Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
Evidently some people cannot lose just doing LC alone and they need to count calories as well. This sounds like a double whammy and not sustainable.
I cannot count calories either... it would drive me crazy. But I do keep my portion sizes small. I try to not add too much salad dressing or too much cream to my coffee. This approach might be easier for you.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Well, this thread should tell you, and all of us, how different we all are.

I don't count calories with this woe. Frankly, that would feel like a "double whammy" to me too. That's one of the GREAT things about a LC woe, imo, is that you're not hungry enough to eat too many calories. In fact, there are days I have to remind myself to eat something. And yes, my cravings have decreased remarkably.

That said, I've got a lot more pounds to lose, can't say till goal, because I don't have one, per say. This time I'm just seeing where the journey takes me. As I get closer to the health and weight I feel good at, perhaps this will change.

My advice to you is to put your energy behind cutting carbs---ie, learning new recipes, providing your LC woe with the variety it takes to sustain it. That's a tall enough order to begin with, imo.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Thanks everyone... don't want to be a Debbie Downer. I will try to 2 week induction and see how that goes. I weigh 250 as of today. So, I will report back in after 2 weeks.
No need to wait two weeks. Let us know how you're doing as you go and if you need any help!
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
Thank you all for the support and advice. Wouldn't it be great if there was a WOE that applied and worked for everyone uniformly? Maybe someday they will figure it out. Meanwhile we have to take educated guesses.

BTW - lost 3 lbs from yesterday! Must be water weight~! I will take it
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieJack View Post
Thank you all for the support and advice. Wouldn't it be great if there was a WOE that applied and worked for everyone uniformly? Maybe someday they will figure it out. Meanwhile we have to take educated guesses.

BTW - lost 3 lbs from yesterday! Must be water weight~! I will take it
Congratulations!
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #36
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
When I first did Atkins, I never counted calories or even gave them any thought. I lost all my weight (50+lbs) in about a year and maintained without calorie counting for almost 2 more yrs.. Then I 'fell away'.

Fast forward to present time, I again lost 50+lbs in a year without considering calories. Sadly, I have another 40+ to lose before I get to my goal weight. I have been stalled for an obscenely long time and have tried everything that makes any sense to me and one of those is calorie counting. I think that calories are a part of the picture but far from the most important part.

All this to say that I think when it comes to weight loss, there are many things that play into it and it is constantly changing .... a moving target. Keep it simple until you have clear evidence that you need to add some other level of scrutiny and be sure that it is something that you can adhere to because that is going to be very close to what you will need to do to maintain.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 04-18-2013 at 10:12 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/139.4/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
Would some of you calorie counters please post your menus so that (clueless) people like me can get an idea of what 1200, 1100, 1000 or whatever calories on LC looks like? I know I need to count them, but not being able to eat ANY raw veggies (inc salad) makes it hard for me to fill up on super low calorie foods. Thanks!
doxielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielove View Post
Would some of you calorie counters please post your menus so that (clueless) people like me can get an idea of what 1200, 1100, 1000 or whatever calories on LC looks like? I know I need to count them, but not being able to eat ANY raw veggies (inc salad) makes it hard for me to fill up on super low calorie foods. Thanks!
I'm not lc but I count calories on my JUDDD dds and eggs are a great low carb and low calorie food, as well as fish I also ate a lot of soups, I'm sure there's low carb/low calorie soup recipes around.

Eta: there's a stickied thread in the JUDDD section called Low(ish) DD Recipes and has lots of lower carb/lower calorie ideas

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-18-2013 at 11:59 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielove View Post
I cook very simple meals so counting is super easy

5 Eggs, 200 calories of bacon, 1 cup mushrooms - 600

Dinner- big salad with all sorts of vegetables 2 tbs evoo (350) (this can be easily replaced with roasted vegetables)

7 oz of grilled wild salmon

= 1300

It helps that I don't snack and drink mostly water and tea and coffee.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 04-18-2013 at 12:10 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
My typical days are pretty similar to nolcjunk's, but dairy instead of some of her protein. Over the day, I usually have:
4 cups coffee w/1 T heavy cream each
3 ounces very good cheese
3 eggs
2 cups mixed dark greens (arugula, mache, etc) with 1 T extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon
2-3 cups steamed or raw veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, red pepper, green beans, etc)
2-3 teaspoons of butter, coconut oil or cream, or olive oil w/the veggies and eggs
6 ounces of salmon, pork, beef, chicken; sauteed or roasted quickly

This comes to about 1200 to 1300 calories, about 70 to 80 grams of protein, 100 grams of fat, 20 to 30 grams of carbs. With herbs and spices, it's delicious. And it's simple, quick to cook, and free of nasty junk, and quite filling. If I'm travelling, I'll have salami and nuts with me, so I don't eat junk, but in normal life, I don't eat them because they're too easy to mindlessly overeat (for me).

Last edited by tiva; 04-18-2013 at 01:18 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote