Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #901
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Diane G
Stats: 165/162/150
WOE: Modified Atkins Diet/Ketogenic for Epilepsy
Start Date: January 28 2014
Modified Atkins Diet/Ketogenic Newbie - Hello Out There!

Hi Everybody,

I'm Diane and I have Epilepsy. I don't thrash on the floor when I have seizures, I just suddenly stop talking, stare wide eyed and smack my lips. I have no memory of what happens, and then I'm pretty worn out for the rest of the day. (Nice intro, eh? I just like to keep things matter of fact.)

My Neurologist suggested I start the MAD/Low Carbs. I want to avoid brain surgery, and my friend was telling me about Ketogenics. The weight loss is a Bonus Feature! I was trying to lose anyway. I've been at this for about a month. My initial induction wasn't all that bad.

I'm staying on 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% fat. I'm glad to find this website, all the others are just about regular "dieting". Low Carb ways of dieting may have lost their popularity over the decades, but I guess the trend is returning. Regardless I think it is helping my brain already. I have lost a couple pounds already.

So here I am! I look forward to hearing from whom it may concern.

Diane G
Diane G is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #902
Junior LCF Member

Nice to Meet You Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Alice~ View Post
Hello!

I'm Alice.

I'm 32, 5'4''.

I lost about 40lbs in the early 2000's with Atkins, plateaued for an eternity and then went back to my old habits. Gained it all back and some landing me at 210.

I lost 30lbs through various low fat/calorie counting and running around 2008.

In 2010 I did several rounds of hcg and was forced to face an eating disorder that the protocol made worse/more apparent. I've waffled around 180/170 since 2012.

I read Maria Emmerich's Keto Adapted back in December and am now following a NK approach to eating when I can as I am still working through emotional eating issues and social eating issues.

It's nice to meet all of you!
It's nice to meet you too! I just joined here in the last couple of days. I've joined for the long haul, I am going to be trying this out to make my brain stop snapping into seizure mode. Plus I like losing weight. I need to lose about 25 lbs. I'm trying to find other people and learn their experiences, maybe even find other people with epilepsy. For me it's been good so far!

diane
Old 02-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #903
Junior LCF Member

Die Hard Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by brachetthecub View Post
hello all!

Thought I'd say hello from the cold, north of England! I'm low-carbing & have a huge fascination with cooking (so I hope a good combination).

I have tried before but it never really worked properly...mainly due to a)-my knack of knowledge & primarily I think to ahem.....to my shame a rather bad vodka habit daily (not had a drink for 3 months-don't miss it at all!). I noticed when I quit the vodka i had more of a craving for biscuits etc (usually I do not go overboard on this)-becoming addicted to sainsburys finest chocolate chip shortbread (UK readers will know this stuff!)-4 HUGE slabs..! I;d nearly always find an excuse to buy pack 2 & sometimes pack 3! Net result-a 1 1/2 stone (14 kg approx)-gain! I was always at this time before the gain a bit 'beer-gut'-ish-like many men my age!

So...having immersed in many, many books/online-decided on approx 30 carbs a day-at least for the 1st month or so. Ketosis hit day 3 (monster thirst!) but other than that no ill-effects etc. Some may not agree but I have been having fruit (in small ammounts-very low carb stuff like raspberries, etc) & the odd 5 carb crispbread, 1/2 an apple, etc . NO sugar (just good old sucralose liquid-only one supplier on amazon uk so ordering from the states-same cost inc. post but double concentrated!)...just sucralose-in fact ordering pure sucralose to make my own liquid-will save a lot of money!

I've never ate healthier....sprouts, broccoli, mushrooms, fruits, eat well...loadsa breakfast pancakes, low carb fudge, etc...& SUPERB swede or celariac mash with cheese, garlic & mustard (yum!). ALso cheese& cream-yum!

Had no real issue with the old....toilet movements lol (!)-Do incorporate flax & coconut oil.

Week one (in real terms 4-5 days ketosis)-3 kg lost! Week 2 - 1.5 kg gone...so going the right way at a not silly fast pace or too slow. I'm also working out 3 times a week-weights, kettlebells, etc...

Now I've got my head round WHAT to cook & got myself organised (freeze 2 weeks worth mash, 1 weeks worth pancakes, low carb bread, 1 minute mug muffins for quick snacks, celeriac/sweed/turnip chips etc, make low coarb casseroles etc) its pretty easy. Can even have a curry takeawa!y (with only 1/4 a chapatti but lots of full fat yoghurt!).

Feel great for the most & can honestly see it as a way of living. I know carb counting is NOT about calories-but being a 'geek' I've kept track (just so in my head I know its primarily ketosis/body fat being burnt) for week one-average 2250-2300 cals a day. Spot on for a guy my age/build-so....IT WORKS!

Ah well...............Daniel Craig physique (he's my age!)-here I come! Hope to pop in & post updates & when time some recipes!
Hi,

I dunno, it could be much colder here in Chicago. Going without vodka as well? Sounds like a real challenge for some of us. I've managed to do without for a myriad of 24 hours though, let me know if I can be of any help. This diet has been awesome for me so far. I'm doing it for the epilepsy I have from an old head injury in 1997. The weight loss is an extra perk!

diane
Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #904
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brachetthecub
Hi Diane...not really a challenge-long & short of it was I needed to much to have an effect so why bother lol (!)...Saving me a fortune! Good luck with your low carbing!
brachetthecub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #905
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AmandaBabs24
Hi I'm Amanda, not really on a plan really, more of a just eating better and less carbs. Trying to loose 30lbs for my cousins wedding in August.
AmandaBabs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #906
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paynts
Stats: 229/196/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb. 15 2014
Well I am turning 60 in a month and got tired of some of my health issues. I live near Houston,TX and have a few acres for the horses.
When I was on Atkins years ago it worked very well for me and I am trying it again.
I ride but things are not like before when I was younger. I got dented up a few times and have a shiny new hip. much better now and I guess I will be one of those old biddies you see in the paper saying "Dead at 92 after falling off horse."
I am sure my horse would be blessing this idea if she knew.
Am really enjoying this place and loving the recipes I am finding.
paynts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #907
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: batman
Hey! I've been keeping up with these posts for I don't know how long and now I've decided to actively join the conversations as I'm beginning to really need the support.

Thing is, I'm only 18 but I've been unhappy with my body and found that cutting carbs has drastically helped me lose that bloated 3-months pregnant look. I've had a history with eating disorders in the past and I think atkins is really helping me lose weight in a healthier way.

I'm a female, 5'2 and 47.4 kg, working out daily, and it's great to finally have somewhere to talk to about low-carbing
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #908
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudyJo
Stats: 247/239/145
WOE: low carb all the way!
Start Date: January 15, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Hey! I've been keeping up with these posts for I don't know how long and now I've decided to actively join the conversations as I'm beginning to really need the support.

Thing is, I'm only 18 but I've been unhappy with my body and found that cutting carbs has drastically helped me lose that bloated 3-months pregnant look. I've had a history with eating disorders in the past and I think atkins is really helping me lose weight in a healthier way.

I'm a female, 5'2 and 47.4 kg, working out daily, and it's great to finally have somewhere to talk to about low-carbing

I wish my 18 year old daughter would be serious about losing weight as you are. I worry for her health, but she is very pretty, energetic, and outgoing. I can see how her weight holds her back from a lot of activities. I'm not talking about a few pounds--she weighs in at just under 300 pounds. But I try to not push her or make her feel negative about herself any more than she already does. It is my experience that when a person is ready, then they will be motivated to improve themselves. I hope that you find that for yourself, as well. I know I am new to this forum---but welcome!
JudyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #909
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeluver1
Start Date: January 2014
Good Morning to All!

I'm not new to lowcarb. Years ago I lost 40 lbs on Dr Atkins. Stress is my main problem that sends me in the wrong direction. I need to deal with it without running for desserts,that always seems to be my choice. I am going to be 62 Friday. Borderline diabetic. I have to do this and be around for my 10 year old grandson ,we adopted . I have been weening myself off Paxil,because,I also do not care what I eat when I am on it,and I just get fatter and fatter!! So lets hope this time it takes. Nice to meet all of you. Susan
coffeeluver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #910
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: balletgirl

Hi everyone
I have lost 3 stone by going to slimming world. I am now stuck so am going to try low carb as carbs are definitely my downfall!! The one thing I am noticing when I have been looking through the various diets and recipe book is nuts, nuts nuts!! I can't eat nuts including coconut or anything derived from them like flour, butter etc. This seems to render at least 70% of recipes in any book useless to me. Does anyone have a similar problem. I would be glad of tips.Thanks
balletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:18 AM   #911
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: music
Stats: 325/217/150
WOE: Atkins/low carb & high fat
Start Date: 14/11/13
Hi all. Been doing low carbing since November. The weight loss has been kinda slow of late, and try not weigh myself too much, I usually weigh myself once a week but probably do it once a fortnight now. So far I've lost 49 since November which im ok with. Its gonna be a long journey as i still have loads to lose.
music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:09 AM   #912
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyJo View Post
I also want to make a collage. It helps visually if I can take a picture of myself and cut out a body-type in a fashion magazine. In the collage, I also want to write down goals, short term and long term health and weight. Maybe some pictures of pretty clothes...... any other suggestions?

Today's beginning weight: 241.2

Yes, I just laid it out there. Not happy with it, but that's the reality for now. I have been sick for about a week, just now getting back to health. Last Saturday, I wrote my weight down: 232.6. I had lost 15 pounds on low carb----and now I'm so disgusted and discouraged I could spit!

But I've got to get back on the wagon. And hoping for a little help on this forum, but so far it's been very quiet since I joined. Only new people.

Maybe everybody else is on vacation or hibernating until spring.
all newbies!

It is kinda quiet right now.

The collage sounds like a great idea! I never thought of that. But pictures are great inspiration so I might have to make one for myself

kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #913
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AHayes79
My introduction

Hello, my name is Autumn. I am 34 years old and one 4 year old daughter. I did atkins YEARS ago and lost 40 lbs. I have been doing it since the 1st of the year now and I'm 22 lbs down. Need another 35! I'm pretty much at a maintenance level. Looking forward to seeing different ideas of food to eat on here!
AHayes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #914
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fkchancock
Stats: 169/163/145
WOE: Keto/Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2014
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum although I've been reading it for a while for the awesome tips! I'm fairly new to low carb but I've already lost a few pounds on it! I'm convinced it's the only diet that truly works for my body and life style. I've tried almost every other diet with no lasting success. I'm 26 and recently married. Needless to say I've gained some weight as newly weds usually do! I'm excited to get started on this forum! It seems like an awesome support community, which I greatly need, as my husband is just naturally thin and athletic! I'm going on vacation in August to the beach with my inlaws and I'm going to be a bridesmaid in a friends wedding in October, so I'm needing to get this weight off in the next few months.
fkchancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #915
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TeresaM
Stats: 256/241/160
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 2/25/2014
Hi there,
I'm 42 - live in Maine. I'm happily married with an 11 yr old boy. I could stand to lose 100+ but would be happy to lose just 60 lbs. I don't want to be a bikini model - I just want to be able to tie my shoes without feeling like I'm going to pass out - lol I'm tired of being tired. I started Atkins 5 days ago and feel great. I lost 9 lbs to date - YAY for me. I've been reading tons on this forum. I really find it to be a motivating tool for me. I have tried every diet out there: Jenny Craig, Nutri System, I bet I could win an award for the most times quitting Weight Watchers, cabbage diet, Alli pills, I went to a physician and drank nothing but shakes for something like three months - that one was the worst - and there's more diets that I can't think of right now. CRAZY! I don't know if its too much to ask but I would just love to lose 40 lbs by July 2014. I have RA and I have a severe vitamin D deficiency - I have severe winter blues living here in Antarctica=Maine (sigh) - COME ON SPRING! I hope to find somebody with similar stats as me. It would be nice to follow along together.
TeresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #916
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lovinlife
Hello!
I Super excited I found all you Fabulous Low-carbers! I have always been overweight since I was a kid. I did Atkins years ago (when I was about 20yrs old) and lost Loads of weight.Of course it has come back in full force over time! So for my my 30th Birthday that is a little over a year away and I think the Best gift I could ever give myself is to feel good, have more energy and create a new chapter of my life. I am ready!! Not just to look and feel amazing but to completely change my lifestyle ( including working out). Thank you all for the Support you give each other on here and the fantastic success stories. God Bless!
lovinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #917
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkchancock View Post
I'm 26 and recently married. Needless to say I've gained some weight as newly weds usually do! I'm excited to get started on this forum! It seems like an awesome support community, which I greatly need, as my husband is just naturally thin and athletic! I'm going on vacation in August to the beach with my inlaws and I'm going to be a bridesmaid in a friends wedding in October, so I'm needing to get this weight off in the next few months.
Congrats newlywed!

It's good to have goals to keep you focused.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #918
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaM View Post
I started Atkins 5 days ago and feel great. I lost 9 lbs to date - YAY for me. I've been reading tons on this forum. I really find it to be a motivating tool for me. I don't know if its too much to ask but I would just love to lose 40 lbs by July 2014. I have RA and I have a severe vitamin D deficiency - I have severe winter blues living here in Antarctica=Maine (sigh) - COME ON SPRING! I hope to find somebody with similar stats as me. It would be nice to follow along together.
Congrats on your weight loss so far! Like you, I tried all the diets out there, pills, books and exercise equipment - wasted so much money!

40 lbs by July - you can do it! Keep up the momentum you have right now, keep a journal, keep checking in for recipes and motivation.

I'm in Illinois and I'm ready for spring too! Unfortunately, with a high of 14 forecast today, we are breaking another record.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #919
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife View Post
Hello!
I Super excited I found all you Fabulous Low-carbers! I have always been overweight since I was a kid. I did Atkins years ago (when I was about 20yrs old) and lost Loads of weight.Of course it has come back in full force over time! So for my my 30th Birthday that is a little over a year away and I think the Best gift I could ever give myself is to feel good, have more energy and create a new chapter of my life. I am ready!! Not just to look and feel amazing but to completely change my lifestyle ( including working out). Thank you all for the Support you give each other on here and the fantastic success stories. God Bless!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #920
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: klmmc13
Stats: 220/208/125
WOE: Modified Atkins for DMT2
Start Date: Winter 2014
Greetings From South Arkansas!

Hi !
I'm Kathy, also known as MamaDragon (yes there's a story to go with the name). I live in Southwest Arkansas with my husband and two teenage sons. I found this forum when following links about Glucomannan / Shirataki noodles; have read all you have posted here about them and have learned quite alot about them. In the process, I've become a big fan of Fozzie99, Billie in Wyoming (truthfully don't remember her screen name), Ouiz, MsWoods and the rest, to whom I offer my regards and a large dose of respect.

I started studying diet changes for diabetics last fall, and got serious about it when Hubby went in hospital at New Years for diabetic issues and spent 6 weeks there. We both got a wake-up call that things Had To Change! Thru research and study, figured out that low-carb was best for diabetics, as well as maintaining optimum weight to height ratios. It's a good side benefit that low-carb & Paleo is also beneficial for people with ADD/ADHD, and other Mental Health issues.

It's nice to meet you all, and I hope to get to know you better.

Kathy
MamaDragon

Last edited by klmmc13; 03-03-2014 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: ETA to add comment.
klmmc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #921
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jgooch1415
Hello!

Hi, I am new to the site. I was refered to the LC lifestyle by my doctor. He wanted me to do this to help raise my testorone the natural way. It's been low for most my life and recently it got down to under 200. Which isn't good especially since I'm not even 30 yet. I have lost about 20 lbs so far by limiting my carbs and sugar. But I wanted to be involved in a forum to learn more. So that's why I'm here. My peak weight was 237. I am currently at 216. My goal is 175. I have noticed that most of the talk is about the Atkins diet. And my doc didn't want me to do an actual plan. He just said to limit carbs to the good carbs and to not have any more than 40 g per meal. And cut out all added sugars. Anyone have any tips for me? Or have a journey similar to mine? Thanks!
jgooch1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #922
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: need2lose
Hello I'm new here having problems I think.....

I started LCing my way of LCing lol around 20 - 60 carbs a day on February 3rd. I have only lost 9.8 pounds. I have been stuck on 203.4 for 2 - 3 weeks and can not budge it. Am I eating to much protein roughly 80-125 grams a day or to much fat 60 - 125 grams a day I watch my calories about 1510 a day not sure what to do any suggestions would be WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks
Need2lose
need2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 AM   #923
Senior LCF Member

all

need2lose - don't get discouraged. Your stall could depend on a lot of things. Mainly, your body adjusting to losing 9.8 pounds! That's a LOT so don't say you "only" lost 9.8 pounds. That's great! Have you ever seen a ten pound package of hamburger? Go look, it's huge.

My stalls happen when I'm not drinking my water or not moving - any kind of physical activity helps.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #924
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Larry
Hi everyone! As you can see my name is Larry

Started my Atkins induction phase a week ago and lost almost 10 pounds in 1st week!

6'5" and 328.6 pounds down to 319.2 in 7 days. Been doing 20 carbs or less a day.

Have questions about this though.

I have had bad headaches and stomach aches since starting the induction phase. More concerned with the stomach pains. Its not hunger pains but almost feels like I have been sit ups forever with the constant dull pain.

Looking forward to phase 2 lol.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #925
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
Start Date: March 2014
Hi! Just joining in here, I am new to Low Carb and relatively new to dieting in general. My biggest challenge is my work schedule - I work up to 14 hours a day, don't usually get home until after 10pm, and I am required to eat supper with my clients so I don't get to choose my meal. I definitely need to loose about 75 lbs though and looking at the success stories here, this may just be the way to do it!!
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #926
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Hi, new today, but I've been a lurker for a little while. I like the ideas, advice, and community. I'm new to low carb, but became interested in eating this way after stumbling upon the Authority Nutrition site. I'm looking forward to the journey...so far it hasn't been much of struggle to give up high carb foods...I never thought I'd give up bread, pizza or pasta easily (trying to stay completely gluten free, just to try it, not because I have to). Granted, it's only been a week but I've dined out a couple times and didn't cheat!

Hoping for some weight loss success, although it's not my main driver...would love to lose that 20lbs that I've gained in my 40s...
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #927
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bryce58
Stats: 273/233/176
WOE: LCHF/keto
Start Date: February 2014
Hi, also new today but have been lurking a few weeks. My Doctor suggested I try limiting carbs on my last check up. So I have adjusted to LCHF and increased my activity over the last 3 - 4 weeks and in the process lost 5kg.Great to be here
Bryce58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #928
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Reminder:
If you have had an account before, please contact us (LowCarbFriends.com Contact Form) with as much detail as you remember so we can deal with it.
Since members may only have one account, if the system trips over a new one, you may find yourself locked out.
So please contact us and let us know if you had an account before
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #929
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Hi!
I'm Erica I am happy to be here.

Last edited by EricaHV; 03-07-2014 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: add
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #930
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissAmanda
Stats: 160/157/135
Start Date: March 2013
New Here

Hello all. I'm Amanda and I'm from Texas. I'm 35 years old and am trying to do the atkins diet. I am at 160 pounds but want to get down to 135 atleast. Hope to find lots of information on how to do it correctly.
MissAmanda is offline   Reply With Quote