LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #331
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Candiceena
Stats: 180/167/122
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18 2013
Hi everyone!

My name is Candice...and (obviously, lol) I am new to the boards. I just turned 25 and am beginning my health journey. I spent the last 7 years treating my body like crap - smoking, alcohol, fast food, never sleeping, beer, alcohol, less sleep, crappier food, etc. I have slowly but surely made progress on treating myself & my body better...

Last summer I gave up alcohol for good. I am now a non-drinker (yay!!). Next went the cigarettes (wooohoo!!)...then came about 10 lbs which I lost by giving up fast-food (yay)...I am not perfect and still eat it sometimes but it used to make up the majority of my diet so I am very happy to have cut back so much. Funny thing, when you are not out at bars & partying all night, you get much better sleep (woohoo!).

In January I decided to step it up a notch. I began to work out 1x a week. In February I increased it to 2x a week...March, 3x a week, and have continued to progress. I'm now up to 5-7 days a week of exercise and for the first time in my life I can honestly say that I truly honestly 100% love working out. I vary my workouts - Cathe, The FIRM, Leslie Sansone, ballet/barre/fusion, yoga, hiking, walking, etc.

Now is the final step in my weight-loss journey: getting control of my eating/diet. I don't know what exactly led me to low-carb, probably a few different things, but I feel like LC is really going to be the best way for me to achieve my goals.

My stats are: 25 y/o, female, approx 167 lbs, 5'5. I'd like to lose about 45 lbs.
Candiceena is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emily1
Stats: 206.8/150/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2012
Hello Everyone,
My name is Emily, I am 26 years old and I am from Vancouver B.C Canada, I have been on a low carb diet twice before. The first time I tried it I was 17 years old and my weight when I first started was 186lbs, my lowest weight was 125 pounds ( I am 5'5 by the way). I was able to maintain that weight (give or take 10 pounds) for years. Last year I due to a variety of circumstances in my life I was put on anti-anxiety medications which made me balloon up to 206.8 pounds in about 8 months. I had gained about 60 pounds. Last November I had decided to go off the anti-anxiety medication because I felt fatter than ever which was in turn making me feel very depressed. I have since went from 206.8 pounds to 174 pounds (about 32 pounds lost so far). I am going to keep going! I feel so much happier and healthier. I still want to lose about another 30-40 pounds. I lose about 4-5 pounds a month which is good enough for me. It is better than gaining weight. I have been reading these message boards for years. I am so happy that I have finally decided to post. I am hoping to make some new buddies and create a new support system for myself.
emily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #333
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MommyKat2004
Stats: 148/148/125
WOE: Low Carb All Natural
Start Date: May 13 2013
Hi there-
I am excited to be here.
I have always enjoyed Low Carb diets and lose weight but always quit and went back to eating EVERYTHING.
I am hoping to find a lifestyle vs "diet"
Any ideas on which diet I should do? I love Atkins Induction but would love to do fruit too and all natural. Tricky but I am sure if its out there you all would know :-)
Nice to meet you LCF's
MommyKat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #334
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKat2004 View Post
Hi there-
I am excited to be here.
I have always enjoyed Low Carb diets and lose weight but always quit and went back to eating EVERYTHING.
I am hoping to find a lifestyle vs "diet"
Any ideas on which diet I should do? I love Atkins Induction but would love to do fruit too and all natural. Tricky but I am sure if its out there you all would know :-)
Nice to meet you LCF's
Welcome to the board. Fine to use natural indredients, but fruit is by nature high in carbohydrates for the most part. A bit of strawberries or cantalope from time to time would work out fine on low carb, but throw in an apple and a bannana and you would feed an insulin spike and hunger cravings. Some folks use JUDDD whuch alternates "up days" and "down days" which might allow the fruits on the higher carb days. Check the posts about it.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #335
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tilii
Stats: 182/174/140
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 6th May 2013
Thanks, again Chuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
Many report that uping your salt intake will greatly decrease the symptoms of "low carb flu". Apparently when we eat less than about 50 carbs we need more salt. It has only affected me for a couple days but, ymmv.
Did as you suggested and felt much better after drinkng throughout the day three cups of bouillon, I've kept that going even now on Day 9.

BTW - I lost eight pounds my first week! Induction rules!!!!!

I feel a difference in my clothes and am looking forward to losing all that extra weight, however fast or slow it comes off in the future.

It is interesting how much the diet has helped my health, no wonder my doctor was so eager for me to try ether this or the Paleo - a tummy can't ferment and cause problems if it doesn't have carbs and sugar. WOW! Love the diet, have the occasional craving but jelly and cream in small amounts and a caffeine free diet cola every now and then gets me through.

Thanks once again for your help and advice, it's very much appreciated.

Hope you're having a great week, tilii
tilii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #336
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MommyKat2004
Stats: 148/148/125
WOE: Low Carb All Natural
Start Date: May 13 2013
Hi everyone!
I just joined this week and finding this site wonderful. It is full of help.
I am trying to do All natural low carb. It is super hard.
I am trying to get my weight into the 120's. I am small boned and have always been tiny until I got married and had kids. I love the feeling of high energy from the low carb and love the clean feeling of all natural.
Any pointers I would love!!!
Oh I am from So Cal and am happily married and have 2 crazy kids. Super fun!

Last edited by MommyKat2004; 05-15-2013 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: want email notification turned on.
MommyKat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #337
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jlassiter252
Stats: 315/271/150
Start Date: February 2012
New girl in NC!

Good morning! My name is Jennifer and I found this forum/site when I was looking for a low-carb cheesecakes recipe this morning. I am currently revisiting the low carb lifestyle after taking a break from it...which I don't recommend. The scale finally moved today and I am finally getting my motivation back. I hope to make some new friends and get some fresh ideas to further my weight loss goals.

jlassiter252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #338
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emmapal
Hello from another newbie. My name is Emma, and we live in a suburb of Austin, Texas on a little homestead we are just finishing up renovating (totally gutted, lived in it, an 18 month ordeal). I am almost 37, 5'6" 143 lbs, homeschooling mother of 6 (and gave birth to my last child a year ago in this disaster of a house). We have about 20 hens, and 4 goats (one dairy nanny hopefully pregnant) with a big pyrenees guardian dog. I am a professional part time photographer specializing in weddings and real estate marketing.

Our diet history, we were Fit For Life vegans from 1998-2006, and while we lost weight (neither of us have been very overweight, my husband maybe 20 lbs, and me maybe 30 lbs), and were even able to maintain a low weight for several years, eventually we got bored of it, tired of so many veggie, then started to gain weight again from eating all the whole grain pasta, tortillas, bread, rice, beans, etc. So we switched to the Men's Health Abs Diet (sort of Paleo) and got into dabbling in bodybuilding: after my 5th child was born I lost all the weight in a few weeks. That's where I was reminded of the primal diet I had been exposed to years before in college in 1995, but didn't want to go that far.

I met Ray Audette at his home in Dallas in 1995 doing door-to-door sales, and thought he was crazy. I was skeptical of his bacon and egg and no exercising claims to say the least, and his falcon just put him over the edge of credibility! Despite my fascination after reading an article a few months prior about the Inuit 100% animal-based diet paradox and where they derive their nutrients, his Neanderthin message just got filed away for the next 20 years. When I first started hearing about primal/paleo my curiosity still just couldn't shake all the Atkins controversy and my low-fat upbringing.

We have done a low fat low carb diet (basically a miserable calorie restriction diet) for the past 7 years. Before becoming pregnant with my 6th child I stopped working out and gained 20 lbs, and with this house wasn't able to lose it even after giving birth. I just ended the alternate day fast diet these past few months (I lost 10 lbs the first week, then nothing for months, then even put a little back on, so my "feast" day went back to a moderate-cal day), and my husband made me stop while his parents were visiting because I was so irritable and depressed.

Walking out of the library about 2 months ago I saw Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It" on display, so I checked it out. I was really dreading finishing it after I realized it was a very low carb Atkins style diet, not then understanding it was only one step removed from what we were already doing. After reading it, I was really motivated to give it an honest try, and again the first week or two lost about 10 lbs (pretty typical for me on any new diet). Haven't lost any since (I had the flu and gained the weight back during my recovery because all I could hold down was toast, but then lost it again after I could get back on the diet).

My husband has zero desire to try this diet, but since I cook he goes along with it, and has started adding a lot more fat to his diet anyway. My teen daughter was scared after a recent physical that her BMI just creeped into the at-risk category, so she has lost a bit of weight and her skin has cleared up well over the past few weeks. She cheats a lot, though, because everyone is always treating teens to bribe them to attend any kind of event. She has struggled with her weight since she was 10 and prior to this has lost it using my low-cal diet, but I was uncomfortable with that for a teen still growing because it inhibits growth hormone, so I never let her try fasting other than the occasional religious fast.

So I am here to break this plateau for my last 5-10 lbs, always the most difficult to lose. I only exercise for farm chores because running gave me knee surgery and heavy lifting gave me RSI back and shoulder problems. I am back to what I weighed while we were body building, but all these years later and not lifting I am not as fit nor lean despite being the same weight.

Would love to share recipes and tips for fine tuning the diet for the last tough leg.

Last edited by emmapal; 05-16-2013 at 08:09 AM..
emmapal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #339
Senior LCF Member

Wow, a whole crop of newbees today!
all. You are at a good place for LC encouragement n support. Glad you joined us.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tgibbon45
Stats: 208/193.6/135
Start Date: 05/16/2013
Newbie again

I was a member years ago. I am back! My daughter and I have decided to go low carb and get this weight off for good.

I have about 80 pounds to lose and she has a couple hundred. I would like to look fabulous for my upcoming wedding August 31st, 2013.

Last edited by tgibbon45; 05-16-2013 at 11:23 AM..
tgibbon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #341
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mystyblue
Stats: 242/212/130
WOE: hHCG/JUDDD
Start Date: 02/15/2012/Judd 5/18/2013
Hi everyone!
I am new here. Started hHCG drops February of last year. they worked great the first time, but life has a way of bringing you back to reality. I have since tried 5 more times and have only lost an extra 15 lbs...nowhere near my goal weight...I am hoping a good support group is just what I need. I am 44 and have been on HRT since I was 21. I slowly gained all the weight as my adrenal gland shut down. I am now on a natural HRT and doing much better. I have looked that the rouge page and think I may need to try their methods...not sure. I have not been able to stay on protocol at all. Really hoping this helps!
mystyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spagirl116
Stats: 258/226.2/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: 5/1/2013
New from SD, CA

Hi all! I am Darla, newly started LC on 5/1/13 as of this morning, I've lost 10.4 I am already past the cravings and hope that this will be a life style change that I can keep going. My mini goal is to be down 15 by the end of the month. My long term goal is 108 pounds. Looking forward to the support from the threads here.

258/247.6/150
Spagirl116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #343
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: whistlemytune
WOE: Callanetics and Pilates
Start Date: 16th May 2013
Hello everyone!!

My name is Bex, I'm 27 and am a new mum of a 13 week old boy - my Valentine's Day baby. <3 I'm currently on maternity leave until September - I'm a nurse.

Before I was pregnant, I never worried about my weight, and was always a steady 9st (126lbs) in weight. Now, I'm probably about 9st 7lbs (133lbs), but haven't weighed myself in a while actually.

I am breastfeeding, which has really helped me get my figure back, and I walk a lot with the pram. I've just started Callanetics (I bought the 10 in 10 DVD) and also want to do Pilates in order to tone up. My diet is atrocious, but I'm not too keen on dieting too much, because of the breastfeeding. I just need to cut down my chocolate digestive intake!!

So that's where I'm at! Hoping to motivate and be motivated!
whistlemytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #344
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: raeblount
Stats: 214/180/155
Start Date: 4/14/2013
Hello
I am rather new to LC been active for about 5 weeks. So far the hardest thing forme is menu options. Over the past year I have had some major health issues that has caused to weight the pile on, not counting suffering from untreated hypothrodism. I have enjoyed LC and feel like I am learning my kitchen all over again. An extra motivation I have is my daughter is a Type I diabetic and I know the LC is best for her. I am hoping to be able to set an example for her.
raeblount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #345
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ImLisa
Stats: 166.3/161/140
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/19/2013
Hi

Hi,
My name is Lisa. I have had a hard time trying to find a place online to get involved in. Here is a little about me...
I will be 48 years old in June. I am 163lbs. This has always been my average weight. I got down to 150 last year, but obviously, did not stick to it.
I just got married in December and am extremely happy, but not comfortable with my weight. Low Carb has always been the best for me. I feel lots of energy and clarity of mind. I just need help on focusing to plan for my meals. I am terrible with planning and just go day by day, which makes it very difficult!
135-140lbs is my goal. I don't remember being in the 140's since before my 1st child 28 years ago!
I want to commit, and I am very competitive! Having buddies to work with is a good thing for me!
Hope to get connected on here!
ImLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #346
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
Start Date: May 16 2013
Never thought I'd say this but I'm back! I lost 80 pounds five years ago but 44 pounds have creeped back. I tried WW, moderation, starvation etc but realize a low-carb way of eating works best for me. I'm 6'4' at 244lbs with a goal of 210 and maybe 200. I started 4 days ago.
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Welcome Glenn and Lisa (and other newbies, I don't check everyday). Just jump right in, there are so many threads to have a look at. You will soon feel right at home and will benefit from a wealth of knowledge, experience and wisdom.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #348
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LoozingIt
Stats: 302/288.2/165
WOE: NoSugar/NoProcessed/LotsOfWater
Start Date: 1st, May, 2013
Hey everyone, I'm Rachel. I stumbled upon this board while I was searching for information about why there is soy in my canned tuna, ironically! I flipped through a few pages and thought, "Hmm, I'd like to be a part of this." So, I created my profile and am already pretty excited about all the progress and support I see here. I live in the Great Midwest, and finding affordable organic foods is almost impossible for me. I know many people around here have entirely organic diets, and I know that having a budget is key. My budget is tiny, and I usually end up buying produce from big name stores because I just cannot afford the organic food that I want. As of May 1, my husband and I have decided to discontinue the consumption of all processed foods and sugars. There is a long story behind that decision, but the short version is this: Hubby had a stent placed in an artery in his heart 3.26.12, (scared me to death) then proceeded to eat himself into a stupor thinking he was bringing himself out of a depression, I was doing just as much damage to myself with dark chocolate, ice cream, brownies, and almost every type of chocolatey food you can imagine. The scariest part of this was that he was 5'11" and 244 pounds, and the doctors never said he should lose any weight. They never even looked at me, his wife, and said anything despite my 5'6" frame on which I was carrying over 300 pounds on.
We are both former addicts, and we have both been clean since July, 2006. Despite our individual ability to understand addiction and utilize skills to remain clean, neither of us had considered that food addiction could be real.
So, here I am, one year and two months later, after having several epiphanies, wanting and perhaps even needing to be a part of something greater than myself. I don't have a big social circle, and maybe this will help me learn to be around people socially.
I have been learning about foods and cooking for about four years now, starting with my very first white chicken chili back in 2008. We got satellite t.v. in early 2008 and one morning Food Network happened to be on, and that's all it took! One cooking show and I was suddenly mincing garlic! Now, this is awesome because I had never prepared a meal in my life that didn't revolve completely around the microwave, and I had certainly never used a chef's knife before. I never even knew what ingredients were apart from the items used to make cookies. But now- Oh! I didn't even realize what a huge shift this was for me until recently. I was looking through the cupboards, pantry, fridge and freezer compiling a list of needs for the store and I stopped and thought, "Wow, I remember when my list was nothing but pre-packaged convenience foods.... not even an apple on the list..." and I was so proud of myself.
Our diet consists of good fats like avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, and nuts. We have three or four pieces of fresh fruit per day, as well as anywhere from three to six servings of fresh and frozen vegetables. I try to include fish or chicken (I try like mad to get antibiotic-free, cruelty-free) for dinners, and I use frozen berries a lot because they are so expensive when fresh. (I say "We" a lot, and this is because I am lucky enough to have a husband who eats any and everything I make.)
I consider veggies to be a "free" food, and even though we don't count calories, I know that if we did, this would still apply. So, breakfasts have berries, grapefruit, whole oats and some organic peanut butter. Lunches are usually left overs from the night before, (fish and chicken, each once per week, beans and/or lentils the other five nights) and include a filling salad of mixed greens, bells, radishes, cucumbers and homemade dressing, and a fruit.
Wow, I didn't expect to write so much! I suppose this shows how important all of this is to me.
I am 33, I have three amazing kids who are 13, 12 and 11. All three of them take after me, they are over weight. I really want to help them understand how important their health is, and that they are very capable of getting healthy. I know that they learn by observing others and so the best way I can teach them and help them learn is to get off my butt and change my life.
So, May 1st, I did just that.
I weigh in every Wednesday, at the doctor's office, so I know the scale is calibrated and my results will be consistent.
I started at 295 on May 1st, and on May 8th I was down to 292.3. Just last week on May 15th I was 288.2.
My goal is to loose 2.0-2.5 pounds per week. I do a lot of walking, both at a slightly higher than cardio pace, and at the highest cardio pace I get reach. I also do beginner pilates at home and resistance band strength training.
Those activities combined with drinking tons of water, (Not exactly tons, but an average of 96oz-144oz daily depending on activity level) and consuming absolutely no sugar, nothing processed, and very little grain or dairy are helping me reach my small weekly goals.
My long term goal is to have lost 81 pounds by February 1st, 2014. That will put me below my pre-pregnancy weight of 219.
At that point I will make a new set of goals.

So much for a short intro!!

~Rachel
LoozingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #349
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
WOE: Low Carb
Hello everyone. I've posted a few times but I haven't introduced myself (my account was created in 2009 but I just began posting recently).

I'm a long time follower of a low carb WOE. I went on Atkins 9 years ago, lost 90lbs. and kept it off for about 4 years (give or take a bit). Moving to another state, having kids and dealing with some major struggles in life has taken a toll (one of my children has leukemia and autism- leukemia is in remission but he's on chemo until Fall 2014). I've spent the last 5 years flip-flopping back and forth between LC and eating poorly. In 2011 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, in June of 2012 I hit my highest weight of all time, finally, my A1C reaching 10.8 this April served as a MAJOR wake-up call. I'm on track and I know there will be no falling off the wagon this time. I've lost a total of 48lbs. since June 2012, 11lbs. since getting serious about this WOE a little over 3 weeks ago. My blood sugars are coming down as well. I look forward to getting to a point where I feel good and don't need as many medications.

Just to be clear- when I was "eating poorly" I wasn't gorging on junk 24/7. I was eating a "typical" amount of carbs for the most part (of course I had some days where I'd binge; you do not reach the point of obesity without doing so). I actually gained on WW. I've always known LC is the only WOE that works for me, so here I am.

Last edited by kristenaz; 05-20-2013 at 03:52 PM..
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #350
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Welcome to the site to all the newbies!! I am sure you will find the support you are needing all over these boards!! There is a wealth of information on this site and so many members who have been super successful and are always happy to help so don't hesitate to ask!! If you need help with anything feel free to use the contact us button at the bottom of the page.

cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #351
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alexandra9
Hi everyone

My name is Alex, I'm 20 years old, and I have just re-started the Atkin's diet as of yesterday. I first tried it a couple of years ago, lost 9 pounds in a week, and then went back to my old ways - you'd think that 9 pound loss would be enough motivation to keep going, but it seems that I "relapse" with every diet I try.
I truly feel like I am addicted to food - and junk, at that. I eat even when I'm full just because it tastes good. I eat when I'm bored. And when I'm not eating, I think about what I'm going to eat later. It makes me happy in the moment, but then I crash.

I have an overall goal weight loss of 50 pounds. This would put me at around 140. It would be nice to get a large portion of that accomplished before the summer is over - I'd really like to head back to school with a new attitude and some confidence. Gaining all this weight these last couple of years has really taken a toll on that.

I was looking up some support groups for this diet because I don't want to just go at it alone. Most of my friends don't really understand what this is like. I think having supportive, encouraging people go through this with me could really help me through. I'm tired of living my life in an unhappy and unhealthy way. I'm tired of letting food run my life, because it really does. So, it's time for change I want to prove to myself that I can stick to something. Day 1 went really well, so here's to day two.

It is good to be here and I wish all of you the best of luck
Alexandra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Alex, you will find needed support here. Just jump right in and you will soon find places you really feel at home. Welcome!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #353
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alexandra9
Thank you, Bella!
Alexandra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #354
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: staystrong
hello

I am new to this site & am really enjoying it so far!! i was on medi for a long time! BUt it was getting SOOOOO expensive for me.. i had to stop.. i gained half the weight back and am EVER so hardly trying to take it off..
does anyone have any suggestions or anyone that quit and is still trying to do it "their" way??
i can still purchase the supplements but even those are expensive!!!
staystrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystrong View Post
I am new to this site & am really enjoying it so far!! i was on medi for a long time! BUt it was getting SOOOOO expensive for me.. i had to stop.. i gained half the weight back and am EVER so hardly trying to take it off..
does anyone have any suggestions or anyone that quit and is still trying to do it "their" way??
i can still purchase the supplements but even those are expensive!!!
Get a good book such as Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat, or Atkins' New Diet Revolution and find out a bit about why your body reacts to foods the way it does and what kinds of foods you can eat to break that cycle. There is no reason that a low carb healthy diet should be significantly more expensive than the the junk you are likely eating every day. There are lots of LC alternatives to an expensive food plan. Good luck and to the board.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #356
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: staystrong
Hi Chuck!
thank you soo MUCH!! I just jotted these down & am going to grab BOTH of these books! I LOVE this board!! SUCH a great support system here!! I am still doing the "diet" of Medi with ham/tuna/ added some cheese....... SCARED as anything to ADD anything to it.. but not losing.. its the PH that makes you lose the weight I believe.. Time to try something new..... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
staystrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #357
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: johnnierene
Stats: 144/144/118
WOE: Ketogenic Diet, Beat the Belly Fat
Start Date: restarted 5/21/2013
Hello Everyone

This is my second try at low carb. I have done other diets in the past without really sticking to anything, mostly because I didn't realistically need to lose any weight. Well, I have gained weight for the first time in my life other than when pregnant. I recently began seeing someone who is heavier, something I have never done. I love him to death, but his eating habits are horrible. I have always been a fairly healthy eater, lean meats, lots of veggies, and limited starch and sugar. Needless to say my new found friend is a carb and sugar addict. I have packed on about 22-25 lbs in the 6 months I have been seeing him. I am not blaming him, just saying that my eating habits have changed drastically. I went low carb about a month ago, went into ketosis fairly quickly, lost about 5 lbs in the 2 weeks that I was low carb, the longest I have ever stuck with anything like this. Then his birthday came around and it was over from there on out. I just started back low carb yesterday, and amazingly according to the stix, am showing in the small ketones. The problem is...I am starving. Last time I think I might have been eating to much cheese as I didn't lose that much, or I just hadn't stuck it out long enough for the infamous whoosh. I am open to any advice and any holy grail foods from everyone. Thank you so much. Oh, and I weighed between 118/120 and now weigh 142/144, and am 5'4", if that makes any difference.
johnnierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rita80
Stats: 178 / 173 / 138
Start Date: May 2013
Hi Everyone My name is Rita and I'm excited to be back! I was an avid LCF user in 2008. Since then I moved to Los Angeles and just graduated from College. Now I'm ready to jump back on the bandwagon!! so excited!

Rita
Rita80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #359
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
Hey, all! I've been lurking for a few months (okay, a few years)
And thought it was time that I introduced myself. Low carb has been a
Long, strange trip for me but I think that I've finally committed for life after
going on and off for years, giving up entirely and going on a reduced
Calorie/low fat diet that made me diabetic. Plus, I felt like crap every day.

With Atkins, I just keep feeling better and better. I'm not losing weight
as fast this time, but I am making slow progress. I do know that life is
better with this woe, no matter my weight, so I'm here to stay!

Oh, I'm also here to poach fabulous low carb recipes. You guys have serious talent!
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #360
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Donamo
Stats: 165/162/157
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: May 15, 2013
Cripes, another newbie!

Hi all

I have read the Taub books as well as a couple of others and feel LCHF is just plain healthier. I could lose about 5 pounds but I'm not really over weight. I have just started LCHF, about day 5 I guess.

I have Meniere's Disease which complicates things as I need to be really careful what I eat, i.e. no sauages or other cured meats, no nuts, low salt, no caffeine. I am interested in seeing if LCHF helps my Meniere's.

I just received my new Precision Xtra ketone meter and I am at 0.9 mmol/L which I had hoped would be higher as the only carbs I am getting are those in veggies.

Anyway, just saying hi!

don
Donamo is offline   Reply With Quote