Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #631
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody1958
VSG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I wanted to let you know that we have a Weight Loss Surgery board https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/. Some of us are "newly" post-op but some of us are farther out. I had a VSG in March 2010. I'd love to see you post there
Thanks for the quick response. Congrats on your amazing weight loss. I will check out that board, but what does VSG stand for? My surgery was RNY/fobi pouch. -- Jody
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #632
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmarieann
Stats: 268 /260 /180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/07/13
Getting back to me

Low carbing is the only way I can stay within a good weight and keep it off. Came off to goof off and now all that was off is back on. Getting back to me and taking care of me. Hello, I am Kimmarie and glad to be amongst winners!
Kimmarieann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #633
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy12
WOE: Atkins and Gluten Free
Start Date: October 1, 2013
Hi everyone. I have been looking around on this site for a bit and figured it's time to sign up to get acquainted and also to help myself stay on track. I did low carb just before getting pregnant with my 2nd daughter. I lost weight then and was very happy with my weight. So, I know I can do it if I set my mind to it. I tend to stress eat. I eat because the husband is snacking, because the kids are getting on my nerves, or because work stresses me out. I find many excuses. I started low carb on October 1 of this year and have only cheated one day thus far. I have lost 6 pounds so far. Anyhow, looking forward to being here and getting acquainted. I'm going to post a couple of my favorite recipes to see if they can be tweeked to be low carb. Thanks and see you on the boards.
Lucy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Kimmarie and Lucy! Glad to have you both here.

Lucy, I fully understand about eating for reasons other than hunger. I mostly ate because husband and kids are eating, or someone leaves leftovers on their plate and as we are on a very tight budget I just can't see it being thrown away. I know horrible right.

But wow, 6lbs is a Great loss so far! You are doing great! There are a lot of good recipes on here and you can also google Linda Sue who has some amazing induction recipes. I know it's hard, but try not to cheat. If you get hungry, try to have some meat already cooked that you snack on. When I cook chicken, I'll cook extra to keep some in the fridge ready for me to snack on. Great reheated and smother with butter and salt n pepper, or chopped to put on a salad.

Hope to see you both around, and look forward to reading your posts.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #635
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy12
WOE: Atkins and Gluten Free
Start Date: October 1, 2013
Thanks very much for the welcome.
Lucy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #636
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jephersun
Stats: 224/173/150 - Start June 10, 2013
WOE: NK
Start Date: June 2013
Hello everyone, I joined a couple days ago. I gain about 50 lbs in the last two years and thought that I needed to make some changes in my life. I originally turned to the raw diet in May 2013...After a month, I couldn't do it. I wanted cooked food. My friend was paying 100's of dollars every week on food to follow a low carb diet (he was doing Ideal Protein). However, I didn't have that kind of money to join. Therefore, I read a handful of books on Ketosis and decided to stick to it. I started on June 10, 2013. My start weight was 224.2 and yesterday I weighed in at 173.1. The last few weeks my weight has consistently stayed at 173-174. I got discouraged, so I decided to join the message board for support and to show myself if others can get through a stall I can too.

Last edited by jephersun; 10-11-2013 at 02:13 PM..
jephersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #637
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gramma
Stats: 168/157/118
Start Date: Restart 8/31/2013
Thanks for Keeping On Keeping On

It's time to restart a way of life that works --- my story is one you've all heard over and over. Went low carb, lost weight, maintained for a period of time (actually over 10 years!) and then allowed well-meaning friends/family dissuade me from my personal "best practice.

But the "thanks for ..." above is for all of you for continuing to post and encourage one another ... I've been reading your posts and following your progresses of and on for years and believe it's time for me to get back on the train and use LCF as an accountability measure for my long-term health and wellness.

And thanks, too, for always being so welcoming to both newbies and re-starters.
Gramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #638
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Runandeat
My first post ever

Hi! I'm doing low carb for the second time. No specific plan, just keepin the carbs low. The first time I quit because it made running too hard and I developed some thyroid issues. But I've read more books and I'm convinced this is the way I should eat most of the time. I feel so much better. I've adapted and running is better now - thank goodness because adapting was dreadful. I started low carbing for a couple of weeks then went to Europe for two weeks and ate whatever I wanted. Since I've been back it's been four weeks and I lost like 10 pounds the first week but then gained a couple back (with no change in my diet) and I've been hovering around the same two pounds ever since. I'm not sure if this is the common initial stall I've read about or if I just have too little weight to lose maybe? I'm 183 and 6 feet tall so at the high end of health BMI. My body fat is 24% - That's what I'm most interested in changing but seeing the same number on the scale all the time is annoying! I am guessing that I need to be more careful with calories, maybe try all that stuff like eat more fat, less cheese, fewer nuts, no artificial sweeteners, etc. to lose since I don't have much to lose. Sigh. Or maybe I should take measurements. Since the weight seems to stay the same no matter what, I've been less careful, eating a lot more veggies and having like 60-75 total carbs per day instead of the 50 rule I had. I'm guessing I just need to try some different things out to see what works for me. Anyone know of any forums/threads for people in my situation (not that much weight to lose)? I'm looking for suggestions for that - what to do when you get close. For some reason I feel like 165 is some magical weight for me but really it's all about the body fat for me, all about less of it. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer!
Runandeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #639
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: binkamom
Stats: 235/226/165
Start Date: May 2014
Back to Low Carbing

Why do I ever stray???? (knocking on own head) I am convinced that I should make a video for myself that features me - talking to me - and telling myself not to be swayed by that piece of cake or a staff luncheon and instead stick to my low carb guns! I would be most convincing when I am speaking from that spot when I am keenly aware of just how energetic I feel (and how much better my pants fit!) I should keep the video someplace where I could "break into it" in an emergency - much like a fire axe! That being said - I am recommitting myself to this lifestyle and I have filled my freezer and cupboards with only those items that support this choice! I would also like to add that I am truly grateful for this particular site - I rely on the tips, encouragement and most of all - recipes - that you all share here!!!
binkamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #640
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the awesome welcome everyone!
I feel loved
Old 10-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #641
Junior LCF Member

Binkamom, I feel the same way. Straying to have an affair with potatoes and cookies that leave me disgusted and overwhelmed! But now I have found so many recipes to have these but in a way that won't plump me up. Started Monday and I have lost one pound everyday!
I am So HYPED!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #642
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurelBP
Hi from Sausalito, CA. Started Low -Carb two weeks ago and am PLAGUED by carb cravings. Any advice?
LaurelBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #643
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Jephersun, you'll find a lot of support here. Many have had stalls and worked through them successfully. Try posted a new thread on it for help.

Keep with it Gramma. The key is to have a good support group that doesn't try to convince you to eat outside of your plan. If you don't have family/friends that support you, having a group forum certainly does.

Runandeat, Welcome, Welcome Welcome. Try making a post with your specific questions and you'll get plenty of response. There are a lot of athletic people in the forum who can help.

Bink - WB. Great idea on the video - Do IT! I think I will make one too. I love that idea.

Hi Laurel and Welcome to the forum. Scan through the recipes here or Linda Sue's (google her). They may not all be exact taste replicas of what you want, but they come pretty darn close. And so far all the ones I have tried are Delish!
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #644
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katy
Stats: 299/279/150
WOE: Primal Blueprint 80/20
Start Date: Restart 12/29/13 at 290.5 lbs
I am restarting. I initially started in May of 2012 and went from 299 to 265 but then it fell apart Fall of 2012 after our then 2 year old was identified with developmental delays, sensory processing disorder and we may be looking at mild autism in the future. Then our employer cut our wages to the point we are making minimum wage. Depression over both things and lack of money caused me to regain weight up to 294 pounds.

My son is doing amazing now. He's 3 and in developmental preschool. We are lucky that his developmental delays are not cognitive and he is so smart. He gets PT and OT. The initial grief and depression I felt at finding my beautiful baby boy was delayed and had special needs has turned to pride in how amazing he is. We still do not have an official diagnosis beyond the sensory issues and delays but even if he does have mild autism we are ok with it. We are just focusing on getting him help and he is making tons of progress.

Work still isn't paying us well but a large insurance company is opening a new call center closer to home and I got a contingent employment offer yesterday pending a background check and drug test. My husband is interviewing with them Monday. If he gets hired our income is going to increase from making what will end up being 42,000 combined this year to 62,000 combine. Not wealthy but we can eat so much better than boxed macaroni and ramen.

I restarted last week and my weight has already dropped to 283. I'm excited.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #645
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Runandeat
My specific question

Thanks mjgh06!

I'd like to find a thread or just year from people about their experiences with low carb dieting as they approach their weight goal. It seems like things have to change for most people when they get to that point since it's typically harder to lose the last pounds. I'd like to know specifically what people had to do in order to lose near their goal (reduce calories, cut out cheese, increase exercise, whatever). Maybe there are some threads on the subject?
Runandeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #646
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: winefairy
WOE: LC/JUDDD
New here

Just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I've been reading various threads here and am impressed with the host of knowledge and support.

I've been low carbing for awhile and am looking forward to meeting new friends.
winefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #647
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crsrchk
Stats: 179/179/150
Start Date: October 15, 2013
Jumping back on the wagon again. It seems LC'ing is the only way for me to lose & maintain. Hopefully, I can stick with it for the long run.
crsrchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #648
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: winefairy
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crsrchk View Post
Jumping back on the wagon again. It seems LC'ing is the only way for me to lose & maintain. Hopefully, I can stick with it for the long run.
I can really relate to jumping on & off the wagon. Back on for the long hall this time and am feeling pretty great. Not really craving the chips, bread, pasta, etc. My only obstacle is the wine. Keeping that to a minimum though and not having any trouble staying in keto when mildly endulging.
winefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #649
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crsrchk
Stats: 179/179/150
Start Date: October 15, 2013
LOL...mine would be the beer.
crsrchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #650
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: music_girl
Stats: 162/155/125
WOE: The 100
Start Date: September 2013
HI All

I have been reading your forums for some time and thought I should join so I can ask more questions and also be able to help others with my experiences.

I go up and down in weight, mostly due to getting put on prescription meds that make me gain weight. And then of course this whole menopause thing makes it impossible to lose anything.

I work out with a personal trainer once a week and then he gives me a full schedule of other work outs to do on my own. On average I work out 5-6 days a week doing weight training, cross-fit and running.

I have been stuck at my current weight, and I love all your ideas on how to get past these awful plateaus. I am stuck in between eating low carb, eating vegetarian, and eating paleo. I am not sure how to combine all 3. At the moment I am eating low-carb and adhering to The 100.

I am so glad I found all of you! This site is a huge knowledgebase.
music_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #651
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: donosmam
New here

Hello,
I'm new here but not to LC. In 2001 I began using Suzanne Somers low carb diets. Lost right away, went from a size 12 to a size 2 in 3 months.
I began gaining and got discouraged. I went on a low cal diet 2 years ago and lost all my weight again. It began creeping up due to falling off the low cal way. When I began again, it really didn't work, so I decided to LC again.
I know how to do this, so for the last 4 weeks. I have cut out all white foods (except cauliflower) and cut out sugar. I haven't lost an ounce. My clothes don't fit better either.
I'm an avid walker, I walk 3-5 miles 5-6 days per week, regardless of diets or no diets! I LOVE walking.
I'm hoping this will work again, I look forward to reading the threads and garnering enough info to figure why I'm failing this time.
donosmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #652
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cmaccallum
Stats: 206/196/150
WOE: Low Carb/IF
Start Date: January 2013
Hello, finally signed up after lurking for about two years!! I am currently back on track. I started off following a diet called neris and indias idiot proff diet. Maybe a British thing only. Its similar to Atkins I guess. I don't count calories and don't even count carbs.... I just only eat things that are less than 5/100g or 5/100ml. Except natural peanut butter hehe. Any way since restarting am down 8lbs this time. Hope to join in more,
Catherine xxx
cmaccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #653
Ddk
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ddk
Hi! Name is Diane... Just stumbled upon this site the other day ... Glad to have found you! Started the 100 by Jorge Cruise July 1st and am down 25 lbs... 25 more to go! My issue now is joint pain... Otherwise feeling good!

Last edited by Ddk; 10-18-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Ddk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #654
Ddk
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ddk
Wow! 50 lbs in 4 months!! Congrats! What is your goal?

Wow! 50 lbs in 4 months!! Congrats! What is your goal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephersun View Post
Hello everyone, I joined a couple days ago. I gain about 50 lbs in the last two years and thought that I needed to make some changes in my life. I originally turned to the raw diet in May 2013...After a month, I couldn't do it. I wanted cooked food. My friend was paying 100's of dollars every week on food to follow a low carb diet (he was doing Ideal Protein). However, I didn't have that kind of money to join. Therefore, I read a handful of books on Ketosis and decided to stick to it. I started on June 10, 2013. My start weight was 224.2 and yesterday I weighed in at 173.1. The last few weeks my weight has consistently stayed at 173-174. I got discouraged, so I decided to join the message board for support and to show myself if others can get through a stall I can too.
Ddk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #655
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MetalliCHAD
Stats: 211/211/165
WOE: LC 20/net
Start Date: October 2013
New

Hi everyone. New to the forums. Starting in late 2000 I started low carbing and went from 230 to 190 with not too much effort. I put some of the weight back on and starting in the Summer of 2002, I started alternating between low carb and low calorie. At this time I was about 220. To make a long story short, between mid 2002 and the Summer of 2003 I reached my first mini-goal of 170. Between 2003 and 2006, I achieved my all time goal of 160. Slowly, but surely, over the years (from 2006 to 2010 I ranged from 160 - 180). 2011 and 2012 were challenging years for me and I inched my way up to 190 to 200. I've maintained about 205 for most of 2013 by eating sensibly during the week and literally anything that I wanted on the weekends. I haven't been successfully able to stick with the low carb diet even for two weeks. What used to be SO easy for me to stick with, I now find very difficult. I've been a lurker off and on for a while and finally decided to introduce myself. I'm currently 211. My first mini-goal is 190 by Thanksgiving. I know it is a pretty aggressive goal but I'm going to give it a shot. Usually I have no problem at all dropping 8 pounds the first week. It's sticking with induction for more than 2 weeks that I'm finding challenging. Sorry about the life story - hope to see you on the boards !
MetalliCHAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #656
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wizofproz
Stats: 262.6/262.6/145
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: Tuesday, October 15th
Well Hello There...

Hey y'all. I have been trying to lose weight for ten years, low carb dieting off and on since 2010. I came to this WOE by way of Paleo, having dismissed Atkins out of hand because popular opinion was so against it :-P. I read Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet, Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint, Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories, and a whole host of low carb diet blogs and message boards. I eventually came around to the idea that low carb, minimally processed foods are what I needed to eat to lose weight, or at least stop gaining it.

I learned on Weight Watchers years ago that counting fills me with anxiety and gives me a stick to beat myself with (metaphorically speaking). So I stopped counting what I ate and put the shame stick down. For almost a week now I'm just eating reasonable portions of foods I know to be low carb, including lots of meat, veggies, nuts, and (possibly too much) cheese. My promise to myself is that as long as I stay on plan and lose weight, I don't have to count carbs. I'm much more about the journey than I am about the destination, now that I've had so many starts and stops and gained and lost so much weight. Taking it slow and steady here, and learning from my mistakes instead of interpreting them as failure.

I post to my weight loss blog thread here nearly every day, feel free to subscribe! I'd love to read yours, too. We're all in this together and it helps so much to be able to talk with people who understand.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...hronicles.html
Wizofproz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #657
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBliss
Stats: 215/215/145
Start Date: 9/01/14
Hello I'm a newbie here (um, obviously) and I thought I'd say 'hi!' I am starting week four today of Adkins, and saw references to this site on Sugar Free Sheila's site. I love the way I feel, and my clothes are fitting better, but I have only lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks, and most of that was in the first two weeks. I have been following Atkins strictly with one exception: I drink several (3 or 4) cups of coffee (I allow myself 6 splenda packets and 3 to 4 tbsp of cream) most days. I suppose I am metabolically resistant, but I'm having a terrible time letting go of the extra coffee, or with switching to decaf. Anyone here have good suggestions for releasing those last vestiges of 'comfort'?

I have been solidly in ketosis since the third day, so I've been telling myself it is OK, but I know that even though I do a moderate amount of exercise (daily yoga and belly dance, plus two or three stringent hikes per week, plus nearly daily archery) I cannot be building enough muscle to counter the weight loss. I even thought it might be water retention, but as the days slip by, I am coming to terms with the fact that I need to shift something, and it seems like my options are limited to eliminating coffee, trying the fat fast (NOOO!!!) and/or learning something useful here!
MissBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #658
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbie83
Stats: 266/251.6/180
WOE: Low Carb/Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: 2/19/2014
Hey everyone! I actually joined this site as a lurker 2 years ago, and I'm just now coming out of my shell to introduce myself.

I've always struggled with my weight, since I was 10. I inherited my love of carbs and my emotional eating habits from my mother, who now struggles with diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I recently turned 30 and dodged a melanoma scare so now, more than ever, my health is of upmost priority! I've been given far too many years to play around and let my weight yo yo and eat poorly. If I don't turn it around now, all those years of poor eating are bound to catch up with me.

I re-started Atkins induction yesterday. I've done it several times before but always fell off the wagon before moving to OWL (which is probably how it goes for most folks). This time, i'm committing to gong through allllll phases of Atkins to reset my cravings for processed carbs and finally arrive at a moderately-low carb way of eating that i can sustain for life.

I'm very excited about this journey and i love all the tips and motivation I find here!

Is it ok to plug my blog? It's called Love Leigh Me, and I'm striving to post daily to keep myself accountable. Love, Leigh

I'm starting at 270, and hoping to lose 90-100 pounds to achieve a health(ier) BMI
Barbie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #659

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
many here still drink their coffee. Maybe just try cutting back half a cup at a time.

There is another option... giving your existing plan more time. Whatever you chose to do, it should be something you can live with long-term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBliss View Post
Hello I'm a newbie here (um, obviously) and I thought I'd say 'hi!' I am starting week four today of Adkins, and saw references to this site on Sugar Free Sheila's site. I love the way I feel, and my clothes are fitting better, but I have only lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks, and most of that was in the first two weeks. I have been following Atkins strictly with one exception: I drink several (3 or 4) cups of coffee (I allow myself 6 splenda packets and 3 to 4 tbsp of cream) most days. I suppose I am metabolically resistant, but I'm having a terrible time letting go of the extra coffee, or with switching to decaf. Anyone here have good suggestions for releasing those last vestiges of 'comfort'?

I have been solidly in ketosis since the third day, so I've been telling myself it is OK, but I know that even though I do a moderate amount of exercise (daily yoga and belly dance, plus two or three stringent hikes per week, plus nearly daily archery) I cannot be building enough muscle to counter the weight loss. I even thought it might be water retention, but as the days slip by, I am coming to terms with the fact that I need to shift something, and it seems like my options are limited to eliminating coffee, trying the fat fast (NOOO!!!) and/or learning something useful here!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #660
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TXChik
10/22 ... and new!

hi ... just started yesterday but I think I made an error. I had butternut squash. Not sure if its permitted on the induction. So I just decided since I was 2 lbs up from yesterday that I would just start again.

Find it odd that I was up 2 lbs just bc of that but would welcome any insight, tips, etc.

Thanks all!
TXChik is offline   Reply With Quote