Old 08-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cookie57
Stats: 212.2/202/190
WOE: WW
Start Date: 6-12-14
Anyone on The Cheat To Lose Diet?

Hello All
Now this is what I've been looking for! Have been a member for some time but starting new now. Helped me last time, should have stayed around.

I am the grandma of this bunch--73. I was thin till after the pregnancies as I kept some weight each time. BUT I'm now 73 and can't use that as a excuse anymore!

This past year, I have been counting calories. Heck I was eating from 1300-1500 a day. I also burned up 600 to 800 calories a day with my exercise program. (swim laps 3/4 hour, walk 1 mile 5-6 days a week + deep water aerobics 3 times a week for 3/4 hours each time. I am very religious with the exercise program for 5 years now) The same 5 lbs, up and down up and down. (must be cheating with doughnuts and ice cream too! And I never count them in my journal! I do tend to cheat! Enough! Told my hubby a closed casket unless I lose weight!

Over the years have probably been on most of the diets out there. Weight Watchers, Tops, Jenny Craig, South Beach, Cheat to lose, Kimmers (I think that is the name and was on this site) as well as a many others.
I lost on most of these as well as different versions of Adkins, but as I am here now, you know it did not stay off. I found my problem was quitting a plan after I took off about 1/2 of the weight required to get to goal. Then slowly put it back on.

I started August 1 on a combination of Adkins and Cheat to lose. I lost on Cheat to lose in the past.I like The Cheat to Lose Diet by Joel Marion as it has "Unlimited vegetables" that are unlimited, even in induction. Also on day 21 you get a cheat day. Cheat day is then day 7 of every week. I have found in the past that being able to look forward to day 7 to cheat, helps me to stay on the diet better the rest of the week. But as I am here now, you know I failed that too. Eventually went back to cheating many days!
cookie57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #512
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: beckah54
Stats: 227/209.8/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/10/13
Hello! Just a quick introduction....

My name is Linda (beckah54 is my handle) and this is my second time on Atkins. The first time was many years ago and I don't know why I ever quit because I lost weight easily.

I was at my highest ever weight when I decided to restart on June 10, 2013. I am tired of being fat and this time, I will stick with the program. This time, I will do this WOE for life.

I tried WW three times, lost weight three times and went right back to my old habits. Sweets are my downfall. Cakes, pies, bread, donuts, oh my! I think I have finally got it into my head that I can't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I have cleaned my cupboards of everything not low carb and donated it all to the local food pantry. I now have only foods that are permissible for Atkins. I have made some of the recipes from the recipe section and the food is much tastier and more filling than the junk I was eating before.

Good to meet everyone and please wish me luck!!
beckah54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #513
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SuperCee
Stats: 311/292/220
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 21 July 2013. Restart 13/07/14
Hi everyone

Hello everyone, im glad to finally be here. I've followed the website as an outsider for a few months now and started the Atkins woe just over two weeks ago. This site has given me invaluable support and im now proud to be an insider. I look forward to all the good things to come.
SuperCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #514
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cookie57
Stats: 212.2/202/190
WOE: WW
Start Date: 6-12-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckah54 View Post
My name is Linda (beckah54 is my handle) and this is my second time on Atkins. The first time was many years ago and I don't know why I ever quit because I lost weight easily.

I was at my highest ever weight when I decided to restart on June 10, 2013. I am tired of being fat and this time, I will stick with the program. This time, I will do this WOE for life.

I tried WW three times, lost weight three times and went right back to my old habits. Sweets are my downfall. Cakes, pies, bread, donuts, oh my! I think I have finally got it into my head that I can't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I have cleaned my cupboards of everything not low carb and donated it all to the local food pantry. I now have only foods that are permissible for Atkins. I have made some of the recipes from the recipe section and the food is much tastier and more filling than the junk I was eating before.

Good to meet everyone and please wish me luck!!
Hello Linda
Your past sounds a lot like mine. I also originally joined in 2003 and lost weight- 50 lbs. But I listened to a lot of people telling me that Adkins just HAD to be bad, as I did not get many veggies and fruits. And I tried every diet out there. I also lost weight but have gained most of it back.

The past year I have tried on my own by cutting calories. That also did not work.
I restarted low carbs on August 1st and am down 5 lbs as of today, but I know this is normal for me the first week.

I am actually doing the Cheat to Lose Diet by Joel Marion. It is a lot like Adkins except it has a lot of unlimited free carbs even during the 3 priming weeks. on day 21 you get a cheat day. Then you move on to the core phase and that is a combination of what you do in the priming weeks. Also every 7th day another cheat day. He has a book and it does make sense.

As my problem is cheating, in the past I lost on this because it provides a legal cheat day, and found I did not cheat the rest of the days as I had that cheat day to look forward to. BUT I went off that too and went back to my own way of eating---cheat most days. So I am back.
cookie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #515
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chyrie
Stats: 214/198/115
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 6/14/2014
Hello everyone
My name is Kathy, I'm 29 yrs old and I just got back to eating low carb for weight loss. I was low carb and wheat free during the last 6 months of my pregnancy but had added some carbs to prevent weight loss (mainly I had sweet potatoes and fell victim to ice cream lol) . I failed my GD test during pregnancy but I attribute that to eating low carb and wheat free....my body didn't know what to do with the disgusting amount of sugar they gave me. (my one hour was 166) My fasting numbers ranged from 94-105 during my pregnancy and my 2 hour post meals were always low.

I have 3 children, 2 girls ages 7 and 9 and my third baby is currently 2 months old...a boy . I have been married to my husband for 10 years.

When I carb loaded for my post partum glucose test I experienced severe abdominal issues so I am assuming I have been left gluten intolerant.

I am hoping to get down to less then 130 but for now am setting a mini goal of 150. Since I am breastfeeding, I am allowing extra cheese and have started induction with an allowance for almonds (cocoa almonds to help that chocolate craving!) and avocado. I am hoping between breastfeeding and ketosis, I can drop down to 150 within 4 months. (As I started at this weight the first time I easily got to 160 in 2 and a half months....I really wish I hadn't listened to the pressure to not low carb while trying to conceive)

...and yes my avatar is a doll.
Chyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #516
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Titan-ium
Stats: 191/158
Start Date: August 3rd, 2013
Newbie Here

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd stick my nose in here to say hello, I'm new to dieting and thought I'd give this a shot. I started my low carb diet when I weighed in at 191 lbs 4 days ago and now I'm down to 183, looking to attain my goal weight at 158 like I was 3 years ago. I look forward to learning from you all while I'm on this journey =)

Craig
Titan-ium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #517
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GoTeamVandy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 12, 2013
Hello all!

We are a husband and wife team about to start our low carb lifestyle. We have both always been overweight and have some health issues that will hopefully all improve with weight loss. Years ago we did really well with Atkins and we wish we would have kept it up back then, but we became tired with eating the same things over and over and eventually got back into our bad eating habits. This time around, we are gaining as much knowledge as we can about "low carbin' it" and due to health problems, are much more motivated to do well.

I looked around this site and think it offers a wealth of information and support. We are excited to get started and look forward to sharing what we learn with others here.

Best wishes to all!
GoTeamVandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #518
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newgrace
WOE: atkins
Start Date: august 2013
Hi everyone,
My name is Immaculate. I have 2 girls youngest being a yr old.
I had a csection last year and i weigh the same as i did when i went in for my scheduled csection.
My goal is to lose 50lbs..
I love all the support here. I know we can all do it.
Cheers to our health
newgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #519
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newgrace
WOE: atkins
Start Date: august 2013
Hi
you sound a lot like me but way younger.
I have 2 daughters too 9 and 1.
Am hoping to lose 50lbs
I started low carbing last week. I weighed this am for the first time since 2 weeks postpartum.
My weight has had me very depressed, i dont go to any social gatherings or take pictures.
Am keeping a journal too to help me deal with my emotions.
good luck to us
newgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #520
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Deejavu
Hi everyone! I'm glad I joined because I need support in losing weight. I was successful using Atkins 4 years ago and lost over 30 pounds. I am 56 years young and ready to throw out the bread and all those carby foods.

Glad to be here!
Deejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #521
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: savvy_as_98
Stats: 190/180/135/5'8"
WOE: Atkins all the way
Start Date: August 2014
Hi everybody, Have lost 50 pounds with Atkins in the past down to 145 pounds - unfortunately have regained most of it back especially after a recent surgery. Reentering this with a better frame of mind. Have been exercising regularly and now want to do clean up my diet as well.

Planning a 1200 cals 20 gm carb start for two weeks with 5% carbs, 30% proteins and 70% fat diet.
Going to keep my food journal, exercise(keep my walk/run from 20-40 miles every week and planning a 10K in October), weigh every day(find it works better for me than once a week).

10 pounds by Sept 10 !

So happy to be here !
savvy_as_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #522
Dio
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dio
Stats: (246.5 / 223.5 / 165) 5'10" Age 32
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 19 2013
Bachelor Seeking Guidance

I'm a 32 year old overweight male starting at 246.5 pounds at 5' 9.5" tall. I set my goal weight to 165 based on an online calculator suggesting my ideal weight is 127-172 pounds. If I can hit my goal, I can readjust it later if I decide I'd like to lose more.

I've been overweight since about 5th grade (age 10). About the same time I started having occasional, dull abdominal pain. Through the years the frequency and severity has increased. In high school I thought it was lactose intolerance. Two separate ER visits for severe pain in my early 20s revealed "high liver enzyme count" in my bloodstream, an inflamed liver, and one nurse's suggestion of "fatty liver." (Doctors were worthless). This year, a discussion with a coworker and internet research has lead me to believe I also have gallbladder disease (gallbladder attacks - the severe bouts of pain), probably stemmed from my liver's condition (the dull achy pains).

So, the best way to remedy the root problem is to lose weight and keep it off. I'm here to try to make it happen.

I'm a long time convenient-food consumer and soda pop drinker. For the past 10 years I have drank soda almost exclusively, even in the middle of the night when I woke up thirsty. It was Pepsi through my teens to early 20s. Then bouts of heartburn and my work hours led me away from cola to energy drinks. Attempting to save money but keep the high caffeine intake I changed to Mt. Dew which I fell in love with and have drank almost exclusively for the past 8 years. I have never been very much into alcohol, and in the early 20s it started having guaranteed bad results after drinking so I haven't touched it in about 8 years.

In the past 4-10 years I probably ate fast food 4-10 times a month. In the past 1-3 years it's more like 1-4 times per month. It's not just that I know it's all bad for my situation, but that I'm too lazy to go get it. I'm the laziest person I know. I only leave the house to go to work (can't really get around that one) or when I'm out of cat food or cat litter for my cat. If I'm out of food for myself, I'll starve myself unless I also need to restock my soda. However, when I go to the convenience store for soda (cheaper than the grocery store usually), I would almost always grab Doritos or Cheetos (whichever had a sale or I was in the mood for).

My go to foods have always been simple, easy fixes. I ate tons of Ramen for a few years in my 20s until I noticed the fat content and dropped it. Other staple foods besides Doritos (which I'd eat as a meal by itself) are tortillas (with stuff inside or without), spaghetti/pasta noodles, waffles/pancakes (no syrup, just plain... can I get a pat on the back on the for that at least? lol). Lunch meat sandwiches with wheat potato bread.

Ah yes, potatoes. They are my favorite food in the world! Hash browns, scalloped, potato bread, baked potatoes, marvelous in every form! My favorite meal is breakfast - hashbrowns and scrambled eggs. I find breakfast meats to be too greasy anymore, I don't even enjoy them. Turkey bacon or super lean italian sausage are the only exceptions (after I suffocate them with a napkin). Having cut greasy and fatty meats from my diet to try to prevent abdominal pain over the past few years, I now find them hard to enjoy ('tis a good thing, yeah?!)

I have zero desire to eat anything deep fried anymore. One bite and all reassurance that I'm done with that grease comes rushing back (french fries go both ways. Love the potato/hate the grease). This includes donuts. If I could do that with carbs, I'd probably have it made. Problem is I love carbs. Breads and pastas taste great, are filling, never give me digestion problems, have a great shelf life, and they're cheap! So easy to love.

Don't forget sugary snacks. I love everything not chocolate based. I've never really been a fan of chocolate other than extra strength hot cocoa in the winter (especially with a peppermint candy cane soaked in it!) Gummy worms/bears, Swedish Fish, and all flavors of licorice are my favorites. These are the only things my cravings are going mad for since I've started eating South Beach style. I may start looking for a no-carb version of homemade gummy candy soon, I'm going crazy.

I've never been a big fan of vegetables. Canned green beans and all kinds of carrots (and olives if those count) are about the only veggies I like. I can tolerate onion if it's fully cooked and well chopped/small portioned. I love the flavor green peppers give to food but peppers themselves do not digest well for me so I never buy them. Lettuce is okay if it's a small amount on a burger, but salad? Forget that. I like almost everything tomato-based, but tomatoes themselves hit my gag reflex if I try to eat them. Every other veggie I can think of is either gross or I've never tried it.

I don't need crappy food - it's just convenient. I find a wholesome meal (cooked by someone else of course, especially my mother's cooking) to be the most desirable and satisfying thing to eat. I don't feel like any restaurants in my city serve this desirable grade of food, so really it has been crap or crap unless I'm going to do it myself (yeah, right lol).

... but I'm here to try.

I have been following the South Beach Diet (SBD) because it lined up with the type of diet you need to correct a fatty liver. So, I'm not tied to SBD, it's just a guideline. Since I started SBD this July, I have been taking a multivitamin and an omega 3 vitamin every day since preparing a full course meal leaves me with too much food. I usually just eat 1 or 2 things each time I'm hungry. 1/2 Can of beans and 1/2 can chicken here, couple handfuls of grapes there. I've been trying to drink a few glasses of V8 every day since I despise veggies so much. I was afraid it wouldn't be good for you, but I haven't really seen any arguments against it. I gather that making my own would be optimal, but if I can V8 acceptably, that's what I'd prefer for sure.

Last edited by Dio; 08-10-2013 at 12:13 AM..
Dio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #523
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Liberty9515
Newbie from UK

Hiya, have been low carbing for about 3 weeks. Its going well so far.Have read alot of threads and have been inspired. Hoping to immerse myself in this WOE to improve my health and wellbeing by losing weight.
Hope to get to know many of you by the time I get to goal.
Liberty9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #524
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: annsan43
New to low carb

I started with low carb around 2 weeks ago and lost 3 pounds. I have around 100 pounds to loose. Can anyone tell me how many carbs I should be eating a day to achieve this over the next year. Also, what does a low carb day day look like. Thanks so much!!!
annsan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #525
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie

You will probably find it mire helpful to ask questions in a separate thread rather than this "intro" one

Also, "low carb" is a general term. If you want to know how many carbs, cals, whatever is allowed, it helps to know the actual plan you're doing since they vary a great deal
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #526
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: The Gil
Hi,
Lost 20lbs with Weight Watchers, and then another 10 by taking up running and eventually joining/using a gym. But have been stuck ever since, and I have to count calories real carefully just to maintain weight.
So I signed up with a nutritionist and a trainer.. and he says, okay lets start with your diet, no more than 100 carbs a day for now... and I am like... that sounds like a low-carb diet. That right he says, and he went to explain why, why it works, especially for someone with diabetes like me.. .and well here I am.
Question, is their iPhone app for this website/tool?
The Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #527

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gil View Post
Question, is their iPhone app for this website/tool?
Welcome...

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I use LCF (regular site) from my phone all the time.

As for specific tools (calorie counters, etc) there are some on the tools page (click here) which we (LCF Admins/Mods) have determined to be free of charge, and free of advertisements. Any that are not on that list should not be link to, posted or PMed without talking to a moderator or admin, as posting about them may be breaking the ToS (more info here). I hope that helps.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #528
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
Hello. My name is Patti, I've been referring to this site quite a bit while starting my low carb WOE and decided to join today. I would like to lose 30 pounds of medicine induced weight gain (I am off of that med since January) and improve my health. After 3 weeks of eating right around 30 grams of carbs per day, my blood pressure has lowered, which is very encouraging.
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #529
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Hello everyone, I've been lurking on this site for awhile and tht it about time to pop in to say "hi to all". I started low carbing in Jan. 2013 and have been amazed at what I've learned. I'm a diabetic so this has to be a way of life for me. The excellent recipes have helped greatly, as one of my passions is cooking. My gosh, wasn't Kevinpa a sweetheart to have left us w/ such a wealth of recipes. I hate that I never was able to speak w/ him, he certainly liked to perfect low carb sweets.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #530
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ylodazy
WOE: No Sugar, No Starch
Start Date: August 13 2013
Ylodazy Here

Hello. I'm 68, and started with Overcoming Overeating, then moved to Normal Eating, which has given me some tools for handling and understanding real versus triggered hunger. Gary Taubes book, Why We Get Fat made complete sense to me, and I was already aware of some food sensitivities. Additionally I lost about 80# on the Stillman QWL back n the early seventies and kept it all off for over a decade before my weight began a slow upward creep.

So here I am, going with the diet advice in The Taubes book, printed out from online, as all my books are ebooks.

Four days in, I'm down two pounds, have less joint pain, wake up more alert, and have had only a very mild headache which was resolved by eating a few olives for the fat content.

Hope to see y'all around.
Ylodazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #531
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
Howdy!
I have been lower carb eating for about 6 months. It started at the end of last year. I decided to get some new warmer clothing to replace the old tattered stuff I had worn out. I thought I had a size 36 waist which I did if I didn't mind the pants being too tight and and getting stomach cramps if I sat to long in them. So, I bought some size 38 pants. Now I realize that for many men of a certain age, a 38 inch waist would be a nice outcome. But, I had gone from 34 inches to 36 inches in five years and was now on my way to 38 inches. Not so good. In a few more years I would hit the dreaded 40 inch waist - an indicator of metabolic syndrome for males.

I found out about low carb via some articles and decided to give it a try. I could not do the extreme induction diet of Atkins. I was miserable, kind of like some ex vegetarians describe when they talk about their vegetarian experience. So I made up my own lower-carb diet. And it worked. Six months later, my size 36 pants are actually getting baggy and I can now wear some size 34 pants. OK, I can't wear the skinny ones designed for 20-somethings.

Last edited by Josh1234; 08-18-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #532
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Romy
Stats: 164/150.0/120-130
WOE: LC
Start Date: July1,2013
Hi everyone. I want to wish us all luck to a healthy success in our journey of weight loss.
My real name is Margherita but go by Romy at the office, 3 Margarets and was getting very confusing when clients called.
I have been lurking from the outside for help and support from this site and decided to join. I have been low carbing since July 1 and have lost about 14 pounds . I can honestly say that this time is the first time that I have been able to stick with it. It was frustrating at the beginning when the scale did not move but I stuck with it and slowly it is coming down. I did not do Induction but went straight to OWL. I need fruits and vegetables. I am a social butterfly and have many parties and functions to attend but I eat things that I can eat.
I know that I will reach my goal this time around because I will not give up and no food goes into my mouth that is not low carb and healthy. I try to stay away from eating too much fat but do have the healthy oils and full fat cheese and mayo no more fat free tasteless food.
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #533
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
everyone! You will love the support here
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #534
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fun w son
Stats: 283/269/200
WOE: not sure?
Start Date: July 13, 2013
newbe!

hi all!

i am a 43 year old heart patient ( yes i had a stint at 40) that needs to loose about another 60lbs. been LC for about 6 weeks and i'm down 20 lbs. not really on a plan, just reading the info on the boxes. i guees i'm learning as i go!
fun w son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #535
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Hi all I'm an Aussie who has tried low carb ( PPLP) several times over the years...initially 11years ago to get pregnant ( was not over weight then, but I do have PCOS) I did get pregnant easily. Put on weight in the pregnancy, 12kg and never lost it.....tried low carbing before pregnancy #2 and ended up on metformin to achieve a sticky baby. Lost weight in that pregnancy, and had a big boy at the end.... When he was 6w old I did an anti candida yeast cleanse, and lost all the baby weight ( it was like low carbing!)...and slowly it crept back on again...finally got pregnant with number three, on metformin....lost weight in pregnancy....had a baby who was just over 10.5lb! And he is now two. I am 20kg over the weight I am aiming for ( I think that's like 44lbs). This time, I am not following anyone's rules. I have ditched sugar, no grains, no carby veg like potatoes pumpkins, tomatoes, no fruit at this point...lots of meat, some cheese and lots of crunchy raw veg or steamed winter veg, and a couple of strong coffes with cream a few times a week instead of breakfast ( am interested in the fat black concept..but can't go butter in my coffe yet!). This time I am also using some hypno CDs which have helped immensely! Am currently three weeks in and the initial detox was the worst I have ever had. I believe I have a sugar addiction and need to get that poisioning out of my life for ever!
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #536
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Hello everyone! Just thought I'd pop in and re-introduce myself. I use to be on the site back when it just got started, as bosldy. Well, I'm back & no longer the boss!

So, I've been doing this off & on for a while. (gosh it has been 14/15 years! Yikes!) This time it's for keeps. Don't know why it has taken me so long to understand that knowledge does not make you immune. Guess somewhere inside I really wasn't ready to change.

Like one of my dd's said, "I can eat that crap as long as I am okay with looking like crap"... I find, not so much...

So, here's to getting to know you all better! And getting (and staying) healthier!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #537
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nanato4
Start Date: 08/12/2013
Hi, I lost 75 lbs eating lowcarb and used to come to this forum for recipes and answers. Maintained the weight loss for a long time, then 3 years ago injured myself and had to have spine surgery. Now I am back and plan to stay on track until I lose the weight I gained.
Nanato4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #538
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Andrea
Hi, I'm Andrea and joined to find recipes. Today I was looking for a recipe for low carb tortillas larger than the ones I can find in the stores so I can make bowls for taco salads for me and my husband. And thanks to a very nice lady who posted her recipe, I found just what I wanted. My husband has had diabetes for 10-12 years so I've been modifying dessert recipes for him for some time. I'll probably start posting some of them next week. I recently found out that I'm diabetic also. I've been sensitive to carbs for some time and try to get all of mine in fruits and veggies. Now that I'm on Metformin, I'm actually losing weight, which is good because I would like to lose over 100 pounds eventually, but I'm not actively on any diet. Any time in the past that I've tried to diet I've put on weight [except when I went to a doctor who gave me pills. I lost weight, but I was so mean that my husband said that he'd rather have me fat!!]
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #539
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BumbleStang
Stats: 239/202/165
WOE: Protein Power, switched to Atkins 1/1/14
Start Date: 6/14/13
Hi, I'm Lyn. Did the low-carb thing about 10 or 15 years ago when I was in my 30's with great success. Went off the plan and slowly gained (and gained.. and gained), and recently overheard some people at a party talking about a book called "Why We Get Fat". I looked it up on Amazon and could tell just by the reviews that the answer is... carbs! I thought about my previous success on the low-carb plan and decided to give it another shot, and I've been sticking to it since about mid-June. The weight is coming off slower than last time (I'm 45) but it's coming off... about 11 lbs. so far. I didn't pack the pounds back on overnight, and as long as the scale is moving in the right direction, I'm happy. If I start feeling discouraged by a stuck scale, I come on here and read the threads about the success & struggles of others and realize that if I am patient enough, good things will happen.

This way of eating comes pretty easy to me, I love meat and cheese and scrambled & deviled eggs and Stater Bros. pepper bacon, and as long as I keep it interesting with the recipes I see on here I really don't feel like I'm depriving myself of much. I bought the "Why We Get Fat" book and dusted off my old copy of "Protein Power" and refreshed my memory re: the science of low-carb eating. It all just makes alot of sense to me, much more than 15 years ago when I was only low-carbing as a quick weight-loss plan, not a long-term way of eating. I feel good on this diet, more energy (once I got through the initial week or two of hell, that is), better focus, etc. I'm looking forward to what's ahead for me, now matter how long it takes to reach my goal this time around.
BumbleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #540
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tabacblond
hi!
I am Tabacblond, have type 1 diabetes since Nov2012, age 33. Still can not believe it. I've started lowcarb in January, because on moderate carb I couldn't manage my diabetes. Got great numbers, bUt now I face another challenges, I hope to get your support with.
Have a great Friday!
Tabacblond is offline   Reply With Quote