Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #391
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: frank
Stats: 1993 ... 388 lbs today 235 lbs ... day by day
WOE: Atkins .....
New here...not to low Carb....I was 400lbs 25 years ago...here I sit at 240lbs...I have been there or within 10lbs for 8 years...I am ready for the final get serious push to 190lbs...there is a lot here to learn and new menus ideas will help...I have read some inspirational stories and those help a lot... I would like to say thanks in advance for what you all do and wish everyone the best... Thanks Frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #392
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oana
Hello everyone, i'm new here and to low carb too... i read some things online about this lifestyle and decided to try it.
I kept or tried to keep my carbs under 50,60g a day for the last 3 weeks (some days i succeed to maintain them under 30g, and other days i had more than 100g ).
One impediment i find is that i am a semi-vegetarian (eating fish, eggs and dairy products) and sometimes is hard to plan my meals to be nutritional balanced. I'm not a big fan of fish so my best source of protein are the eggs for now. Any other suggestions?
I used to eat beans, chickpeas, rice, peas, potatoes, home made bread from whole wheat, things that are a big NO in this case.
Can you give me a link to a site where i can calculate the equation for protein/fat/carbs? I'm not sure how to calculate that if i want to loose 6.6 pounds (3kilos, sorry if i didn't convert it or spell it ok, i'm from Europe)
And I didn't understand too well if in low carb you have to count the calories too?!
That's it for now, going on the recipe area to read more about the cauliflower pizza
I wish you all a great day!
oana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
O all the new folks

What ever your goals and aims, good luck!
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #394

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by oana View Post
Hello everyone, i'm new here and to low carb too... i read some things online about this lifestyle and decided to try it.
I kept or tried to keep my carbs under 50,60g a day for the last 3 weeks (some days i succeed to maintain them under 30g, and other days i had more than 100g ).
One impediment i find is that i am a semi-vegetarian (eating fish, eggs and dairy products) and sometimes is hard to plan my meals to be nutritional balanced. I'm not a big fan of fish so my best source of protein are the eggs for now. Any other suggestions?
I used to eat beans, chickpeas, rice, peas, potatoes, home made bread from whole wheat, things that are a big NO in this case.
Can you give me a link to a site where i can calculate the equation for protein/fat/carbs? I'm not sure how to calculate that if i want to loose 6.6 pounds (3kilos, sorry if i didn't convert it or spell it ok, i'm from Europe)
And I didn't understand too well if in low carb you have to count the calories too?!
That's it for now, going on the recipe area to read more about the cauliflower pizza
I wish you all a great day!
... regarding your question about what sites might help you calculate your macros, see our tools page
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #395
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oana
Thank you for your welcome!
I tried some links from the tool page but it wasn't what i was looking for...
Later edit: found it on weight loss calculator! many thanks!
oana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #396
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sher70
Hi everyone! I started LC 2 weeks ago and have dropped 9 lbs. I have done LC in the past with great success but unfortunately didn't look at it as a lifestyle. I gained all the weight back with an additional 50lbs. I'm very excited to find this site & look forward to great advice & inspiration!
sher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the LC lifestyle. But, I read a lot of information and I think I have the basics down. I have tried other diets but I have not been able to stick with them. I am very concerned about my weight and my health as I have High blood pressure and heart disease in my family
This is my second week and I am staying under 25 net carbs to start. It has not been too hard so far. I really want to drop to 220 but I am worried I will not be able to due to the fact that I do not exercise due to other problems I have.
Any advice will be great!
Thanks
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #398
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
New here...not to low Carb....I was 400lbs 25 years ago...here I sit at 240lbs...I have been there or within 10lbs for 8 years...I am ready for the final get serious push to 190lbs...there is a lot here to learn and new menus ideas will help...I have read some inspirational stories and those help a lot... I would like to say thanks in advance for what you all do and wish everyone the best... Thanks Frank
Welcome Frank - this is the place to reach your goal(s), I think you'll do great this time - come on over to "Boot Camp Charlie" in Low Carb Challenges and share your news and tell us all what you're doing for success. That's an order.
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
Start Date: May 16 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
Hi all, I started the LC diet in April after reading an article that debunks almost everything we have been taught about losing weight. I researched information on LC diets and purchased Dana Carpender's "How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds". I am 5' 10" tall and weighed 218 lbs. when I started in April. My weight is now 198 lbs. I have not been below 205 in decades and my goal is 185 lbs.. I found this forum on Google and believe it will help me reach my goal. Thanks for being here.
Welcome Phillip - come on over to "Boot Camp Charlie" in Low Carb Challenges and share your news and tell us all what you're doing for success. That's an order.
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #400
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: irishkiss
Trying the opposite

I have been doing low calorie for 2 years and have lost the weight I want. Maintaining is getting harder though. My mom has lost 100 lbs doing the low carb. So, I thought I would give it a try. It is the total opposite of what I was eating. Now I need to study on what I can have and not have....
irishkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 212/206/175
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
Hello - I'm not a newbie, I've been around LCF starting in 2007. On and off Atkins, then went off completely for a while. I attempted SBD and WW. NOT FOR ME.

Back to Atkins NDR and I have a new, fresh perspective about it and I've just completed one clean week of Induction plus exercise and I feel great. I'm excited to start this over and really do it right this time.
Stacy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #402
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Saltysailor1
Stats: 183/171/120
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: June 25, 2013
Hi

My name is Debby. I am 54 years old, and I have been struggling with my weight for the past 10-12 years. I lose a couple of pounds, then gain them back with a few extra! I am only 5'3" (on a good day) and I currently weigh 173.5 pounds (up 2 pounds just from yesterday!) I am so frustrated I could cry. I have been trying the low carb lifestyle since March 26th and have lost a total of only 10 pounds. I have been having palpitations for the past couple of years and finally saw a cardiologist who said my heart is fine other than the palpitations. he recommended I cut back on my caffeine and prescribed Toprol XL (a beta blocker). I cut back on my caffeine, but I can't seem to get rid of it entirely! I can't quite figure out how to eat and have not been able to get into ketosis no matter how low I keep my carbs. I haven't tried the fat fast because I think it sounds awful (I am not a big fan of fat, except butter, cream and olive oil) to begin with, probably because of eating "low fat" for so long. I LOVE most of the low carb veges so I am in good shape there and I LOVE nuts and cheese (probably ate too many yesterday thus the weight gain). Anyway, I am looking forward to being a member and learning how this journey works as well as giving and receiving support to keep me going.
Saltysailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #403
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: theclimb
Stats: 184.7/175.2/125
Start Date: June 3, 2013
I am new here, but not new to Atkins. I had gastro surgery last year for a blockage due to diverticulitis. That ostomy bag was a great diet! Lost 50 lbs without trying, but I wouldn't recommend it .

However, I am now almost 1 year post surgery and carb creep (ok, carb-o-holic eating) kicked in and I put 20 lbs of it back on.

So, I want to get back to that weight and then some. Just completed my first week of clean induction with better than expected results. I feel amazing, with so much energy!

This site has been great reacquainting me with LC and helped me figure out the foods that stall me.
theclimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Debbie, you say only 10 pounds . . . I think you should say 10 pounds!!!
Project the rate of loss out through the end of the year and see where you will be.
Yes, will slow, but you will continue to lose.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #405
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hearthnsoul
Stats: 213/207/150
WOE: Quasi Atkins
Start Date: August 17 2009
Jumping in with optimism

Well here I am, I started modified Atkins June 1 2013. I did not weight myself but I think it safe to say I have quite a bit too lose and I am most likely in the low 2's. I have been down this road some years ago and lost tons of weight but its all crept back and then some. So I decided, I lose or I die,..I know dramatic. But it's true I am not getting any younger and if I keep this weight on, it surely will lead down that road. I want to be fit. I want to feel good. I would love to go to the beach! Not that I ever liked the beach very much, but I want the option, Ya know?! Anyhow, my fingers aren't swollen anymore, I feel better already in my skin after only 11 days. I feel good and I have to wonder to myself, why I ever went back to carbs? So that's me
hearthnsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #406
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mfdbneji
Stats: 500/453/400(for now)
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: April 6th 2013
Hi everyone,

My name is Ben, I started my Low Carb lifestyle April 6th 2013. Bassically, I have modified the Atkins diet into something that I could follow easier (to much counting and restriction in my busy life).

I started off at 500 pounds (or more, I didnt get my scale until about a month into the diet). So far, I have lost 47 pounds, and im hoping to hit 50 pound lost at my 10 week mark which is this Saturday.

My diet consists of mostly proteins, and I have recently added berries and LC wraps (not sure the brand, but 6 net carbs per wrap, I keep it to one of those a day).

I used to be a firefighter, on a volunteer department. I got to big to safely perfrom the work, or even fit into my gear. I was heart broken, because I was forced to quit the department. That is my biggest goal, to get on a fire department again. I will start the process when I get under 300 pounds to get back on a department.

My current goal, is to lose 100 pounds by the end of the year. As long as I stay on track, and keep losing the weight I am at the rate I am (about 5 pound a week), I should hit my goal by the end of August. Ive given myself until the end of the year incase I hit any hiccups or start losing less though.

My end goal is 250 Pounds. Im a big guy anyways, 6'3", very stocky bone structure, so I would probably just look silly weighing any less. I hope to hit this goal by the end of 2015, prefeably sooner

One of my biggest motivators so far has been having the scale. In the past I didnt have a scale that went to 500 pounds, so I didnt know how much I weighed. This time around, I bought a scale, and its made all the difference. I weigh myself pretty much everyday (it really keeps me going seeing 1 pound down, or staying the same weight).

What drew me here today is that im feeling down. Last night, I broke my box spring, completely collapsing the middle portion. It was a big reminder that I have a lot of work ahead of me, even though Ive done so well so far.

I look forward to interacting with everyone on here
mfdbneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #407
Senior LCF Member

all the new people.

Ben, my Dh is a fireman, and I can understand your sorrow at not being able to perform as one now. You can do it, you've made an awesome start. WTG!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #408
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hearthnsoul
Stats: 213/207/150
WOE: Quasi Atkins
Start Date: August 17 2009
Ben, I am glad you brought the scale up. I had decided just to bypass it. Ten years ago I did Atkins never used the scale, lost tons of weight, however instead of focusing on the weight loss I had been focused on food concoctions. It kept me, I guess focused on what I ate and could recreate low carb it was sort of a game. Then my eldest daughters graduation came and I needed a dress. My daughter had to keep bringing smaller and smaller sizes to me. In the end I was pretty stunned at how much weight I had lost, I was actually a small person again. The odd thing was within a few days I fell off the diet and spent the next ten years gaining and gaining. I think it was a psychological thing for me (a lot of unwanted attention in my younger years) I think although I hate the weight, it served me as some sort of protection. Your pointing to the motivation of the scale makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and weigh myself. It does make sense to see when your dropping as motivation and when you not to kick it up even higher and maybe that way I can handle the loss seeing it go day by day as opposed to being taken off guard and potentially sabotaging myself again.
hearthnsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #409
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DaMistress
Stats: 185/173/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: May 2013
Morning all,
newbie here, Karen and going to induction full force but need to read up on all the requirements. want to reach 145 by Oct 2013 which i believe i can.
DaMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #410
Junior LCF Member

Thanks! You are right. I lost 10 pounds! Whoo hoo! It is so slow, and I am stuck there. That is where I get frustrated. No loss in about 4 weeks. I want to add in green verges, etc., but am afraid. I have to be honest and admit I have not incorporated exercise, yet.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #411
Junior LCF Member

Ben,
I am glad to see you here. I am a newbie as well, but this seems like a great source of support as well as information. I completely understand your feeling down, but you are already making great progress. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #412
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: taramichelle
Stats: 151/146/130
WOE: none
Start Date: June 2013
New to LC

Hi, I'm Tara. I am a 44 year old middle school teacher/PhD Student/Wife/Mother of two college kids, and I am hoping to find a WOE that I can live with that will keep me feeling young and strong. I have gained 20 pounds since working on my PhD and I want to get rid of it!!! I had been working out sporadically and counting calories (about 1200 per day) to no avail. I was feeling bloated, gross, grumpy, and tired (not words I would use to describe the "real" me). So after watching the movie Fat-Head and thinking about my diet, I decided on June 4 to start counting carbs. At the same time, my daughter (home for summer) convinced me to do the Insanity work-out program with her. I have lost 6 pounds and inches all over already. But what surprises me is how good I feel and motivated to continue. I am reading Living Low Carb by Jonny Bowden (great information!) and stalking on forums here. I plan to change my eating habits for good (even if not as drastically as now), and I hope actively participating here will help. Hope this wasn't too long - thanks if you read all the way to here And welcome to all the other newbies!
taramichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #413
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiffany62590
Stats: 240/165/159
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2008 started Atkins, low carb on & off since
Hello everyone! I'm Tiffany. I've been a long time ghost reader of this forum and finally decided to join in

My low carb journey: I hit my highest weight of 240 pounds when I was 17 years old. I'm 5'11 so I didn't really look 'obese' and never really thought of myself as fat - I just sort of thought I was big boned and built chunky, and that was that. I also suffered from multiple health issues - horrible acne, hormonal issues that made me ill for days, headaches, joint pain, stomach pain and digestive issues.

When my sister decided to go on Atkins in the spring of 2008, I watched her drop her weight (which was nothing compared to mine) and decided to give it a try myself "for just a month or two". I dropped 30 pounds within the first 3 months and then maintained my weight loss, but started eating more sugar and carbs. For the next few years I managed to keep the weight off but I was still heavy.

In spring of 2011, my mom and I went on a super strict low carb diet, more to try to clear my acne than to lose weight. My mom ended up losing nearly 100 pounds, and I dropped down to 175. Over the next few months I maintained between 180 - 190, and dropped down again to 170 the following spring (spring 2012) by doing intermittent fasting. But I was eating high-carb again and my acne, headaches and PMS were terrible. I discovered I had a gluten intolerance and suspected Celiac Disease and PCOS in June of 2012. I went off gluten but ended up gaining 30 pounds (gluten free does NOT mean healthy) and jumped back up to 200 pounds over the summer.

I tried everything to get the weight off - P90X, intermittent fasting, low-carb...nothing worked this time, and I just couldn't seem to stick with anything. This March (March of 2013) I went on a lemonade detox in a hope of jump-starting my weight loss. The weight finally came off - I lost 30 pounds in two months (yes, I know it was a drastic way to lose weight and no, it was not easy or fun, and it was strictly a last ditch effort). Now I'm back on low carb (around 30 carbs per day) and training for a 10 mile run this September. I'm just a few pounds away from my lifetime goal weight and this time I believe I will be able to keep it off as I understand what foods my body cannot handle. I highly doubt I’ll be able to maintain my weight if I ever eat over 50 carbs per day, and I’m okay with that. I’m trying to work to do nutritional ketosis now – high fat, moderate protein, low carb.
Tiffany62590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
My name is Jenny and I'm a sugaraholic

I am 100+ pounds over weight, which started when I was graduating highschool. I've come to the realization that although I cannot control my lifespan, I can take charge and be responsible with my god given body. I do not want to be responsible for my own death.

The last couple of weeks, I've been listening to podcasts by Dishing up Nutrition, which led me to start the online researching. (I didn't know they were a LCHF promoter until the past couple of weeks, when I put it all together)

I've already lost 9 pounds, and I look forward to the journey to get healthy and stay away from the sugar.

Thank you for having me!
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #415
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wisailer
Stats: 265/225/220
WOE: Low carb Paleo
Start Date: February 2013
Newbie here - so .. I wouldn't mind being all buff and all - but it wasn't a big deal ... Yeah, a big'n 6'3 265. My self esteem wasn't devoured by my weight - I was mostly happy - but sure felt self conscious when taking my shirt off and going into water at a beach or pool on a cruise.

Then at a doctors appt I had borderline high BP, borderline high glucose, and all my fat man labs were high. I was rsort of a cliche - middle aged man with a beer gut ... Poster child for metabolic syndrome. So I told the doc "I'll work on it".

I started riding my bike to work every day (12 miles round trip) - which isn't easy to do in the sweltering heat of central Florida - but I did (still do) it. Then started going on long rides on the weekends ... I ride about 100 miles a week now.

Went back to doctor - Lost a whole 5 lbs - and fat man labs were still up.

Doctor says "well, Bill, you must be at your happy weight"

Yeah! I thought to my self .... I'm a fattie and its perfectly ok.

Then later that evening I got angry .... Is this the best I can do .... Looking like a fat necked beer drinking guy? Where I can barely button a size 19 neck collar to wear a tie, where I border between 2xl and 3xl aloha shirt? Where i wear my adjustable waist pants low down my back side but look like Ive got a load in my drawers? Is this the best I can do?

So I said "happy weight, phooey!"

... And just cut back on the endless garbage snacking and beer swigging while watching Fox news every night.

Lost 20'ish lbs.

But been stuck there for 3 weeks now - obviously time to do something different - cause 240 isn't going to be my happy weight either.

So I started reading up on low carb and the scientist/engineer in me was impressed by "The art and science of low carb living" -- and now have been in the induction phase for a week.

I feel not great - but waiting anf holding on for the body to define its new normal. Still riding - but I'm very weak feeling.

Looking forward to learning from you all ... Particulary interested in low carb organic and locally sourced life styles.

Bill
Central Florida
Wisailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #416
Senior LCF Member

newbies

Bill I think you'll find your food perferences will fit in just fine We're all about eating good, healthy food - organic, free range, grass fed and local Thats not to say if the pay check is a bit low for the week we dont buy less than perfect, but we do try. You may find the paleo board is what your looking for.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #417
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aruralgirl
Stats: 216/179/160 ht. 5'7
WOE: FF/M&E
Start Date: April 2013
Hi everybody,

Another newbie--been lurking for a while but finally decided I needed to join. I've been doing low carb on and off for several years, but it's taken my daughter's upcoming wedding to motivate me to get going again. So, yes, I want to lose weight for the wedding, but more than that, I want to feel better and have more energy long term.

Thanks for all of the wonderful posts! Hopefully I can add something positive to the mix.
Aruralgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #418
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jericrop
Stats: 187/178/160
Start Date: June 2013
HI New to this site

I have done South Beach only for short periods of time. I lost and loved the program, but for some reason the brain gets off track. I need to lose this weight. None of my summer clothes fit. Saddens me I let myself gain weight back after losing 33 lbs years ago. Much needed support.
Jericrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #419
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JaimeM
Hello

Hi my name is Jaime. I just started a low carb diet on Saturday and I am hoping to lose some weight. I quit smoking 8 years ago and gained about 80 lbs. I feel better from not smoking now I hope to lose all this weight. I tried this before and lost 30 lbs and then I started eating carbs again and gained it all back. So I am trying this again.
JaimeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #420
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RustyNail
Greetings! New to the forum, but making a return to an LC diet. About 12 years ago I went from being a physically fit kick-boxer to a eating and drinking machine. All those years have added up, so here I am with a 200lb weight loss goal.

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, which quickly taught me that the party is officially over. I feel so terrible when my blood sugar is up, that I have a very strong motivator to stay on the path. My goal is <20g of carbs per day, but with still learning the ropes I often find myself around 30g. The results are still positive though... I am down 23 pounds. 177 to go.
RustyNail is offline   Reply With Quote