Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Measuring Salad Dressing (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802184-measuring-salad-dressing.html)

raindroproses 04-15-2013 09:27 AM

Measuring Salad Dressing

This may be a silly question, but now that I'm looking into making more salads at home I figured I may as well ask... how do you all measure your salad dressing to log it in your food tracker? I know the Ken's dressings I have (and most dressings anyway, it seems like) have a serving size of 2T. Do you guys usually pour the dressing into your tablespoon measuring spoon twice and measure it that way? Or do you use your kitchen scale somehow to measure it in grams (which I believe say 30g on the bottle)?

The different ways of measuring food are just one of the things that I haven't yet mastered, because logging my meals is still pretty new to me... but I'm learning! :laugh:

Strawberry 04-15-2013 09:37 AM

If I'm measuring, I use the tablespoon measure.

(generally I just eyeball it though)

nolcjunk 04-15-2013 09:38 AM

I know that my tablespoons are equal to a tablespoon (they aren't those oversized ones). So I just pour evoo on a spoon, put on my salad, and do it again and those are my 2 tablespoons.

Love&Luck 04-15-2013 10:10 AM

I always weigh it -- I can't be trusted to eyeball. If I'm eating the salad immediately I like to put it on the lettuce but before the toppings (it feels like to goes further vs forking it). Otherwise I put the dressing in a container and into the feedsack it goes for lunch the next day.

astribling 04-15-2013 10:40 AM

I always weigh it. My scale is always on the counter. I set my bowl on it and then weight everything as it goes in. Easy! and I don't dirty extra utensils and measuring cups, etc.

Trillex 04-15-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astribling (Post 16374391)
I always weigh it. My scale is always on the counter. I set my bowl on it and then weight everything as it goes in. Easy! and I don't dirty extra utensils and measuring cups, etc.

We are twins! That's totally what I do. I'm doing small amounts for salad dressings, so I measure in grams.

raindroproses 04-15-2013 11:00 AM

Huh, seems like everyone does it differently! Today I wound up using my tablespoon measure, but I wonder how accurate I really am with it since the dressing is thick and you want to ideally make the tablespoons level. I may try weighing it tomorrow for lunch, and see where that takes me. I definitely can't measure everything out in the same bowl though because I like to thin my dressing out with a little bit of water after measuring it to make it go farther... most salad dressings are just SUPER thick! :)

Blue Skies 04-15-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16374432)
Huh, most salad dressings are just SUPER thick! :)

Hey raindroproses, don't know how you feel about a good vinegarette, but if you like them I think they give you a lot more bang for your 2 TBS. if that's what you're keeping it to. A vinegarette can be tossed well and easily, the whole salad gets coated, instead of getting a glop of thick dressing with one bite and hardly any with the next.

I make my own vinegarettes, so easy, and so many ways to change it up. Plus, I know there's no sugar in it that way. (If you like a touch of sugar in your vinegarette you can always add a sweetener.) It is possible to make a great tasting vinegarette with virtually no carbs, so then you don't have to worry about measuring out anything, just add the amt that tastes good to you.

raindroproses 04-15-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16374503)
Hey raindroproses, don't know how you feel about a good vinegarette, but if you like them I think they give you a lot more bang for your 2 TBS. if that's what you're keeping it to. A vinegarette can be tossed well and easily, the whole salad gets coated, instead of getting a glop of thick dressing with one bite and hardly any with the next.

I make my own vinegarettes, so easy, and so many ways to change it up. Plus, I know there's no sugar in it that way. (If you like a touch of sugar in your vinegarette you can always add a sweetener.) It is possible to make a great tasting vinegarette with virtually no carbs, so then you don't have to worry about measuring out anything, just add the amt that tastes good to you.

True, I used to LOVE vinaigrettes when I wasn't LC but all the ones I enjoyed were obviously quite sugary. I did make an Asian style one once that I really enjoyed, but it's usually just easier for me to pour something out of a bottle anymore :laugh: I'll probably try my hand at making another vinaigrette some time when I've got more energy though... they were pretty tasty :) I just love me some ranch, and caesar, and blue cheese now too!

rubidoux 04-15-2013 12:04 PM

For creamy-type dressings I use a tablespoon. Vinaigrette s drive me crazy back feel like they can't really be measured -- they are so separate-y that I'm always afraid I'm not getting the right amounts of oily and vinagary stuff. I still use tablespoons, but I just have no confidence in the outcome. lol

MargD 04-15-2013 01:09 PM

I always weigh. It's more accurate and I don't like dirtying measuring cups and measuring spoons.

Janknitz 04-15-2013 01:24 PM

I don't particularly worry about calories or fat, so I just add it in to taste and guesstimate. I don't like a salad drowning in dressing, so I'm not apt to overdo.

As a matter of fact, I prefer the old weight watchers trick: Have the dressing on the side and dip your fork in it before you take a bite of salad. I almost always do that for commercial dressings, because they have PUFA's in them. For homemade dressings, I usually measure it as I'm making it, so I have a good idea of how much.

Patience 04-15-2013 01:34 PM

I don't measure, maybe I should.
I usually get a packaged dressing with low carbs and no sugar.
I pay attention to what oils are being used.
Otherwise I just use oil and vinegar.

JQuintero 04-15-2013 03:48 PM

I have those small tupperware doo-dads for holding dressing. It has measurments 1oz, 2oz on the side.

I also have a shot glass that has all the measurements (ml, oz, and so on) on the side.

Jrw85705 04-15-2013 06:36 PM

I weigh everything as it goes into my salad bowl. It's the only way I know exactly what I'm eating. I have to admit I'm not fond of prepare dressings so I make my own oil, vinegar and mustard dressing and I use a measuring spoon when I add it.

I also weigh every meal I prepare. I try not to be too anal about it and if we go out I just estimate what I might have consumed. I find it makes it easier keep a handle on my food.

walkingwoman 04-15-2013 07:46 PM

I bought some little containers at the 99 cents store and measure it out that way. Then I can just grab one and it's already measured. I do this with other things too. Makes it super simple and accurate for my food log.

bdladie 04-15-2013 07:52 PM

I use a clean medicine cup. 2T on the side make it pretty easy.

Deosil 04-15-2013 08:13 PM

I have a small cup (like one of the little white cups they serve seafood sauce, butter and things in at places like Red Lobster) that I always fill and use to dip my salad into so I don't overuse the dressing.

coffeelover 04-16-2013 06:16 AM

I just eyeball it. :)

raindroproses 04-16-2013 07:54 AM

I guess it wasn't such a silly question after all then, seeing all the different responses people have been giving! :) Yesterday I used the tablespoon measure twice... today I might try weighing it, just to try something different. I know I definitely shouldn't be the type to eyeball it because I can't be trusted not to overdo it :laugh: I used to do the dipping of the fork thing though, so I could always try that again if I wanted to... I usually don't mind the extra dressing though because I'm looking to consume more fat, it's just the SODIUM that kills me when I go beyond one serving of it unfortunately!

I find that I don't get that glob of dressing on one bite/nothing on the other problem with the creamy dressings though if I do thin them out with a little water first... I'm pretty sure that's what they do at buffets and salad bars at restaurants, because the ranch there is always really easy to ladle on whereas at home it's always thick out of the bottle. When I thin it out a little and stir it, it's just like the stuff at the salad bar :)

Demonica 04-16-2013 08:26 AM

I use my tablespoons. But I don't use regular salad dressing very often anymore. I use EVOO and ACV.

Jannybunny 04-16-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16374206)
If I'm measuring, I use the tablespoon measure.

(generally I just eyeball it though)

This is what I do

Arctic_Mama 04-16-2013 01:42 PM

With prepackaged dressings I measure in grams. With a recipe I've made myself I measure the full volume of the whole recipe, and divide by the number of servings in it (like there are 20 tbsp in my favorite homemade vinaigrette), so that then gets portioned out volumetrically instead of by weight.

TammySue 04-17-2013 06:58 AM

I use a tablespoon.