Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2002, 12:49 PM   #1
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
NEW MEMBERS.. Please come introduce yourself!!!

Hi,

Break the ice and introduce yourself here, so we can welcome our newcomers and get to know YOU.
There is a lot of diet support here so don't be shy.. jump right in.. Tell us your plan (Atkins, South Beach, The Zone or just a low carb lifestyle as well as non low carb diets such as weight watchers or low calories or any program.. we welcome them all!!) and how you're doing.

If you need help make sure you post your questions in a new thread so people can see what help you are needing.

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aa34
Stats: 181/179/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2011
Hi all! Just became a member for the first time although I've followed low carb friends from time to time over a number of years. I now want to stay connected because I need all the support I can get. I've followed various diets throughout my life, but the low carb way seems always to work for me when others fail. I'm kinda Atkins follower but not too strict, wanting mainly to keep flour & sugar out of my life & out of my eating. I need help from you all. Had lost 50 lbs 5 years ago and have gradually put back on 30, not to mention having to get back into larger sizes. Look forward to the new LOW CARB LIFE to which I've been able to stick for the past 8 days. Hope to hear from lots of you!
Aa34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Hi from Central PA

I have been LCing since I read the Feb. issue of Readers Digest. The article about Gary Taubes and how the food pyramid is topsy turvey, and why we are getting fatter the harder we diet made a lot of sense to me. So I started Atkins that week and in the last 6 mo. have lost 45lbs. I plateaued twice for 3-4 weeks each time. I 've gotten lots of help from this site and from Linda's Recipes. So thanks to everyone who contributes helpful hints and encouraging comments. btw I have not cheated by eating sugar or bread type carbs, only overdoing it on allowable stuff. Its great not having cravings every hour of the day any more.
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JillAnne
Stats: 277/234/175
WOE: VLC started 1/18/13
Start Date: 07/18/2011
Back on the wagon

Had fabulous success with Atkins in 2004 after baby #2. Had great success with Atkins in 2008 after baby #3. Starting tomorrow I'm going to find my way back to being healthier, more energetic, and happier again after baby #4 and starting at my heaviest weight ever.

I'm tired of staying home when my husband takes the kids to the pool! I'm sick of having 2 pairs of pants that fit because I cannot bring myself to try on clothes. I refuse to continue wearing my maternity work pants when my son is nearly a year old.

I LOVE this site. I lurked quite a bit in 2008 and this time I want to join everyone in sharing successes and struggles.

Everyone here is an inspiration- I'm going to be leaning on you hard!!!
JillAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Soulsiren22
Stats: 241.8/235.8/150
Start Date: July 2011 (restart)
Fell off the wagon but I will be re-starting again. I just have to work one day at a time and make sure I diligently write everything down. Wish me luck. Feel free to check in with me.
Soulsiren22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shay7187
Stats: 235/228/160
Start Date: June 2014
Hello everyone,

I first heard of Atkins years ago when my mother followed it and had great results. However I never wanted to try it because back then there wasn't that many products to help or great sites like these(at least that I know of) and what she ate was so limited basically meat, cheese, and green veggies. This all changed for me not to long ago when I had a paper to write for my nutrition class and I decided to write it on Atkins. Through research I found out that there are now lots of products out there to help so you don't feel like your eating the same thing all the time. I also discovered recipes that I think are great and will help me a lot (Rev rolls & Oopsie rolls). Anyways I started a few days ago and look forward to the weight loss and interacting with this site. This really is a GREAT site!!!
Shay7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sjhardy13
Stats: 182.8/158 5'7" large frame 39 y.o.
WOE: Atkins Induction (again) 1-3-12
welcome everyone!
sjhardy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MsTLF
Stats: 143/126
WOE: LC
Start Date: 07/11/2011
Hello....Let me just say that I am glad to know that I am not alone. I've spent a great deal of time reading thru this site over the weekend and then making the committment to join. I've had great results with low carbing in the past. Unfortunately, even falling partially off the wagon, does major damage and over the years, not watching LC like a hawk and just enjoying a few carbs here and there, I've put every bit back on and then some. Fortunately, I've never been extrememly over weight, but these excess pounds are making me just misreable. Unique to my eating situation is that I do not have a thyroid gland. It was removed 23 years ago because of benighn tumors that had stranggled it. I've been on medication since my mid 20's. Plus I'm sure I'm in menapause. I've come full circle once again and am on the upswing from some mild depression. I'm looking forward to having my low carb friend kick regularly and being inspired by everyone else that suffers from this condition. Thanks. T =)
MsTLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emailyasi
WELCOME JillAnne !!! I just had a baby too and I feel the same way!
I am a social butterfly and it sucks to be the fluffy one in all the pictures! sirght? LOL
We can do this! Join us on the Low Carb Challenges page under Sarge!
Good luck to you!
emailyasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Great job Soulsiren! you went from weighting Stats: 234/227.8/ all the way to 155!
That's awesome! I want this to be my story too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Welcome to all of our new LCers! Yes, this will work, if you stick with it. Some may have a harder time, some an easier time. Come here often for the support. We are here to help. If one doesn't know the answer, someone else usually does.

Like a big family, LCFs is here for you. Good luck on this wonderful WOE!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RetroVegas
Stats: 334/317.7/145
Start Date: July 18, 2011
I just joined and starting Atkins today, I'm excited to lose weight and live my life. I let my weight control my life long enough. I'm excited to meet new members and help support them in their journey and hopefully have the support returned.
RetroVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #13

Welcom Retro. Too many of us (including myself) allowed the weight to control us. Now, it is time for us to turn the tables. To get in control. You will see how this not only helps the weight, but other areas of your life as well!

Most find so many positives from LCing. The induction can start rough for some, but don't give up. Soon you will be feeling all the good parts of this WOE!

This is the first day of the rest of your life! How do you want to remember it?
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: workoutgirl
Stats: 176/151/120
WOE: Blue Sky MD
Start Date: August 1, 2011
Low carb

What books do you recommend? When you add carbs back do you regain the weight? Healthy carbs I mean not junk.
workoutgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
Okay, I've been here since 6/13/11, but I don't think I ever introduced myself.

I'm SeaMaiden (Kate), 43, live in SoCal. Happily Married and over-weight.

Was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in '91. Was diagnosed with gluten intolerance in 11/'09. Been struggling with my weight for over 20 years.

Did LC 2 other times, lost about 25-30 lbs, but slowly gained it after eating carbs again.

Finally decided to read the book and do Induction to the letter. Lost 11.5 lbs the first 2 weeks! I decided this time it's going to be a Way of Life Forever and not a "diet".

I've been having a blast tweaking recipes to make them low carb and have felt so much better without all that sugar coursing through my veins! I actually look forward to seeing my doctor in September and having my blood tests... I know they're going to be so much better!

The scale is slowing down now, (I know I'm losing inches)...but as long as I keep moving in the right direction... I'll be happy!

Hi, I'm Kate!

Don't live your life by what the scale says, just live your life and keep on going!

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”~ Wayne Dyer

"No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again." ~ Buddha
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
Hi, I just registered for the site today, and am very happy I did. So much great info. I started low-carb on Saturday 7/16 after coming from a well known plan (WW) that just wasn't working for me. After months of frustration, I decided I needed to try something different, so here I am.

I would like to lose 50 pounds but am taking it one day at a time, and have 5 pound mini goals in mind. Good luck to all the other newbies
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #17
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Welcome to the site everyone.. It is great to see so many people signing up lately!!! Workoutgirl.. I would try the Atkins book.. Dr Atkins was the pioneer of the lowcarb movement and tons of diets seems to have spun off of his diet program.. One good thing is once you are in ketosis and have been on the WOE a week or so any tiredness is about gone so you should not have any problems working out.. I used to work out 6 days a week and loved it!! I would like to get back to working out and will be trying to go back to the gym soon.. (A car wreck has kept me from the gym)..

Good luck to everyone.. Don't forget that to get support you need to read and post as much as you can.. it certainly helps!

Have fun!!

cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
Cheri, just read your story! How inspirational!!!!!! xoxo
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #19

Atkins would be the first. It will help answer so many questions for you.

If I add too many, I would gain. I still have to watch how many. When you are ready to maintain, you will add healthy carbs slowly to see how many you can eat and not gain. You will most likely be able to eat more healthy carbs and not regain. (It is detailed better in Atkins books.) I am still attempting to lose a few more, so I am not yet trying to maintain, though my body is! LOL

I hope I helped you understand it a bit more. Really, Dr. A explains it the best
Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: katberz
Hello, another newbie here! I started Atkins a few weeks ago after years of yo-yo dieting on high carb plans and I'm really pleased with the results so far - already down a dress size. Ideally I'd like to lose 50 or so pounds but I'm not going to stress out too much over the number on the scale so long as inches keep going down.
katberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sjhardy13
Stats: 182.8/158 5'7" large frame 39 y.o.
WOE: Atkins Induction (again) 1-3-12
Katberz----great way of thinking!
Welcome everyone!
sjhardy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mollyme123
Stats: 175
Newbie from Nashville! I haven't perscriped to a specific low carb diet yet...I'm hoping that I can learn a little more about the different ones on this site. At the moment, I'm just trying to watch what I eat...you know more fruits and veggies, less bread...I know very little about low carb eating, but I'm really excited about learning from everyone! But the exciting part is that every since I started really trying (just shy of 4 weeks ago) I've lost a grand total of 4 lbs. Not real big...but it's still a loss, right?
mollyme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Been a lurker for ages and finally joined!

Post deleted by author.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Hi mollyme123!
Great Job on low carbing your way into your new Lifestyle!!!
Telling us you already lost a grand total of 4 lbs IT IS A BIG DEAL!!!
Who-Hoooooo!!!! keep it up and soon you will see a grand total loss of 40 pounds before you know!!!
Join us in the Low Carb Challenge unger "Sarge Attack"...those ladies and I will keep you truly motivated my friend!!!
WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ByeByeGut
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/11/11
Trying it again

85 lb weight loss goal - Already have lost 20, but 65 to go.

Been eating clean and going to gym, but cheating. Gonna do Atkins 72 for 60 days and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the wealth of info. Cant wait to lose weight.

Kevin
ByeByeGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: littlestone
Stats: 140/115/115
WOE: Fatkins
Start Date: June 2011
I've been lurking here long enough, figured I may as well create an account and step out of the proverbial shadows :3
littlestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RetroVegas
Stats: 334/317.7/145
Start Date: July 18, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycitygirl View Post
Welcom Retro. Too many of us (including myself) allowed the weight to control us. Now, it is time for us to turn the tables. To get in control. You will see how this not only helps the weight, but other areas of your life as well!

Most find so many positives from LCing. The induction can start rough for some, but don't give up. Soon you will be feeling all the good parts of this WOE!

This is the first day of the rest of your life! How do you want to remember it?
Thanks Kittycitygirl, my boyfriend is doing the program also so that helps a lot! I thought I would struggle on the first day but I didn't, I really enjoyed it. I'm not working currently so that helps cause I attempted law school and found it rather boring so I'm taking time off to focus on me and then go back to school or find a job again. Thanks for the encouraging words!!
RetroVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bookmaiden
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: July 2011
Hi there! Just started SB 2 days ago and am doing pretty well with it. I've tried Atkins in the past and it made me sick to my stomach. For me, I think this is a much healthier eating plan because it does encourage vegetables and healthy fats. I have a serious addiction to sugar so it's been a little tough but I have NOT been hungry! I stumbled on this site and am really excited about the tips and suggestions from others!
Bookmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LC_4_ME
oldie returns to the trenches

I've been around for a long time. But have to get back into trouble before I wake up an get back to the basics of low carbing. The first named low carb diet for me was Stillman's. Later Atkins and a whole list of others with many times of "falling off the wagon". But here I am again. Please don't ask me why because the answer is obvious: IT WORKS!!!
LC_4_ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evrrdy
Stats: 5'1--154/127/115
Start Date: February 2003
Been so long since I was here last

Hi everybody!
I haven't been on this site in forever. I have been up and down with life. Up and down with emotions and up and down with weights. It never seems to end. However, I truly think it's time for me to step up and face the accountability that unless I take care of myself, I can't take care of others. I've moved several times, changed jobs, careers and husbands since I was on and somewhere along the way I lost myself again. Luckily I'm not so out of control taht I can't find my way back and get started again.

So, right now, I'm bouncing between 135 and 140. Unfortunately, this time last year I was at 126 and that's depressing. I fell into a deep funk over the winter and stress and a multitude of "not caring" led me back down the starch/sugar induced indulgences of the 10-15 lb weight gain.

Anyways, I have steadily over the last 6 months began to "get back to being me" and this has always been a part of me.

Glad to be back on board and I hope everyone is doing great!
evrrdy is offline   Reply With Quote