) might help this situation.

nolcjunk, I also did a quick read-up on gout, and it doesn't sound like that's what is happening. I'm 29, and I thought gout generally affects older adults.

kiwistars 04-17-2013 01:46 PM

my friend is only 10 years older than you and he got gout while quite fit and walking the length of new zealand.

jmc305 04-17-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16379052)
Could it be gout? I think that's how it starts- twinges of pain in the middle of the night in the toes or fingers/

I am definitely not a doctor, but my first thought was gout as well. :D It presented with those same symptoms in my aunt. Isn't a cause of gout eating too many processed meats- like salami and deli cuts? Maybe that's it?

ApplePomme 04-18-2013 06:49 PM

I think I might have 1 slice of black forest ham per week, so I don't think it could be deli meats (for me). I eat almost exclusively, whole, unprocessed meats. Apparently animal products increase uric acid in the blood and that's what can cause gout. I was reading the DANDR last night and it doesn't mention uric acid at all. Still no answers...