Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
Flax cracker. 2 T flax meal + 2T water. Spread on parchment paper thinly (yes it has to be parchment paper). Nuke 1-1 1/2 minutes until crispy. I like to add seeds of sesame, caraway, poppy, chia, and a bit of salt. Spread whatever you like on top. I like liver sausage and mayo with jalepenos.
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Avellaneda
Trader Joe's sells packets of Wasabi Seaweed snacks - salty, spicy, crunchy.... unbelievable! (zero carbs)
Avellaneda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
One of my standby crunches is a flax cracker, but I use the flax seeds.
Soak for at least an hour. I use one cup of flax seeds and approximately one cup of liquid. I typically add liquid aminos and sometimes some lemon juice to make up the cup of liquid (but I believe you can do it with just water and flax seed). I pour onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Bake a fairly low heat. I typically turn paper and all about 3/4 of the way through baking. I will sometimes at some flax flour if my mix after soaking is too runny. Spead thinly with a cheese or nut butter spread, or eat plain.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
lterry, what's your recipe for parmesan chips, just parm?
Yep...just Shredded parm i get in the refrigerator section by cheese...not the powdered kind...that is good for other stuff tho.

Shredded parmesan and powdered spices to taste. put little loose piles on parchment paper and bake at 400 till crispy. Make the piles thin and loose so the crisps turn out lacy...some will make these in muffin top pans.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/198/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
I baked some pepperoni slices in the oven crispy last night until they were nice and crispy...my daughters and I ate them all up. How yummy! Next time, I'm gonna try dipping them in some sour cream.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

I am going to try both the pepperoni slices and the parmesan cheese crisps.
It will be quite a while before I am bored with the WOE because there are so many things to tryout. Time to move beyond fat bombs.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PeeVee
Stats: started 280 down to 256 on WW now 253
WOE: atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Yep...just Shredded parm i get in the refrigerator section by cheese...not the powdered kind...that is good for other stuff tho.

Shredded parmesan and powdered spices to taste. put little loose piles on parchment paper and bake at 400 till crispy. Make the piles thin and loose so the crisps turn out lacy...some will make these in muffin top pans.
they sell these premade at my local grocer at very high prices, I hadn't thought to make some as a low carb snack, great idea thanks.
PeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
Owens Turkey sausage links rolled in Garden Vegetable cream cheese then roll in crushed Frenchs onion rings...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
I like kale chips, jicama strips with lime,celery sticks. I also eat dill pickle sunflower seeds on occ. And flat bread cut into strips and baked for chips and dip.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunCountry
Stats: 209/207/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Every morning
I love Ugly Green Beans! Google it for the recipe. Basically frozen green beans coated with olive oil and salt. Bake until dark and crispy. Watch carefully because they go from Awesome to Yucky quickly.

Sun.
SunCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeVee View Post
they sell these premade at my local grocer at very high prices, I hadn't thought to make some as a low carb snack, great idea thanks.
I do buy the high priced ones from netrition myself...if I run out I will make them. The store bought one are very good and crispy...sometimes they are almost too delicate and fall apart...that's what I add to salad for croutons or add to prok rinds with parmesan cheese for breading.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Recently tried pork rinds for the first time and after a bit of experimentation, I'm in heaven. Bought a couple different kinds, hot and spicy was too salty for me. The plain will be good for other recipes. But Old Dutch's Bac'n puffs are delicious just as is. Made a bowl of lemony guacamole with diced onions for lunch, and used the Bac'n puffs as dippers. Yummy---Totally as good as a potato chip or Dorito to me, need for salt and crunch completely satisfied.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
I like to slice up some smoked sausages, the hop with deli-sliced "tamed" jalape˝os
rotay60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Recently tried pork rinds for the first time and after a bit of experimentation, I'm in heaven. Bought a couple different kinds, hot and spicy was too salty for me. The plain will be good for other recipes. But Old Dutch's Bac'n puffs are delicious just as is. Made a bowl of lemony guacamole with diced onions for lunch, and used the Bac'n puffs as dippers. Yummy---Totally as good as a potato chip or Dorito to me, need for salt and crunch completely satisfied.
LOL, sorry to reply to myself. But I did want to note that upon re-reading this thread's initiating post, I noticed that poster excluded pork rinds from the list of solutions, having already decided pork rinds didn't do it.

So, sorry to jump right in about pork rinds. And yet, I think pork rinds can be awful, or wonderful. It takes some experimentation. There are SO many brands and flavors. First bag I bought, hot and spicy, I hated. But have now found a brand I think is delicious.

I think we on a LC woe need to experiment as much with LC food, such as pork rinds, as we were once willing to do with say, with your average candy bar. Some you love, some you don't.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #45
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I love thinly sliced kolhorabi. English cucumbers are great with salt.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #46
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Guss' fresh kosher dill spears - finally found pickles that don't contain food dyes.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #47
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:
LOL, sorry to reply to myself. But I did want to note that upon re-reading this thread's initiating post, I noticed that poster excluded pork rinds from the list of solutions, having already decided pork rinds didn't do it.

So, sorry to jump right in about pork rinds. And yet, I think pork rinds can be awful, or wonderful. It takes some experimentation. There are SO many brands and flavors. First bag I bought, hot and spicy, I hated. But have now found a brand I think is delicious.

I think we on a LC woe need to experiment as much with LC food, such as pork rinds, as we were once willing to do with say, with your average candy bar. Some you love, some you don't.
I'm glad you posted, actually, because it reminded me that I found microwave pork rinds that are better than the bagged kind. I do like the bagged kind, but like you said, it can be iffy what you get. the microwave pork rinds are always fresh cause you make them right before you eat them. And I found that if some of them come out kinda hard, you can just put them back into the nuker to "finish" them off and they puff up the rest of the way. I had forgotten how tasty they are and I'm gonna go have a bag right now ( since my double batch of Kale Chips and Zuke Chips are not finished in the oven yet...)
Thanks for your accidental post!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z-Baby
Stats: 227/217/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 10/14/2013
I love pepperoni slices and shredded parm crisps! SO YUMMY!
Z-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I'm glad you posted, actually, because it reminded me that I found microwave pork rinds that are better than the bagged kind. I do like the bagged kind, but like you said, it can be iffy what you get. the microwave pork rinds are always fresh cause you make them right before you eat them. And I found that if some of them come out kinda hard, you can just put them back into the nuker to "finish" them off and they puff up the rest of the way. I had forgotten how tasty they are and I'm gonna go have a bag right now ( since my double batch of Kale Chips and Zuke Chips are not finished in the oven yet...)
Thanks for your accidental post!
Wowza, metqa, you're telling me they have microwaved pork rinds?!?!? Never heard of such a thing, and have never seen them, although I haven't been looking because I didn't know they existed.

I'd be open to the trying them, but in general worry about microwave chemicals in popcorn. Do you think these are any better?

Also, I've not run into any "hard" pork rinds, although I've read about them here. But then my experience w/pork rinds isn't huge. Curiously, I used some Durkees french fried onion rings, very sparingly on the top of a chicken/cheese/brocolli casserole last night, and ran into a lot hard lumps.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #50

If you look at my post the words are highlighted in blue, that means that Netrition carries them . It's the same brand I get locally. They have spicy and regular.
I don't think they have the same ingredients as microwave popcorn as it is something that makes it butter flavor and the pork rinds don't have that.

I've never had lumpy fried onions! Thanks for the warning! LOL

Tonight I made a triple batch of Kale Chips - Parmesan, Sesame and salt, and soy and nutritional yeast, and Two batches of Zucchini chips - Montreal Chicken flavor and Sour cream and Onion. I've got one more Sour Cream onion batch in the oven now. Now I have 5 Gladlock Containers with crispy snacks of all sorts of flavors!

Oh and someone had an idea ( maybe Cleo, I can't recall right now) for dehydrating all the toppings you normally put on pizza and making a pizza trail mix. I'm dehydrating sliced tomato, sliced black olives and sliced mushroom. Later I'm gonna dry some bell pepper rings and spinach leaves. When they are dry, I'll toss them with some pepperoni slices and I can take a pouch of that along with some mozzerella string cheese for a pizza snack on the go!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Pizza trail mix . . . what a fantastic idea.
I am moving toward a decision on a food dehydator.
By summer and garden time, I should have moved into a tomato ok phase, What a treat.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kitnmom
Stats: 235/198/160ish again
WOE: Atkins, Love that man!
Start Date: September 15, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinlove56 View Post
Owens Turkey sausage links rolled in Garden Vegetable cream cheese then roll in crushed Frenchs onion rings...
Are Frenches onion rings legal???? Please Please say yes!
kitnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

I love Almond thins, Nuts i know but you can flavor them sweet or salty or spicy and they are super quick. Peperoni chips, cheese crackers, celery and supremely spicy hummus, celery with laughing cow,
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitnmom View Post
Are Frenches onion rings legal???? Please Please say yes!
Not sure what you mean by "Frenches onion rings." I'm talking about those cans of french fried onions, like Durkee's. They are 3 grams of carbs for 2 Tablespoons. I used 4 tablespoons with crunched up bacon on the top of a big chicken brocolli and cheese casserole.

I figure per serving they were costing me about a gram of carbs, and boy, did it add to the flavor and crunchy goodness to a helping. To me that's so totally legal.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
I make cheese crisps with Farmer John mozzarella. They're good paired with pepperoni chips and a quarter tsp spaghetti sauce.
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #56

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "Frenches onion rings." I'm talking about those cans of french fried onions, like Durkee's. They are 3 grams of carbs for 2 Tablespoons. I used 4 tablespoons with crunched up bacon on the top of a big chicken brocolli and cheese casserole.

I figure per serving they were costing me about a gram of carbs, and boy, did it add to the flavor and crunchy goodness to a helping. To me that's so totally legal.
Frenches is just a commonly known Brand Name for the very same thing.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Frenches is just a commonly known Brand Name for the very same thing.
Thanks metqa. And I've added those microwave pork rinds to my netrition list.
Wish you didn't have to order so many till you know if you like them, but hell, the way I see this is it's a learning journey with a steep experimental curb at the beginning to learn and find what works for me. My #1 goal this time around on this woe is to find the fullest variety of good eating as I can. I love food, and that's not going to change. This time the woe is being tailored to who I am instead of being treated like a one size covers all proposition.

And hey, the idea of hot crackling crunchiness is not something I shun.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Sorry it's been awhile since I checked in, but I wanted to say thanks for the additional suggestions!
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Oh, I also meant to mention that I appreciate the discussion about pork rinds, even though I initially said I don't like them. I don't like any of the ones that I've been able to find and buy here locally. But I remember when I was a kid we would sometimes get ones that were made fresh at the state or county fair, fried right there and served hot. Now those were GOOD. So if I could find a brand that tasted like that, I'd buy them all the time! I've never seen the Old Dutch ones, or the microwave ones, so both of those might be worth a shot. Thanks!

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Yummy, i used to eat those like chips!