Old 11-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #691
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglesann View Post
Hi Everyone, I am very glad I found this site!

I am a 47 year old wife, mom, grandma, and school bus driver. I am 5'1.5" tall and weigh 195. As of 10/21/13, I am on Atkins induction. I lost 5 pounds of water weight the first week and that is it. I tried Atkins 10 years ago and effortlessly lost 30 pounds. It has not been so effortless this time.

I have a fatty liver from years of eating sugary, starchy carbs and I need to make it healthy again. When I told my doc I am doing Atkins, she said since the liver doesn't really like carbs, I can do it for a couple months to get a jump start on weight loss and then switch to something healthier like a Mediterranean diet.

Anyway...I am finding a wealth of information on this website. Thanks for being here.

I think a big misconception is that Atkins is "unhealthy". Maybe it's because of the induction? While restrictive in veggies and no fruit, it's design is to kick your carb addiction to the curb! We're talkin' bad carbs here.

Then you can slowly add (good)carbs and figure out where your "carb equalibrium" is, meaning - how many is too many for you. If you want fruit, eat fruit. If you want a slice of bread, you can have it! It's not about deprivation, it's about finding out what foods your body reacts to in reguards to weight gain and maintenance.

kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #692
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rachel75
Stats: 271/266/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 3 2013
Day 5 of LC eating and all the ukkies have dissipated but I'm having a hard time exercising (tiring easily) I don't want to disrupt my workout routine, I've got a lot of weigh to lose, I'm pretty motivated right now so I don't want to stop until my energy levels go up. Does anyone have a good idea for a snack before working out for a little extra boost.
Rachel75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #693
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Victoria Shaw
Low Carbing Is the Way to Go

Hi everyone.

I wanted to reach out to fellow low-carbers for mutual support.
Low carb diets have gotten a bad rap but study after study show that
weight loss is faster on this kind of diet. Also, the scientific data proves
that there is nothing unhealthy about it at all.

Hang in there!

Victoria
Victoria Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #694
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel75 View Post
Day 5 of LC eating and all the ukkies have dissipated but I'm having a hard time exercising (tiring easily) I don't want to disrupt my workout routine, I've got a lot of weigh to lose, I'm pretty motivated right now so I don't want to stop until my energy levels go up. Does anyone have a good idea for a snack before working out for a little extra boost.
while doing induction, I always made a cup of chicken bullion and added chunks of chicken breast

now my favorite pre-workout snack is 2T natural peanut butter w/celery. It gives you a good combo of protein and carbs
Old 11-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #695
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria Shaw View Post
Hi everyone.

I wanted to reach out to fellow low-carbers for mutual support.
Low carb diets have gotten a bad rap but study after study show that
weight loss is faster on this kind of diet. Also, the scientific data proves
that there is nothing unhealthy about it at all.

Hang in there!

Victoria
Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #696
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: the Lemish
Hi all...back again....5th or 6th time is a charm? I do so well when I low carb...but I get sick of it after awhile, gain all the weight back..feel awful...and then start again.... My new thing is finding excuses NOT to start up again..vacations, holidays, etc., and I have gotten quite good at it. There has GOT to be some kind of happy medium...I know...cause I've seen successful people on here before... Anyway..I need help. I work far away from home so lunches are a problem...also snacks at night. I love beer and ice cream (not together usually).

So hi again....hopefully we can be together for awhile this time.

Steve
the Lemish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #697
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Lemish View Post
Hi all...back again....5th or 6th time is a charm? I do so well when I low carb...but I get sick of it after awhile, gain all the weight back..feel awful...and then start again.... My new thing is finding excuses NOT to start up again..vacations, holidays, etc., and I have gotten quite good at it. There has GOT to be some kind of happy medium...I know...cause I've seen successful people on here before... Anyway..I need help. I work far away from home so lunches are a problem...also snacks at night. I love beer and ice cream (not together usually).

So hi again....hopefully we can be together for awhile this time.

Steve
Welcome Steve!

You picked a GREAT time to come back, right before the holidays! Most people would have said, "to hell with it, I'll start in January." LOL

Planning is the key for your lunches and snacks. On Sundays, I usually throw some chicken in a crockpot or steak on the grill(enough to get me through the week)then I chop and wash up veggies and put them in baggies.

The chicken or beef gets chopped up and put in a broth because that helps fill me up and you can get creative with that too by adding mushrooms or any other veggie you choose and depending on what phase of the plan you are in. My fav go to snack is cheese sticks and turkey jerky. There's tons of great recipes on this site too.

There IS a happy medium! and I love my beer and ice cream too! First of all, don't think of this as a "diet". I call it my "life plan". I'm in it for life. I've never felt better, even tho I'm not at my goal yet, I feel good about myself. Secondly, don't beat yourself up if you "cheat". If I'm craving ice cream, I go to McDonald's and get a little cone instead of the grocery store and buying a half gallon. If I go to a bar, I have found that one beer won't throw me off track(after induction!)and then I switch to Diet Coke or water.

I just turned 50 this year and told myself I was going to stop the yo-yo dieting and sometimes it's not easy but I remind myself why I started and I don't want to go back!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #698
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TXChik
Thanks Roxann!
TXChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #699
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MandyMarie
Stats: 220/202/150
Start Date: November 2013
Hello!

I'm new to the Atkins diet & trying to lose about 50lbs. My problem is, I have found my self tired ALL the time, with no energy after my work day. Has anyone else experience this and if so, what did you do to increase energy?
MandyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #700
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyMarie View Post
I'm new to the Atkins diet & trying to lose about 50lbs. My problem is, I have found my self tired ALL the time, with no energy after my work day. Has anyone else experience this and if so, what did you do to increase energy?
Hi Mandy!

First of all, make sure you are getting enough calories. Sometimes we are inclined to cut calories along with carbs. Make sure you have snacks at work, I've discovered bacon jerkey! and cheese sticks are good choices.

And make sure you are drinking lots of water!

I've lost 50 pounds so you can do it too!!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #701
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MandyMarie
Stats: 220/202/150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwalsh View Post
Hi Mandy!

First of all, make sure you are getting enough calories. Sometimes we are inclined to cut calories along with carbs. Make sure you have snacks at work, I've discovered bacon jerkey! and cheese sticks are good choices.

And make sure you are drinking lots of water!

I've lost 50 pounds so you can do it too!!
thank you! I love all the encouragement & so glad I found this site. I try to drink 70-80oz of water daily.
MandyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #702
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mariley
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 23/9/13
Hi there, I have been doing a LCHF diet for 8 weeks now. In total I have lost 17.3kg and attribute 9kg of that to eating low carb. My goal before the year is out to have lost 20kg. My first main weight goal is to be down 33kg. My ideal weigh loss is 40kg. So i guess 22.7kg to go.
mariley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #703
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mariley
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 23/9/13
sorry for double post but i forgot to say my stats:
I am 23 yo female, i am 170cm tall and currently weigh 95kg. SW was 113kg, my goal weight is 73kg. I am fairly muscly, still obviously have some jiggles but not super jiggly like you'd expect somebody of that weight. Am super keen to keep going on my LCHF diet. Have great results so far.

Oh and Mandy, Hi and good luck with Atkins, during the first week or two i found my self tired all the time and always hungry... IT PASSES, i promise and then you start to feel amazing.
mariley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #704
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy
Stats: 212/212/144
Start Date: April 21, 2014
Hi everyone! I found my way here from another forum and am excited to see that this one looks to be more active. I have about 60lbs to lose. I'm going to be doing JUDDD and making an effort to exercise more. I'm glad to be here and looking forward to getting to know you all!
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #705
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mandyo97
Hi everyone! My name is Mandy and I am doing the 2 day low carb/5 day Mediterranean diet. And I have a few questions already. Should my 2 low carb days be consecutive? And should I steer clear of alcohol altogether on low carb days? I typically meet girl friends 1 night a week for cocktails. They got together on one of my low carb days and I skipped the drinks because I was not sure about this. Thanks!
Mandyo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #706
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Low-Carb Alabama
Stats: 231/174/170
Start Date: January 1, 2013

Hello all, I started eating low-carb on 1/1/2013 after researching diets for months and deciding that "keto" was for me.

I have lost nearly 60 lbs since then and have started my own facebook page to track what I eat (because many folks ask for examples). Maybe you could do the same for your area:

Low-Carb Dining in Southwest Alabama

....which has grown into a full fledged website, www.LowCarbAlabama.com.

This looks like a great place for learning and sharing. Hello everyone.
Low-Carb Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #707
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gillvegas
Help!

Lost a ton on Atkins years ago. 45 now, started Monday. Not lost a pound. No idea why and not sure whether to try something else, I mean nothing!,, so sad.

The only thing I have done, that someone suggested May be wrong, is ate a lot of eggs. I could be intolerant. WSnt aware but do feel huge/bloated. And soooo disappointed-everyone loses a lot in the first week.

ANY advice greatly appreciated.

G x
Gillvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #708
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: charity969
Stats: 143/131/125
Start Date: September 2013
Did Atkins 13 years ago and lost 75 lbs. I go back to it when I get off track and pick up weight. The most exciting thing is all the new low carb products and info now. Almond and coconut flour have enriched my life. Lol. I have been at this WOE so long I consider myself a bit of an expert. At least on what works for me.
charity969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillvegas View Post
Lost a ton on Atkins years ago. 45 now, started Monday. Not lost a pound. No idea why and not sure whether to try something else, I mean nothing!,, so sad.

The only thing I have done, that someone suggested May be wrong, is ate a lot of eggs. I could be intolerant. WSnt aware but do feel huge/bloated. And soooo disappointed-everyone loses a lot in the first week.

ANY advice greatly appreciated.

G x

It's hard to tell what could be going on but you stated you feel "huge/bloated"
caught my attention because I have problems with constipation, not related to eating LC. I make sure I eat 2-3 cups of lettuce/day to keep things moving along! Make sure you are drinking plenty of water too.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #710
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charity969 View Post
Did Atkins 13 years ago and lost 75 lbs. I go back to it when I get off track and pick up weight. The most exciting thing is all the new low carb products and info now. Almond and coconut flour have enriched my life. Lol. I have been at this WOE so long I consider myself a bit of an expert. At least on what works for me.
Congrats on the 75 lb weight loss! and having the low carb products are great - I ordered some thru netrition.com and had them within three days!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #711
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lizalovie
hello to all - just joined this site so i have no idea what all is available to me. i really need support to lose 75 pounds. ugh! menopause and many life stressing events gave me free license to eat my feelings!! on a routine check up my weight has given me high blood pressure and elevated triglycerids. i really want these resolved asap. so chose low carb and in 10 days lost 8 lbs!!! i was elated. then on my 11th day i gained a pound and a half back!!! cried for 30 minutes. sos!!!
lizalovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #712
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeeesecake
Stats: 218/174.25/154
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Re-start 18 November 2013
I can remember saying to myself that I would NEVER come off the wagon and have to restart but whoops!!!

I lost 43lbs previously and rebelled against myself at the beginning of June and I've put on about 16lbs since then. I started Atkins Induction yesterday so I'll see where I'm at in 2 weeks!
cheeeesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #713
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizalovie View Post
hello to all - just joined this site so i have no idea what all is available to me. i really need support to lose 75 pounds. ugh! menopause and many life stressing events gave me free license to eat my feelings!! on a routine check up my weight has given me high blood pressure and elevated triglycerids. i really want these resolved asap. so chose low carb and in 10 days lost 8 lbs!!! i was elated. then on my 11th day i gained a pound and a half back!!! cried for 30 minutes. sos!!!
just remember our weight fluctuates from day to day, so don't get upset! You're on the right track, what you've lost already most likely brought down your blood pressure!

Life stressing events are going to happen - Don't take that as a license to eat! We're here for ya and there's always someone who listens or gives ya a kick in the butt if you need it
Old 11-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #714
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeeesecake View Post
I can remember saying to myself that I would NEVER come off the wagon and have to restart but whoops!!!

I lost 43lbs previously and rebelled against myself at the beginning of June and I've put on about 16lbs since then. I started Atkins Induction yesterday so I'll see where I'm at in 2 weeks!
Congrats on the weight loss! Even thought you put some back on,you know what to do!

You can do it!!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #715
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: caligrl56
Hello Everyone. Am new to this site. Today is my first day on the Low Carb Life Style. I am hoping to lose 80 lbs. I guess if I can just get thru these next three days, I'll have the confidence I need to get on my journey. Thanks for letting me be apart of this great crowd.
caligrl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #716
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NowImMe
Stats: 235/235/130
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic
Hello All,

I have just discovered and joined this site. It looks like there are tons of resources. I have fought weight issues all my life but avoided diabetes until last year. Amazingly, it was not my weight that killed my pancreas but rather either a virus or a reaction to a statin drug I was prescribed last June. I went from non diabetic to insulin dependent in 3 months. Not so good but now I have to manage it. I hope to lose weight as the result of a very low carb diet but the main purpose of eating low carb is to control my glucose levels. Carnivore that I am, I have been looking at a change to a vegan diet but, so far, I have not decided to make that leap. I look forward to interacting with you.
NowImMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #717
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, caligrl & NowImMe! Glad you found your way here and hope it's an inspiration to you as it has been to me. The success stories are endless! It's not always easy, but the insightfulness of the posters here is always a boost.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #718
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Low-Carb Alabama
Stats: 231/174/170
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrl56 View Post
Hello Everyone. Am new to this site. Today is my first day on the Low Carb Life Style. I am hoping to lose 80 lbs. I guess if I can just get thru these next three days, I'll have the confidence I need to get on my journey. Thanks for letting me be apart of this great crowd.
It will happen if you are hard-headed about it. You have to draw the line and not step across it, not even once. Stick with it completely for 3 months at least and you'll see benefits.
Low-Carb Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #719
JsF
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JsF
Stats: 157/135
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: 11/19/2013
Hi, I just started eating low carb Monday and really dont know much about it. I have gained about 30 unwanted lbs in the past two years and have had no success in losing them. My girlfriend swears by this so I am giving it a shot!
JsF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #720
JsF
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JsF
Stats: 157/135
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: 11/19/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsF View Post
Hi, I just started eating low carb Monday and really dont know much about it. I have gained about 30 unwanted lbs in the past two years and have had no success in losing them. My girlfriend swears by this so I am giving it a shot!
We can do this! Hey everyone this is my girlfriend, we're in this together.
JsF is offline   Reply With Quote