Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #271
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nate
Stats: 340/224/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
I wanted to start loeew carb diet and wonder if anyone had problems either it after gallbladder surgery?
Hi henderson,

I had my gallbladder removed in 2007 (was told it was a result of weight loss). I managed to be one of the lucky few that have a bile salt disorder as a result of losing my gallbladder. I started back on a low carb diet August 2012 and have had no problems losing, but I can definitely tell when I've consumed a meal with high amounts of fat (cramps/bloating from the bile salt). You can look up "bile salt diarrhea" and see if you have had any of the symptoms since your gallbladder removal. As always, if you are in doubt, ask your healthcare provider about low-carb dieting without a gallbladder. Good luck in your decision to try the low carb lifestyle - it really is a great way to improve your health and wellbeing.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #272
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shara
Hi, my name is Shara, I have popped in here many times looking for thoughts on various workout dvd's, just decided to join! I am currently having physiotherapy for an upper back/neck injury so trying to figure out what workouts I can do to avoid further injuring the area. I love fitness dvd's, have tried just about everything out there! Looking forward to discussing different workouts with you all!!
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #273
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristinp
Stats: 165/160/130
WOE: Calorie counting/exercising
Start Date: April 10th 2013
hi im new!

hello all my names Kristin...im sure you see my profile name..lol okay so I am kinda new at this. Its quite hard and I feel hungry sometimes, but ill just keep on trucking...think bathing suits. I also have a 3yold little girl who makes it super easy to keep active.. Im exercising and counting calories..i will chime in or ask questions.. just wanted to introduce myself so people aren't saying whos this chick with the sunglasses
kristinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #274
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaR
Stats: 269/257/170
WOE: Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: March 14, 2014
My name's Rhonda...I'm almost 47 and reached my all time high weight a couple months ago and decided the time is now. I'm about 16 1/2 weeks into Atkins (still doing induction) and I've lost 17 pounds.
This forum has been a huge help to me in several ways so I thought I'd introduce myself!
RhondaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #275
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carolyn8118
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 4/15/13
My name is Carolyn and I too am almost 47. I am at my all time hight right now. I just started South Beach this week. It's ok but I have not lost much weight. I started because a friend told me that Phase 1 helps you get over sugar cravings and that is what I have been battling this past year. This is day 5 and I have had no sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes. So far so good.
carolyn8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #276
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn8118 View Post
My name is Carolyn and I too am almost 47. I am at my all time hight right now. I just started South Beach this week. It's ok but I have not lost much weight. I started because a friend told me that Phase 1 helps you get over sugar cravings and that is what I have been battling this past year. This is day 5 and I have had no sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes. So far so good.
Carolyn, google 'jimmy moore julia ross carbs' for a great podcast about beating sugar/carb cravings.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #277
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rachiegrl6
Stats: 213.6/210.0/115 (5'2")
WOE: My Low Carb Way
Start Date: 4/21/2013
Hi there - I'm Rachel. I'm 27 and currently at my highest weight ever. I feel like I have an addiction to food and most likely an addiction to sweets, sugars, carbs. I've been researching low carb for a couple of weeks now and I think I'm going to get started with it today. Taking measurements, pictures, etc today and grocery shopping. I think I'm currently in the 210s and I have a wedding I'm in next January. I'd like to be 140 or lower by then. And then keep it off forever. I've lost motivation to do just about anything except sit on my rear, watched tv, and eat. I have a hard time doing things that I never used to give a thought to, my body aches and feels run down, and I constantly feel fat and ugly. This is no way to live. I've got to make the change and I've got to do it now.
rachiegrl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachiegrl6 View Post
Hi there - I'm Rachel. I'm 27 and currently at my highest weight ever. I feel like I have an addiction to food and most likely an addiction to sweets, sugars, carbs. I've been researching low carb for a couple of weeks now and I think I'm going to get started with it today. Taking measurements, pictures, etc today and grocery shopping. I think I'm currently in the 210s and I have a wedding I'm in next January. I'd like to be 140 or lower by then. And then keep it off forever. I've lost motivation to do just about anything except sit on my rear, watched tv, and eat. I have a hard time doing things that I never used to give a thought to, my body aches and feels run down, and I constantly feel fat and ugly. This is no way to live. I've got to make the change and I've got to do it now.
I think lots of us can identify with that run down feeling. As they say, "My get up and go had got up and went." Just walking up the hill from my pond was a major undertaking. That feeling went away for me pretty quickly. Hope you will find it similar. Don't waste any more of your life. It is too short to waste just thinking about it. Good luck. You have lots of support here.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #279
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pfair143
Stats: 214/?/?
WOE: Pollan: Eat food, mostly plants, not too much
Start Date: 4-14-2013
Hi. Been a lurker for a while but am in with a vengeance. Been fighting weight most of my life. It was always 20 lbs. Now its 50. Ok, realistically 70 but that number is just too scary for right now. Have been back on LC for a week and am finding it fairly easy to stay on. A couple of white knuckling hours but I won. But just like an alcoholic, one bite and I binge. At the age of 63 and highest weight yet at 214, fighting the monster is just getting old. Looking forward to counting down.
pfair143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfair143 View Post
Hi. Been a lurker for a while but am in with a vengeance. Been fighting weight most of my life. It was always 20 lbs. Now its 50. Ok, realistically 70 but that number is just too scary for right now. Have been back on LC for a week and am finding it fairly easy to stay on. A couple of white knuckling hours but I won. But just like an alcoholic, one bite and I binge. At the age of 63 and highest weight yet at 214, fighting the monster is just getting old. Looking forward to counting down.
Welcome to the board, and the world of LC. I used to think of dieting as a sacrifice, but have found the LC lifestyle to be a real satisfying way of life. I don't even feel deprived when the wife eats ice cream in front of me any more. I just grab a juicy old chicken leg or bag of pork rinds instead. I avoid even occasional high carb "treats" because as you observed it is just like "an alcoholic" one suggary treat calls out for four more.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #281
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome Chuck41. Will do the best that I can and take one day, one meal, one carb at the time.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #282
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Augie Doggie
Stats: 225/209/185 (5'10)
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: April 2, 2013
Hello All!

Navy Officer here stationed in San Diego, CA for the time being.

Although I've never had a problem with physical readiness standards, I have always been concerned about the long term consequences of carrying extra weight. I have especially felt it in my feet and joints lately when walking.

I started Adkins Phase I about three weeks ago. I down 15, from 225 to 210. I'm continuing with a hybrid of Phase I and Phase II for the time being, as I am very satisfied with the weight loss and for the first time in my life don't feel the need for sugar.

I only hope that my cholesterol drops as well. I know some research has shown that a low carb diet has this effect, but that remains to be seen. I sure do enjoy red meat and bacon on this diet

Anyway, I've enjoyed the recipes and I'll see about taking part in the message boards.

- Augie Doggie
Augie Doggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #283

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Welcome to LCF, Augie Doggie... you are off to a great start!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #284
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: niklivers
Stats: 224/205/168
Start Date: 25th March 2013
How much fat?

Hi,
I am now starting my 5th week of Atkins and am still in phase one.
Eating so many new and different foods and really enjoying my food.
However, I do not think i am eating enough fat and was reading about "fat bombs".
Can anyone give me an idea of how much fat we should have a day?
niklivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #285
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric
Stats: 220/210/145
WOE: LC/paleo
Start Date: March 2013
I found LCF when I was searching for answers concerning low carb eating. The answers I found were so helpful that I decided to become a "friend."
After 4 years of steadily gaining weight due to medications, age and hormones, I got my doctor's support in going low carb. My almost obsessive curiosity lead me towards more of a paleo, gluten free, low carb diet. Within weeks, my allergies, which are pretty severe during tree pollen season, disappeared and I haven't used my allergy meds one time! Not only that, but my doctor took me off most of my BP meds.
I have fallen in love with coconut - oil, milk, flour, toasted and use it in place of a lot of dairy. Anyone who shares the love of coconut and has some recipes they would like to share is most welcome to do so!
I definitely could use some inspiration for getting off my rear end and getting some exercise! I write and illustrate, so sitting is a must. I hate to admit that I'm pretty sedentary.
Thanks for all the great advice, even before I joined. I've learned a lot and it's saved my sanity more than a few times!
Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #286
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: junior1954
I'm one of those unfortunates who gets the munchies from carbs and binges-high glycemic rate foods and insulin spikes overcome my willpower. Started eating low carb based on Atkins in Dec. of 2010. Lost 65 lbs so far (male, 5'9", current age 58, went from 278 to 213). I love meat, eggs, olives and cheese and like veggies but sweets I can take or leave (I snack on sugar free Popsicles to get a "sweet" fix), so this diet works for me. I'm glad I found this site-lots of good recipes that simulate what I do miss-bread and pasta! Fortunately, I'm married to a great cook that loves to cook!
junior1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #287
Junior LCF Member

Hi Lyric,
I have just joined this site too. I also lean toward Paleo.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #288
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiga
Stats: 242/137/130
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: May 2011
Hi! I'm Tiffany. Been low carbing for 2 years and lost 110 lbs. yay I eat about 30 net at most a day and have just started running. The energy is incredible. Just wanted to say hi. I'm LC crazy a little
Tiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #289
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nh4forh20

Hi I'm a new member here, but I just recently inducted myself into ketosis again this past week since April 17,2013 to currently and have lost 10 lbs so far. I also have set my carb limit to <15g and only getting them from green sources like asparagus, artichoke hearts, green beans, spinach, salad greens, and the like. I am only allowing boneless skinless chicken breasts, eggs, and fish as my protein too. I am trying to stay on path I occasionally treat myself to pork rinds, ground sirlon, milanesa beef, and fajita beef with the addition of avacado and gucamole. Nothing too serious. My vices are low carb tortillas (whatever brand), dried cranberries/cherries, fruit, peanut butter, chocolate, cherries, all nut products, corn tortilla chips. I've eliminated all those foods and have had tremendous weight loss success. I think the key is letting go of those comfort foods that we have developed an emotional and psychological complex to. Its all in the mind.
nh4forh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #290
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nh4forh20
I run 5 miles a day during the week and 3 miles a day on the weekend. I do aerobics, calisthenics, yoga and pilates at an hour to 30 minutes a day everyday. Meditate and drink green tea, and all kinds of water (pure,tap,spring,distilled).
nh4forh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh4forh20 View Post
Hi I'm a new member here, but I just recently inducted myself into ketosis again this past week since April 17,2013 to currently and have lost 10 lbs so far. I also have set my carb limit to <15g and only getting them from green sources like asparagus, artichoke hearts, green beans, spinach, salad greens, and the like. I am only allowing boneless skinless chicken breasts, eggs, and fish as my protein too. I am trying to stay on path I occasionally treat myself to pork rinds, ground sirlon, milanesa beef, and fajita beef with the addition of avacado and gucamole. Nothing too serious. My vices are low carb tortillas (whatever brand), dried cranberries/cherries, fruit, peanut butter, chocolate, cherries, all nut products, corn tortilla chips. I've eliminated all those foods and have had tremendous weight loss success. I think the key is letting go of those comfort foods that we have developed an emotional and psychological complex to. Its all in the mind.
Might want to rethink the "skinless chicken breasts". The LC requires a substantial fat intake to eliminate hunger and get your body burning fat instead of carbs or protein. Trimming the diatery fat too much may actually slow body fat loss and cause your body to burn protein instead of the body fat you want. Just my $.02 worth. Welcome to the board.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #292
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 264/187/100
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2013
Hi everyone!
I'm Leonie from the Netherlands and started a low carb diet 4 days ago.
So far really enjoying it, yummy foods and lots of energy
I eat under 50 grams of carbs a day (most days about 20-ish), lots of dairy, protein, veg, etc.
I used to weigh 264lbs and now I weigh 187lbs, I lost weight with Weigh Watchers but lately my weight loss stalled/yoyo'd and it was time to switch things up, plus side to that is that this doesn't require a costly, monthly subscription to a website
My goal weight is about 100lbs give or take, I'm really short at barely 5'1" lol.
I love exercising and I own a ton of dvds as well as a treadmill, hula hoop and kettlebells.
Oerba_dia_Vanille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
Been reading for a while....

But I'm just now getting around to posting. I've been doing a serious HFLC lifestyle since January of 2012. I've lost about 90 pounds since then and am getting very close to my goal...well, actually, I'm lower than I ever thought I would be, but I'm letting my body decide what my final weight will be. I'm within 20 lbs. of what I was during high school, and that was over 40 years ago.

During my weight loss, I've discovered so much about my body and what does and does not work for me. It was a continual experimentation process to figure how what do to to lose weight, and then to keep the weight loss going. It was slow all the way, but because I feel better eating this way, I just kept plugging along.

So now I pretty much do a ketogenic diet--my body LOVES fat! On the rare occasions when I eat carbage, I don't feel very well at all, so it's pretty easy to get back to good eating.

I guess that's it in a nutshell...although it barely scratches the surface of what I've done in the past 18 months to learn about my body and how to make it decide to give up the fat and heal the metabolic syndrome.

Weezy
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #294
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: taboo1220
Stats: 232/215/165
WOE: Medi Weight
New to LCF and Medi! So excited...

Hi everyone!

I've been a virtual fan of this group for some time and I finally broke down and created a profile as I started on my weight loss journey for the Umpteenth time...this time though! I am very encouraged and motivated a bit differently. I know it is a marathon and not a sprint so my expectations are to make "reachable goals".

I began the year on Weight Watchers (that darn J-Hud got me in her commercials) - well that produced very slow results. I was 232 in January and was 226 when I finally began Medi. I had never heard of it but since my first appointment 2.5 weeks ago - I am now 216 (on my scale). That has been a HUGE motivator for me

I am changing up on my routine - I do 20 minutes on the treadmill 3 times a day - one full day of hard cardio and 3 times a week of strength training. I told my husband to hide the scale for at least 3 times out of the week. I am addicted to getting on it throughout the day. I love all the great recipes and testimonials in this group and looking forward to being a contributing member!

See ya on the healthy side...
Taboo!
taboo1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #295

Welcome Weezy, congrats on your success!

Welcome, Taboo1220, members here do all sorts of plans, I myself have done many variations of low carb. It's a great community.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #296
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sramirez6
Start Date: 4/15/2013
New Atkins member

Hi everyone,

I am here because I just recently started Atkins, again, and I need some support from like minded people. I know that low carb diets are no longer on trend and I am tired of the eye rolls and well meaning "low fat" advice.

I have been dieting off and on since I was 14. My weight has been a roller coaster ride since. I have tried and lost and regained more times than I can count. I have been in a serious low spot for the past 2 years as my serious restrictive behaviors gave way to binge eating. In the past two years, I tried multiple "low calorie" diets and failed within 2 days...THen I sought therapy and got my head together. I began eating intuitively and it was liberating. I spent several months getting my disorder in check. I began to realize what my body was telling me and began honoring it. That meant reducing carbs!

So here I am 2 weeks into Atkins again and realize that this is where I need to be. I feel great and my cravings and binges are seriously curbed. I have lost 8lbs already while never having to restrict or go hungry. I turn 25 this year, and I want this to be the year that I do it and stick with it! Sorry this was so long winded but I thought maybe someone here could relate to my story. Anyways, so happy to be here!
sramirez6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #297
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb

Please take a look around
This is a big site and there's a little something for everyone.
Jump in and join a challenge, check the specific diet sub-forums as well as the "other plans" board.
LCF has an extensive recipe section with user-driven recipes
As always, if you have any questions, there is a "contact us" link at the bottom of every page
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #298
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ninjalicious
Stats: 150/149/135
WOE: Atkins-induction
My name is Ninjalicious and I'm a carbaholic

Hello all!

I'm a new atkins inductee. I'm on day 3 of the induction phase and doing pretty well. I've done South beach, WW, etc. I cut gluten entirely a few months ago hoping to cure an auto immune disease I've been dealing with. I came across the Atkins diet and it sparked my interest. I had some of the preconcieved notions about it like everyone does, but after reading the book decided to give it a shot. It's TOTALLY different than any other 'diet' I've tried and failed which is 99% of the reason I'm giving it a shot. Going from low fat, whole grains, a ton of fruits/veggies etc. to no carbs, high (heathy) fat, and minimal produce. I honestly feel like I'm cheating or not on a diet at all so it should be interesting. mmmmm.... full fat cheese!

It's nice to find somewhere that I can come to find people on the same page as well as alot of delicious recipes and FOOD PORN!!
Ninjalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #299

Welcome, Ninja! I love your enthusiasm.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I will be (mostly) fun, Ninja.