LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #31
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/12/11
1. Since June 2011. An on again off again relationship told me that he no longer found me sexually attractive; I was too fat. After slugging him, I went home and took a long look in the mirror and decided that he had a point. I started LC soon after that. I was on plan for a year, and was getting all sorts of positive feed back from those around me.

2. I didn't slip up during the first year, but about August a good friend got orders to ship out and we ended up doing several beer tastings and throwing a couple parties before he left. Otherwise, all my friends know about my WOE and try to make sure there are options for me. I will occasionally have a small bite of something that I really want, but it is always just one bite, it is always worth it, and that one bite always satisfies the cravings.

3. I didn't go straight back on plan as I didn't really notice a weight gain, and for the next couple months pretty much ate what I wanted without the pounds coming back, but it was almost all LC anyway as that is what I had gotten accustomed to eating.

It was only after my partner, who works on a riverboat and is normally out of town, was home for two months that I started gaining it back. I think I was just enjoying him being home and being able socialize with him that I didn't worry about it. I put on almost twenty pounds in a month, although he claims he never noticed. (This one's a keeper!)

I went back LC HARD! I went off plan for Easter this year since we hosted dinner for all our friends. I made some amazing desserts and some friends made some divine homemade bread that I didn't want to pass up, but it was right back on plan the next day.

My weight is back to where it was - and I'm looking forward to it continuing to go down. While this time I'm not getting the same positive feedback from those that are around me on a daily basis, every time my partner has come home the last few months he has constantly told me how amazing I look. I haven't really told him that I've lost weight, just that I'm back to not eating carbs because I feel better.

The look on his face when he came home this afternoon was enough to make sure another carb NEVER crosses my lips. EVER.

4. Nothing triggers off-plan eating. Any off plan eating is planned. The last time I had a craving for something sweet it was because I had strep throat and wanted ice cream and chocolate malts to soothe the pain. I will admit to indulging until the antibiotics kicked in.

Good luck with your own journey. It isn't always easy, but it is worth it.
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #32
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanita View Post

1)How long have you been practicing this WOE?
"Practicing" is a great word here. I started 8 or 9 January 2012.

Quote:
2)How many times have you slipped up?
Too many to count, especially depending on how you define "slipped up". I was great the first few months, horrible last summer (maintained, but meant to be losing), rededicated myself in the fall and hit goal. Maintained goal for a few months while considering lowering my goal, and then fell off the wagon in January of this year.

On day 4 of re-losing what I gained, down 6 of the 15 lbs.

Quote:
3)Do you go straight back to plan or do you get derailed for a period of time?
That depends. Sometimes, it's just a meal or two. Sometimes it lasts, well, a month or two (or three or four).

If it's a planned cheat (e.g., when I go to New Orleans, I *will* have a po boy on GOOD bread; I *will* have ice cream from my favorite place) I am much better about getting back on plan. Also, I'm better if the cheat doesn't happen at my home or anywhere I "usually" go, as I'm a creature of habit. Using the same example, I can cheat in NOLA and get right back on the wagon because those things aren't usually available to me.

Lastly, I'm generally better about getting back on if the cheat isn't wheat/starch-based. So, for sweets, I'm better off with frozen yogurt or ice cream than I am with a cupcake or brownie. For savory, potatoes are better than bread.

Quote:
4)What triggers this off-plan eating, for you?
That also depends. Sometimes, it's my inner two year old ("But I want
it! *insert foot stomping here*). Sometimes, it's limited choices (last week at a conference, they served "boxed lunches" - a sandwich with almost no meat, a bag of chips, and a cookie - and there wasn't anywhere nearby to go get something else. And there was no way I was making it 6 more hours without eating.). I'm usually better at gauging how a conference food will go, but this time, I failed to plan.

My suggestion, since you're new to this, is to learn from my mistakes: don't fail to plan. Don't plan to fail. Don't plan cheats until and unless you KNOW you'll get right back on.

Dieting to look good in cute clothes. Exercising to look good without them
---
I can do Hard Things.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanita View Post
Have you lost almost 50 lbs in 3 months? I looked at your stats and I'm in awe!
Awww no, not quite! I have my start date up for when I officially started LC... before that I'd lost a bit of weight just following the glycemic load diet basically, so my starting weight for January 25th was 183 I believe. So almost 30 pounds in 3 months, which isn't too shabby either I guess I probably COULD have seen a 50 pound loss in 3 months if it wasn't for my thyroid and my adrenals and all kinds of other things that make my losses slow as molasses lately
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
I've been off and on, though mostly on (in one form or another), since 2010. Right now I do Atkins and JUDDD and have been pretty strict with it for approximately a month.

Over the last 3 years, I have slipped up more times than I care to count. But have been strictly on plan with no cheats for the last month.

It depends on how bad the binge is and what I eat to take me off plan. My weakness is chocolate, doesn't matter what kind. It can be Atkins bars, Carb Smart ice cream or SF candy, even chocolate fat bombs (which luckily are self limiting because of the high fat content (thank the gods!) I would go on a rampage, then decide to get back on track the next day. It would be fine for a day or 2, then I would want more chocolate and sweets and I would either give in to it or white knuckle through it. Now that I am finally through it, I don't dare give in to those cravings. It's too hard to get back into it.

The trigger would usually be TOM's impending arrival. But it could also be being around people who eat pizza and cake and me feeling left out because they were eating it and I wasn't. I learned to make low carb versions of these goodies, but I still have to be extremely careful with chocolate because it seriously unleashes a monster.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
I have a big issue with the "slip ups" and "cheats" issue.

What exactly is a "slip up"? What is a cheat?

Although my signature says I have been cheat free for 7 months, that's MY interpretation. If you follow my blog, you'll see that I ate a mini cupcake in December because my boss' daughter baked them and was SO proud of herself, I felt horrible not tasting it.

In February, I was invited to my husband's co-worker's house and they served Thai food. I skipped the obvious cheats (mango salad and rice), but I ate the chicken cooked in coconut milk that was likely loaded with added sugar.

I remember when the low carbers on this site were SO STRICT that they considered ANYTHING eaten off plan, a CHEAT, including vegetables---eat carrots, you're a cheater and eating "off plan"! Vegetables that weren't on Atkin's approved vegetables list were a big no-no. A member was routinely bullied on another board for eating Jicama. If a person indulged in a few squares of Lindt dark chocolate that was within their daily carb level, they were big, fat CHEATERS.

More than once, I was so deflated by the people who were so strict, that I fell off the wagon.

These days, I realize what I can tolerate and I follow a low carb eating plan. (I no longer say "Atkins". It hasn't REALLY been "Atkin's" since Robert Atkins died). My low carb plan is suited for me and when my weigh loss seems stuck, I cut out a few things and it usually gets going again.

Long story short, I don't like to binge and I don't. I don't "cheat" in the sense that I never go to a restaurant and eat from the bread basket. I don't eat the croutons in my salads, but if someone makes a coleslaw with a few shreds of carrot, I'm not going to worry about it.

Like a wise person on this board once said--no one is here because they ate too many vegetables.

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeriouslyFunny
Stats: 287/xxx/165
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post
More than once, I was so deflated by the people who were so strict, that I fell off the wagon.

These days, I realize what I can tolerate and I follow a low carb eating plan. (I no longer say "Atkins". It hasn't REALLY been "Atkin's" since Robert Atkins died). My low carb plan is suited for me and when my weigh loss seems stuck, I cut out a few things and it usually gets going again.
I love that you call your WOE "Kamikaze Atkins" in your info. When I first did LC/Atkins a decade ago, I belonged to an online community and it was immensely helpful. But there were a number of super-strict Atkins followers who would berate anyone who didn't follow DANDR to the letter, and they could be pretty nasty about it. I also learned what did and didn't work for me (I always appreciated the folks who wrote, "Your body -- your science experiment") and tried to ignore the bullies. But they could be horrible, and it was tough to see how much they hurt newbies who were still finding their way.

I just started back on LC a few days ago, and started posting and reading here. I'm so glad to see how many different ways people have found to manage their own food, and the acceptance of differing viewpoints, rather than just dogma.

Re: The original question ... I'm back on LC after a long absence, but it was amazing when I lost weight with it back then. Both on-plan and off, I've found that I simply can't eat certain foods -- something about pizza, even one slice, will send me into intense carb cravings the next day. So that's both a "cheat" and a "slip," to me, if I make that choice. But if I go out to dinner and plan ahead, if I know it's not on my carb-trigger list, I simply consider it part of my eating plan, and move forward afterwards as usual.

Last edited by SeriouslyFunny; 04-17-2013 at 03:14 PM..
SeriouslyFunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I think most of us have to determine ultimately what is right for us.
I have recently done induction, but I ate an orange because the situation called for it.
No guilt, no effect on ketosis. I am not planning right now to go off plan, but it might very well just happen and I will work on damage control, getting right back on plan rather than just saying WTH. I can also see the possibility of a planned off, such as my daughter's wedding (not that there is one on the horizons). I think people can sometimes get overzealous about the "right way" of doing things (I am no innocent here) when there are lots of right ways. We draw from our experience which is valuable but it may well not apply to everyone. Feel free to reject suggestions that don't work for you. Meanwhile, happy travels!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
I'm so grateful for all your responses. I do plan pretty well so far, but I seriously value all your experiences. So thanks for sharing!
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Haven't read any replies just going by your title. The answer in 9 years is never. I have never strayed one meal in 9 years. I don't want those carbs, they aren't worth it. I will say if I want something carby I find a way to faux it or not have it at all
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
I re-started last August, have lost around 60 lbs, and have eaten off plan twice - both times when eating out at 'special' places I only visit maybe once or twice a year. The first time was a few small slices of French bread at a cheese and charcuterie tasting session, the other time was - again - a few small slices of French bread at a rather tremendous restaurant, and a creme brulée for dessert.

Both times I had no issues with returning to my usual WOE, and no discernable weight gain - though I did contract norovirus a couple of days after the second indulgence, so impossible to tell if I would have gained a lb or 2 otherwise!

I really enjoy the way I eat - but part of the reason low carbing works so well for me is that I never feel deprived on it - I'm not continually craving off plan foods. If I were to deny myself the very occasional carby food, then I'd feel all 'hair shirt' about it, and that wouldn't be good. So long as it IS very, very occasionally, and for good quality foods, then it works for me. Not got any future indulgences planned, but if someone were to invite me to dine at The Fat Duck in Bray, then I sure as heck wouldn't be thinking that I couldn't go because of my low carb restrictions!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loveispeakincode
Stats: 180/132/127
WOE: Somersize/Atkins
Start Date: (around) 4/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post
I have a big issue with the "slip ups" and "cheats" issue.

What exactly is a "slip up"? What is a cheat?

Although my signature says I have been cheat free for 7 months, that's MY interpretation. If you follow my blog, you'll see that I ate a mini cupcake in December because my boss' daughter baked them and was SO proud of herself, I felt horrible not tasting it.

In February, I was invited to my husband's co-worker's house and they served Thai food. I skipped the obvious cheats (mango salad and rice), but I ate the chicken cooked in coconut milk that was likely loaded with added sugar.

I remember when the low carbers on this site were SO STRICT that they considered ANYTHING eaten off plan, a CHEAT, including vegetables---eat carrots, you're a cheater and eating "off plan"! Vegetables that weren't on Atkin's approved vegetables list were a big no-no. A member was routinely bullied on another board for eating Jicama. If a person indulged in a few squares of Lindt dark chocolate that was within their daily carb level, they were big, fat CHEATERS.

Long story short, I don't like to binge and I don't. I don't "cheat" in the sense that I never go to a restaurant and eat from the bread basket. I don't eat the croutons in my salads, but if someone makes a coleslaw with a few shreds of carrot, I'm not going to worry about it.

Like a wise person on this board once said--no one is here because they ate too many vegetables.
good post!
i've found that the paleo crowd can be a bit too "OMG YOU MUST DO CROSSFIT OR YOU SUCK" but then the atkins group can be too "OMG YOU ATE A WHOLE CUP OF SPAGHETTI SQUASH....PFFF BETTER GO ON A FAT FAST OR YOURE SCREWED!!" you know?
anyways...I love that you brought up the whole "no one is here bc of too many veggies" line..THAT was what really got me away from the whole "as long as its sugar free, im good right?" idea..i was eating "low carb" but i was still eating junk...going with whole foods & sticking to mostly meat, butter, & veggies (yes..sometimes i even eat TWO WHOLE CUPS of spaghetti squash!!) keep me happy & healthy. i may not be losing as much as i'd like, but i'm close to goal & really to the point where my mental health (i HAD to quit obsessing so much about being thin & worrying about my carb count..i'm not fully recovered on the thin part..but i'm trying) is a bit more important than the last 5 pounds...

but i am interested in hearing yalls opinon on wine..i can say no to bread & ice cream all day long..but i miss my drinks :l
do you consider that a "cheat" after induction? & if so have you been able to maintain even with the "wine cheat" every now & then..
loveispeakincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
I didn't consider alcohol a cheat during my whole weight loss. If I drank it set me back a few days but it was usually for a social occasion which I think is an important part of life. It didn't make me crave anything and I didn't fall off the food wagon so I just rolled with it. You have to live, right? Now, I find I gain a pound or so of water weight after an evening that features cocktails, but it comes off in a day or two.

And I really love my vegetables and don't plan to give them up (besides potatoes and even they aren't permanently among the foods "I do not eat.")
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post

I really enjoy the way I eat - but part of the reason low carbing works so well for me is that I never feel deprived on it - I'm not continually craving off plan foods. If I were to deny myself the very occasional carby food, then I'd feel all 'hair shirt' about it, and that wouldn't be good. So long as it IS very, very occasionally, and for good quality foods, then it works for me. Not got any future indulgences planned, but if someone were to invite me to dine at The Fat Duck in Bray, then I sure as heck wouldn't be thinking that I couldn't go because of my low carb restrictions!
LOVE this: "then I'd feel all hair shirt about it." Exactly. Two things would make me vulnerable to falling off this woe, deprivation and boredom.

So I make sure to allow a treat meal now and then, although increasingly it's harder to make myself do it because even when out to dinner, I've found ways to order LC and totally enjoy it. But on special occasions and when I'm guest at someone else's table, I don't sweat it, and enjoy the meal. If I'm not feeling deprived, I'm in good shape.

As for the boredom, I've got a growing file on my desktop of LC recipes I have tried and liked and will make again. And I just keep adding to it. It's an adventure learning to eat well on this woe, and I find it fun.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
After induction, I don't consider moderate alcohol intake a cheat.

Of course, in the big picture, things are up to the individual, so how they view things, if they're willing to sacrifice speedier loss for convenience or the occasional indulgence, if they are an all or nothing type person, or if knowing that something is completely off limits makes them crazy. It all factors in.

I know I'm the type of person who will be okay with the occasional off-plan meal, and it won't derail me. I also know that I do better limiting them to very rarely. Due to a bunch of health issues, I don't lose nearly as fast as I used to, and I don't want to slow things down even more, so I stay on plan 99% of the time.

When a friend and I go back to our favorite restaurant (Susan Feniger's STREET) next month, which we go to once a year as a major treat, I know I'll probably have the kaya toast, even though it's not on plan. Everything else will be totally induction friendly, but I'm going to treat myself to my favorite food at my favorite restaurant once a year. I'll thoroughly enjoy it, drink a lot of water, and be back on plan immediately. I probably won't even be kicked out of ketosis, but it will be off plan. I don't consider that a big deal, I consider it living life.

But I don't indulge in every great that comes my way, and I don't use celebrations as reasons to eat off plan. I celebrate, enjoy myself, and eat what keeps me in ketosis.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 04-18-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I had a good run in 01... no real slip ups... until I stupidly quit. I stayed faithful for about a year. No slip ups. The interviening years have been one slip up after another. I try to physically avoid the temptations because I know I am weak. Everybody is. If you rub someone's nose in it long enough they will slip.
A slip can really set you back... a week or 2. It's just not worth it. If you learn where your weaknesses are, finds a way around them. Don't let a slip up recurr!
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Augie Doggie
Stats: 225/209/185 (5'10)
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: April 2, 2013
I slipped two weekends ago in induction.

I had no intentions of doing so, but my roommate prepared an entire pot of spaghetti sauce and spaghetti. He pulled out two plates. After I told him I could not have the pasta, the expression on his face said "You Jerk! I cooked for both of us!"

I had a small plate while we discussed the rules of my diet. He was naive as to what I was doing and why I couldn't have spaghetti.

I had to eat, lest I offend him.
Augie Doggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I'm sorry but I would have said "the meat sauce smells wonderful' had some of that and passed on the pasta...
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote