LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #301
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skinnymama
Stats: 185/184/154
WOE: Ketogenic Mediterranean Diet
Start Date: May 1, 2013
Hello,
At 33 years of age, I was 40 pounds over weight and found the way to control my weight through the low fat, counting calories, processed food program. It worked for 7 years until I turned 40, then everything started changing. For 3.5 years and a lot of self medicating through online nutritional studying, I through out the multivitamin, learned how to cook, juice and eat Mediterranean, yet I found this year has been my all time low.

I'm one who got fat eating healthy on no processed food, no supplements or multivitamins. The 40 pounds are back and now at 44, exhausted, I'm returning to take some supplements, adding more protein including beef and trying the low carb approach hoping for success. I'm using a Mediterranean version from the Advanced Mediterranean Diet and new to the low carb diet world, just the 4th day into it.

Thank you in advance for the support group

Last edited by skinnymama; 05-04-2013 at 11:18 AM..
skinnymama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #302

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
skinnymamma
I wish you the best in your new low carb endeavors. These boards are great support, I am not sure if we have any area dedicated to Mediterranean Diet, but you might want to look into "Other Plans" along with exploring the more busy parts of the board (like the main lobby).
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: believer170
WOE: experimenting
Start Date: Aug 28 2004
Oh haaaayyyy

Hi everyone

I'm not really new I lost quite a bit of weight thanks to this forum. You can read all the books you want but the personal experiences and tips and support you'll find here is invaluable. I remember weighing around 260 and making this screen name half as a joke. 170-yeah right that's what I weighed in 6th grade. But it happened. Well actually it almost happened. I am a serial self sabotager so I hit 171.4 at my lowest. Ugh. That's gotta be my worst flaw, and I have many. Anyway, ill never forget slipping into the 190s and posting onederlnd!!! Here it was an incredible feeling and I felt like I had earned my membership to this board and could offer valuable advice to newcomers.

Well that was a few years ago. I'm proud to say I maintained a window of 178-188 for about 3 years, but I had to move back in with my mom and it's been a disaster. From aug to dec I went from 186 to 206. (I wanted to crawl in a hole) I've battled since December to fix that and I'm at 194 right now (10 day juice fast followed by low carb)

So I'm back. I'm introducing myself because its been so long. I have lots of knowledge on this woe and I look forward to actually hitting that 170 this time. Hopefully by July 1.

Cheers
Currently: 201
OFFICIALLY IN ONEDERLAND AS OF 7/6/09!!!!

New mini Goals:
1) 198
2) 188
believer170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #304
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hairdresserchick
Stats: 279
Hey Yall! Im Cindy.hmmm..where do I start? well,I had VSG in 2007,lost 90 lbs but gained back over half of it.I am Hypothyroid and I struggle so much to lose weight.I have been counting calories religiously for two weeks and have barely lost a pound.I know LC is a good option for me,I have had some success with it in the past.I had the big 4-0 in March and I have decided its time to take care of ME!! I will be coming here often for help and motivation! I am so impressed with all the information I have read here.You guys know your stuff and I look forward to learning from all of you!!
hairdresserchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Happy Cinco d Mayo and welcome to the board . You have found a good place for support and encouragement. My wife has no thyroid so I know that is tough. Wishing you the best of luck in your new woe.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #306

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairdresserchick View Post
Hey Yall! Im Cindy.hmmm..where do I start? well,I had VSG in 2007,lost 90 lbs but gained back over half of it.I am Hypothyroid and I struggle so much to lose weight.I have been counting calories religiously for two weeks and have barely lost a pound.I know LC is a good option for me,I have had some success with it in the past.I had the big 4-0 in March and I have decided its time to take care of ME!! I will be coming here often for help and motivation! I am so impressed with all the information I have read here.You guys know your stuff and I look forward to learning from all of you!!
I'd like to invite you to the WLS board... quite a few of us are way past the honey moon phase and know the daily battle against regain. No pressure, I just thought I would let you know it exists and that you are welcome there!

Here's the link to the May threads....
WLS Wagon - Time for May Flowers!
WLS What are we eating/doing today MAY?
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trinchick
Stats: 177/161/145
WOE: Mod carb (under 100g) whole foods - primalish?
Start Date: March 2013
Just registered today after a few days of lurking. I read Wheat Belly in March and have been eating low carb for about eight weeks now. I have lost nine pounds. I feel really good and hope I can keep it up until I reach my goal, which is to get at the high range of the normal BMI for my height and age - 32 pounds to lose total, so I'm more than a quarter of the way there already!

For WOE, I think I'm most closely following a primal diet. Just avoiding most processed foods. I've also been walking a few days a week and enjoying the spring sunshine.

We're planning a beach vacation for the end of August and I am looking forward to having the energy to play with my kids and feeling confident in my bathing suit.

About me: I'm 41 and a working mother to two fantastic kids (ages 2 and 8). Love my DH and have been urging him to join me in this way of eating, but he's been a hard sell so far!
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #308
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hairdresserchick
Stats: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I'd like to invite you to the WLS board... quite a few of us are way past the honey moon phase and know the daily battle against regain. No pressure, I just thought I would let you know it exists and that you are welcome there!

Here's the link to the May threads....
WLS Wagon - Time for May Flowers!
WLS What are we eating/doing today MAY?
Thanks so much!! I'll come on over :-)
hairdresserchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinchick View Post
Just registered today after a few days of lurking. . . . . .
About me: I'm 41 and a working mother to two fantastic kids (ages 2 and 8). Love my DH and have been urging him to join me in this way of eating, but he's been a hard sell so far!
Don't give up on him. Most of us guys need a bit of encouragement. Just cut some of the carby stuff you fix for him and give him some tasty lower carb alternatives and don't fight or lecture him about it. Love is lots more effective than threats and pressure.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trinchick
Stats: 177/161/145
WOE: Mod carb (under 100g) whole foods - primalish?
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
Don't give up on him. Most of us guys need a bit of encouragement. Just cut some of the carby stuff you fix for him and give him some tasty lower carb alternatives and don't fight or lecture him about it. Love is lots more effective than threats and pressure.
Oh, I don't nag him at all. And while I still make carbs for my family at dinner time, I have tried to cut back on their serving sizes and replace them with veggies. That doesn't stop DH from sitting on the couch with a whole bag of Goldfish after the kids have gone to bed, though. I silently cringe and bite my tongue!
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I hear you, trinchick. I generally do better when biting my tongue, and nearly alwasy regret it when I say something. Of course now that I am carrying too much weight I am less likely to even want to say something, as I need to tend to my own condition.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinchick View Post
Oh, I don't nag him at all. And while I still make carbs for my family at dinner time, I have tried to cut back on their serving sizes and replace them with veggies. That doesn't stop DH from sitting on the couch with a whole bag of Goldfish after the kids have gone to bed, though. I silently cringe and bite my tongue!
You sound like a wise woman.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #313
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cindyashley
Stats: 150/150/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/13; Restart 5/8/13; Restart Feb 2014
Hi everyone! I went with Atkins about 6 months ago for two weeks and lost 5 pounds. I was so happy but was worried about eating so much meat that I decided to go with a clean foods diet. It was loaded with fruits and vegetables. Well, I got my lab work today and my triglycerides were sky high and I haven't lost any more weight. Not even an ounce. So, I have decided to go back to Atkins! This time, when I get to the next level I will do it like you are supposed to do. It's funny that my cholesterol and triglycerides were lower on Atkins than on a diet loaded with fruits and veggies. I never thought that would be possible. I really enjoy reading all of your posts; they are so helpful and inspiring. Thanks to you all and Good Luck with your struggles to get healthy.
cindyashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #314
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cindyashley
Stats: 150/150/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/13; Restart 5/8/13; Restart Feb 2014
Quote:
Might want to rethink the "skinless chicken breasts". The LC requires a substantial fat intake to eliminate hunger and get your body burning fat instead of carbs or protein. Trimming the diatery fat too much may actually slow body fat loss and cause your body to burn protein instead of the body fat you want. Just my $.02 worth. Welcome to the board.
Wow, thanks Chuck. I never thought of that. The skinless chicken breasts have no flavor and are so dry. I am thrilled by your suggestion - definitely worth more than 2 cents!
cindyashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #315
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thatsmellsbad
I'm new here so work with me.

Demonica is my wife. Want to know anything about me then feel free to ask me!
thatsmellsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #316
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 3incollege
WOE: low carb
Start Date: May 2012
Hi everyone I've been lurking for a few weeks but decided to jump aboard. I'm 47 and my youngest child will be going away to college in the fall. I already have 2 in college so I will officially be an "empy nester". It's finally time to take care of ME instead of everyone else. I have about 40 lbs to lose to get to my goal and boy is it hard! I hope to find inspiration, motivation, and good practical advise. Thanks!!
3incollege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #317
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tilii
Stats: 182/174/140
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 6th May 2013
Low Carb Newbie and chronically sick, bedbound - on Atkins '72 for 3 days, love it!!!

:jump joy:

Am on Atkins '72, yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, I got myself together and read New Diet Revolution 2003, New Atkins- New You, then read here ( thank you!) about Atkins '72 and managed to get a cheap paperback copy online. Counted the days until it arrived.

I've been ill ever since I was little, so thought the zero(ish) carb attitude of the '72 would be best for me. Still do. That said, after reading all three books not to mention everything online that I could google my head is completely seeing . Seriously, I have so much Atkins info I can't process it all!!! LOL

I've always been around 10 stone, 5ft 7" but a bad root canal procedure last year left me able to eat (and keep down) only ground rice made with unsweetened soya milk (never added any sugar) and plain biscuits. If ever there were a walking advertisement for carbs adding STONES onto your bodyweight - I am it! I was hungry all the time. Day 3 and am noticing my hunger is waning, yay!

So I'm on Day three, not missing the hideous carbs at all, and trying to be as kind to myself as possible when I mess up and discover the Hellman's Mayonnaise I have been using has sugar in it.

Not sure how much to write, I have a couple of q's for the '72 group, so I'd like to wish Good Luck to everyone who is starting right now on whichever diet plan you have chosen and send you lots of love on your journey to your new slim and more importantly, healthy, self!

Hugs! tilii
tilii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #318
Junior LCF Member

Hello!

Hi 3 in college,

We have about the same amount to lose, lots of luck in taking good care of yourself, get pampering with all the delish meals these lowcarb diets offer.

tilii
Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

to the s! Best of luck to you. You have found a good source of support and inspiration here.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #320
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, Chuck41!

Quote:
to the s! Best of luck to you. You have found a good source of support and inspiration here.
What a lovely welcome, thank you so much!

Day four of Atkins '72 and I've lost 5 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can hardly believe the scales, it all happened last night, first I stood on them and had lost two pounds, then this morning, another two pounds loss, then this afternoon (I'm a newbie, couldn't resist!) another pound off. So, yippeee!

Hope you're having a great day, Chuck41, have a great weekend! tilii

Last edited by tilii; 05-10-2013 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: ETA: Chuck41, your weight loss is amazing! WTG!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Tilii, you are off to a great start. It won't always be that quick coming off, but it is certainly encouraging to see those first pounds melt away. This shows you that it does work. Remember that later when things slow a bit. Most of us tend to average a pound or two a week long time. Keep up the good work and before long you will start to enjoy a new you!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #322
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: notdebby
Stats: 170/164/125
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: May 2013
My husband started having trouble with blood sugar and cholesterol levels 3 years ago. We first became aware of the issue after he was turned down for life insurance because of these numbers. One year earlier he'd been approved for a different life insurance and his numbers were fine. We were trying to get all of our insurances; homeowners, car and life, with the same company. Around that time, I did talk him into going to see our GP but he wasn't super helpful just told him to cut back on saturated fat and added sugar.

Fast forward 3 years and now my husband is feeling absolutely terrible plus in addition to the cholesterol and blood sugar, he now has high blood pressure as well. It took a few weeks but I finally talked him into going to see a naturopath who diagnosed metabolic syndrome and put him on a modified Rosedale diet. He's been on induction for 2 1/2 weeks now and feels better than he's felt in years and his blood sugar and blood pressure are already coming down. The cholesterol will take a little longer. He's also lost 11 pounds.

I'm not sure about the rest of you but we can't afford to do two different grocery lists so I went ahead and put myself and our kids on the diet too. I'm not stupid, I realize that our kids, who are healthy and still growing, need a lot more carbs than my husband or I so I'm supplementing their meals with healthy higher carb foods like root vegetables, sprouted grain bread and a small amount of raw local honey for sweetener. Even they are doing much better. My daughter who has been plagued with keritosis pilaris for ages, is for the first time in a very long time, seeing a reduction in the size and number of bumps. My son, who I'd all but given up on ever eating a decent diet is trying new foods for the first time since he was a toddler. And not only is he trying them but he's liking them! He told me two days ago that he believed that all the sugar he'd been eating before had messed up his taste buds and I believe this. Plus there seems to be some research done that points to this as well.

As for me, I've lost about 6 pounds but I'm still trying to work things out. Two days into induction for me, I experienced severe heart arrhythmia, anxiety, dizziness, shakiness, brain fog... just a lot of bad things. I researched why this could be and came across a lot of information about adrenal fatigue and I'm pretty sure that's the problem and has been for years. My husband's naturopath seemed to agree and recommended a supplement to help. I'll be seeing him officially in 3 weeks.

I'm trying to figure out how many carbs I need to feel okay and still get my blood sugar down as well after finding that those with levels in the high normal range (which is where mine are at around 95 fasting) usually develop diabetes within 10 years. Wednesday I had only 35 carbs all day and felt terrible all day yesterday. Yesterday, I had 67 and woke up feeling much, much better today. We'll see how things go as the day goes along. Breakfast is a huge problem for me because not only am I not hungry in the morning but I'm nauseated as well. I'm forcing myself to eat a small breakfast each morning though and hopefully it will get better with time.

Last edited by notdebby; 05-10-2013 at 10:02 AM..
notdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #323
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, Chuck!

Quote:
Tilii, you are off to a great start. It won't always be that quick coming off, but it is certainly encouraging to see those first pounds melt away. This shows you that it does work. Remember that later when things slow a bit. Most of us tend to average a pound or two a week long time. Keep up the good work and before long you will start to enjoy a new you!
Quote:
I know, I'm in the 'honeymoon stage' where everything is wonderful and the fat is dropping off fast but I will definitely heed your advice when it slows: I do expect it to slow, especially as I can't exercise due to being ill.

But, I am so thrilled, weighed myself at 9pm tonight and had lost another pound, so that makes 6lbs in 4 days!!!!

Felt rotten all day today, maybe the carb 'flu or just my usual yukkiness, but to still lose weight shows what an amazing diet this is, plus never feeling deprived or hungry. I even had 2tsp double/heavy cream and 2 tsps sugar free jelly tonight! All those years I spent counting points at WW, struggling to keep between 10 and 11 stones and here there was this truly lovely diet out there all along.

I thank you kindly for your words of encouragement and experience and hope your weekend is awesome!!!
tilii
Old 05-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Many report that uping your salt intake will greatly decrease the symptoms of "low carb flu". Apparently when we eat less than about 50 carbs we need more salt. It has only affected me for a couple days but, ymmv.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #325
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 99fenix
Hello all. New member here from Virginia. I started doing low carb on April 8th. I got information on the primal diet from a co-worker and started it. I'm 5'9'' and started the diet at 264lbs. (I was 285 back in January, but I had to change that, hoping this diet accelerates me losses more). A little over a month and I am down to between 257-258, it fluctuates. As for my training program, I use something called AST. It is a low rep, high weight program as well as AST cardio. The cardio is a 16 minute, pedal to the metal workout (try to beat your previous time each session) I have put on some muscle and strenth (i do not carb up), yet my weight still sits around 258. I'm hoping it's just my body adjusting. I easily drink 1.5 gallons of water a day. Looking forward to getting new idea and learn new things from you all!
99fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #326
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirt_Road_Girl
Stats: 262/250.6/170
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Start Date: May 8, 2013
Hello all!

My name is Carrie, an I'm from Emporia, KS. I am on my 4th day of my new low carb lifestyle. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I've tried many weight loss plans, and couldn't seem to stick to any of them. After doing a lot of research, I decided to give low carb a try. My biggest issues and contributors to my weight problems are breads, rice, pasta and sweets. I decided that the smartest thing I could do is to cut them entirely from my life, since eating them in moderation was not working for me. Today is my fourth day without any of them, and I have to admit that I don't really miss them at all.
I am not following any specific low carb program, like Atkins or South Beach, but I have lowered my daily carb limit to 50 g. None of my carbs come from bread, rice, pasta or sweets!!! I'm using a calorie counting app called Lose It, to keep track of my daily carbs, and in doing so, I guess I'm also counting calories as well. Carbs are my main focus though.
According to my ketosticks, I have not reached ketosis yet. I'm only showing a trace amount. I'm not upset about this because (1) I haven't been exercising near enough, due to lack of energy and (2) I am still eating 50 g of carbs at the most per day, so that may not allow me to reach full ketosis.
I'm happy I found this site, and look forward to getting to know you guys and gals!!! Please know that I'm not here on a low carb kick. This is my new lifestyle, and I know it's the wisest decision I can make for my health.
Dirt_Road_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Carrie, to get started you should cut your carbs to the 20 - 30 range. Atkins calls that "induction" and it gets your body into a ketogenic state. Even at that rate it took me a couple weeks to paint the strips purple. Before I colored the first strip I had lost about 10#. It would help you to read Gary Taube's "Why we get fat - and what to do about it" or Atkins "New diet revolution" or both. Taube's book really revolutionized my life and I had already read most of the low carb books starting in 1964!
LC is really more of a different lifestyle than just a diet. I have chosen it because of the health benefits. I was on a track to heart disease and diabetes that is killing a number of my friends. I didn't want that road seriously enough to cement my resolve. I have not touched bread, sugar, most grain products and the like since December and for the most part don't miss them any more. YMMV.
to the board. Here you will find support, suggestions and encouragement.
250-213.5-195
Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #328
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sugarfix
Hi everyone!

I'm a 20 year old woman who has been overweight her entire life. I remember being plump even as a toddler, I was always bigger than my friends. I've been slowly packing on the pounds for the past 5 years, and now that I'm out of high school I'm hoping to take my life back to what it SHOULD be, and not what it could be! I'm starting @ 270 lbs and I'm hoping to get down to 125.

Thanks for having me!
sugarfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/183/125?
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2014 re-start
New to lowcarb, starting Monday

Hi Everyone!

I am starting the Atkins Diet on Monday after doing a low calorie diet for a month and having total failure with it. Here is a little information about me.

I am 5'5 185 pounds, I carry most of my weight in my belly like an apple. I have been struggling with my weight since I started taking a depression medication for the last 8 months. Prior to that, I was slim. I am no longer taking that medication, so I am hoping that a lowcarb lifestyle and exercise will help fix my metabolism.

I just started doing the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and walking for 2 hours a day on our nature trail. I have a few questions that I would like to post so that I can follow this diet correctly.

Sugar-free jello has 0 carbs so is this ok to snack on a few times a day?
I also love brisk pink lemonade and since that is full of sugar and carbs, is crystal light pink lemonade flavored drink with 0 carbs an ok substitute for this and do I need to limit this?

Any answers/suggestions would be appreciated!
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #330
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Welcome jerickson
Many people find they do better if they limit the artificial sweeteners, so you may want to choose the jell-o OR the drink, not both on a regular basis
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote