Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Has anyone else had less breakouts since changing to LC? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802199-has-anyone-else-had-less-breakouts-since-changing-lc.html)

lanita 04-15-2013 01:22 PM

Has anyone else had less breakouts since changing to LC?

Hi! I do Atkins. I began March 12. I've noticed a couple things about my skin since I started. My skin is way less dry than it has always been. I can really see the difference in my face and my hands. I also am not having as many pimples pop up. I don't really get acne much- usually a minor pimple in the chin area maybe twice a month, randomly.. But I have had super clear skin that feels really comfortable and not dry or pimpled. Is this common?

Arctic_Mama 04-15-2013 01:48 PM

Absolutely. Many of the foods that are limited or abstained from in LC contribute to the hormonal imbalances and reactions that cause skin flares. I haven't had a huge breakout since going LC. A few whiteheads here and there, but nothing like before :)

lanita 04-15-2013 02:00 PM

I'm really pleased with this "side effect"! I have read DANDR a couple of times, but I don't remember reading that skin improvements were to be expected.

Mistizoom 04-15-2013 02:33 PM

Yes, my skin is doing better on LC!

cmcd1070 04-15-2013 02:38 PM

I have a condition called PCOS and also Insulin Resistance. One of the (in my opinion, major) complications of my condition is adult acne. I have taken every medication available and every topical soap\ointment\cream on the market prescription and OTC.
I used to get rash like tiny pimples all over my forehead, temples and hairline and more serious pimples on my chin area and very rarely one on my cheek.
My skin used to be so oily I would have to go to the restroom several times per day to clean off the excess oil with paper towels and could not wear makeup ever.

When I am on Atkins my skin looks amazing. It's not oily. No pimples, no acne, no breakouts. I'm not on any medication for my acne or using any special products, just a face soap OTC.

For me, this is one of the many many benefits of low carbing, not JUST the weight loss!

nolcjunk 04-15-2013 03:44 PM

And, limiting dairy makes it even better.

A&F 04-15-2013 04:03 PM

My face has cleared up, but my back and upper arms are breaking out.

peretroika 04-15-2013 05:35 PM

YES. it's awesome! I barely wear foundation anymore.

lanita 04-15-2013 06:22 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I had wondered if it was all in my head. :hyst:

BSR3 04-17-2013 07:45 PM

My rosacea is controlled! I was able to go off the antibiotic I had been taking for it within 3 weeks of starting Atkins. I am now off the topical medication. This side effect of the diet is one of the reasons I don't cheat. And have no desire to cheat.

lanita 04-18-2013 09:02 PM

That's so great! Any time a person can healthfully find a way to reduce medicines, it's a good thing.