Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Freeze Dried Strawberries ( delish & good brand ) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802243-freeze-dried-strawberries-delish-good-brand.html)

IWILLDOIT1978 04-16-2013 07:55 AM

Freeze Dried Strawberries ( delish & good brand )

Has anyone tried this? If so have you had any problems with stalls? I was thinking this summer this might be something good to bring along as an early morining breakfast or late night snack to the lake. They are very good. There are 22 carbs for the whole bag; 4 dietary fiber; 100 calories; 2 protein; 16 sugar
It is not something I would eat every morning or even the whole bag but maybe something to go along with precooked bacon or alone as a snack. Have you had these? Stalls? Thanks!! :)

raindroproses 04-16-2013 08:36 AM

Yikes, that'd be too many carbs/too much sugar for me! As far as I know though, freeze dried or dried ANY fruit is generally not as smart to eat as regular old whole fruit... the reasoning having to do with the glycemic load of the foods. Put simply, if you were going to eat the carbs it's smarter (or more efficient I suppose) to eat the WHOLE version of the carby food because it's more filling... it contains much more water, and possibly a bit more fiber also... so this lessens the effect the food has on our blood sugar because our serving size will likely be less and the water acts as a filler. Dried versions and things like applesauce or juice are generally worse for us because they're devoid of some of that filler (water, or in applesauce or juice's case fiber) and we'll usually consume larger quantities of them and there's also no buffer in there to cushion the blow of the carbs on your body versus the whole fruit. Does that make sense?

That being said, I've never tried them... I wouldn't, personally. If I was going to eat fruits, it'd definitely be the whole fresh variety! Someone on here I know a while back ate some dried pineapple though and not only stalled a bit but put on quite a bit of water weight from it too, and that was after one day. YMMV though, but I'd strongly caution against it if you're trying to truly follow strict LOW carb!

IWILLDOIT1978 04-16-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16376297)
Yikes, that'd be too many carbs/too much sugar for me! As far as I know though, freeze dried or dried ANY fruit is generally not as smart to eat as regular old whole fruit... the reasoning having to do with the glycemic load of the foods. Put simply, if you were going to eat the carbs it's smarter (or more efficient I suppose) to eat the WHOLE version of the carby food because it's more filling... it contains much more water, and possibly a bit more fiber also... so this lessens the effect the food has on our blood sugar because our serving size will likely be less and the water acts as a filler. Dried versions and things like applesauce or juice are generally worse for us because they're devoid of some of that filler (water, or in applesauce or juice's case fiber) and we'll usually consume larger quantities of them and there's also no buffer in there to cushion the blow of the carbs on your body versus the whole fruit. Does that make sense?

That being said, I've never tried them... I wouldn't, personally. If I was going to eat fruits, it'd definitely be the whole fresh variety! Someone on here I know a while back ate some dried pineapple though and not only stalled a bit but put on quite a bit of water weight from it too, and that was after one day. YMMV though, but I'd strongly caution against it if you're trying to truly follow strict LOW carb!

That's what I was thinking. Better to eat fresh. I just thought it would keep longer this way. Especially since I NEVER eat fruit anyways!! I wouldn't eat all of it in one setting either. Probably just a handful here and there!! :) I thought they might have been okay in a pinch since the only ingredient in them was dried strawberries and no sugar added!! :) But it still made me a little nervous or I wouldn't have posted this!! LOL!!

emily1965 04-16-2013 11:37 AM

Dried fruit = candy

IWILLDOIT1978 04-17-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily1965 (Post 16376712)
Dried fruit = candy

The only ingredient in them were strawberries. So thought they might be okay.

Karerose 04-17-2013 12:48 PM

I eat Trader Joe's freeze dried strawberries. They slice them up before freeze drying, and I would say about the equivalent of one strawberry is what I eat at a time. Just enough for a little sweet fix when needed. The package last me a long long time. I have no problems with them, and they are sweet enough that I don't want more than that at a time. My daughter is actually the one that suggested them to me - she eats them like I do.

IWILLDOIT1978 04-17-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karerose (Post 16379036)
I eat Trader Joe's freeze dried strawberries. They slice them up before freeze drying, and I would say about the equivalent of one strawberry is what I eat at a time. Just enough for a little sweet fix when needed. The package last me a long long time. I have no problems with them, and they are sweet enough that I don't want more than that at a time. My daughter is actually the one that suggested them to me - she eats them like I do.

That's about how much I eat at a time. Not much. Just thought it might be better than sugar free pudding that I have had in the past. I just don't want to eat them if they are going to cause a stall. That was my biggest concern!! :)

rubidoux 04-17-2013 12:56 PM

The ones I have tried were very sour. My kids ate the bananas out of the bag and left the strawberries bc they just weren't that good.

But, if you like them... I'd suggest not eating them in the morning. For most of us (maybe all?) our bodies are more sensitive to carbs in the morning. This is why Dr. Bernstein recommends his 6-12-12 diet -- 6 grams carb for b'fast and 12 for the other meals. So for me, even real strawberries would be something I save for later in the day.

Janknitz 04-17-2013 01:26 PM

I buy the TJ's dried fruits--strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. I like that they are crumbly dry, so I can take just a few pieces and crumble them up in something else (yogurt, flax cereal, etc.). I'm only getting the equivalent of 1 strawberry or 3 or 4 raspberries/blueberries, but lots of flavor.

During this time of year, once the strawberries become plentiful and inexpensive, I buy several pounds, slice the berries (an egg slicer does this really well!) and dry them in my dehydrator. They are leathery, not crumbly, but so tasty. I store them in vacuum sealed jars so I can have that wonderful strawberry taste even in winter (except when my littlest kid ate several fresh pints-worth of dried strawberries one sitting--grrrrr!). 4 or 5 slices of dried strawberry is equivalent to 1 berry, but intensely delicious.

Karerose 04-17-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16379055)
The ones I have tried were very sour. My kids ate the bananas out of the bag and left the strawberries bc they just weren't that.

They are a little sour as well as sweet. Probably why just a tiny bit goes a long way. Definitely not just sweet like a fresh strawberry. I like sour stuff, so it was never an issue for me.

pocahontas 04-17-2013 02:04 PM

If the ingredients are just strawberries, I would be fine eating them. If they have added sugar or chemicals, its a no go for me. For me, the ingredients play a bigger role than the numbers.

Strawberry 04-17-2013 03:45 PM

Quite a long time ago, I was into the Target brand (Archer Farms) freeze dried strawberries. I actually havent bought them in a while... but they were good. You do have to be careful to keep the bag closed and not let humidity get to them, or they lose their crispness.

http://img3.targetimg3.com/wcsstore/...3/13238823.jpg

CindyCRNA 04-17-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karerose (Post 16379036)

I love their freeze dried fruit and they are usually no sugar added. Love the strawberries!

BSR3 04-17-2013 08:39 PM

My daughter loves them. The brand we buy is Crunchies and you can find them at Walmart. They also have mixed berries. I don't eat them. Too many carbs for me, but they are her favorite snacks. They are not dried fruit. They are the whole strawberry and nothing else.