Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #661
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flwf
Stats: 235/212/180
WOE: loosely following Atkins/Protein Power
Start Date: May 2013 (previously 2000-2001)
Eating the right way again after a long road

Hi, I originally started atkins after I gave birth and nursed two healthy boys and was borderline with gestational diabetes. Lost 46 pounds in 18 months and felt great... and got pregnant again! No diabetes issues with her, but I gained over 30 pounds with her to go right back to the same weight I delivered my boys at (218). She is now almost 12, and my middle child is 15 and 6'3" and was 233 pounds. His doctor became concerned about Type 2 diabetes, and with his father and my father having Type 2 I decided that he would be my low carb buddy. He has lost an amazing 35 pounds and keeps asking me why I every let him get fat (he wasn't fat, we thought, just solid). Anyway, I haven't lost quite as much, but I have lost 20 pounds since we started and I have just over 30 left to go. I'm fighting with my motivation since we both got blood work done and while his numbers are excellent, showing he's now healthier than he was, my numbers are terrible! 272 cholesterol, 44 HDL, over 100 blood glucose. I feel like I must be doing something right because I feel better and I'm steadily losing weight, but why is my cholesterol so high?
flwf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #662
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBliss
Stats: 222/214/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov/13
Gentle support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
many here still drink their coffee. Maybe just try cutting back half a cup at a time.

There is another option... giving your existing plan more time. Whatever you chose to do, it should be something you can live with long-term.
Thank you

I'm making the attempt to drink hot tea instead of coffee for 2 of my hot drink breaks today, and will still enjoy 2 cups of coffee. Just venting about it earlier seemed to steel my determination. I really didn't think I needed or wanted to be in a 'support group'...but perhaps I was wrong. So far I have perused a great number of posts, and just hearing other people discuss their issues and successes is surprisingly comforting and inspiring!
MissBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #663
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: editor

Hi everyone , I've been low carb for a while, I already lost 31 pounds. I'm here to keep going and hopefully get some clarity and tips on things .
editor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #664
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbie83
Stats: 266/251.6/180
WOE: Low Carb/Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: 2/19/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXChik View Post
hi ... just started yesterday but I think I made an error. I had butternut squash. Not sure if its permitted on the induction. So I just decided since I was 2 lbs up from yesterday that I would just start again.

Find it odd that I was up 2 lbs just bc of that but would welcome any insight, tips, etc.

Thanks all!
It could just be water weight, since you are just starting out. Don't be so hard on yourself. Butternut squash may not be induction-friendly but its better than Krispy Kreme! Keep it all in perspective

Induction is the time when your body releases lots of stored water. Help it along by drinking tons of water! 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight. It's a lot but very doable if you start right when you wake up and spread it throughout the day
Barbie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #665
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dangerousmartini
Stats: 281/267/145
WOE: I'm doing a low carb lifestyle
Start Date: September 19, 2013
"If loving bacon is wrong, I don't want to be right."

Hello Everyone! I'm new here...

Whenever I would Google a general question online, I would eventually find this inspiring Low Carb Friends Board. GREAT TIPS and SUPPORT HERE!!!! I had to join and introduce myself. I have been low carbing it for 6 weeks now and this is the lifestyle for me! I have over 100 pounds to lose, yet it's going to take as long as it's going to take to lose it. I just don't want to gain it back. My goal is to improve the quality of "The last half of my life." I hope my journey will be an inspiration one day, like so many of you.

Last edited by dangerousmartini; 10-24-2013 at 09:45 PM..
dangerousmartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #666
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vegaslassie
New!

Hi, Everyone!

I'm new here and very excited to be on Atkins. I've been on it before, but it's been quite a few years. I did have moderate success when I was on Atkins before, but never stayed on it until I reached goal. Right now, I'm not sure how long I want to be on Atkins, but at least a few weeks before modifying it to just eat healthy raw food and some protein. Maybe that's still Atkins, I don't know!

I'm thrilled to be doing Atkins because I know it will get rid of my sugar cravings, keep me away from gluten, and produce results. The hardest part for me in any diet is when I cheat and feel bad about it and when the scale shows a gain (but I'm following the diet). I'm working hard at seeing my eating as a way of life, or as a way of eating and to not let any little setbacks set me back!
vegaslassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #667
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreams skinny
Stats: 263/???/125
WOE: Atkins72 (20 or less)
Start Date: Restart Oct . 2013/restart April 1, 2014
hi

hi everybody im low carbing . doing OK want to eat something sweet but dont want to mess up all my work so far. even just the jello with heavy whipping cream would be great .
dreams skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #668
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreams skinny
Stats: 263/???/125
WOE: Atkins72 (20 or less)
Start Date: Restart Oct . 2013/restart April 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmarieann View Post
Low carbing is the only way I can stay within a good weight and keep it off. Came off to goof off and now all that was off is back on. Getting back to me and taking care of me. Hello, I am Kimmarie and glad to be amongst winners!
Hi Kimmarieann
dreams skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #669
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bobbinb
Stats: 250 / 240/165
WOE: atkins
Start Date: october 2013

Im new at all of this, im not even sure im doing this right. Never used a website hope it will help. Im just starting, im already down 7lbs in a week. Oh so many more to go. I know it works I lost 60lbs a few years ago but went threw some major life stuff and it came right back. Just want to say hang in, I pop a piece of sugarfree candy in my mouth or gum it does the trick for helping with cravings.
bobbinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #670
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: japerkins65
Trying this again

Well, my name is Julie and I'm trying this again. I've lost weight on the Atkins diet before, but that was a few years ago and it has crept back on. So, I'd love to keep it off FOR GOOD! Excited to start this journey!
japerkins65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #671
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dangerousmartini
Stats: 281/267/145
WOE: I'm doing a low carb lifestyle
Start Date: September 19, 2013
I'm new too! We can do this, together.... One thing that has really helped me make a change that someone told me was, "If you can't maintain it, you can't sustain it." I am finding a low carb lifestyle maintainable. It's going to take as long as it will to get to my goal weight. No more dieting or measuring or starving or over working out. Just enjoying good food and living a normal life with a normal amount of exercise, and I'm losing on an average 1 to 2 pounds per week. What is different than before is I know that these pounds lost will not come back like the ones before because this is not a diet with a deadline. This is a way of life. I'm eating bacon! This is awesome! We can do this my friends, and you are not alone. If I can do this, anyone can.
dangerousmartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #672
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: justmaxine55
Stats: 256.8/245.8/180
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 10/15/13
Hello! I am on day 13 of Induction and 11 lbs down. Its so nice to come across a website of like minded people who won't bash me for following Atkins. (there's a lotta haters out there!) I have been a member of this site for a week and I absolutely love the support, recipes and encouragement. I am going to need it!
justmaxine55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #673
rlc
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rlc
Stats: 280/222/155
Start Date: October 17, 2013
Hello!
I have just signed up here. I am doing atkins and am on day 9 of induction. I lost a good amount of weight about a year and a half ago just be exercising and eating in moderation. I kept it weight off for a good amount of time, but became comfortable having way to many big meals and gained 15-18 pounds back. My clothes are hard to fit and I was feeling really down and uncomfortable. I had about a month in a half where I was depressed and didn't care after the weight gain. But finially something clicked, and I knew I had to stop the gain before it got really realy bad. Now I am on atikins and am enjoying the foods. My friends and family know this time- its werid to be on a real diet. I feel supported most of the time but I am sensitive, so comments about atkins being healthy/safe really get me down on myself.

I think the biggest thing I am going to have trouble with is drinking. I know you can drink hard liquor and I am ok with that, but I cant be drinking as much as I was on this program.

Well hope to look around the site some more and encourage others and get encouragement!

Cheers
rlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #674
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msc18
hi yall!

Hello everyone. My name is Starr. I'm starting the low carb diet today. I am looking forward to meeting new people, getting new ideas and encouragement.
msc18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #675
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RiverWhispering
Stats: 116 kilos/113.9 kilos/don't know goal yet.
Start Date: October 14th 2013
Tis me River

Hi everyone, I'm on Atkins as of three weeks ago yesterday. I'm down about 7 pounds and have to lose about 45 pounds total to be able to get on the kidney transplant list. The Atkins diet goes very well with the renal diet. I just wish I had discovered it sooner.
RiverWhispering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #676
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: denene

i am denene and i am 125 lbs overweight and prediabetic . i am a 2 x cancer survivor the downside of hat was i developed lymphodema in im feet an legs (bad swelling when stand too long my shoe size goes ffrom sz 7 1/2 to 11 and radiation pretty much stopped my metabolism. (i will gain 5 pounds every week on a 1800 calorie a week diet according to one dr i had to lose weight i have to follow a 500 calorie a day diet and i tried i really did try but i couldnt sick to it (even though i did lose some weight doing it) needless to say i gained alot of weight i develop thyroid problems and blood pressure problems, asthma and arthritis in feet knees hips and hands and was told no exercise. i have changed my dr he has given me a appitie suppresent (short term) and put me on a low carb diet. it is the first time i dont feell hungry all the time but havent lost much weight (only 10 lbs in the lst 5 weeks) but its a start i want to losse so bad and am so afraid this isnt going to work i just want to cry
denene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #677
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TXChik
Hi today is day 9 for me ... not seeing a ton of difference. Granted I just weighed and its close to bed time. I will weigh again in the morning. I need to spend a bit more time on this site getting ideas for meals.

Yesterday

B: tuna with mayo and onion
L: grilled chicken salad with ranch dressing
D: 3 chicken legs with spinach and slice of jalapeno cheddar cheese

S: diet cranberry limeade from sonic, diet jello with HWC

Today

B: 2 jalapenos with cream cheese, shrimp and wrapped in bacon and a hamburger patty with onions
L: 2 jalapenos with cream cheese, shrimp and wrapped in bacon and a hamburger patty with onions, ˝ avocado with diet coke
D: Salmon and spinach

TXChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #678
Junior LCF Member

Ok day 10 and I have not budged on the scale. Not pleased about that but that has to mean that a big whoosh is coming my way. Any ideas?
Old 11-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #679
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: scrpbooklady
Stats: 273/265/200
Start Date: restarted 10/13/13
I've always heard the 3rd time is the charm.....

......wonder if that will hold true for Atkins?
Hi! My name is Lora and I'm giving Atkins another try. My husband and I have tried Atkins with great success in the past. Unfortunately, life has a way of throwing us curves and we didn't stick with it. So, of course, the weight came back.

My daughter has struggled with weight since she hit puberty and now at 33 her doctor has suggested Atkins. I have told her several times that it would work for her but she was always resistant. Now that the doctor suggested it, she was willing to give it a try.

We started Induction 3 weeks ago this coming Sunday. We did great the first two weeks but are struggling with gains this week. We are reevaluating our foods and sticking with it - I know that it works we just have to give it time.

I've used this forum in the past for recipes and ideas but apparently had never joined. So glad to find it still here - I know there are lots of great ideas here and will stop in frequently for recipes and tips.
scrpbooklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #680
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Ok day 10 and I have not budged on the scale. Not pleased about that but that has to mean that a big whoosh is coming my way. Any ideas?
I would try cutting out the drinks from Sonic and pushing water. From my personal experience, and I'm addicted to Diet Coke, if I limit the drinks with artificial sweeteners, the scale tends to move downward much better.

Welcome back and good luck!
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #681
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Now that the doctor suggested it, she was willing to give it a try.
Sounds like my daughter, always a little resistant to what Mom says...but now it's great you have a "buddy" to help you stick with it and get thru tough days.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #682
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denene View Post
i am denene and i am 125 lbs overweight and prediabetic . i am a 2 x cancer survivor the downside of hat was i developed lymphodema in im feet an legs (bad swelling when stand too long my shoe size goes ffrom sz 7 1/2 to 11 and radiation pretty much stopped my metabolism. (i will gain 5 pounds every week on a 1800 calorie a week diet according to one dr i had to lose weight i have to follow a 500 calorie a day diet and i tried i really did try but i couldnt sick to it (even though i did lose some weight doing it) needless to say i gained alot of weight i develop thyroid problems and blood pressure problems, asthma and arthritis in feet knees hips and hands and was told no exercise. i have changed my dr he has given me a appitie suppresent (short term) and put me on a low carb diet. it is the first time i dont feell hungry all the time but havent lost much weight (only 10 lbs in the lst 5 weeks) but its a start i want to losse so bad and am so afraid this isnt going to work i just want to cry
First of all, 10 lbs. in 5 weeks is awesome, especially with all you are dealing with right now! Good thing you got rid of your previous doc - anyone that would put you one 500 cal/day is a quack, in my opinion! That's nuts.

I had cancer in my thyroid and had it removed, went thru radiation treatments, so I know what it feels like to have low/no metabolism. Still working on getting correct meds. Hang in there!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #683
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverWhispering View Post
Hi everyone, I'm on Atkins as of three weeks ago yesterday. I'm down about 7 pounds and have to lose about 45 pounds total to be able to get on the kidney transplant list. The Atkins diet goes very well with the renal diet. I just wish I had discovered it sooner.

Prayers to you to help you with your weight loss and getting on that transplant list!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #684
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gigglesann
Stats: 200/195/130
WOE: Atkins phase 1
Start Date: 10/21/13
Hi All, I'm new to Low Carb Friends...

Hi Everyone, I am very glad I found this site!

I am a 47 year old wife, mom, grandma, and school bus driver. I am 5'1.5" tall and weigh 195. As of 10/21/13, I am on Atkins induction. I lost 5 pounds of water weight the first week and that is it. I tried Atkins 10 years ago and effortlessly lost 30 pounds. It has not been so effortless this time.

I have a fatty liver from years of eating sugary, starchy carbs and I need to make it healthy again. When I told my doc I am doing Atkins, she said since the liver doesn't really like carbs, I can do it for a couple months to get a jump start on weight loss and then switch to something healthier like a Mediterranean diet.

Anyway...I am finding a wealth of information on this website. Thanks for being here.
Gigglesann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #685
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gigglesann
Stats: 200/195/130
WOE: Atkins phase 1
Start Date: 10/21/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousmartini View Post
Hello Everyone! I'm new here...

Whenever I would Google a general question online, I would eventually find this inspiring Low Carb Friends Board. GREAT TIPS and SUPPORT HERE!!!! I had to join and introduce myself. I have been low carbing it for 6 weeks now and this is the lifestyle for me! I have over 100 pounds to lose, yet it's going to take as long as it's going to take to lose it. I just don't want to gain it back. My goal is to improve the quality of "The last half of my life." I hope my journey will be an inspiration one day, like so many of you.
That is exactly how I wound up here! Every time I used my search engine for low carb information, it would send me here.
Good luck to you!
Gigglesann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #686
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwalsh View Post
I would try cutting out the drinks from Sonic and pushing water. From my personal experience, and I'm addicted to Diet Coke, if I limit the drinks with artificial sweeteners, the scale tends to move downward much better.

Welcome back and good luck!
Thanks for the tip. I will try this week.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #687
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msjaebea
Stats: 170/138/120
Start Date: 1-1-13
I have been lurking around for quite some time and finally decided to register! I have been on Atkins since Jan 13...a NY resolution that finally paid off. Though battling low thyroid, I have lost 32 of my 50 lb goal and 24 inches. It has changed my life! No more hip and knee pain! My biggest problem? Winter is here and none of my clothes fit from last year. Even my shoes are too big....that was a surprise! Need a little extra $$ to buy clothes!

I have had the most fun learning a whole new way to cook. Have tried lots of recipes from here and had enjoyed them a lot! Since I am adventurous by nature, there has been a lot of experimenting going on.

I am a LC lifer now. I enjoy eating this way and don't want to go back the way I was.
msjaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #688
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: belinda57
Stats: 161/147/130
WOE: reducing carbs
Start Date: October 2013
New to this.

I lost 10lbs on a low fat diet but it's taken a year. Hoping for quicker results.
belinda57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #689
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ~Roxann~
Start Date: November 2013
JUMPING BACK ON THE WAGON

Hi everybody my name is Roxann and I had great results with Atkins back in 2011. I went from 230 lbs to 152 lbs. It took a lot of willpower and exercise. I felt great, healthy and confident. But life kicked me in the shin and I had a set back. Now I'm back up to 200lbs . It's been hard trying to get back on the ball. I've tried many times to get motivated but I kept cheating. I've tried doing the low calorie thing but it doesn't work for me. I stay at my weight. I don't lose. I know what works for me. Low carb! So I've decided to start my diet again but this time I'm going to try to do it with the support of Low carb Friends. I feel if I open myself up online I could have the push I need knowing there are people in the world going through what I am going through. I started on Monday and doing great. Tonight my body's is freaking out because I went cold turkey with out the starchy carbs. I'm fighting the urge for chips and dip. LOL I would love a low carb friend to help me with my journey. I'm serious this time I hope y'all can be my support beam . Thanks for reading my post
~Roxann~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #690
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ~Roxann~
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Hi today is day 9 for me ... not seeing a ton of difference. Granted I just weighed and its close to bed time. I will weigh again in the morning. I need to spend a bit more time on this site getting ideas for meals.

Yesterday

B: tuna with mayo and onion
L: grilled chicken salad with ranch dressing
D: 3 chicken legs with spinach and slice of jalapeno cheddar cheese

Today

B: 2 jalapenos with cream cheese, shrimp and wrapped in bacon and a hamburger patty with onions
L: 2 jalapenos with cream cheese, shrimp and wrapped in bacon and a hamburger patty with onions, ˝ avocado with diet coke
D: Salmon and spinach

I remember a while back I went to Sonic and asked for a diet cherry limeade. The guy told me the only thing that was diet was the soda not the syrup. I was bummed about that. LOL ask the next time you go if the cranberry flavor is also sugar free. That does sound good though.
~Roxann~ is offline   Reply With Quote