Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What Makes you Stay LC? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802312-what-makes-you-stay-lc.html)

travelgirl77 04-17-2013 06:53 AM

What Makes you Stay LC?

Aside from weight loss, what makes you stay dedicated to this WOL?
For me, I am not so dang hungry ALL the time eating this way!

RhondaR 04-17-2013 07:08 AM

weight loss is my main objective but I think what makes this woe more sustainable for me is the appetite suppression. I'm not starved all the time and that's a big plus.

MargD 04-17-2013 07:10 AM

My family history, which includes several T2 diabetics.

lanita 04-17-2013 07:21 AM

I've only been on Atkins 5 weeks and have "only" lost 7 lbs, lol..( I lol because I am so freaking happy about losing 7 lbs in 5 weeks. I was on WW for over a year, but stopped losing weight after 3 months. During those 3 months, I averaged one pound of weight loss every 10 days and I was starving.)
With Atkins, my skin has cleared ( it wasn't bad at all before) and it is positively luminous. The skin on my hands doesn't crack anymore. I no longer have gas that makes the dogs leave the room. In fact, I never have noxious gas anymore. I don't get heartburn or any type of stomach aches. These things make me so happy. In addition, I'm never hungry!
The first 3 weeks were a little rough, energy-wise, but now I am feeling just as much energy as I ever did when I ate "regular" food, lol. And I don't feel like crap anymore!

Kimberli33 04-17-2013 07:25 AM

:goodpost:Good Question,for me it is definetly the affect it has on my body.Great weight loss,I look leaner,healthier,more energy,complexion improves,all that said-I dont like this woe:dunno::stars:.I make myself do it,because its the smart thing to do for my body.

raindroproses 04-17-2013 07:44 AM

Other than the weight loss, it's basically because it's allowed me to take control of my life back again :) Before, I felt like I lived and breathed for food... BAD food. And not only food, but alcohol too. It was terrible! I would eat, and then an our or two later I'd be hungry again... and these weren't small meals either! :annoyed:

Now? I'm hardly ever hungry between meals at all... sometimes I have to REMIND myself to eat :laugh: My knees/back don't bother me the way they used to, my headaches (which I used to get every other day at migraine level pretty much) are almost nonexistent, and despite still having thyroid issues that are as of yet not addressed I have more energy too which is a good thing :jumpjoy:

Oh, and my self confidence has grown too which is huge for me because I honestly had NONE before. I don't know if it's so much the weight loss as much as it is me feeling like I accomplished something, and like I'm not spinning out of control and being some kind of poster child for illness. When I couldn't control myself I just felt disgusting... now I feel stronger, and as a result I feel more confident too :)

Demonica 04-17-2013 07:45 AM

Knowing how I feel when I eat too many carbs:sick: I feel bloated, horrible stomache aches and constipated. Plus I get "carb face" and "muffin top" from hell that takes at least a week to get rid of. Also the fact that if I eat them, I get horrible carb cravings that I can't control.

Bobbin 04-17-2013 07:49 AM

Weight loss is part of it, but I think my metabolism is so wrecked at this point, it will take forever to lose my last 30-40 lbs. (I've lost 56 so far).

The main reason I started almost 2 years ago was for my health, though. I knew LC always made me feel better, and retain less water, and have fewer achy joints and back aches, less stomach upset, and more engergy. But none of this is the MAIN reason I stick to it: Cancer. I don't ever want to have it again. It may happen again, but I KNOW eating crap (sugar, wheat, bad fat, diet soda) makes it progress, so I won't ever let myself make that my main diet, ever again. I might "fall of the wagon" every so often, but it'll never go on past that vacation or holiday, it's always right back on track to take care of myself the best I can.

suzanneyea 04-17-2013 07:49 AM

So many things. One is my mental health. I am a crazy lady when I eat sugar. Two, my physical health. Three, the release from my lifelong battle with food addiction.
I really believe that lc has been a gift from God. I prayed for years for help. I have been given help and will not turn it away. I know how lucky I am.

Mad4Chillas 04-17-2013 08:09 AM

Feeling Good & Having Control :)

natural_born_texan 04-17-2013 08:18 AM

I feel amazing when I eat low carb, I know that I am healthier, and I'm rarely ever hungry, not to mention that the food is so luxurious. (As Dr. Atkins would say)

princessmommy 04-17-2013 08:48 AM

Ok I'll say it. I stay LC because I get called " a skinny *itch" lol! Well that's not really the reason But it helps! Honestly I stay on LC because I feel sooo much better then I did 57 lbs ago. IBS is way better, acid reflux is better, excema is way better too. Plus yes the weight loss and cuter clothes Lol

Jaded62 04-17-2013 08:52 AM

I feel better.I sleep better.

raytamtay3 04-17-2013 08:57 AM

I feel and look better. And I feel in better control of what I eat and how often I eat.

Jrw85705 04-17-2013 09:14 AM

The most important reason for me to stay low carb is to keep my blood sugars normal. The possibility of losing a limb or my eyesight will keep me on the straight and narrow.

Also I never want to experience that awful mental fog, which follows a high carb meal. I used to think that was how one always felt after a “good” meal.

And to be able to buy a pair of pants right off the rack and they fit without having to be shortened.

I know many of the women on this forum talk about having a difficult time with finding clothes that fit but if you are a male of rather rotund proportion, any pair of trousers that fit your waist will have a rear end large enough to hide a small car in. To quote my wife “Baggy pants may be in style for the younger crowd but on older men they aren’t baggy – they are just saggy.”

Melle's_Sweetheart 04-17-2013 09:16 AM

Aside from EVERYTHING ELSE......cravings control.

I can't stop saying it: my consumption of sugar was completely out of control before I dedicated myself to following a low carb diet.

afuentes 04-17-2013 09:49 AM

I crave less food. Sugar and starches make me lose it!

Mule_Freak 04-17-2013 10:18 AM

I've said it before, no sway back horses in my pasture :up: plus LOVE all the recipes, never feel hungry, over all feel good :)

drjlocarb 04-17-2013 10:18 AM

I like the food. Go bacon!

ladyinlove56 04-17-2013 12:41 PM

I love LC....I do the no flour and sugar thing now....I don't crave bad foods...I breath better...I enjoy drinking water more...I am motivated to start my Walk Away the Pounds to get my exercise...It is easy to help my DH on...I fix all his lunches now and he loves it...I know it works for me....:)

kiwistars 04-17-2013 01:08 PM

Control over my food and size 10 jeans:)

oh and better skin,nails and hair grow faster etc.

princessmommy,I know you have fibro.Have you noticed the symptoms ease at all?Mine goes into near remission on low carb once I get near goal.

Deosil 04-17-2013 04:31 PM

I was always battling my weight in one way or another once I hit my mid 20s but generally never went above 180-ish. My lowest was 119 but I was early 20s then. Now that I have hit the 40's my weight ballooned to close to 300lbs at one point. This past New Year's I forced myself to take a good long look in the mirror and to think about all the things in life I was missing out on due to not wanting to go out in public being so heavy. I also realized over 8 years have gone by without engaging in anything or anyone besides food.

Life is too short as it is to waste it indulging in bad unhealthy habits, bad health and letting life pass me by completely. I know losing the weight, exercising and eating better will have positive impacts on ALL aspects of my life. I was tired of looking like I am so much older than I am and want to recapture my life. There really is no option for me but to just DO IT and keep on track. I have bad days but I am tired of the world moving without me.

tinamanni 04-17-2013 04:43 PM

I feel good - I feel healthy - I feel in control

DiamondDeb 04-17-2013 04:50 PM

I feel better physically eating this way. And I am definitely in control. No junk food temptations.

Patience 04-17-2013 04:54 PM

Incredible read this evening.

For me the promise of a more satisfied me.
Emotionally and physically, the whole package.

WickedStitch 04-17-2013 05:08 PM

Thanks for this. I really needed it today. I haven't been losing and it's making me an angry person. I know I feel better and my body is happier and better complexion, but I really want and NEED the loss. My body has no business staying at 230's!

Reading this helps me keep staying and not give up. Thanks!

Knittering 04-17-2013 05:11 PM

Aside from the weight stuff, eating low carb/high fat helps with my anxiety issues. I never want to go back to where I was three years ago.

reddarin 04-17-2013 05:58 PM

Complete control over my eating is the most striking thing for me. I can get starving hungry and not cave in to eating off plan. I don't test that very often but it has happened a time or two and it is an exhilarating feeling.

Pami 04-17-2013 06:04 PM

I love that I don't feel like I have to hit the "snooze" button
half a dozen times before actually getting up and outta bed!

nolcjunk 04-17-2013 06:09 PM

I like being at goal and being healthy and fit. I started Atkins to lose weight, and it worked and continues to work super well for me. But, if I was never able to get to goal and stayed overweight then I would ditch this plan and look for something else that would allow me to get to a healthy weight.

Plus, eating this way allows me to go long periods without eating - so I only eat twice a day and dont have to worry about snacks or planning mini meals and bringing them with me.