Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   what women look like at various weights and heights (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802171-what-women-look-like-various-weights-heights.html)

Mrs S 04-15-2013 07:04 AM

what women look like at various weights and heights

I was looking for inspiration photos this weekend and came across a site that is really cool. Regular people submit photos with their weight and height info into a searchable database. So you can choose weight, height, body shape, etc to view pics. I'm not sure I can post a link but the site is mybodygallery.

princessmommy 04-15-2013 07:16 AM

Very cool! Thanks!

raindroproses 04-15-2013 07:19 AM

Thank you for posting this! It's great to see how REAL women are shaped, both at my current weight AND at my goal weight... it gives a better picture of what I'm aspiring to than any other site I've seen :)

Mrs S 04-15-2013 07:23 AM

Raindroproses, that's exactly what I was looking for too, to help see what I might look like near my goal weight and maybe adjust goal accordingly. Kudos to the ladies who generously and bravely posts their pics in bras and panties. I don't think I could do that.

raindroproses 04-15-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs S (Post 16373873)
Raindroproses, that's exactly what I was looking for too, to help see what I might look like near my goal weight and maybe adjust goal accordingly. Kudos to the ladies who generously and bravely posts their pics in bras and panties. I don't think I could do that.

I don't know if I'd be brave enough either! It really is a great resource though, and I was surprised to see just how different some of the weight categories looked versus what I thought they'd look like... and not only that, but seeing what size pants certain women wore while having the appearance that they did. I think society just teaches us that a smaller number is more desirable and the only way to look GOOD... but man, there were women on there ROCKING some jeans that were the size I'm in or bigger on there! It's just great to see, and great to know what's HEALTHY versus what impossible expectations society puts on women for a change :)

Although I do have one bit of confusion... has anyone else ever heard of being a banana shape? :stars: I've seen pear, apple, and hourglass... but banana was new to me! I'm trying to figure out what that looks like! I'm guessing maybe that's narrow frame all over?

Knittering 04-15-2013 09:01 AM

Dang, I wish I were a pear!!

Mistizoom 04-15-2013 09:35 AM

Very cool! Thanks for the link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 16374125)
Dang, I wish I were a pear!!

LOL. I am pear shaped. I looked at the clothing sizes of women who seem to have the same shape/weight/height and I still wonder how they are wearing sizes that are so much smaller than mine!

Mistizoom 04-15-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16374045)
Although I do have one bit of confusion... has anyone else ever heard of being a banana shape? :stars: I've seen pear, apple, and hourglass... but banana was new to me! I'm trying to figure out what that looks like! I'm guessing maybe that's narrow frame all over?

I was wondering that myself! I guess they mean straight up and down/rectangle shape. Not a triangle, inverted triangle, or circle. :)

nolcjunk 04-15-2013 09:42 AM

Some of those pictures are hilarious because the women are wearing full on parkas and clothes that are very baggy and don't show any skin. Hard to tell what someone looks like in full on winter gear.

nolcjunk 04-15-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16374045)

A just looked this up - it's

The waist measurement is less than 9 inches smaller than the hips or bust measurement Body fat is distributed predominantly in the abdomen, buttocks, chest, and face. This overall fat distribution creates the typical ruler (straight) shape.

I think I might be a banana then, because all my extra weight went to my stomach and face and my entire body is pretty narrow.

Babydoll 04-15-2013 09:49 AM

That's an awesome site...thanks for sharing! ;)

Knittering 04-15-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

I am pear shaped. I looked at the clothing sizes of women who seem to have the same shape/weight/height and I still wonder how they are wearing sizes that are so much smaller than mine!
Yeah, I'm seriously side-eying some of the clothing size claims. Women my height/weight/shape who say they're in a ten or a twelve? I guess it depends entirely on where you shop. :)

I'm actually an apple that's been stuffed into a banana... :D

kiwistars 04-15-2013 01:05 PM

I'm a banana.Not only no 'junk in the trunk' it has been valet cleaned and vacuumed:)

walkingwoman 04-15-2013 10:05 PM

Great site! thanks :shake:

Mobird 04-16-2013 03:11 AM

I always knew I wasn't an apple or a pear, so I settled on rectangle. I had no idea I was a banana all this time.

I think the women at my size look fine, but I don't think the same when I look in the full length mirror at home. Maybe being critical of my body has become a habit. I'm within ten pounds of goal so this is something for me to think about--maintenance plus acceptance.

SkeeterN 04-16-2013 04:29 AM

Being only 4'10 they do not have a photo of anyone my height. So I put in 4'11 and seriously the people in these photo's who are supposedly my shape don't look like I look. I have too much behind, a pooch from my cesareans (that never goes away)

mom23kids 04-16-2013 06:16 AM

Thanks for the site, it was very reassuring to see others in my category! I was a bit nervous about dipping into the 120s, but seeing others in that range and looking good/normal made me breathe a bit easier. I especially loved seeing the women you could tell did strength training-that's my end goal and I've just started working on it this week :)

Deb34 04-16-2013 01:26 PM

I put in all my stats and only one photo match came up! really? only one other person that looks similar to me? yikes!

Rebecca1979 04-16-2013 01:46 PM

That is such a cool site!!! <3 Thanks for posting!

rubidoux 04-16-2013 05:42 PM

I have seen this site before, but always run across it on my iPhone meaning to look later on my computer -- and I finally did. :) It makes me really cranky with the whole stupid BMI thing. Sigh... I just did a search for 5'0" with any weight/size/shape and I am amazed at how good people look up to at least 150 pounds (this is the beginning of the obese category) and some even a little heavier. Almost none of the 5'0"/150 pounders even looked a little chubby. There was even a pic of a woman who was 5'0" and 190 who looked great.

It's funny bc when I was 150 pounds, I had some pics taken of me at a graduation and I was so floored by how insanely fat I looked. I mean, I was really, really upset by it. Then years later, as I'm gaining, gaining, gaining... I would look at myself in the mirror and wonder how I could have looked that bad bc even at around 190 I didn't look as bad as I remember those 150 pics. It is so hard to know what the "truth" of the matter could be. Even though now I'm sitting here feeling great at 177 pounds, I wince at the very thought of those 150 pound pics.

CTIgrad 04-16-2013 08:22 PM

Wonder if there is one out there for dudes....

lilbeetle 04-16-2013 09:13 PM

Great site, but a bit odd. I didnt really look like the girls in my weight range - more the ones 10 pounds less. I think maybe because i work out? The 150 pound girls were a lot more jiggly in the belly than I am. Bums were the same tho :)

Mrs S 04-17-2013 04:57 AM

Here's another one that has men and women.

Mrs S 04-17-2013 05:04 AM

And one for men. Not sure how extensive it is.

Aleina 04-17-2013 05:32 AM

Great site.Thanks for posting. One observation though is that people are brave in posting their photos but some seem they cannot bring themselves to tell their sizes . For example if you weigh 200 lbs are a pear shape you cannot fit into a size 42. I am not saying this to be nasty,only to avoid disappointment if you reach that goal and you are not the size you thought you might be.

Knittering 04-17-2013 06:16 AM

Aleina, I'm pretty sure that the sizing silliness on that site (200 pounds and a size eight... PLEASE!) is due to vanity sizing. They're telling their sizes, it's just that the clothing manufacturers are lying for them. ;)

kiwistars 04-17-2013 12:36 PM

and different countries have different systems as well as different stores.My NZ16 is somewhere between a US10-US14 depending on stores I believe.

Sizes are madness and mean nothing.

Mistizoom 04-18-2013 06:07 AM

So I went ahead and submitted a couple of photos to this site last night. The largest clothing sizes listed (US) are size 26 and size 3X (I think 54 European? I didn't pay that close of attention). So I imagine the clothing sizes are a bit off for those who have higher weights. Still doesn't explain how someone my height and weight and also pear shaped is fitting into a 1X top and size 20 pants when I am still in 2x-3x and size 26!

raindroproses 04-18-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16380320)
So I went ahead and submitted a couple of photos to this site last night. The largest clothing sizes listed (US) are size 26 and size 3X (I think 54 European? I didn't pay that close of attention). So I imagine the clothing sizes are a bit off for those who have higher weights. Still doesn't explain how someone my height and weight and also pear shaped is fitting into a 1X top and size 20 pants when I am still in 2x-3x and size 26!

Wondering if it's because they're wearing a certain brand that's much more kind with the vanity sizing then you are? I say this because I shop at Old Navy a lot, and while not ALL of their clothes are crazily vanity sized... a LOT of them are. Like seriously, I'm an hourglass (so you know I have a chest) and I'm 156 pounds. And a lot of shirts there, I wear a size S or XS. You know SOMETHING isn't right about that! :laugh:

Mistizoom 04-18-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16380488)
Wondering if it's because they're wearing a certain brand that's much more kind with the vanity sizing then you are? I say this because I shop at Old Navy a lot, and while not ALL of their clothes are crazily vanity sized... a LOT of them are. Like seriously, I'm an hourglass (so you know I have a chest) and I'm 156 pounds. And a lot of shirts there, I wear a size S or XS. You know SOMETHING isn't right about that! :laugh:

I guess I need to try Old Navy! I haven't really gone shopping since October, before I lost any weight, though I have tried on a few things at Walmart and Target. I'm the same size at those stores, so no vanity sizing there.