giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Reintroducing Myself -Not so good at Maintaining

Hey!

So, I'm back. I've been avoiding this place most of this year, because maintenance hasn't been going so well.... And we all know that it's easier to ignore (even when stepping on the scale daily AND pants getting WAY too tight) when not posting/reading here.

My maintenance plan had been a 5 lb "window" of safety. Which worked for the first few months, and then ... hasn't. As of Saturday morning, I was 10 lbs above my safety window, 15 lbs above my current low. I forced myself to do 3 days of good clean (by my standards, not Dr. Atkins LOL) eating, and then I could re-evaluate. And, of course, after 3 days, I'm good to go to stick with it. I'm down 6 of the 15 lbs, with 9 to go. Or, rather, 14 to go, since I've decided to lower goal by at least 5 lbs, probably more like 8.

So, there you have it. I am back. Back to losing - which, frankly, I'm really good at (I've done it enough times in my life ). Maintenance, as I've learned (again), not so good.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone again

Dieting to look good in cute clothes. Exercising to look good without them
---
I can do Hard Things.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Welcome back, and congrats for getting back on plan

I'm actually quite afraid of maintenance myself, as I'm fairly close to it nowadays and I find it a bit intimidating to imagine allowing myself to have certain things that I've taken away from my diet while losing... or to imagine trying to find the "right" zone of upping my daily calories to in order to maintain properly

You're definitely not alone in the "not good at maintenance" section though, I've seen a lot of people say maintenance is an art form that needs perfecting... hopefully this time you'll go into that stage knowing even more than last time about what doesn't work, and you'll be set up for success
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nera
Stats: 260/158/135
WOE: Atkins girl all the way!
Start Date: March 2006
I am impressed that once you made up your mind you went right to it and are doing so well.

I was on maintenance for years and a slow ongoing creep began after menopause. Now I am up 20 pounds and 2 sizes and have not been able to keep my eating clean for more than a week or two within having a binge. I am not giving up however as I really love how I look and feel when low-carbing. Thank you for sharing. It helps to know there are others with trouble in maintenance - now to just get back there!!
nera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
There's something like a 95% failure rate with long term weight loss success ie maintenance. So much focus is placed on losing the weight, but not a lot is placed on how to do maintenance, even though that's how we have to eat for the next 10, 20, 30+ years. A maintenance window is a great tool to help keep you on maintenance track-great job op for catching yourself after realizing that you had gone over your window and got back at it Another tool is the accountability of a support group, like this forum. Get plugged in again and use the forum as a way to keep you on track
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Ladies!

I'm annoyed at myself for letting this happen, but step 1 is admitting you have a problem, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nera View Post
I am impressed that once you made up your mind you went right to it and are doing so well.
Don't be. I made my mind up a few times. The other times, though, I told myself "2 weeks", and didn't make it a day. This time, I went with "3 days - Saturday through Monday". I think that made it less scary than even 2 measly weeks, but not so little as 1 day (which is easy to screw up and say "well, I'll make TOMORROW the 1 day").
Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Welcome back! I am Terrified of maintance! I'm about 10 lbs or so away from goal
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Welcome back! It seems to me like you caught it in time. I think a lot of us have had the experience of letting it go much farther...
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fsfty
Stats: 265/184/184 6'2" Start 6/9/11, Goal 12/9/11
WOE: Lifetime Maintenance
Start Date: June 9, 2011
i too was afraid of maintenance, but a 1 1/2 years later, I've remained in my 5# range (really 3). I've found that by adding back non-processed carbs, I haven't been a victim of carb creep. That being said, I am different than most people because the variety of foods i eat isn't large. I find things I like and stick with them; plenty of veggies, meat, nuts, yogurt and some fruit. Don't be afraid, just be vigilant.
fsfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
I'm new to LC (5 weeks on Atkins) and I started with a 14 lb goal. I'm halfway there but Pre-Maintenance and Maintenance scare the crap out of me. I started my weight loss journey in Oct 2011 trying to lose 25 lbs. it has been so hard!! I think I am pretty resistant to weight loss. Even now, I can't go over about 15 g carbs a day or I stop losing.
Is there any advice you can give about Maintenance? What specific things would you have done differently knowing what you know now about Maintenance?
It's nice to meet you!!
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fsfty
Stats: 265/184/184 6'2" Start 6/9/11, Goal 12/9/11
WOE: Lifetime Maintenance
Start Date: June 9, 2011
Add back healthy carbs very slowly, weigh everyday and stay away from processed food. Believe me, once you find the right type of carbs and number of carbs, you won't even have to think about it.

I haven't had any bread, flour or rice in nearly 2 years and I'm not even tempted to eat it now. Another thing that has helped is I started exercising when I started maintaining. I look good, feel great and don't even have to think about my "diet" anymore. You will do fine maintaining...
fsfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
My mum has maintained her loss for ten years by just not eating any 'visible' carbs except dark green veges.
It just fits her maintenance carb count even with the carbs hidden in sauces etc.She doesn't have to really think about it.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Welcome back! I'm approaching maintenance myself, and I was worried about it because I'd previously maintained for 3 years, but then got complacent and put all my loss back on plus some more! So - this time, I've chosen 5 foods to add - and apart from those I'll be continuing to eat as I have been during the loss period. Those 5 foods are: peas, carrots, black pudding and white pudding (it's an Irish thing), and legumes. I have never heard of anyone gaining weight because they ate too many peas, and I doubt if I will, either. I chose those foods because they a) don't have much sugar in them, b) have plenty of fibre, c) I really enjoy them, and d) they're not really the sort of thing I'd binge on.

So far, I'm allowing myself 2 servings of peas and one of carrots per week, a slice of each pudding each morning, and have yet to introduce the legumes (still got a few lbs to go to goal). I'm still losing, though very slowly - which is OK. I'm not feeling any hungrier than I was, still eating 2 meals a day and feeling satisfied, so I think I'm on the right track. Time will tell!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I like your thinking darkginger. I am still too far from goal, but the peas sound like a good idea to me. (don't have any idea about those puds I like pea soup in the winter, with just a few carrots, and hamhocks. I feel like I need more nourishment in the winter and I am already considering my choices for next winter, because it's hard for me. Portion control will be the deal, though. I love peanuts, but have difficulty controlling quanties, but I'd like to be able to have some peanuts in soups. Yum. Well that's enough drolling for, back to my eggs and coffee.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Welcome back! I am about 5 pounds from where I want to be. It seems like I will never get there, for some reason my body is stalling out on me. Maybe getting ready for maintenance? Who knows, I just go with the flow and take it as me practicing for it if the day ever gets here.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileygirl3 View Post
Welcome back! I am about 5 pounds from where I want to be. It seems like I will never get there, for some reason my body is stalling out on me. Maybe getting ready for maintenance? Who knows, I just go with the flow and take it as me practicing for it if the day ever gets here.
I stalled in March, went from losing 6+lbs a month to nothing. Took a maintenance break for a few weeks and just let my body rest. Then I went back to weight loss mode and blew my goal out of the water You might want to try maintenance for a few weeks and then work on losing your last few pounds
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I like your thinking darkginger. I am still too far from goal, but the peas sound like a good idea to me. (don't have any idea about those puds .
The reason you probably don't know about those puddings is because,for example,black pudding is a breakfast sausage made from blood

It is seems to be something that only countries with an irish/scottish/english connection do.I quite like it but it is an acquired taste.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I stalled in March, went from losing 6+lbs a month to nothing. Took a maintenance break for a few weeks and just let my body rest. Then I went back to weight loss mode and blew my goal out of the water You might want to try maintenance for a few weeks and then work on losing your last few pounds
That's pretty much what I did last summer. So I figured I had maintenance DOWN. I knew what I could and could not handle.

For 3 months.

Just like summer.

So I'll need to come up with another strategy, and I'm definitely going to think about the ones mentioned here - thanks so much, everyone, for your suggestions!!

In the meantime, I think I'm going to focus on relosing the 9 lbs and 5 or 6 more. That should take a few months anyway.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
Confession is good for the soul. lol Welcome back! I am afraid it is going to take me quite awhile to ever get to maintenance as i seem to be on hold where i am, and i guess not too willing to go back to induction phase. Will be nice to have you share your wisdom with us.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote