Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #781
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 172/162/150
WOE: Atkins influenced
Start Date: restart January 5, 2014
Hello!

I am new to this website but not to low-carb eating. Several years ago I lost 30 lbs on Atkins. Then got really busy with my job and life challenges and gained it back. Last winter I started back low-carb and lost 30 lbs again. Maintained it for several months and just got really off track with some health issues. I gained 22 lbs. back and here I am again...this is the only WOE that works for me. I'm back!
healthywealthywise is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #782
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cajungirl200
Stats: 238/221/160
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 01/02/14
Hi guys!! Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the website
Long story short, I had 2 kids 2 years in a row (my first little girl passed away) and I'm turning 39 in 2 months, so yeah, my body is wrecked! I gained alot of weight for my second pregnancy and I've also developed what my doctor thinks in rheumatoid arthritis (still testing). So, I'm determined to do this! I need to be around and active for my little girl.
I've been browing the forums and I'm so glad I've found such a supportive and positive place! And also people that understand eating fat doesn't make you fat!! LOL! Glad to be here and I look forward to ya'll expertise
Cajungirl200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #783
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dawndown
Stats: 170/160/130
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: January 2014
New to Low Carb Friends

I am new to low carb friends. Would like the support of group of like minded people. My goal is to lose 40lbs by my 60th birthday end of October. The weight has slowly crept on and now is the time to get it off.
dawndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #784
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
everyone!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #785
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terri1971
Hi, I had wls a couple of years ago and although have only gained back 15 pounds due to pregnancy, I am wanting to get control back now before I do gain back any more. My baby is almost 6 months old now so I figured I needed to get it under control now.
terri1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #786
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenuine
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/01/14
Hi Y'all! I restarted my low-carb lifestyle on New Years Day. I'm no stranger to low-carb eating and have done it off an on for years. This is the only lifestyle that not only stabilizes my body weight, but my behavior as well! I seem to remember a similar bb that was sponsored by the Atkins website years ago. I look forward to posting, sharing, and learning from all of you!
Jenuine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #787
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dawndown
Stats: 170/160/130
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: January 2014
First week

I have lost 2 lbs this first week. No more buying the party size bags of peanut M&Ms that I would grab a handful when I am stressed. I lost albs in 2013 doing low carb. Had a busy/stressful time and comforted myself with chocolate. This lead to more negative feeling, more chocolate, repeat the process; you get the idea! This time I am committed to not let that happen.
dawndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #788
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpatty08
Stats: 247/247/150
Start Date: 01/06/15
Hello everyone ! My name is Patty and this is my 2nd go on adkins. I lost 60# on lc 2 years ago...but went off n gained ut back and then some. I now know this is a WOE for life for me sooooo here goes. ..and I think im starting out on Adkins 72...I think it fits me better.

Hope everyone has a very Low carb day!
cpatty08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #789
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CBrooks
New to Forum - Need Help!

Been on induction 6 weeks. Haven't cheated once. I don't eat the atkins bars or shakes. I exercise. I'm not constipated. I eat 20 or fewer carbs daily. I'm taking the recommended supplements atkins suggests in his book. I'm on no medications. My keto stix are dark purple. Yet my clothes get tighter every day. I'm not "morbidly" obese, but have a good 30lbs to lose. Even the "fat fast" didn't work. I'm so disappointed and ready to quit.

If anybody could give some advice I'd be grateful.
CBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #790
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsBaldwin
Getting started. Again.

Hi guys, I have really enjoyed reading the posts on here. I just found this website. I've tried Atkins before and I get stuck on day 5 or 6 of Induction. At that point I become really skilled at convincing myself of the reasons I need to be happy with my body the way it is, how feeling this way (induction flu maybe?) isn't worth it, how I shouldn't be so focused on the way I look. But here I am again, and I'm saying to myself Come On Woman! You are 5'7 and weigh 190. Healthy for me is 170, and 160 would be a dream come true. I've been surfing for plus-size model websites to make me feel better too, but the truth is, I FEEL LIKE CRAP. Jogging hurts, jiggling during every form of physical activity hurts, chasing my son up the stairs hurts. Low carb is the only nutritional plan that makes sense to me. I have all the symptoms of hyperinsulinism and I'm getting just plain chubby. I'm not asking to be petite, that ain't gonna happen. I'm strong, and I'd like to be a strong athletic size 10. I need a meal plan to follow, but I hate the ones that include 3 or more "sponsored" frankenfoods (love that term I learned on here) every day. Anyone know of any ready-made low carb meal plans for induction? I'm in desperate need of a little success. Here I go again, but it feels different this time. I'm ready to commit this time. But I'm gonna be whining in a couple days. Thanks for everything you all have written, this is way better than the Atkins website.
MrsBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #791
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsBaldwin
Hi CBrooks, it sounds like you have been working your butt off doing this. I haven't exactly been a success story (yet but don't give up! Maybe we could be partners or something. There's gotta be a reason it's not working for you. I know sometimes I sabotage myself without even realizing it sometimes. The good thing about low carb is that the science is there, and from what I read, our bodies are crying out for this sort of nourishment without the sugar. 6 weeks wow! Great job for sticking with it. As I read your post I can't help but wonder about food/emotion connection. For me, I know I need work in that area. I'm way prone to binge eating. If you feel like sharing, I'd love to chat further about it with you.
MrsBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #792
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AmberLPN
Stats: 168/161/130
Start Date: December 2013
Hello, Newbie here :)

Hello Fellow Low carbers,

My name is Amber. Im 27 years old and have made the choice in December to start eating for nourishment rather than for poison. I love food, and that will never change.

What i do love more than food though, is the confidence and self improvement I have made along the way of this newly started journey. I am a strong believe nothing taste better than skinny jeans feel. So here i am.

I have done atkins many many times before. I was always successful at getting some fat off unwanted areas but never at keeping it off. Before i would find great recipes and tell myself its okay, its low carb and eventually cheat. Then it was a vicious cycle. Anyhow, Im back on track and doing better than ever before. I decided to take a holistic approach and incorporate getting fit inside and out.

So i look forward to this journey with you all :jump joy:

PS. I would love a buddy to help keep me motivated

Last edited by AmberLPN; 01-07-2014 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: ps
AmberLPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #793
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yvetj79
Stats: 168.5/159.5/125
Start Date: Dec 29, 2013
Hi

My name is Yvette. I have started Atkins for third time. The first time was a complete success. I lost 70 lbs. It took me 7 mnths. I had a child gained it back. I never got back to 110 pounds again. Im good with 125 even. I have gotten down to 140 but then got really sick and could not exercise due to pain. I am on day 10 of induction. It has been ok. First 3 days were hard. I have lost 7 lbs so far. I have been looking at everyone's recipes. I like mini cheesecakes but am sensitive to eggs. I get ic symptoms really bad. Bladder pain. Well I guess I will stop talking now. Oh yeah start weight is 168.5 and now 161.5

Last edited by yvetj79; 01-08-2014 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: left out info
yvetj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #794
Senior LCF Member

Hi I would love to be a buddy. My name is Yvette.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 PM   #795
Senior LCF Member

CBrooks. Are you drinking enough water? I have been shooting for atleast 75 ounces of water if possible 100 or more.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 AM   #796
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jen5245
WOE: SBD
Start Date: January 5th
Hi there!

My name is Jen and I live in Annapolis MD. until the last 5 years I never really had much of a weight issue, but now my weight is steadily creeping up and I always feel bloated. As a result of that i am now on the SBD, so far i haven't seen any weightloss I am on day 4. How quickly did you guys see a difference?
jen5245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #797
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aitch
Stats: 200/196/130ish
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Many moons ago.........
Hi all.
I am new here but not new to low carb. I am diabetic and use a low carb lifestyle to keep diabetes under control and to keep my insulin intake as low as possible.
I've let things slide a bit over the holidays and need to lose those extra pounds.
I hope get to know you all and make friends with like minded people.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #798
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5245 View Post
My name is Jen and I live in Annapolis MD. until the last 5 years I never really had much of a weight issue, but now my weight is steadily creeping up and I always feel bloated. As a result of that i am now on the SBD, so far i haven't seen any weightloss I am on day 4. How quickly did you guys see a difference?
Welcome
If you post your question on the South Beach forum here ( South Beach Diet - Low Carb Friends ) you're more likely to get answers
Old 01-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #799
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mammoth
Newbie needs breakfast ideas !

Hi there, just want to introduce myself, I lost 21lbs on Atkins 9 years ago, since then I've slowly gained it all back, In the intervening years I tended to count calories, as this seemed easier, just about everything on the supermarket shelf is measured in calories, and as a working mum, I tended to buy what was easiest and quickest. I now find myself with more time to cook, and I'm looking forward to trying some of the great recipes on here, in the meantime, here I am, day one of induction, not looking forward to the next two weeks, breakfast is my biggest problem, I can't face eggs for breakfast, but they are ok at other meals. Can anyone direct me to a recipe that's allowed on induction, that contains nuts and yogurt, I like Total yogurt, it's high in fat and only contains 3.9 carbs per 100g. Thanks for having me by the way xxxxxxxxxxx
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #800
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreams skinny
Stats: 263/???/125
WOE: Atkins72 (20 or less)
Start Date: Restart Oct . 2013/restart April 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Hi there, just want to introduce myself, I lost 21lbs on Atkins 9 years ago, since then I've slowly gained it all back, In the intervening years I tended to count calories, as this seemed easier, just about everything on the supermarket shelf is measured in calories, and as a working mum, I tended to buy what was easiest and quickest. I now find myself with more time to cook, and I'm looking forward to trying some of the great recipes on here, in the meantime, here I am, day one of induction, not looking forward to the next two weeks, breakfast is my biggest problem, I can't face eggs for breakfast, but they are ok at other meals. Can anyone direct me to a recipe that's allowed on induction, that contains nuts and yogurt, I like Total yogurt, it's high in fat and only contains 3.9 carbs per 100g. Thanks for having me by the way xxxxxxxxxxx
Welcome Mammoth !
dreams skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #801
Administrator

Please read:

If you've been here before and cannot remember your account name or password, please do not create a new account.
Contact the site and let us know what your email or account name was, and we can help you reactivate it.
Members may only have one account, so if you create a new one, you may "kick out" to us as a problem and find your account locked until we see it and deal with it.
If you've already created a new account, please let us know ASAP so we can either merge or disable one of them to prevent possible account locks later on.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/ <-- food and exercise tracking
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #802
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mias
WOE: 20 carbs a day
Start Date: 1/6/14
Greetings to all,
I am now new to low carbing but new to the website.
I sound a lot like Aitch. I'm diabetic. low carbing is the best way to control diabetes and weight. I began my diet (again) this past Monday on the 6th of Jan. and have lost 6 lbs. I would like to lose about 40.
To answer jen5245, I stick to a strict diet of only 20 carbs a day. Since Monday my weight has dropped 6 lbs. and my blood sugar count has gone from 255 to 159. It doesn't take long for me to see a difference on low carb.
But once I get into the low carb diet I don't crave food. When I begin to feel the low carb withdrawals I drink a cup of bullion and it helps with the symptoms.
I wish everyone luck on their low carb diet, I know how challenging it is to stay with a diet.
Once again, good luck and nice meeting all of you.
mias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 AM   #803
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amanda
Stats: 245/245/125
WOE: LowCarb Healthy my way
Start Date: January 2013
Hi everyone! I'm Amanda and I'm very new to the Low Carb life. I've had PCOS since I was fifteen, and due to the lack of health care no one ever told me that Low Carb diet would help. I've always had trouble with my weight, and when I tried to do a low cal, low fat diet with exercise a few years back I didn't lose anything, and I gave up. Back then I was about 220, and I let myself go eating junk, drinking junk (the coca-cola got me!), and even taken up smoking at the age of 25 -.- something I never thought I'd do.

I managed to see a doctor about a year ago, but it was the worst experience of my life. Not only was he mean, and cruel, but he wouldn't even give me any advice. He just said 'lose weight or I can't help you' yeah it was one of those free clinic doctors who don't seem to care at all.

I didn't even know it was the carbs and sugars that were causing 'trouble' for me until I was watching - believe it or not a TV Drama (the Closer). Sad that I could figure things out through fiction rather than non fiction, huh? So I designed a goal for myself! I should technically have started on the second, but I was wholly unprepared and made a few slip ups, but one thing I have given up and for good is soda, and I have reduced all my carbs and sugar very significantly that I went through that 'carb flu' that I've been reading up on extensively, and now that I've got the proper food, and instructions, I'm really ready to lose this weight. Not only for my health, but because I want to feel better again, and stop being an isolated socially awkward person. I've read and read stories, recipes, and carb budgets, and I feel that I can do this, and if I've designed a goal that if I can stick to this, I plan on cold turkey-ing to get off cigarettes.

So hi!
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #804
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: moondogii
WOE: LC
Start Date: Jan 2014
Hi Everyone!!..I'm Dawn, Found out I have Diabetes. Went to a Nutritionist. She gave me a limit of 100-140 carbs to eat a day. Hubby and I are both carb counting. Have read a lot of great ideas
moondogii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #805
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpislander
Hi Everyone, Just started Low Carb lifestyle. Did it in the 90's and lost 30 lbs, but it slowly all came back on by eating processed foods with high sugar content and drinking diet sodas with hidden sugars. People need to know that "sugar" is labelled many different ways and is hidden in products that seem to be low carb, low fat and low sugar. Saw 2 great series on Youtube, The Men Who Make Us Fat and The Men Who Make us Skinny. It's about the food and diet industries and is very eye opening. Everyone should watch these series.
cpislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #806
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Godslamb
Stats: 221/221/150
WOE: low carb high fat
Start Date: January 9 2014
Introduction

Greetings,
I am new to this site, and also new to the low carb way of eating.
I am a homemaker with 3 grown children and I live with my husband of 28 years. We have just moved from Canada to Tennessee due to my husband's work. My children are back in Canada, as is the rest of my extended family.
I have type 2 diabetes and use insulin, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, and other health issues.
I was just recently told by my doctor that I am almost at the end of the amount of insulin I can use before they have to start medicating me other ways. She does not want to do this, so she recommended that I start and exercise and low carb way of eating regime. She wants me to have 40-60 carbs a day. I am so confused by all of this, as I have been eating one way all my life (bad). I have tried diets over the years, but nothing worked long term for me. So now I will try this new way of living, but I need *A LOT* of help. I have a meeting with a nutritionist on Monday so I am hoping she will help me understand much of this, but I will still need help.
Thank you for having this site for people like me. I am excited to start learning.

Last edited by Godslamb; 01-11-2014 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: added more info
Godslamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #807
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CBussey64
Stats: 278.8/264.8/175
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: January 1, 2014
Greetings,

My name is Connie, I'm 49, live in Denver. I'm an IV Technician in a hospital, married to the love of my life Robert (married 2 1/2 years ... together 24 years); I have 2 daughters from my prev. marriage, oldest Stefanee is 28 and lives in San Diego with her Navy Hubby Mike. Youngest Brianna lives in Missouri with her husband Matt and my 2 wonderful grandbabies, Jacoby is 5 and Raigyn is 2.

I low carbed years ago (2000) with Great success but then decided I could do it on my own and we all know how that ended up.

I was working out for 2 years and doing great, but this past May the stair machine at the gym decided to injury my hip and for almost 7 months I couldn't walk without intense pain. The day before my orthopedic surgery appt it stopped. But I've yet to return to gym.

I've gained 30 lbs in that tie (on top of what I needed to lose) ... and hate myself ... to the point I made a bariatric surgery appt. Then the further research I did I discovered I'd have to do low carb after that anyway so why not do it NOW. I've cancelled that appt. and I'm back on the wagon.

I'm a Type II Diabetic, I have hypertension and so many allergies. Even to the point I was scratching every night and my skin hurt ... to what I don't know.

However I do know that in the 5 days I've restarted I have not once itched. Makes me wonder what was in the food I was eating.

Anyway glad to be back.
CBussey64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #808
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aescobar
Stats: 160/160
WOE: moderate carbs
Just started!

Well, I just started this low carb diet at the very end of December (got a jump start on the New year's resolution!). I was inspired by my parents who lost tons of weight (between the both of them) on this low-carb diet. They did it for health reasons (My Dad would have died if he didn't make some changes.) I personally started it for vanity after seeing how much weight they had lost, but the more I am learning, the more I am inspired to do it for life for health reasons. I had no idea how bad breads and pasta and other carbs were bad for you until I started doing the research. I had been raised to follow the food pyramid and did what I thought was the healthy thing to do, eat bread and cereal! I hope that if I lose some weight my husband will be inspired to try it too and then maybe I can get my whole family to try it. When I first started, I cut out all breads, pasta, rice, and milk (except for my morning coffee), but I wasn't paying attention to how many carbs I was eating a day. Then I started to become more aware of what I was eating still had lots of carbs in it (Yogurt, sweetener, gummy-vitamins, jell-o, etc.) I have lost no weight, because I still am probably not doing it correctly (as I understand it, you are supposed to lose weight pretty quickly on this diet). I am trying to watch my carbs intake a little better now. I've done a little more exercise than I normally do too (run on the treadmill now about 25 minutes, 2/3 times a week--I know, this isn't much but hopefully it will help!) Any words of encouragement or advice on what I need to do better? I need all the help I can get. If I'm going to get my family to make life/diet changes, I have to get some results in order to connivence them (and it would be nice to look in the mirror and see someone a little more beautiful every now and then too!)
aescobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #809
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 189/184/135
Start Date: March 5, 2008
Welcome, new members! So many new introductions!

I am not exactly new, but returning. Trying once again to get things under control. The support here has always helped me and I'm hoping that I can find lasting results this time.
ElizabethMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #810
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttonsmum
WOE: Low Carb/High Protein
Hi There everyone (Waves)
I have just been diagnosed with diabetes, & although I lost 1.5st in the last 12 months by doing calorie counting I'm now (From tomorrow going to start low carb. Since the 1st of Jan I have been trying it out & I think its for me & will find it most helpful. I also have other health issues (Diverticular Disease -Crohn's & Temporal lobe epilepsy) All I believe might just improve by going high protein & low carb.
Any help or advice would be great please.
I'm thinking of starting on 20gs of carbs a day.
Hope to get to know you all soonest. Mx
Buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote