Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dixiegal
WOE: LC/JUDDD My way
Start Date: 7/7/14 LC/JUDDD
liquid protein before bed

Seems to be the newest magical potion for weight loss. I have scuffed and rolled my eyes while hearing about it on the radio until... my cousin bought some. My cousin is not what I would consider a big girl but she has had 10 kids, yes I said 10 kids! She has not changed her diet, in fact I know her favorite snack is cake and milk. In one month she has a total of 18 inches 5-1/2 of those in her tummy and went down 2 pants sizes. The scale is only showing a 3 lb loss but she is shrinking. Her results are enough that I plan on ordering a bottle and giving it a try. I have no idea if it works well with low carbing but I figure it won't hurt to try it for a month. Anyone else have any experience with this stuff?
9/1 201
10/1 196
My 7 favorite little people call me Granny Kimmy but you can call me Kim.
My journal http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ourney-35.html
dixiegal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
No experience but can you give us a little more info. I'd like to research it.

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
I googled "liquid protein before bed" and came up with quite a bit of info and reviews. One site talked a lot about the laxative effect of the Aloe Vera juice that is in it.

Some people claimed it worked, some said no results at all. The directions for all the different brands, In general said not to eat three hours before taking it, and some of them said to drink at least 8 oz of water upon waking "to flush the fat out of your system" that you dissolved overnight?

I am thinking of trying my protein drinks before bed, for the few times I wake up hungry. Less chance of injuring myself stumbling around the kitchen before I'm fully awake.

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman525 View Post
No experience but can you give us a little more info. I'd like to research it.

Janice
Don't think we can discuss specific brands here Janice. Maybe a search on radio DJ's using a certain liquid protein would bring up info for you.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
I googled "liquid protein before bed" and came up with quite a bit of info and reviews. One site talked a lot about the laxative effect of the Aloe Vera juice that is in it.

Some people claimed it worked, some said no results at all. The directions for all the different brands, In general said not to eat three hours before taking it, and some of them said to drink at least 8 oz of water upon waking "to flush the fat out of your system" that you dissolved overnight?

I am thinking of trying my protein drinks before bed, for the few times I wake up hungry. Less chance of injuring myself stumbling around the kitchen before I'm fully awake.
I had read about the aloe too, asked her about it. She already has tummy issues but hasn't notice things getting worse or changing for her.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegal View Post
Don't think we can discuss specific brands here Janice. Maybe a search on radio DJ's using a certain liquid protein would bring up info for you.
You can say the brand name, you just can't name the sales site or link to it.
This link may help explain better and, as always, you can contact the site and ask (before you post).
Terms of Service - Policy Modification
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/176/168; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD / >100 g protein
Start Date: 6/7/12
if this works, do you necessarily have to use their protein drink? surely there's no magic potion. maybe a magic time but not a magic potion that no other manufacturer can come close to.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
It's only 3g protein. I'd be willing to say it's the 3 hours that you "fast" before
the liquid protein that is causing the results. So many people "can't sleep unless
I have a snack before bed" so it may simply be that putting a 3-hour break from
food in there is what is needed.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

i googled this and there don't seem to be too many people that this has worked for. btw, barely searched and found this info as far back as 2008, so it's not too new. sounds like the company has picked up their advertising.

it seems like it's possible the people this has worked for have subconsciously lessened their eating. dunno.

i always figure that if there's a miracle cure out there somewhere, sometime, it'll be obvious to the masses, even many years down the road.

what gets me are these fad diets. they usually claim you don't need to diet with their pill; however, in the fine print, they'll say it works best in conjunction with some sort of diet and/or exercise. yes, i'm a cynic . lol
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
It's only 3g protein. I'd be willing to say it's the 3 hours that you "fast" before
the liquid protein that is causing the results. So many people "can't sleep unless
this could be the "trick". my mom can quite easily lose if she doesn't eat anything after 6pm. she has a really great metabolism, even though she's been a chronic dieter almost all her life.

so, if these success stories are the kind of people that would generally lose by not eating too late in the evening, then that answers that.

dixiegal, i wonder if your cousin was eating a lot in the evening.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
You can say the brand name, you just can't name the sales site or link to it.
This link may help explain better and, as always, you can contact the site and ask (before you post).
Terms of Service - Policy Modification
Thx Dottie I'll admit I was in a hurry this morning and too lazy to check if I could post it The brand she's using is NoDiet
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
this could be the "trick". my mom can quite easily lose if she doesn't eat anything after 6pm. she has a really great metabolism, even though she's been a chronic dieter almost all her life.

so, if these success stories are the kind of people that would generally lose by not eating too late in the evening, then that answers that.

dixiegal, i wonder if your cousin was eating a lot in the evening.
I'm not sure but I'll ask her next time we talk. It does make you wonder if you could get the same results just fasting 3 hours and then eating protein though in my case I know doing IF and eating protein didn't make me drop inches or pounds. I was stuck at 176 forever no matter what I did, tried breaking it with IF and now sadly have gained a ton back. Still plan on giving it a try, if nothing else maybe it'll help me get back to where I need to be mentally.

Last edited by dixiegal; 04-17-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Received my bottle today. Yes it does tell you no food 3 hours before bed. It also says go right to sleep after taking with a glass of water which could be a problem for me since I have insomnia. I have read that people have been helped with joint pain which would be a plus for me. Plan on trying this one bottle and seeing how it goes. I have been a very slow loser so being able to tell if it helps won't be a problem.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
I gotta say, I agree. Snacking before bed is a killer for me! If I just stopped that it would be a lot easier to maintain/lose weight. Three grams of protein is really pretty small - I'm wondering what else is in there. I also heard recently that eating carby junk (candy, donuts, cake, etc...) close to bedtime is actually worse then eating it at other times throughout the day...not that any of us would ever give in to a piece of cake!!! I have really limited my eating after dinner in the past week and I think it is helping - along with some other changes - I have lost a few of the pounds I recently gained. I think that good habit (avoiding/limiting nighttime eating) is ultimately what works. All the same, I really hope it works for you!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 04-25-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I gotta say, I agree. Snacking before bed is a killer for me! If I just stopped that it would be a lot easier to maintain/lose weight. Three grams of protein is really pretty small - I'm wondering what else is in there. I also heard recently that eating carby junk (candy, donuts, cake, etc...) close to bedtime is actually worse then eating it at other times throughout the day...not that any of us would ever give in to a piece of cake!!! I have really limited my eating after dinner in the past week and I think it is helping - along with some other changes - I have lost a few of the pounds I recently gained. I think that good habit (avoiding/limiting nighttime eating) is ultimately what works. All the same, I really hope it works for you!
I'm not a big snack before bed kind of eater, so the 3 hour thing won't change much. Here's a list of what's in it:
calories 10
fat 0
sodium 15mg
carbs 0
protein 3000mg
collagen hydrolysate (marine) 340mg
aloe vera (leaf) 9mg
other ingredients: water, glycerin, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, natural lemon and orange flavor, citric acid.
The instructions that came with it state that if you just ate protein before bed your body supposedly would use the calories...it also states that it's very important to take and go right to sleep, it warns against falling asleep on the couch for example then going to bed, claims that your body is searching for protein the first 45 minutes of sleep.

Maybe the sleeping is the key if it's going to work or not, I have no idea. Plan on catching my cousin today and asking how strictly she follows this. If it's true that you have to go right to sleep that might be the key to it working. Since I've already put out the cash to try it, it certainly won't hurt to follow the directions for a month just to see.

The only thing I can say about my first night is I hated the taste and I slept like a rock for 9 hours straight, something that is very rare for me. Could be a fluke I dunno. I woke up with a dry mouth but that could be because I usually wake up all through the night and drink water each time I do. Last night I don't even think I rolled over,lol.

Last edited by dixiegal; 04-26-2013 at 06:06 AM..
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Wow if nothing else, if it continues to help with your sleep it is well worth it. jmo
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Wow if nothing else, if it continues to help with your sleep it is well worth it. jmo
This ^
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
This ingredient collagen hydrolysate is likely what helps with joint pain and sleep. My mom started taking unflavored gelatin in the evenings before bed and she noticed a big improvement in her achy joints. A lot of people supplement with it and claim it helps you sleep better.
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegal View Post
I'm not a big snack before bed kind of eater, so the 3 hour thing won't change much.
i'm anxious to hear how you do. please let us know.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Three grams of protein is really pretty small
3gm of protein is equal to half a HB egg, have some unflavoured gelatin in some low sodium broth and I bet you have most of what is included in the wonder potion.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Just noticed the side of my tub of protein powder says the best times to take it (PP) is upon first waking, after intense physical activity like weightlifting, and prior to sleep. Seems like this "new" magic has been around for a while.
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #22
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
I have a post-dinner chocolate casein protein shake before bed a lot, but not really for weight reasons. It's just really good at keeping sweets cravings at bay.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Taking protein before sleep in any form might be a help to burning fat. I can say after taking this a few nights my sleep is nothing short of amazing and if I keep sleeping like this all month I'll keep taking it.

What I am stumped by is I started taking it on the 25th and also was determined to get back on lc'ing the same day, made it through the 25 and 26 staying lc and blew it all weekend long. Ended up spending the weekend eating things like corndogs, frozen pizza, captin crunch cereal, and even a few sugar cookies with my grand daughters I kept all weekend. Went to bed each night feeling pretty discouraged but still took my tablespoon both nights.... woke up this morning with my stomach very noticeably shrunk. I can say for sure that has never happened before. Anyway hoping to get back on induction and stay that way starting today and see how it goes.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
why not just have an atkins shake?
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABSY View Post
why not just have an atkins shake?
If it would save money I could see it, but since drinking a shake every night would cost the same maybe more, I see no reason to
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Maybe use regular protein powder? It'd last forever. 3 grams would be a lot less than a table spoon of the kind I have. It was 20 bucks for 2lbs. Mix it with a pack of unflavored gelatin and it's pretty much the same stuff for really cheap.
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I say if it works for sleep and or weight loss and you don't mind paying for the convenience...go for it. I often find trying to sub things out doesn't always work the same.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dustysbaby
Have you continued taking the liquid protein before bed? What were your results/side effects, etc.?
dustysbaby is offline   Reply With Quote