LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #571
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: finnsal
Stats: 121/107/NA
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 2013
Saying Hi

Hi all, I found this site through online searches for LC recipes, as I'm sure many people have. A year ago I was diagnosed with a brain tumour and am on a "watchful waiting" "treatment" regimen. That means MRI scans every six months and a whole new approach to life. As a health researcher, once I stopped spinning from the news (that took about six mos!), I dug into reading and came upon a low carb, high fat diet as an approach that has shown promise in limiting cancer cell growth, particularly brain cancer. So here I am. I have never struggled with weight, but did find it interesting that after I deprogrammed my "low fat, wholegrains" nutrition approach, I lost over 10 lbs, 5% body fat, and increased my muscle % by 4%. Eating meat, cream, cheese, and veg! I wouldn't have believed that, but to be clear, I'm here because I'm waging a very targeted war on a tumour that will never really go away; even after treatment, it is likely to always return. So I'm entrenching, so to speak! Happy to meet you all and soak up some advice and LC eating tips!
finnsal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Hi, finnsal, and welcome. I hope this diet approach will help you in your battle against the ugly brain tumor. Is it anything like the one Valerie Harper is/was dealing with?
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #573
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wncsohn
An Intro to "us"

I say "to us" but to be certain I'm the only one that will be posting here. LOL Hubby isn't into message boards in general.

On April 4, 2013 DH had to go in for a triple bypass. One of the things we KNOW needs to happen is weight loss. We both need that!

We've attempted low carb before but (while initially successful) it didn't last. You see ... we are truck drivers and usually drive team. Driving a team truck means (for us anyway) that when we stop for fuel (usually when switching drivers), one fuels the truck while the other goes in to grab a quick bite to eat, some coffee and the bathroom! Not necessarily in that order! LOL

Anyway, it's hard to eat a salad when you're driving a semi-truck. Much easier to munch on a burger & fries, a piece of fried chicken, a subway sandwich, etc. (that etc. includes muffins, doughnuts and other not so healthy thing!) On rare occasions we would actually "stop" at a truck stop that had a sit down restraunt long enough to eat a half-way decent meal.

Well, we've been attempting to change our lifestyle for a couple of years now and without getting to deep into it, before he even found out he needed surgery we decided that I would stay home until the "Christmas Season" in attempt to further our goals. We have chickens, rabbits & a garden in an attempt to produce our own healthier foods.

He's back in the truck, since the end of July, and we are still struggling financially AND with the weight. I do the whole canning thing, which got me to thinking. If I can make up some decent homemade meals and CAN them he/we will have something much healthier to eat on the road. Problem is, you can't CAN a salad! LOL So I've spent the past month looking at receipes and ideas for meals that I can put into a canning jar.

I'll be going out on the truck with him around the end of November for us to run team on the UPS account, hauling trailer loads of Christmas goodies across the U.S. for a month. So I've got to get enough "basic" stuff prepped for us so we can "heat and eat" in the truck during that time.

We've also installed a refrigerator/freezer in the truck, but as of yet haven't installed an inverter for a power source. Working on that still. I figure we can carry stuff like cheese, eggs, cream, etc. along with some frozen veggies in it (and maybe a few LC desserts!!) to help us out. I know from past experience that we'll have times during that month when we have a night or two off so that will give us ample time to restock anything we run low on.

I've already cut the "white stuff" from my diet (except a bit of sugar in my morning coffee) and have been eating lower-carb meals (without really trying) since those are what I've been canning and in two days I've already lost a little tiny bit of weight. Let's just say I haven't seen the scale below 230 in years and the past couple days it's been below that. But I won't get excited yet! LOL We'll see what happens over the next month!

Anyway, just a little intro on what we're "attempting" to accomplish over the next few months!

Walt & Carol
wncsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Walt and Carol, welcome to the board. Hopefully things will work out for you both.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #575
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: techgirl
Stats: 235/216/155
WOE: Atkins, Gluten Free
Start Date: February 2013
One More Time

I had great success with Atkins in 2001 (lost 60 pounds) and kept it off for several years. I am a stress eater and had A LOT of stress in my life and let myself gain 80 pounds. I'm trying to get a handle on my stress responses and I am back on Atkins to lose weight again. I can't wait to get back into the jeans I've been saving and to just feel better. Looking forward to sharing ideas, recipes, and encouragement.
techgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #576
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 120/?/?
Start Date: 9/14/13
New to the board also. My name is Tiffany, I am 42 and have three small kids. Emily is 9, Isaac is 6 and Ellie is 8 months old.

Started trying to eat healthier today, not exactly low carb, but, not junk food.

My goal is to feel better and gain more energy. God knows I need the energy with three kids. lol
Preachersdaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #577
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Photofan
Stats: 249/242/150
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 09/07/13
New Here

Howdy!!
I am new here. Started low carb/Atkins last week. I want to make this my lifestyle, not just a diet. Carbs taste fantastic, but they make me bloated, tired, and fat. I look forward to all the support offered on this site!

jackie
Photofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome to the board techgirl, Tiffany, and Jackie. I hope you enjoy yourselves here and get lots of help on diet and/or lifestyle journey.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #579
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Photofan
Stats: 249/242/150
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 09/07/13
Thank you TooSweet! just trying to figure out this site....so much info! I am down a few pounds so far, so YAY!
Photofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:52 AM   #580
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaycey
Stats: 203/188/148
WOE: The 'Jaycey' Diet!
Start Date: 1 September 2013
Hi, I'm Jaycey, from the UK - currently trying out my own version of low carb (cobbled together from Atkins, Protein Power and similar ones I've looked at) - all going pretty well but slowish. I think some of this is because I'm eating too much because the food is so nice. (I LOVE salmon and last night I found myself poaching two pieces instead of one - which was SO naughty - and then I felt really full & uncomfortable afterwards, oops!)

Four years ago I lost three stone on the Cambridge Diet, the only real weightloss I've ever had - but it made my hair fall out so I had to stop! Then I broke my ankle badly, and put FOUR stone back on while I was laid up in bed for months. Then all I did was make sure I didn't get any bigger, but didn't diet as my life got so busy and mental at that time. I've now got a chance to sort myself out, and I decided that low carb looked much the best of all the diets I've tried (and I've tried a few!) - it just seems to make so much sense. It's a bittersweet experience - I KNOW I can lose weight (because I've done it once already) so that's good - but the extra weight has given me a bigger mountain to climb, so that's harder.

The best thing about this diet for me so far is the wheat-free element - I've long suspected that wheat hates me, and this has proved it. Even though I've lost hardly any weight so far, everyone is saying that I look better and slimmer - because my bloat has disappeared! Even my face looks slimmer (even my mum noticed, and she's partially blind!). This is VERY encouraging!

So here's hi to everyone, and anyone from the UK if they're looking in. I love the recipes here by the way - I had no idea low carb was so adaptable, and I've already had fun with flaxbreads and cheese sauces.
Jaycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Gary Taubes book fascinated me and the interest he sparked eventually led me to this site. After lurking about for a while and learning a lot from all the wonderful contributors here, I took the plunge and registered, hoping to continue learning.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #582
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lizz y
Stats: 164/158/120
WOE: atkins
Start Date: september 13/ 2013
Hell YEAH I can!

hi everyone,
I have 40 pounds to lose. I will do it this time. I will not quit. I will make time to make some of these yummy recipes. I will utilize this awesome site to remind myself that I am not alone.
lizz y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #583
Major LCF Poster!

Hello, lola and lizzy. So glad to see more new people willing to try this way of life. There are so many people on here who will be willing and are able to help you meet your goals.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #584
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
Hi All, I'm a Newbie to this Forum but am a frequent poster on the Atkins Forum. I started Atkins on 17/06/'13 at 199lb and I'm at 168lb to date with a goal weight of 147lb for my 5'5" height. I'm 53 and suffering from surgical menopause.
I started Atkins because I had great success about 10+ years ago, but as so many others, I fell off the low carb wagon....
I've been reading loads of stuff about NK and right now I'm undecided whether to just carry on with Atkins per se, ie move through the Phases or to really try going the NK way???
Part of me thinks, well I've been doing great on A. so far and it suits me. Any advise / experiences would be greatly appreciated, especially from those of you who have either combined the two or have 'switched lane'.
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #585
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Checkoutchick, and welcome to the forums. I don't know anything about NK, so I can't help you there. I'm sure you'll be able to find some people to help you out. I know the recipe forums have lots of good recipes but not sure if there are any for NK or not. Hope you enjoy your time here.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #586
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kenthepainter
CONTEMPLATING

My name is Ken I'm thinking of starting a low carb diet. I've tried it before but not for long. Any advice is appreciated, I'm looking for a basic list of foods and an outline to planning menus. I have to brown bag my lunches so that is a challenge for me. I weigh 242 and would like to get to 200. I have yo-yo dieted since I was a sophomore in high school. When my weight is up I have bad heartburn and become depressed.
kenthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #587
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rachel
Stats: 207/207/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart Sept 22, 2013
Hello Everybody
I fell off for a while but I am back ready to start at the bottom and work the program. I do not remember much, but I am rededicating myself to the process to learn what I need to, to make this change. Any and I mean any advice would be greatly appreciated. Induction begins Sunday Sept 22, 2013
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #588
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: manderz03
Stats: 309/301/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 09/16/13
Hey everyone! I am Amanda - wife and stepmom of two. :-) My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for just over two years now. Doctor says I need to lose weight before he'd prescribe anything, but I really don't want to go the drug route. So, here I am.. counting carbs. I started on Monday and it's Friday and I'm down 8.9 lbs - no complaints!

I eat two eggs for breakfast, a LC wrap with turkey and laughing cow cheese & cheese stick for lunch, meat and veggies for dinner, sugar-free jello with whipped cream for dessert and veggies to snack on throughout the day. So far, I'm staying full and losing weight!

Can't wait to read more about everyone and see what this site has to offer.
manderz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #589
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Rachel and Amanda. So good to see both old members come back and new members find their way here.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #590
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: orchidgirl
Stats: 163/152/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2013
Hello Everyone!

I am excited to meet you all and looking forward to sharing! Hope you all have a good night!
orchidgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #591
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jessicaelaine82
New to the low carb life

Hi everyone, I am new to the whole low carb lifestyle. I currently weigh 375 pounds. I was at 399 but in the last 4 months I managed to work my way down to 375. Of course I have a long ways to go until I am healthy. I am hoping that going low carb will be the way to get to the place I need to be weight wise. So anyone with any tips or pointers please feel free to pass all knowledge to me that you have.
jessicaelaine82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #592
Major LCF Poster!

Hello orchidgirl and jessicaelaine. It's nice to meet you both.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #593
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CalebsMommy
Stats: 269/246/199 5'11"
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 4/2/2014
Hi everyone! I am just starting this low carb journey! I've just had a baby (he's one month old!) and am breastfeeding, so I'm going to do a little higher carb count than I normally would, but I just need to find a level that doesn't decrease my supply. I'm already 2 pounds lighter than what I was pre-prego weight. I gained 26 with my pregnancy, but let me tell you - things do not look pretty lol! And before baby, I was already very overweight with about 80 lbs to lose, so being at my pre-prego weight really isn't much, but it's a starting point I look forward to meeting and supporting everyone!
CalebsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #594
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: neeves
Start Date: September 4 2013
Hello.

My name is Belle, and I'm 18, 152 pounds, and 5'1. I'm here looking for advice, tips, and support.

I previously lost 26 pounds on a high-carb (120+ grams) diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, etc in about 4 months. As much as I love fruit, I have soo much more energy eating low-carb. I'm not sluggish and fatigued like I was before, and I feel great and motivated to lose the last 30 pounds I have left. I'm excited and looking forward to the rest of this journey to a healthy new me!
neeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #595
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Crookshanks
4 weeks in!

Figured I should introduce myself since I am on here every day but never post or reply. I am on week 4 of Atkins (sticking with induction for the first 20 pounds) I have had a relatively easy time and I am down 13 pounds. 13 REAL pounds I might add. Usually when I diet I will lose weight but it's not noticeable and just comes right back. These pounds are legit and I am already down 2 pant sizes. Thank God!

I did want to add that I weigh myself everyday (I know, I know) and after about 8 days I will hit a stall so I have a cheat meal. This seems to be working really well for me and I thought i'd share it in case anyone else was having the same experience.

Thanks!!!
Crookshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #596
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: angel baby
Stats: start 228/ current 221/goal 170
WOE: atkins
Start Date: August 2013
Hi! I am new here and would love some support. I am the only one in my household eating low carb. I dont find it difficult but my husband finds it frusterating. Dont get me wrong, he is way supportive but it frusterates him that I cant have carbs and he loves them , he doesnt want to eat them infront of me! I tell him its ok and doesnt bother me but he is still having a rough time. i am losing very slowly, a pound of two every two weeks but looking at some of the face boards, it has taken most people 1-2 years to lose their weight. I know it is better to lose slow and change your lifestyle than to lose quick and gain it all back!
angel baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #597
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: locarbcat
Stats: 355/268/196
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: 18/04/2013
Hi everyone.
I've lost 77lbs since April 18th, and feel more motivated by my new low carb way of life than I have by anything before. A relevation last week was that I can now go on the swings in the playground with my son! I'm looking forward to getting to goal and hopefully meeting and chatting to some of you along the way.

Cat x
locarbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #598
Major LCF Poster!

Hello, Cat. Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends here. And the recipe section is just wonderful.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #599
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Confused Newbie

Hi from Manitoba, Canada. Before starting Atkins I'd say my diet was 80% carbs and 20 protein. Yes, I loved my carbs, not the healthy ones, of course. I've been on Atkins for 2 wks and only down 5 lbs. WHAT?? I went on the induction 10 yrs ago and lost 10 in the first week and I was only 50 lbs over. Now I'm 85 lbs overweight and the scale isn't moving. WTH?? I swear to God I've been following the book religiously. I've drank more water in the last 2 wks than in the last 5 years. I eat 3 times a day, only protein. I've started having a tiny salad, only greens with a tsp of Ranch. I don't understand what the heck I'm doing wrong. I haven't purchased Keto Stix cause it sounds like they're not really reliable. I'm 5'4" and 215 lbs. and 53 yrs old. I'm pretty sure at 80+ over I should be losing more than this in 2 wks, don't you?? I will be exercising starting Monday but I didn't have to do a lick of that years ago. I understand about being patient but I really feel like my results are strangely low. Oddly enough, every time I go off 'the pill", I gain weight until I go back on and then it stabilizes. My hormones have been checked and they're all in balance so I'm dumb founded! Any ideas folks??
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #600

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Welcome, Beeg. 5lb in the first two weeks is not so bad... maybe you were not retaining much water... that is what the first two weeks mostly is anyway, a big drop in water weight. Hang in there. Also, if every time you go off the pill you gain, you might want to ask your doctor about PCOS and other potential hormonal issues.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote