Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #601

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/155 169.4 VFT!
WOE: Weight loss surgery (VSG) + Low Carb + Exercise
Start Date: 1998; Restart May 2007 @355; WLS March 2010
Welcome, Beeg. 5lb in the first two weeks is not so bad... maybe you were not retaining much water... that is what the first two weeks mostly is anyway, a big drop in water weight. Hang in there. Also, if every time you go off the pill you gain, you might want to ask your doctor about PCOS and other potential hormonal issues.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #602
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetTreat
WOE: Lower Carb
Well hello. Hello! I'm new here, I was googling the term "low carb diet and constipation" and it brought me here. lol I've been "at it" since Sept 2 and still "learning the ropes". I don't follow any plan/method but being diabetic and a cancer patient I know that carbs are NOT my friend. And so I decided to go low carb. I have tons of questions due to the fact that relatives don't think I'm eating enough. Not even close But because I'm not pigging out and eating hundreds of carbs a day they think I'm under eating. Anyways, I'm going to poke around here and see what you all have to say about things.
SweetTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #603
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetTreat
WOE: Lower Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnsal View Post
Hi all, I found this site through online searches for LC recipes, as I'm sure many people have. A year ago I was diagnosed with a brain tumour and am on a "watchful waiting" "treatment" regimen. That means MRI scans every six months and a whole new approach to life. As a health researcher, once I stopped spinning from the news (that took about six mos!), I dug into reading and came upon a low carb, high fat diet as an approach that has shown promise in limiting cancer cell growth, particularly brain cancer. So here I am. I have never struggled with weight, but did find it interesting that after I deprogrammed my "low fat, wholegrains" nutrition approach, I lost over 10 lbs, 5% body fat, and increased my muscle % by 4%. Eating meat, cream, cheese, and veg! I wouldn't have believed that, but to be clear, I'm here because I'm waging a very targeted war on a tumour that will never really go away; even after treatment, it is likely to always return. So I'm entrenching, so to speak! Happy to meet you all and soak up some advice and LC eating tips!
Wow. Can I say wow? I was diagnosed with a brain tumour in Sept 2010 and had a partial removal in Oct 2010. Unfortunately the biopsy came back as cancerous but my Oncology team put m into Observation rather than Chemo and Radiation. I know exactly what you're going through. And I know the desire to want to read, learn, and make yourself the healthiest you can be. Good luck with your treatment course and with your desire to learn and live healthy.
SweetTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #604
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /171 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
To: Maryposa
OMG, first let me say CONGRATS for your major milestone. Your accomplishments are incredible. I can't image what you've been thru to get to where you are. You certainly are inspiration for me and I'm sure others too. Again, kuddos to you my dear.
Your right, maybe not too much initial water weight to lose. I haven't drank water in 30 yrs but I'm forcing down 2 litres (quart and a half) per day. My meals seem to be running right thru me so I don't know if that's normal or not?? I will just take a deep breath and try to stop obsessing about the scale. Thanks for the support.

Last edited by Bonny-Jean; 09-28-2013 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: did something wrong??
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #605
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ventnor1
Hi;
This is my first post. I have been working with doctors, nutrtionists who kept telling me that the way to get my blood sugar under control was to eat 130 grams of carbs or I would make myself sick! The problem is that THEY made me sick and I started reading everything I could to help with my diabetes. First came the wheat belly book which made so much sense but again too many carbs, then I tried Low carb Mediterranean Diet ala Steve Parker which worked but could not find enough recipes to make it work. Then I found Low Carbing Among Friends and now I am home. It took way too long but I am here and I am cooking up a storm. My BS is on the decline--yes, that's a big thing and I have lost around 7 pounds. I keep getting stricter and that's when I lose. It's not easy but to see my BS lowered is wonderful. I am 68 years young and I don't want to stay at my weight with diabetes!! I need to lose 40 to 50 pounds and it sounds so ominous!! Sorry, I keep going but it's been a long and frustrating journey! Thank you for this website and for the wonderful recipes in Among Friends. God Bless.
ventnor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #606
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nicko104
Stats: 247/202/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 4, 2013
Hi ... just joining and trying to figure my way around. Pretty excited to see all the folks LCing. Been fighting my weight for 12+ yrs, tried other diets (WW) but always gained back. Today I am down 45 lbs since March 4 .. when my entire department at work began a 90 day challenge that has since turned into 180+ days, ongoing, with weight loss continuing. My boss has been a great coach (doc) who encourages LC, but also reminding me that LCing isn't an excuse to eat high fat. So I focus on lean meat, lots of fresh veggies, berries and melons, nuts, legumes. Things are slowing down some, but I can honestly say oops, snuck that in. Trying to get back on track and get the last 40 off. Thanks for all the encouragement!
nicko104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #607

Thanks for the kind words, Bonnie-Jean,

Welcome ventnor1 and nicko104!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #608
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: debrawallin

Hi, I'm Debra and new to this forum. I am 57 and having the toughest time with getting some menopausal weight off. Started studying and experimenting and I have found that I feel my best when I low carb, I think I've picked up some wheat intolerance in my more mature years. So I've been printing off recipes like crazy and incorporating the low carb lifestyle. Nice to met everyone.
debrawallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #609
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chadwick
Stats: No Idea/545/300
Start Date: Aug 2013
Howdy

My name is Chadwick. I am 42 years old. Always been a "Big" guy. I have no idea what my weight was when I started induction in August since the scale only goes to 550. As of Monday I am down to 542 pounds. I am staying on induction as long as possible to get as much weight off as possible. Any advice you guys can give would be great since its getting old having the same things over and over. I did Atkins about 15 years ago and it didn't seem as hard back them to drop the weight. Anyways look forward to hearing from you all.

God Bless.
Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #610
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Hello, Debra and Chadwick, Welcome to the forums. You'll meet a lot of really nice people on here that can really help you out.
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #611
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I have been here before, but am back. I used to just be a creeper, looking at everybody's stuff and occasionally commenting. I didn't take full advantage of the support system available. I have been low carbing for 20 days now, and feel amazing. I started journaling. I am asking questions and finding new recipes. I might even take advantage of netrition, which I never did before. Made my first oopsie rolls this morning to have for lunch. Not too bad. I am excited to get support and to finish this journey of weightloss and move onto weight maintenance.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #612
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HalandTammy
Hello!

My wife bought and read the Trim Healthy Mama book. I know its early to be too excited, but I have lost 16 lbs & my wife 9 lbs (in 15 days). I have much more energy, my blood pressure has already improved, and I don't have the constant cravings for junk that I had before. The forum on their website and their face book page have both been VERY helpful sources of information. I was VERY skeptical when my wife began talking about it (low carb/low sugar-ughhh); at 53 yrs old, I have more energy and self-control (diet-wise) than I've had in quite a while...and I'm not constantly hungry!
I realize there are many, many other good resources out there also, but this book has really helped us (so far). I'm looking forward to incorporating many of the good ideas I'm reading on this site. Thank-you!
HalandTammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #613
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Introduction to a Newbie

This is my first post here. I was told by my doctor today that I needed to lose 50 to 70 lbs and eliminate all carbs from diet. I am currently 200lbs at 5'7. Three years ago I weighed around 130. Yes, I have many health problems and currently take meds that have made me gain so much weight.

I started my internet search this morning and quickly found out there is no way to eliminate carbs because even spices have carbs. But, I can reduce them down to a minimum. Up until now, every meal had potatoes, pasta, or rice. So I guess I have been on a high carb diet. This will be a learning experience for me and my family who whether they like it or not will be joining me on this new diet as I am the household cook...lol.

I don't think we will have much difficulty going to a low carb diet after looking through a lot of the recipes. I know my family will still want their mashed potatoes, and cheesy bread. So, I will have to make myself a substitute item for those days. But my end goal will be to get us all completely onto a low carb diet. I found an Excel weekly meal planner online that allows you to enter your meals and ingredients and it prepares a shopping list for you. I have already set up the next week's meals for us and will go shopping this evening or tomorrow.

My biggest loss is going to be my sodas! I am a Pepsi drinker to the core and drink about four to six sodas a day. I don't mind drinking water too but I have to have caffeine or I get severe migraines. So I am sure that will be the last thing to go. And no I can't substitute with tea as I have some kind of allergy to tea product which causes me to get frequent uti's. I will work through this all I am sure. I am still learning about all the diet options and have a lot to learn. I have read several posts about induction to start out. I don't understand what that means really.

Anyways, glad to be here and I will post with more questions and my progress as I start to hopefully lose the weight.

Last edited by mjgh06; 10-04-2013 at 12:37 PM..
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #614

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
This is my first post here. I was told by my doctor today that I needed to lose 50 to 70 lbs and eliminate all carbs from diet. I am currently 200lbs at 5'7. Three years ago I weighed around 130. Yes, I have many health problems and currently take meds that have made me gain so much weight.

I started my internet search this morning and quickly found out there is no way to eliminate carbs because even spices have carbs. But, I can reduce them down to a minimum. Up until now, every meal had potatoes, pasta, or rice. So I guess I have been on a high carb diet. This will be a learning experience for me and my family who whether they like it or not will be joining me on this new diet as I am the household cook...lol.

I don't think we will have much difficulty going to a low carb diet after looking through a lot of the recipes. I know my family will still want their mashed potatoes, and cheesy bread. So, I will have to make myself a substitute item for those days. But my end goal will be to get us all completely onto a low carb diet. I found an Excel weekly meal planner online that allows you to enter your meals and ingredients and it prepares a shopping list for you. I have already set up the next week's meals for us and will go shopping this evening or tomorrow.

My biggest loss is going to be my sodas! I am a Pepsi drinker to the core and drink about four to six sodas a day. I don't mind drinking water too but I have to have caffeine or I get severe migraines. So I am sure that will be the last thing to go. And no I can't substitute with tea as I have some kind of allergy to tea product which causes me to get frequent uti's. I will work through this all I am sure. I am still learning about all the diet options and have a lot to learn. I have read several posts about induction to start out. I don't understand what that means really.

Anyways, glad to be here and I will post with more questions and my progress as I start to hopefully lose the weight.
If you are choosing Atkins Induction to start, I recommend that you buy Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution or pick it up from the library. There's newer Atkins books out, but I believe most here are sticking to DANDR. Personally, I also feel it explains the "science" behind the diet much better than the newer book(s). Just a suggestion....
Old 10-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #615
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
If you are choosing Atkins Induction to start, I recommend that you buy Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution or pick it up from the library. There's newer Atkins books out, but I believe most here are sticking to DANDR. Personally, I also feel it explains the "science" behind the diet much better than the newer book(s). Just a suggestion....
Thanks for the welcome. I haven't read any of Atkins books as of yet. I do know there are different versions of the Atkins diet. I have been studying the Atkins site "Low Carb Diet Program and Weight Loss Plan". I will be starting the Induction phase tomorrow, and have posted a question about it under that forum. Are the books different or better than the website?

Last edited by mjgh06; 10-04-2013 at 06:45 PM..
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #616

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I haven't read any of Atkins books as of yet. I do know there are different versions of the Atkins diet. I have been studying the Atkins site "Low Carb Diet Program and Weight Loss Plan". I will be starting the Induction phase tomorrow, and have posted a question about it under that forum. Are the books different or better than the website?
I honestly don't know, as I haven't spent much time on the website. You will get allot of feedback and opinions here; it is wonderful but can be a bit overwhelming if you don't have some basis for your plan already set. Sounds like you have chosen the Atkins site as your reference source and that should work just fine!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #617
ELL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ELL
Stats: 160.5|142.2|56.6kg
WOE: >20 carbs
Start Date: 10.5.13
Hi everyone! I have been a lurker for many years. I am 37 and changing my eating from fast, easy, inexpensive and low nutrition to quality God given food. What I have eaten in he past to ballon up to 350 lbs does not even qualify as food. I work nights 4 days a week and have always used the excuse that I am tired to not cook or even think about food. I just buy something fast and shovel it in. Anyways, I thought why not register this time make some friends. I just started today so I will post my progress somewhere in the forums if anyone cares to find me. I'm ELL. Thanks and God Bless.
ELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #618
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Not new but starting afresh....

After deciding about six months ago to not diet in any way, and rather be a mindful and intuitive eater, I am back with my tail between my legs. I deserve to be healthier and "intuitive" eating is not working. I have come a long way to accepting myself no matter what my size - so for that reason the hiatus was a good thing.

I mean business, and therefore started a journal... link below.

Good luck and wonderful health to us all!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #619
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ShrinkingAmber
Stats: 229/225/145
Start Date: December 2013
Hey everyone
I'm Amber. I'm 34 and have started Atkins induction at the end of last month. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in 01 and didn't pay any attention to my doctors warnings etc. Ne ver had any symptoms til recently. Everyone wanted to put me on a low calorie diet and I tried them all with no luck. I had even tried Atkins back in the early 2000's and did it totally wrong because I didn't read the book lol.

So now I am doing things right. I'm already getting my blood sugar to normal range, feeling good and losing weight after a little over a week. I'm happy to say I will be able to continue this for the rest of my life.
ShrinkingAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #620
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Swinters
Stats: 162/134/125
New to low carb

Hello everyone! My name is Sarah and I just started a keto diet a week ago. I'm really excited to shed off some pounds and get to a more comfortable weight. I've been in ketosis for 5 days and finally over the "low carb flu" thank God. I've been targeting to stay under 50 carbs a day but have been unintentionally quite lower, around 20-30. None of my friends or family are into low carb so I thought I would sign up so I can get ideas and support.
Swinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #621
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DaveT261

Hi my name is Dave and I am new to this forum. I am 56 years old, smoked for many years but quit, now I am putting on pounds because I substituted food for cigs and ended up at 266 pounds. The only place I have any excess weight is my belly, I look like I am pregnant. My stomach is so hard I am sure you can bounce quarters off it and I've heard this is the hardest type of fat to lose. I started eating no carbs last Sunday and so far I'm @ 255. I am hoping to learn about dieting no/low carbs, right now I can't really say I am following any one type of diet, I guess I am just flying by the seat of my pants.
DaveT261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #622
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christy72
Stats: 146/135/125
WOE: Medi weightloss
Start Date: September 19,2013
Hi ,I posted on another page. I am doing the medi weightloss. In my third week and have lost 11lbs so far. Hoping to continue. I'm tired of not looking good in my clothes. I'm short, nothing fits right. But I will get there I am determined. Will be glad for support and encouragement from everyone.As well as I will give it. We can do this! Thanks you for this site. I love it.
christy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #623
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hsmjlkelly
Stats: 153/144.5/110
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: Oct.2013
Hi, I'm Marie and I'm a carb addict. About 20 years ago I did the Carb Addicts Diet from the book written by the Hellers. I lost 15-25lbs and I kept it off for 6-7 years. I quit smoking and was having stomach trouble with the diet so I figured I would take a year of to worry about the quit smoking then go back on it. Well, I got preggo and used yogurt to straighten my stomach out but tried other diets like WW and counting calories. I tried Adkins once and could not get through 5 days! Well 12 years later and failed dieting I'm ready to go back to the Heller's way of eating. I now weigh 153 and I'm 5'0 I have been back on the CAD for about a week and I feel ssooo much better! What took me so long!!

I'm glad and so thankful for this website to have support with other people who can relate to LC and recipes for variety.
hsmjlkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #624
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vinny
Hey everyone, Im Vinny. Ive been an on and off dieter for years, since I was 17 (am now 25) Always been bigger, but in the last 8 years Ive went up from around 200 to near 250 at my heaviest. But usually hovering around 225-235, with a weight this morning of 237.4

Just started a low carb diet, again... and hoping this being day 2 im hoping that being involved in a supportive, low carb community I can stick to it this time.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #625
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jkay4121

Hello everyone,
New to posting, but not to reading! Please excuse my lack of punctuation, grammer..ect. HOWEVER, I am a stay at home mother of A 4 month old and 4 year old! This is my second time around doing low carb. I had one carb up here about 2 days ago and i am trying to reach ketosis again. Im not hungary but I feel very very sluggish... how much longer will this last!! I remember very distinctly when i reached ketosis the last time. Do i just wait it out? I have lots of experiance with keto dieting so i hope to have some interesting posts! also, i am a breastfeeding mom!!!
jkay4121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #626
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NIKNAKPATTYMAC
Stats: 218/170/152
Start Date: Fall 2001
Hi Guys. Finally found what I've been looking for. Been reading some of the posts for a little while now, as a non-member, and had to jump on board. I'm excited that a wonderful place like this exists. I have so much gratitude and appreciation for the support and efforts of the admin and members. Thanks. Patty

forgive me, but I just gotta insert one of these cute little smiley faces...
NIKNAKPATTYMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #627
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: noncarb1
Stats: 220
WOE: Ian Solley low carb beat candida diet.
Start Date: oct 13
Hi not sure if this is the correct place to post my introduction but I can't find a new thread Icon. I am having to go on no carb no sugar no yeast diet as it is suspected that I have an overgrowth of Candida Albicans in my gut which has caused me to have underlying health problems for around 25 years. I had Epstein Barr virus when i was in my mid teens and have had episodes of it all of my life since. I have also been diagnosed with Post Viral Fatique Syndrome and an aquaintance asked whether i had Candida or not. Well, the Medical profession in the uk have told me to go away and rest for the last ten years which i have found unacceptable and have taken things into my own hands and looked up about Candida on the net and found a british chap called Ian Solley bsc who had exactly the same thing. he listed his symptoms and i was able to identify with every one of them. So here goes with the very low Carb Low Sugar no Yeast diet which i will have to follow for the next few months in order to kill the overgrowth of Candida in the gut. He has also recommended Chelation (Heavy Metal Detox) which sounds really scary and i hope to be able to find a cheaper more gentle way to do this. any suggestions for either \detox regime would be more than gratefully recieved. I am having to rethink my whole food intake so would no doubt benefit from a little more guidance. I would really like to make some friends along the way. Good luck all of you who have or are embarking on a similar regime. Be healthy!
noncarb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #628
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody1958
Hi, I did low carb in 1999, lost down to 150. Crept up to 217. In 2003, I had a gastric bypass in Mexico. It has actually worked pretty well, until January of 2013 I got off of a pain medication. Since then my appetite has been more and on Oct 1 I weighed 172. I started low carb that day and I have already lost 6 pounds. (Probably a lot is water, but still encouraging. I am excited to try low carb again because it worked for me before. I want to do induction, but I am probably not being strict enough. I am 5 foot 5, 55 years old, married for 32 years, and a mother of four children. (Two grown, two in college.) I work as an Occupational Therapist in a nursing home/short term rehab.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody1958 View Post
Hi, I did low carb in 1999, lost down to 150. Crept up to 217. In 2003, I had a gastric bypass in Mexico. It has actually worked pretty well, until January of 2013 I got off of a pain medication. Since then my appetite has been more and on Oct 1 I weighed 172. I started low carb that day and I have already lost 6 pounds. (Probably a lot is water, but still encouraging. I am excited to try low carb again because it worked for me before. I want to do induction, but I am probably not being strict enough. I am 5 foot 5, 55 years old, married for 32 years, and a mother of four children. (Two grown, two in college.) I work as an Occupational Therapist in a nursing home/short term rehab.
I wanted to let you know that we have a Weight Loss Surgery board https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/. Some of us are "newly" post-op but some of us are farther out. I had a VSG in March 2010. I'd love to see you post there
Old 10-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #630

Quote:
Originally Posted by noncarb1 View Post
Hi not sure if this is the correct place to post my introduction but I can't find a new thread Icon.
This is a great place to post your intro! That is what this thread is for

For future reference, the new thread button looks like this (see attached). I hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newthread.JPG (13.5 KB, 3 views)