Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #1171
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Baggy1970

Hi I'm on week 2 of a general low carb aiming for between 30-50 per day. First week lost 6 pound and current weight 224.5 - still finding my feet and doing it along with my son whose also doing the plan.

Grateful for any support
Baggy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #1172
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rachmarie
Hi all

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and am looking for recipes that are both inexpensive and lower in carbs to help incorporate into my diet. Also for higher fiber since I have IBS as well as a major history of colon cancer (both my dand and his mom had colon cancer).
rachmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #1173
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alexander home
WOE: Zeal
Hi, I'm new here! My name is Christi I did Atkins about 12 years ago and lost almost 20 pounds, but now I'm totally lost on all the new low carb options.... I've been trying to just eat better but I'm still not losing all I want/need too! I workout 6days a week and lift 3 days of that.... Hope to meet some new friends and learn more options
Alexander home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #1174
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JustMeD
Stats: 257/215/169
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 02/01/2014
Hello all. Single, white, female here....looking for....oh wait wrong board....HA! Just wanted to pop in here and say hi. Not really a newbie to LC....second time (LAST TIME) around the block for me.

I've been "lurking" here for a few days....great vibes, lots of information, and from what I can see good-natured people.

Im nearly halfway to my *goal* weight (subject to change) and looking forward to sharing the journey with you fine people.

Have an amazing day~
Diane
JustMeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #1175
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bmorris10
I just started low carb on June 30th. I lost 8 pounds the first week, with 20 carbs or less per day. After that, I decided to try 50 carbs or less per day and will weigh again tomorrow. I'm pretty lax it right now, but feel better, and am avoiding processed foods. I've seen a difference in inches already. Hoping this site will help me
Bmorris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #1176
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sudie
Hi all! July 13th will be my first day of the low carb diet. Glad to be a member! Thanks for the acceptance.
Sudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #1177
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Raeli

Hi I'm new to this. I just finished a 3 day egg fast and lost 4.4 lb back on regular Atkins today
Raeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #1178
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coldinalaska
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12 2014
NEW MEMBERS.. Please come introduce yourself!!!

I am in Day 3 of Induction...and needing a little boost, so I thought I'd join this site where I see there are many wonderful people who are dealing with issues just as I am.
I'm 53 years old and on Friday I had to go somewhere and nothing I had fit me. and we went to the store, and nothing THEY had looked good, and I saw myself in the fitting room mirror and I just cringed. Who was that person? It wasn't me! I thought about not going (it was to a bridal shower) but then I thought "that's it, the last straw". I could go over all the other things that led up to this -- a lady at a dress store telling me that I was 'large', feeling embarrassed to get into my bathing suit -- but it would just depress me. And I want to DO something about it.
And what makes me so unhappy is that the clothes I had were from just four years ago. How can I have gained so much weight in four years that my clothes no longer fit??

I guess there's lots of reasons. The coffee shop downstairs where I buy my breakfast pastries is one. The sandwich shop where I get lunch (with fries) is another! Clearly I had to put a stop to it!
So I started Induction on Saturday. It's been really hard to figure out how to do this on my work schedule, though. It takes planning, and then sticking to the plan. It takes packing a food sack the night before. I can eat the contents of the food sack anytime I am at work. Once it's gone, I can't go get more food. From my food sack today, here's what I ate:
Breakfast: cup of chamomile tea at 800 am
2 pieces rolled up ham, three two-inch pieces of cut up celery and two broccoli florets at 930 am
Snack: Atkins daybreak shake at 1030
Lunch: Left over bbq rib (no sauce) and 1/4 sliced red pepper; 8 oz sparkling water at 1230 pm

I still have string cheese and another 1/4 red pepper in my food sack but I'm not hungry. Odd, as it's almost 3 and usually I'm starving by then!
When I get home, the next challenge will be what to eat. It's ALWAYS a challenge, as we don't do well at cooking and planning with both my DH and I working -- we usually pick up takeout.
So I've stuck with the plan for three days now, no real desire to cheat -- but I've done no exercise other than a few walks with DH. I think that may be the other ingredient I need.
So my goals for this week: plan each day's food sack the night before AND plan that day's dinner; ten minutes on the treadmill in the evening three days this week.
coldinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #1179
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HossBoss
Newbie here!

Hi guys - My name is Tammy...I am new here but not new to losing weight or low carbing... At my highest I weighed 272 lbs and got down to a much healthier 165lbs a few summer ago... 2 years ago I found out my dad was sick and I lost him last fall to lung cancer. Now I don't know if it was the stress or what but I gained back up to 215 as of recently I have always maintained with low carb but for losses I have to be 100% strict. I have insulin resistance and PCOS so weight loss is hard as nails for me... But I know I can - and WILL - do it!! I also have a bad hip/low back and am waiting for a surgeon to make his decision on surgery. I've been browsing on this forum and it seems like an amazing group of very supportive people. I have been 'back on the wagon' for a little over a week now - and was 210 this morning so I am headed in the right direction. Ketosis is in full go and I am feeling wonderful and full of energy and not hungry... Its what works for me!
HossBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #1180
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: osubosco
Stats: 322/303/199
WOE: Ketogenic Low Carb
Start Date: 7/14/14
Hi everybody! I've been on Atkins in the past, and had some success with it. Over the weekend my wife told me she was going to start it again on Monday and I just made a spur of the moment decision to try it again. The last time I did it, I lost over 25 lbs, but it was a stressful time as our kitchen was being remodeled and we couldn't cook much at home. This time I feel like I have more options and I can make a go of it. Plus, with my wife being on it at the same time, it works well for both of us.

I stepped on the scale Monday morning (yesterday) and I weighed more than I ever have. It's a horrible feeling. How did I let myself get here? I have my work cut out for me. My eventual goal is 199 (I am 6'2"). That would be a total of 123 lbs that needs to go. Let's do this!
osubosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #1181
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: threeukuleles
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: July 2014
Not exactly New to LC, but re-doing it for health reasons

I am re-doing low-carb as for me it is the only sustainable way of eating which helped me to reverse my eating disorder symptoms and defaults. With my latest relapse, I went into treatment and did not like it. They fed me most of my trigger foods HIGH carb, and claimed to help me work through the "feelings" but all I saw was weight gain, the urges being exacerbated, and guilt and shame. While that program may work for many with EDNOS (anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, all symptoms kind of mooshed up into one), or anorexia, bulimia, it simply triggered me even more. I left worse off than when I started. And then got worse after discharge. My attempts at individual therapy didn't work as my therapist didn't want to stray from the conventional treatment I was just getting out of!

It dawned on me all of a sudden that if I am going to be purge-binge free I needed to remember ways of eating that didn't trigger bingeing (I've tried SO many!!!), and low-carb jumped out at me like a dormant epiphany.

I am currently starting out a couple small meals per day of VERY high fat, low volume so my stomach doesn't feel like I've had a binge, and am working my way to one meal per day. So far it has worked as I've had already TWO meal successes where I don't have the urge to either "finish a binge" or go to the bathroom and....youknow. The most I've done independently since, I don't know when.

I'm 47 years old and have grown sick and tired of having eating disorders for the better part of 35 years.... I'm starting to work out a menu on my own terms, to figure out which foods I want to stick with over time, for the long term. There are a surprisingly good amount of low-carb foods, most meats (no pork or shellfish), and fats that seem to work well so far. Mushrooms and cucumbers seem to be the next where vegetables are concerned. Aside from butter, I am treading carefully around dairy (a long time trigger). Next I want to try (clean) heavy cream, so it's not a far stretch from butter. In the absence of sugar, I think it can handle it. Losing a few pounds or even keeping my weight intact is sort of important, but lets get the physiology of eating down pat first.

Thank you for listening thus far.
threeukuleles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:25 AM   #1182
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb

Please look around!
This is a large site and there's something for everyone
LCF has a large, member driven recipe board; a HUGE "challenges" board for just about any goal you are looking for; and many plan specific boards for information about certain eating plans.

If you have any site related questions, there is a "contact us" link at the bottom of every page.

And please take a sec and look at the sticky threads at the top of this board (Main Lobby) for the quick version of the site rules
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #1183
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: funkynassau
WOE: t2 diabetes, low carb
Newbie from Ontario

Hi,
I just joined this group having found it with a google search for low carb coconut oil recipe ideas. This looks like the place for me

I have t 2 diabetes and take oral meds and started on insulin in May. My bg levels have improved tremendously and I can admit I was a big chicken needle phobe and I was foolish to have waited so long. It's no big deal to use insulin so I have discovered!

The low card WOE is working well for me, and I believe it is sustainable for me for the long haul. I'm here for inspiration and support.

Thanks,
Funkynassau in Ontario, Canada
funkynassau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #1184
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: burhead
Stats: 190/190/155
hi!

Well, here I am back on low carb. Isn't it funny how we try other diets and we always end up back on low carb cause it works? The first time I did Atkins was back in the 70s when it first came out. I even got off birth control pills so I could start the diet...over the years I've been off and on. When I was younger I took diet pills and lost a lot of weight. In 2004 I lost 45# on Atkins. Now here I am weighing more than I ever have. I take lyrics and Zoloft and bp pill. I'm getting off of all 3 of these meds. I don't need them anymore. Does anyone know if these meds can keep low carb from working as well? I am just desperate to get this weight off. My knees hurt all the time.
OK, sorry for yammering on so! Lol!
Beverly
burhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #1185
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bellamae
From Canada

Hello, nice to meet you all. I started low carb mid October 2013 and I dropped 50 pounds in less than four months. I've struggled with my weight all my life and I only wish I had started it earlier. Having an internal ultrasound that revealed a fat liver and my doctor warning me I was one step of becoming diabetic was the final straw, I had to lose weight for health reasons. I did take a break for a few months without gaining a pound and now have started it again. I have lost another three pounds in a week I went into regular clothing stores this afternoon and for the first time in years I found regular sizes that fit me. Just to stand in front of the mirror and see that fat has melted off my stomach feels wonderful! And it's even more awesome not to be addicted to sugar anymore On the way to losing another 30 pounds and getting into my size 10 designer jeans!
Bellamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #1186
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JField1965
Stats: 235/229/155
Start Date: July 2, 2014
New to this site

Hello -- I'm new to this site and looking for support. I'm a new empty-nester after raising my son by myself the past 10 years. It is time to take care of myself and begin a new lifestyle. I'm 5'6", 49 years old and 229 pounds with IR. I know a low-carb lifestyle is the right choice for me. Right now I am following the Atkins Plan.
JField1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #1187
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maca

Hello all. I'm not new to low-carb (made a half a#!ed attempt years ago when it was the in thing to do and therefore gave up during 3rd day of induction). Being older wiser and heavier I've decided to actually make a lifestyle choice and have therefore lasted one full month and lost 8 pounds while eating full fat low carbs. Still can't believe I can lose more weight eating bacon than not eating bacon. I know because I've tried every diet. Anyway, hello!!
maca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #1188
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sushpi
Stats: 245/238/150
Start Date: March 20, 2006; restart July 13, 2014
Atkins Revisited

Hey ya'll! My name is Susan. I'm revisiting Atkins after a long hiatus. The last time I did it, I lost about 60lbs, but went back to my bad old habits, and regained plus 10 more. I started over July 14, and have lost seven pounds. I took measurements Saturday, and again this morning and have lost four inches total. I'm a ketostix addict, and love me some Bullet Proof Coffee!!

Susan
sushpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #1189
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimela
Hello to all!

My name is Kimela and I started low carbing in February. I had about 20 pounds to lose (hate how it just sneaks up on you) - and I'm 54, so it doesn't just fall off anymore! Heck, it never did, but now it's so much harder with the hormone issues.

Anyway, I lost most of my 20 and I'm happy where I am. I'll never be a VS model and that's not my goal. I just want to be healthy and happy in my own skin.

Btw, as an adult I've always had some IBS issues - when younger it was diarrhea and as an older adult it's been ... ahem... constipation. Since I've been low-carbing I've had no problems! My doc said that I might have a touch of a gluten issue and this diet has helped out as a result. Either way, I think I'm mostly a low-carber for life now. I just feel better.

I have questions, but I'll try to find another spot to ask. Thanks much. I've been checking things out here for helpful hints for months. You guys are great!

Kimela
Kimela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #1190
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janCAD
Thank you for the welcome!

It's good to have support. I just reread the Carb Addicts Diet by the Hellers and then ordered one of their more recent books - essentially a rewrite of the original. Am enjoying the concept of it all, getting my insulin levels back in normal range and feeling more focused and in control. Lost about 5 lbs in 5 wks - slow going, but am dealing with psychological addiction too - which doesnt die so easy. Little by little though, it is coming together and i am feeling for the first time in my life, that maybe i can lose the weight i need and not gain it back... we'll see.

Eager to have some support though, it gets lonely! And to make this the healthiest possible way to lose weight with hi veggie intake. WOuld love to hear from anyone who has tried it and lives by the addict diet way - and to offer support when i can!
janCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #1191
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janCAD
thanks for your experiences

And a special greeting to the person dealing with the eating disorder. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I was a nurse who tried to help people with those disorders years ago and i commend you for taking ahold of the physiological aspects of it first. Diagnosed or not, i bet a very large % of us here have many a story to tell about binging. I can't make a cake as a gift without eating most of it before the recipient arrives. America has not dealt with their carb addiction (see recent Times article) and it is causing most of us to be obese, t2 diabetic or insulin resistant. Kudos to everyone for not drinking the coolaid anymore!
janCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #1192
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: littlered
Stats: 210/164.6/140
WOE: Atkins / LCHF
Introduction

Hi Everyone - I am not new to low carbing, I've been eating low carb since the beginning of 2012 and I've lost about 55 lbs. I started out around 210 lbs and I'm currently around 155 lbs. I'd like to lose the last 15 (my goal has been 140) or so but I find I gain and lose the same 5 lbs over and over again. Some of that is because I sometimes carb binge and I have some trouble with food issues. I'm working on it. I also don't exercise much because I think I hate it.

In any event, I feel so close and yet so far. Every time I make progress I sabotage myself. Some people in my life are very unhelpful but I am usually ok on my own. I'm not sure whether to continue what I've been doing and eat a low carb diet generally speaking or whether I should try something more structured like Atkins.

I'm so glad to meet all of you and any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
littlered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #1193
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Iammeme
Start Date: July 20, 2014
I am new at this Low Carbing thing. My sister had (and still has) great success with this new way of eating a few years ago. She is my guiding light in this new process.

I must admit I have my doubts that it will work for me, but I have to try something. In the past 2 years I've gained so much weight I no longer recognize myself. I simply MUST get healthy again and I need all the help I can get.

I'm looking forward to this new journey and adventure. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
Iammeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #1194
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbgirl14
Stats: 236/219.4/170
WOE: Closest to Atkins
Start Date: Restarted 7-14-14
Hello all! I'm new here. I've perused this site plenty of times when looking up low carb info but had never joined til today.

I lost 48 lbs last year doing low carb and looked and felt great. I ended up gaining 30 back. I lost 3.6 last week and am still going! This is def a way of life and for me, I just got off track. It was never b/c I didn't believe in what I was doing. You fall and you get back up.

Best wishes to everyone!
lowcarbgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #1195
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Metallux
Hi Low carb friends

I'm restarting my low carb life. I've been on Atkins probably 3 times in the past. I generally prefer to eat more on the fatty/veggie side of things and don't especially like sugar anyhow so the diet works the best for me.

I'm joining because every time I do a web search on low carb things, this board comes up with good answers to any of my questions!

So far I've passed induction just fine and now am into week 3. This board actually helped me avoid carb flu like a charm, absolutely no problems like I had one very difficult previous time. I'm up to around 40 carbs day and testing out various food responses, and have lost 5-8 pounds depending on water fluctuations that day.
Metallux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #1196
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elp111800
Stats: 291.4/291.4/150
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: 7/23/14
Hello, I'm new here. I've used this site for reference and recipes several times in the past. I keep cycling between Weight Watchers and low carb. I had a bad experience with the staff at a WW meeting after actually having a GAIN while doing that plan so I've decided to quit doing WW for good.

I'm starting the SBD today. It doesn't look like the SBD section is too active, here so I'll probably be posting in the weight loss journal section.

~Erin
elp111800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #1197
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hollie27
Stats: 284/207/150
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1999/2012
Trying to get serious about sticking with low carbing this time. I have been living the low carb lifestyle on and off for about 15 years, since I was 14! It works awesome for me. I have been 180lbs then 130lbs, then all the way up to 284lbs and back down to 190lbs. Now im back up to 280. Im a pro at losing it, just not keeping it off! hoping to find some friends to help me continue and maintain. I'm a mother of two and starting nursing school in the fall. My goal is to be healthy and happy and healthy so I can take care of those around me! I signed up for a weight loss challenge, I want to lose 100lbs in 6 months. I know I can do it, just scared about what happens after I reach my goal.
hollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #1198
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jbeemer2

Hi! I'm Jennifer, and I'm so glad I found this forum! I've been reading a few weeks, but now I'm ready to post!

My whole family eats either Atkins and/or LCHF. I've got about 15 pounds to still lose.

The ideas are amazing! The recipes are amazing! I look forward to getting to know you!
Jbeemer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #1199
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: honey23
Stats: 287
Hello

Hi

I have never joined a bulletin board but I feel a lack of motivation to keep losing weight. I am a considered obese and have always been that fat girl/woman. I was bullied through out my schooling and just fell into a void of food. I am also celiac I do not eat any flour and I have found it easy to follow a low card grain free lifestyle. I found that I gained a lot of weight when I was DX with celiac because of the sugars in the alternatives to flour. I feel confident in my weight loss ability but lack drive for working out since I do not like to be seen jogging. I have been stuck at 290 for what seems like years and I'm sick of it. I have never felt like I should weight this much my frame feels smaller my ribs are tiny. I am hoping to gain some confidence and support out of this group. and loss about 100 pounds.

I am currently thinking about "do I need to count calories and carbs or should I just be counting carbs?"

- MIS
honey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #1200
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: S2KLVR
wow, lchf loving it

Hello all, I've been doing lchf for a month now, coming from a vegan then vegetarian lifestyle (think lots of bread). I was thinking going that way would help me achieve great health, but I didn't really feel all that well. I had lots of digestive issues like bloating, gas, etc. I thought wrong. I was an avid road cyclist and just couldn't seem to get where I thought I should be. Fast forward to last year, my sis was doing lchf, Maria Emmerich's keto adapted book and I wouldn't even read it. My mom has aortic stenosis (reading is supposed to be a 3-4 and hers is a 1) and even after being vegan for 1.5 yrs she gets that diagnosis and I could not believe it. So I read the book and have been lchf for about 30 days, and I'm hardly ever hungry (once I got past my carb withdrawl). I am slowly starting to see some changes, I am not overweight, 5'5" 135lbs although I could stand to lose 10 and firm up. One thing I'm hoping to see improve is my eyesight. I am guessing from all the inflammation from the sugars my eyes were seriously compromised. Just today I noticed while sitting in church that I could focus better far away. Not a whole bunch but enough to notice. Another thing is my skin on my arms is loose and saggy for my 53 yrs. I lost 20 lbs in 3 wks 4 yrs ago during my divorce doing raw and Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It left my forearms wrinkly and the skin feels thicker on the wrinkles. Eww. It mostly looks like Sun damage and some of it may well be. I'm looking forward to learning from some of you smartly pants that understand how all this works. Never in a million yrs would I have thought I'd be doing lchf a few years ago but it does all make sense to me although I can't see myself calculating all those things you do. I just want to eat and not have to think about it, and my ketones reading this morning was .7 so that is a good start even tho I don't know if I'm supposed to have it go higher or if it's ok there. Thanks to all!
S2KLVR is offline   Reply With Quote