LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #841
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: charstever
Stats: 249/249/160
WOE: Low carb eating.
Start Date: January 2014
Hi

I'm new to this group and I'm not sure if I'm making my own post at the moment or replying to another (lol)....Anyway, I am on my second day eating low carb and I have never joined a support group (until now). I need all the help I can get....I have 100 pounds to lose.
charstever is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #842
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CinAngel75
Stats: 5'7-174 (1/22/14) Goal: 140
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/22/2014
Back for round 2!

I started low carb/south beach diet back in Jan 2012...and did really well. I dropped about 23 lbs in a couple of months...felt better, looked better etc.
Then in around May, I started having issues on the female front (I have PCOS to begin with) and actually started losing hair at an alarming rate etc....ended up having a couple of surgeries and several medication changes and such.

I sort of just gave up and of course back came the weight with a vengeance! But I am back on the wagon! Got things sorted out for the most part medically and I just started South Beach today (had a couple of minor slips, but tomorrow will be better)!

I definitely found that having the forums to as questions or just vent made a big difference!
CinAngel75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #843
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreams skinny
Stats: 263/???/125
WOE: Atkins72 (20 or less)
Start Date: Restart Oct . 2013/restart April 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mias View Post
Greetings to all,
I am now new to low carbing but new to the website.
I sound a lot like Aitch. I'm diabetic. low carbing is the best way to control diabetes and weight. I began my diet (again) this past Monday on the 6th of Jan. and have lost 6 lbs. I would like to lose about 40.
To answer jen5245, I stick to a strict diet of only 20 carbs a day. Since Monday my weight has dropped 6 lbs. and my blood sugar count has gone from 255 to 159. It doesn't take long for me to see a difference on low carb.
But once I get into the low carb diet I don't crave food. When I begin to feel the low carb withdrawals I drink a cup of bullion and it helps with the symptoms.
I wish everyone luck on their low carb diet, I know how challenging it is to stay with a diet.
Once again, good luck and nice meeting all of you.

Welcome
dreams skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #844
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HeyPretty
Stats: 306/306/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2014
Hello everyone,

I tried Atkins 5 years ago and lost 14lbs in 2 weeks. It was terrific! I read several of the books and it just made so much sense after all of the garbage the media has been feeding us for years! Problem was I had nooooo energy. I was in perfect ketosis but I could barely function. I know there's an adjustment period when you switch so I'm a bit more prepared for it now.

I'm doing things a little differently this time though. I hate cooking (which is why it's been 5 years since I retried the diet) so I'm going to do shakes 3-4 times a day with a small meal if I feel up to cooking. Sure, it's going to suck, but I'm only concentrating on the weight loss phase for now. Once I get into ketosis I can start modifying things.

I know, I know, it's not a "diet" it's a lifestyle change. If only carbs didn't taste so damned good!

I hope to find lots of good recipes on this site!

Nice to meet ya'll.
HeyPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #845
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ~Alice~
Stats: 180/167/138
WOE: Low Carb, Keto, IF
I'm Alice.

Hello!

I'm Alice.

I'm 32, 5'4''.

I lost about 40lbs in the early 2000's with Atkins, plateaued for an eternity and then went back to my old habits. Gained it all back and some landing me at 210.

I lost 30lbs through various low fat/calorie counting and running around 2008.

In 2010 I did several rounds of hcg and was forced to face an eating disorder that the protocol made worse/more apparent. I've waffled around 180/170 since 2012.

I read Maria Emmerich's Keto Adapted back in December and am now following a NK approach to eating when I can as I am still working through emotional eating issues and social eating issues.

It's nice to meet all of you!
~Alice~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #846
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetEnuf
Stats: 198/189/150
Back to Atkins

Hi! I am back to Atkins after previously losing 50 pounds in 2003. I had a baby since then and went back to my sugar-addicted ways and gained it all back. I am ready to start again, going through horrible sugar withdrawl and looking for some support.
Thanks for being here!
SweetEnuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #847
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bhnow
Need advice (over 40)

Hello all
I had lost a good 40lbs about 15 years ago with a low carb diet.
I am now in my mid to late 40's and having some trouble.
I haven't done strict low carb in some time but had heard that it only works once.
Does anyone have any advice for me?
Thanks guys!!
Bhnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #848
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Staceylynne
WOE: Medi weight loss
I am overweight and lost really hoping this is the answer
Staceylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #849
Junior LCF Member

Location: Central Florida, 45 minutes from the most Magical Place on Earth!
Gallery: TerraNoelle
Stats: 269/269/160
WOE: Atkins: Phase I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhnow View Post
Hello all
I had lost a good 40lbs about 15 years ago with a low carb diet.
I am now in my mid to late 40's and having some trouble.
I haven't done strict low carb in some time but had heard that it only works once.
Does anyone have any advice for me?
Thanks guys!!
You're story sounds a lot like mine. I lost about 50 lbs in 3 months back in 2000 with Atkins [of course I was only 30 too! ]. Gained it all back in 2003 when I was dating an Italian man and of course all the family at was pasta.

Fast forward now almost 14 years later. I'm at 269. I'm higher now than when I even gave birth to my two sons. I want to get back down to 160. I felt great then!

I'm 5'5" and age 42. Had a consultation with my long time family physician because I really need to get a handle on this. I've been overweight since I was 8 years old. So it's been a life long battle. He recommended based on my medical history that I go back to this because it was the best for me. He also prescribed Metformin as an appetite suppressant. Today is day two for the meds and day 1 for the diet. And truly the med is helping with the appetite!

So here's to a lifestyle change! And I thought it would be able to join a community where we are all like-minded!
TerraNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:12 AM   #850
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: macher
Hi my name is Marc and from Philly. I'm not over weight. I'm 47 years old, 5'10", 163 lbs. I've always been a good weight all my life and weight gain was never an issue.

Although my weight is good it doesn't mean I'm healthy or fit. So 3 months ago after seeing my cholesterol was over 200 I gave up processed foods, white breads/rolls, white rice etc. My exercise routine now is the rowing machine 3-4 days/week and 1 day/week weights to maintain muscle.

The reason I'm considering a low carb/high fat diet is because I'm always hungry. Probably because of my exercise routine. After doing some investigating the problem might be I'm not getting enough protein/fat and too much good carbs such(oat meal, lean meat on whole wheat etc)

But my concern is cholesterol as well. I'm still trying to get a concrete answer on whether or not high fat will impact my cholesterol or not and if high fat is good for the heart.
macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #851
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kimberlyann11
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
Hi my name is Marc and from Philly. I'm not over weight. I'm 47 years old, 5'10", 163 lbs. I've always been a good weight all my life and weight gain was never an issue.

Although my weight is good it doesn't mean I'm healthy or fit. So 3 months ago after seeing my cholesterol was over 200 I gave up processed foods, white breads/rolls, white rice etc. My exercise routine now is the rowing machine 3-4 days/week and 1 day/week weights to maintain muscle.

The reason I'm considering a low carb/high fat diet is because I'm always hungry. Probably because of my exercise routine. After doing some investigating the problem might be I'm not getting enough protein/fat and too much good carbs such(oat meal, lean meat on whole wheat etc)

But my concern is cholesterol as well. I'm still trying to get a concrete answer on whether or not high fat will impact my cholesterol or not and if high fat is good for the heart.
Welcome Marc - I think what many people see is an increase in cholesterol levels for the first six months or so and then a huge drop to normal. Triglycerides go down as well and my doc thinks that those are huge bad guys. Of course every body is unique and it's your body - your science experiment.

Start a thread and ask the community here. There are lots of smart people who have done all kinds of research and they would be your best resource. There are people who have been on this WOE for years and can tell you what their results are.

I'm like the opposite of you. My numbers are fantastic - but I need to lose some weight.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #852
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarahlewis
Hi!

I'm Sarah, 40, 4 kids (20,17,14 and 12), work full time (Subrogation Analyst) and have Hashimotos.

They only WOE that works for me is low carb- but I struggle. I have a hard time not feeling deprived of the things I love to eat. I find reasons and excuses to go off plan. My favorite one is: ' it's not like I'm not ever going to eat a piece of cake again in my whole life.'

I need support, please!
Sarahlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #853
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KWAY2B185
Stats: 254.4/248.8/185
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 26, 2014/January 29, 2014(Atkins 72)
Hi everyone, todayday is my first day of Atkins. I have been reading the book and researching for the last month. I am sooo excited about this transition. I have been working out for about 2 weeks & am taking things slow, setting small goals. I don't plan to weigh myself until the end of two weeks and I managed to take some before measurements too. I chose Atkins because I have learned that their are some carbs that I cannot have and that too many of others cause me to gain as well. I understand that a good support system for change to work, so here I am here! I look forward to getting healthier.
KWAY2B185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #854
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2paint
Stats: 187/182/135
WOE: Atkins low carb
Start Date: Jan19,2014
I joined this forum this month jan 2014 but checked out LCF a few months back ,
Still trying to figure this site out hoping I can have some weight loss buddy's learn to post recipes and make some meaningful memories with you all on this journey to finally lose
Some much needed weight and get healthy again
Luv2paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #855
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancy
Hi, new to this

My name is Nancy, and I have silent celiac. I was diagnosed three years ago after having an endoscopy for something not related to celiac. I was told to go on a gluten free diet asap, or run the risk of getting intestinal cancer or other auto immune problems. It was pretty easy to go on a gluten free diet, especially after I had bought different flours to do my own baking. I am now finding out that because of needing to use potato starch, tapioca flour, things of this nature in my baking, this is causing me to gain weight instead of losing it. I'm needing to learn a whole new way of eating, and I am totally confused and lost when it comes to this. I'm looking forward to learning a lot of things here and meeting people who have the same issues I have, and not only other celiacs. Nice meeting you all!
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #856

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
My name is Nancy, and I have silent celiac. I was diagnosed three years ago after having an endoscopy for something not related to celiac. I was told to go on a gluten free diet asap, or run the risk of getting intestinal cancer or other auto immune problems. It was pretty easy to go on a gluten free diet, especially after I had bought different flours to do my own baking. I am now finding out that because of needing to use potato starch, tapioca flour, things of this nature in my baking, this is causing me to gain weight instead of losing it. I'm needing to learn a whole new way of eating, and I am totally confused and lost when it comes to this. I'm looking forward to learning a lot of things here and meeting people who have the same issues I have, and not only other celiacs. Nice meeting you all!
Well, allot of things labeled gluten free are usually carby because they are items which are normally not glutten free (pasta, bread, crackers, etc).... but many items which are gluten free are not labeled that way, or not labeled at all... like making zoodles (zuchinni noodles) instead of rice noodles (labeled gluten free) but zuchinni noodles are lower calorie and much lower carb than the "gluten free" variety.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #857
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: becs
I'm new, hello everyone

Hi I'm new to forum and posting. Im stuck. Please help.
Severe pms sufferer....
hypoglycemia but not diabetic.
I love the carbohydrate addicts diet but cannot get through TOM without carb craving...then I cave in. I get serious withdrawl when I try to follow this plan which gets 100% worse at TOM. Does anybody else have this issue??
becs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #858
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hershortness24
Hi all! I am Lauren, from Texas, 26 years old. I have been overweight my whole life sometimes heavier sometimes not as heavy but always heavy lol. I am a newbie sorta. I have been lurking for a while but decided to have a more active approach in finding support and weight loss buddies. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
hershortness24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 AM   #859
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heatherdr
Stats: 208/196.2/125
WOE: HCG/Nutritional Ketosis
Hi, I'm Heather, turning 39 in a week, I have one little boy who is 4. I have tried most diets out there, South Beach, the Rice Diet, Weight watchers, HCG, low fat, vegan, but none seems to really work or last. So here I am. A few weeks in to this and really liking it. I have only lost 8 lbs or so, but I feel better, and happier, and really it isn't that bad once I figured out it wasn't a high protein diet and replaced the carbs with fat instead. I'm basically doing Atkins but staying in induction. I am hoping to get to a healthy weight some time this year!
heatherdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 AM   #860
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eza91804
Hi everyone!

I'm new here! My name is Emily and I'm new here. I'm a wife and mom of two in Boston.

I am a long time Weight Watcher, but am really struggling to lose the weight and I am seriously, seriously addicted to carbs. On Monday, my husband and I are going to try Atkins, limiting processed foods though (our friends did great on Whole 30 and inspired us, but I think that is too strict for us.) I'm Italian, so this is not going to be easy. I love my pasta!

I want to lose 40-50 pounds, and my husband would like to lose 25.

Wish me luck!
eza91804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:07 AM   #861
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KWAY2B185
Stats: 254.4/248.8/185
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 26, 2014/January 29, 2014(Atkins 72)
becs

Lauren

Heather

Emily

This a great place for support, I am a newbie, but I love this board-it's a lot of great people here. Don't beat yourself up if you had a bad day, learn from it and keep going. Got some good advice the other day from here..."be true to yourself". Happy Low Carbing....

KWAY's Journey

KWAY2B185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #862
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: katyNH
WOE: Low Carb/exercise
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I am new too but not new to low carb.
I successfully lost weight on the south beach diet about 8 years ago but now that I am just over 40, the weight is starting to creep back.
I am not extremely overweight but my goal is to lose 15 pounds and get back into my size 8 clothes before SHORTS weather starts (since I am in NH, that won't be till late May).
I have been doing well with controlling my desire to eat carbs. I got some good tips on here. One of the best ones was changing my half and half to full fat cream. It does make a difference. I am also trying to cut my Splenda use down. I used to be an all day coffee drinker (every time with 1 Splenda). I have cut down to a few cups in the morning and a few in the afternoon when I start to drag at work (baby steps).
I'm trying to drink 50-60 oz of water a day and I've added 2-3 Zumba classes into my schedule. I have to say, I do feel better, less tired, and I'm not starving all the time. I think I have eaten more hard boiled eggs in the last few weeks than I have in my whole live (they are very good with mustard).
Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and looking forward to sharing more stories with you.
katyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #863
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kyle
Stats: 223/189/170
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: November 2013
Hi all,

After lurking around these parts for the last month and half, using the resources and opinions of LCF to guide my first real attempt at dieting, I've decided to join the community so I can engage with other low-carb eaters on a deeper level.

I discovered LCHF through dietdoctor site, and it's been my loose guide for low-carb eating since I decided to put a halt on my ballooning college weight. I have a very sedentary lifestyle, with the exception of walking a few miles to and from college classes throughout the week, so I wanted something with a guarantee of weight loss even without dramatically changing my activity level. So far, I've been super-pleased with low-carb results (I've lost about 33 lbs. since Thanksgiving) just from carefully reading nutrition labels, stay under 30-40g of carbs per day, and never daring to cheat.

Other than that, it's been a very free-form process for me, without much calculation or careful rigorous planning. I don't even know exactly what I'm aiming for. I was 170-175, which was very comfortable, at some point in high school, and that sounds like as good a goal as any. Here at LCF, I've discovered a whole world of analysis and scientific understanding far beyond how I view my own diet. I'm not sure if that deep level of strategy is right for me, but I'm excited to learn more about this world--and even other diet plans!--as I go.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #864
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sixcees
Atkins Induction

I've been low carb for almost a year. No specific diet, just trying to eat REAL FOOD - eliminating processed foods and refined sugars. Today (Feb 1, 2014) two friends and I are starting the Atkins induction phase. Over the Holidays, I allowed my sugar addiction to creep back in to my life. I thought doing the 'induction phase' would get me back on track. My biggest challenge?? Giving up my flavored Coffee Creamer!! I can't drink coffee without it!! I have switched to tea for now. My goal?? Just being healthy, feeling great and having more energy. The weight loss will happen. 30-40lbs would be good. I will enjoy the inspiration and ideas on this site. Yay for everyone who has the willpower and is taking control of their life. You are what you eat!!
sixcees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #865
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Despicableme
Stats: 206/148/130
WOE: ketosis
Hello! First of all I wanted to say I'm terrified by discovering this forum!!! Oh I am sure I'll spend the whole night searching thru it!

Right, my name is Ania and I he just turned 30 couple of months ago. I'll try n be short with my story :-) so November 2012 I was fat n unhappy, I have decided to finally turn myself into a supermodel (haha ) n started low carb diet. I wasn't following any plan, just reduced my carbs n excluded all bad things like fast foods, sweets etc. my start weight was 206 lbs (I'm 5.7) after 7 months of being strict I dropped to 155lbs. That was back in June 2013. Since then I have focused on maintaining my weight because I was scared if I lose it all together I will put it all back quickly. So I challenged myself to next 6 months of keeping my weight off. This brought my to 1 January 2014 weighting 151lbs. Somehow I lost 4lbs in meanwhile. Lol. The time has come.... I am ready to continue my weight lose until my goal, which is 130lbs. That's 20lbs to go. N here I am, low carb again, this time following Atkins plan, I have started only 5 days ago. Phew, that's my story
I can't wait to read all the forum
Despicableme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:40 AM   #866
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: music
Stats: 325/229/150
WOE: Atkins/low carb & high fat
Start Date: 14/11/13
Hi, I'm female 45 yrs. I've been lurking on this forum for a few months now but just joined today. This forum is what made me go back on low carbs. Its working pretty good so far! I've lost 37lbs since November. And very pleased with my results as my biggest downfall would be hunger, on LC I'm hardly hungry in fact sometimes I forget to eat! But when I do eat, boy oh boy I so enjoy the types of food im eating, its quite amazing, I wished I did this years ago. Also I try to exercise every day with either walking or swimming which has really toned me up a lot. I sleep so good, my moods hardly change like nothing really fazes me and my brain has so much clarity. My confidence has really shot up. I feel so different.
Although I've tried to keep this way of eating to myself by not telling my friends(reason being I didn't want them to try and put me off) they've started to notice the change! Lol. I told my 2 children(there grown ups) as they are always great encouragement but when friends ask I just say I'm eating healthier :-)
This not a diet to me any more but a way of life.
Thanks for reading my short intro. Happy eating!
music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #867
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doglovingal
Hi everyone. I'm 32, no kids, 2 golden retrievers as you might be able to tell from my username. 5'2, weighed this AM at 156, goal is 125... then will re-evaluate.

I grew up on the chubby side due to overindulging on my mom's baking. This basically set the stage for carb addiction for life. In my teenage years, I was athletic and not overweight, although I still ate a diet very high in carbs. A few back-to-back bad relationships in my early 20's and the emotional eating began. I turned to Atkins 10 years ago in the peak of it's popularity and lost around 30 lbs. Felt fantastic and it was so beyond easy. However, adding in too many carbs too quickly is a slippery slope and soon I was back to my old ways.

I have since tried and succeeded on almost every diet- Cabbage soup, weight watchers, vegan, raw vegan, dukan, ...grapefruit, low calorie, low fat, etc. Some work as long as you stick with it. But I always felt like I was white-knuckling it through each day because the carb cravings can be so intense. Low carb/high fat doesn't make me feel this way.

Throughout the years, I tried half-heartedly to get back on the LC train. It never really worked for me because my heart and commitment wasn't there, plus I still believed grains and bread were healthy for me. I have since gone to school- and am finishing up my doctoral degree- and in the last 8 + years I have learned *so much* about how the body actually works. My beliefs about the health benefits of grains has shifted, I no longer think they are necessary OR healthy, and so I feel I am truly ready to begin a LC life.

I plan on doing a mix of Atkins and Paleo. No fake sweetners, all organic when possible. Not sure if I'll cut out grains altogether or incorporate them in moderation *way* down the line, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Today was day 1 back on induction levels and tracking. Feeling hopeful, and in a way, renewed.

Looking forward to making some new friends here along the journey.
Doglovingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #868
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Despicableme
Stats: 206/148/130
WOE: ketosis
Welcome doglovingal n good luck!
Despicableme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #869
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeluver1
Hi Everyone

I'm not new, But I'm back. And I need to stay not just for a visit. My doctor wants me to lose this weight,I have bad knees and borderline diabetic. So this time it has to stick. Take Care everyone,sue
coffeeluver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #870
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Knkmay
Round 2!!!!

Well this is week 3 of the second serious attempt on the atkins diet. First time around was in 2002: I was at 220 and successfully lost about 65lbs.. now 12 yrs later and two kids later im back... this time i kinda let myself go throught both of my pregnancy and they were pretty close together which didnt help...anyway about 3 weeks ago i finally mustard some determination and started..So starting weight 272 now 248. Pretty happy about that but i still have a ways to go. When i drink diet drinks I try to stick with diet sprite or water.. when im on the go i usually swing by mcdonalds and get a few double cheese burgers and take off the buns! Seems to satisfy me through the day... then at night i choke down some salad with ranch..walmart also has some canned chicken which is by no means delicious or probably healthy but its easy. When im cooking supper for my family and the things call for flour i just put my portions aside and cook without flour. Sometimes i will make eggs and bacon for breakfast...i guess it just depends..seems like after about 10 days the cravings become A LOT easier to manage. Oh and havent exercised any yet... once it warms up though.i plan on adding some outdoor play with the kids.

Last edited by Knkmay; 02-04-2014 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Errors
Knkmay is offline   Reply With Quote