Old 04-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070;
It's no one else's fault I'm fat but my own and I have all the power in the world to change that if I would just take control of my eating. Which I am trying to do now, better late than never =)
I think it's time for fat people to stop saying this. It just does not make any sense. Unless you are the guy who invented the four food groups or the food pyramid, I just don't get how you can take credit.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I think it's time for fat people to stop saying this. It just does not make any sense. Unless you are the guy who invented the four food groups or the food pyramid, I just don't get how you can take credit.
Once someone knows about low carbing, it doesn't matter what the food pyramid says. Once someone has the knowledge, it's on them to put it into action, can't blame low fat, food pyramid, and the government anymore.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Once someone knows about low carbing, it doesn't matter what the food pyramid says. Once someone has the knowledge, it's on them to put it into action, can't blame low fat, food pyramid, and the government anymore.
Well, I have very little interest in blaming anyone, even the stupid food pyramid guy. But I did low carb for almost four years starting in 2000. I ate under 30 g a day (I did induction for about 3 mos, lost something like nine pounds in the first ten days), I was 15 pounds up in the end. I kept at it bc it was good for my blood sugar. It took me another ten years before I kinda started to hit on something that worked for me. But my doctors are still not really able to get behind it. And if you were my doc you wouldn't either, since I do not lose if I eat a substantial amount of veg. (I do have one doc who looks at me like I'm nuts and says "we'll, if its that important to you...")

I don't understand how you can say that if someone knows about low carb they are ow fully responsible. As sure of this as I am, and I'm pretty darned sure, I doubt myself and worry I'm doing the wrong thing all the time. I have recently stopped eating kerrygold and coconut oil bc I'm scared of saturated fat. I'm pretty sure it's good for me but I recently had some horrible health news and now I'm scared and don't know who to believe.

I think the whole idea of blaming someone for their weight issues is just mean spirited and narrow minded. Makes me feel sick to my stomach that people even think this way. God forbid we have a little compassion.

ETA: And if I was interested in blaming someone, why on earth wouldn't I blame the food pyramid guy??? I certainly didn't eat those snack wells bc I thought they were yummy. I did it bc I was trying to do the right thing. I wasnt born w a metabolism this terrible.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 04-15-2013 at 06:01 PM..
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #34
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
This part of your post is really triggering for me so I'm just going to say that reading it makes me very sad on a number of levels.
I hear you!

I once heard Gary Taubes say that it was very troubling to see the fat child lagging behind in gym class compared to all his thinner peers. It seems that well intentioned but ill informed adults think that they can exercise the fat out of the child. If only they would move more....they wouldn't be so fat....
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, I have very little interest in blaming anyone, even the stupid food pyramid guy. But I did low carb for almost four years starting in 2000. I ate under 30 g a day (I did induction for about 3 mos, lost something like nine pounds in the first ten days), I was 15 pounds up in the end. I kept at it bc it was good for my blood sugar. It took me another ten years before I kinda started to hit on something that worked for me. But my doctors are still not really able to get behind it. And if you were my doc you wouldn't either, since I do not lose if I eat a substantial amount of veg. (I do have one doc who looks at me like I'm nuts and says "we'll, if its that important to you...")

I think the whole idea of blaming someone for their weight issues is just mean spirited and narrow minded. Makes me feel sick to my stomach that people even think this way. God forbid we have a little compassion.

ETA: And if I was interested in blaming someone, why on earth wouldn't I blame the food pyramid guy??? I certainly didn't eat those snack wells bc I thought they were yummy. I did it bc I was trying to do the right thing. I was born w a metabolism this terrible.
The whole snack wells thing really confuses me- did people really think those nasty processed cookies were a healthy thing? It's like when those chips came out with that fake oil and people needed to bring a second pair of underwear just in case. Obviously, a terrible idea.

But, now you did find the right diet, right? That's what I mean, it doesn't have to be strict Atkins- but once you find that diet, you just have to put it into action and keep at it.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I hear you!

I once heard Gary Taubes say that it was very troubling to see the fat child lagging behind in gym class compared to all his thinner peers. It seems that well intentioned but ill informed adults think that they can exercise the fat out of the child. If only they would move more....they wouldn't be so fat....
No, the idea is that if the child is eating right they wouldnt get that big, and then they would be able to exercise and move their bodies. And, yes it is very troubling to see children who carry so much excess weight at such a young age. Kids are kids, parents make the choices, and it's their job to teach their kids to eat healthy and make sure they don't gain so much weight.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 04-15-2013 at 06:03 PM..
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The whole snack wells thing really confuses me- did people really think those nasty processed cookies were a healthy thing? It's like when those chips came out with that fake oil and people needed to bring a second pair of underwear just in case. Obviously, a terrible idea.

But, now you did find the right diet, right? That's what I mean, it doesn't have to be strict Atkins- but once you find that diet, you just have to put it into action and keep at it.
I really don't know if I've found the right diet. I feel like I have. It's one that allows me to lose weight. But I don't know if I'm strong enough to stay the course no matter who tells me it's going to kill me.

As for the snack wells and fake fat chips go, I actually don't know if I ever ate more than a handful of snack wells. I'm sure I did have more than my share of fat free frozen yogurt and I always felt like I was going up live forever after a meal of rice and beans or a meatless stir fry (chicken if I had to, but definitely white meat only!). You can act like all of the people who believed that fat was poison and if you had some, margarine was best, are just stupid and deserve to die young since they are the ones to blame, but having been there myself I understand why they are running out in droves to buy juicers.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I You can act like all of the people who believed that fat was poison and if you had some, margarine was best, are just stupid and deserve to die young since they are the ones to blame, but having been there myself I understand why they are running out in droves to buy juicers.
I didn't say anything even close to that so I don't know where you got that from?? Where did I say that people deserve to die? I also don't get the juicer reference/

I just found every special low fat food to be either disgusting or bland so I just never got the love for those things. Plus, cookies whether low fat or not, just don't seem like part of a healthy diet.

I hope your diet works. I think we all feel like that from time to time and worry about maintaining, but the good thing is that the longer you do it , the easier it becomes to stick to plan.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 04-15-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I didn't say anything even close to that so I don't know where you got that from?? Where did I say that people deserve to die? I also don't get the juicer reference/
I know that you didn't say it and I also know that it was unfair for me to attribute that to you. The truth of the matter is, though, that it is the logical conclusion. It is your fault/responsibility that your fat... and you caused your death. I know it sounds absurd. But I cannot tell you how many times someone finds out that I have diabetes and the first words out of their mouth are "I had an aunt (or cousin, or neighbor, or MIL) who had diabetes and she died a slow horrible death after having amputations (and other horrors told in great detail) but she ate chocolate cake all the time and refused to take care of herself," the implication being, so we don't have to feel bad about it, she kinda had it coming, what can ya do? Same story over and over and over and I have internalized to the point that I feel as if I've done something horrible to my children already by not having been perfect all along.... even though it is freaking impossible to be perfect.

If you're wondering what this has to do with your conversation... I don't see "it's your fault that your fat" as being a whole lot different than "it's your fault that your toes are falling off from diabetes." They are pretty similar problems with a lot of overlap.

Quote:
I just found every special low fat food to be either disgusting or bland so I just never got the love for those things. Plus, cookies whether low fat or not, just don't seem like part of a healthy diet.
I agree that they were wretched foods, but if you were around in the 80s and 90s (I'm thinking not, if you're not getting the juicer reference), you'd know that things like butter and cheese and steak and nuts were off limits and that you didn't have to eat snackwells or low fat whatevers, but the healthy alternative was pasta and bagels (w only a tiny smear of cream cheese if you were so brave). Either way, you end up in the same place. And I don't think it occurred to a lot of people that there was anything wrong w some pasta and tomato sauce or bagel with margarine and big slather of jelly. We really thought they were healthy. I seriously don't remember *anyone* saying anything different in the 80s. I know that Atkins was doing his thing somewhere, but I didn't have internet and didn't know anything about that. I suppose I was too busy learning how to shoot insulin and counting my 300 grams of carb per day and making sure I didn't get any more than about 20 g of fat.

Quote:
I hope your diet works. I think we all feel like that from time to time and worry about maintaining, but the good thing is that the longer you do it , the easier it becomes to stick to plan.
Thanks. I hope so, too, but right now I'm doing this messed up balancing act where I'm only half doing it because I am afraid they are right.

Last edited by rubidoux; 04-15-2013 at 08:11 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Oh I know all about juicing, because I loved to make vegetable juices as a kid. I just didn't get the connection in your post. And, of course I was around in the 80s and 90s, otherwise I would be 13.

Do you still tend to think that fat is bad? For me it just makes sense to eat everything that is an actual food, not an invention like margarine, and not things with 20 ingredients or faux foods like lc bread or fat free cheese.

Have you had your bloodwork done after 6 months on the diet? I think that really helps to see that what you are doing is the rightt hing.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #41
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
I had two friends when I was in my 20's that used to add supplemental weight gaining powder to their food. They were tall, extremely thin women and I would have LOVED to be that thin even for a day. I was a size 10 at the time and considered myself obese.

I think they had lower self-esteem due to being thin than I did being obese. I felt very sad for them that they couldn't just appreciate the luck they had been given. Of course my perception on the issue was skewed because I saw it all from the other side of the issue.

Now in our early 40's, both of these women are average weight and have to watch what they eat as they tend to gain weight only around their mid-section, which I imagine is equally akward.

I am still heavier than both of them and I carry my weight all over! But somehow I still have better self-esteem than they do. It's really all a matter of perception isn't it?

I have never begrudged people thinner than me. It's no one else's fault I'm fat but my own and I have all the power in the world to change that if I would just take control of my eating. Which I am trying to do now, better late than never =)
Have you read Rethinking Thin, by Gina Kolata? If not I highly recommend it-for many people losing weight is not about will power, knowledge, motivation, laziness, taking control etc etc, but instead research is coming out showing how much genetics plays a part, as well as Leptin. And also how many dieting plans set people up for failure. A very eye opening book on the history of dieting and obesity and why so many people fail at weight loss.

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-16-2013 at 06:23 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #42
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Have you read Rethinking Thin, by Gina Kolata? If not I highly recommend it-for many people losing weight is not about will power/ knowledge, motivation, laziness, taking control etc etc, but instead research is coming out showing how much genetics plays a part, as well as Leptin. And also how many dieting plans set people up for failure. A very eye opening book on the history of dieting and obesity and why so many people fail at weight loss.
Just to add to this great point, is Gary Taubes' book Why We Get Fat which is an revelation for many and that what plays the biggest part in fat accumulation is insulin and the foods that drive insulin are those that had the biggest wedge on the food pyramid.

For all those people who were trying to eat well and properly nourish their children by following that advice, and finding it was making them fatter and fatter.... this book will explain why. And as a bit of a hint.... it isn't because of some lack of character.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
I think that she (and some of us here - me included) have been heavier so long that we no longer have a realistic idea of a healthy weight.

I wonder what can be done to retrain our thinking.
I have actually pondered this conundrum...I think that as Americans, and I guess all Western societies have grown fatter, the perception of what is fat has changed. Seeing someone who is at a healthy weight with little excess fat is now 'Thin'. Some one who is at a very healthy weight i.e. no excess fat is now 'skinny' and seeing someone who is perhaps a tad underweight but still in the healthy range is now 'emaciated' it's all about the perception. The 'average' weight is now 'overweight' and if the projections are accurate (and they usually are) then 'obese' will be the new normal.
It's all those useless carbs killing us slowly
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Just to add to this great point, is Gary Taubes' book Why We Get Fat which is an revelation for many and that what plays the biggest part in fat accumulation is insulin and the foods that drive insulin are those that had the biggest wedge on the food pyramid.

For all those people who were trying to eat well and properly nourish their children by following that advice, and finding it was making them fatter and fatter.... this book will explain why. And as a bit of a hint.... it isn't because of some lack of character.

It really bothers me sometimes when I see people solely blaming the parents for their child's weight problem, like they force fast food or candy on them every day and never give them home cooked meals for them to have grown up that way. I'm not a mother myself, nor will I ever be... but I grew up as an overweight child and turned into an overweight adult. And while my mom definitely could have followed a healthier overall diet herself while she was alive and could have probably done some research into LC diets (I wish she would have back in the day) it just wasn't mainstream at the time, and STILL really isn't. She didn't HAVE the internet like I do. There just wasn't a lot of information out there for her to understand something like this, and WHY it works.

I do think there are parents out there who don't teach their kids proper nutrition, who never put in the effort to feed them anything but "garbage" foods and who harm their child's development in those ways... I've seen them, and I know some of them myself. But there are FAR more parents out there who follow what mainstream media considers to be healthy (chicken every day, whole grains, low fat veggie side dishes) who are confused as to why their children are overweight... and why they're overweight themselves usually. It's a perpetuation of false information by the news media and by doctors who don't know any better, and it's sad.

I don't know, I just wanted to throw that out there to defend moms when I saw that comment in that post... because it's spot on that many properly nourish their children according to that horrid food pyramid, and STILL get blamed for what's happening to their family like they're some kind of irresponsible monster for letting their child grow up overweight.

Good post, clackley
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post

I do think there are parents out there who don't teach their kids proper nutrition, who never put in the effort to feed them anything but "garbage" foods and who harm their child's development in those ways... I've seen them, and I know some of them myself. But there are FAR more parents out there who follow what mainstream media considers to be healthy (chicken every day, whole grains, low fat veggie side dishes) who are confused as to why their children are overweight... and why they're overweight themselves usually. It's a perpetuation of false information by the news media and by doctors who don't know any better, and it's sad.
I don't know, maybe it depends on the place. I see a lot of bad parenting when it comes to meals for kids- fast food everyday, snacks all day long, and tons of juice drinks and sodas. I grew up on homemade meals, no snacks (except fruit), and no junk in the house and I am so thankful that my mom took the time to do that despite working full time for a lot of my childhood. I mean we see it/hear it all the time- parents say they have to buy junk for kids because they want it, and they won't argue with them. Kids are not adults, you have to make good meals for them and model good behavior. I saw how my parents ate and that is how I ate too. I didn't get any special kid meals or indulgences like having cereal because I don't like the vegetables. Being a parent is a very hard but important job, and feeding your kids well and making sure they are active is a big part of healthy development.

Talking about lack of internet is a cop out- there were still nutrition books and libraries, the place where most people got most of their knowledge before the 2000s.

I'm worried about the next generation of kids, born to people that are in their 20s like me. People no longer know how to cook and don't want to take the time to do any food prep. Making eggs at home is considered too hard, and they'd much rather go and get an egg sandwich somewhere. I can't imagine what they will be feeding their kids.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 04-16-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Quote:
I take responsibility for being fat because I made choices knowing they were bad for me. I have insulin resistance. I was told in my mid 20's that I needed to eat a low carb diet. I ignored this. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic in my 30's and told to eat low carb, I again ignored it.

For some people food is food. For people like me, it is a drug. I used food like some people use drugs or alcohol. I would eat until I was in pain if I was stressed or angry.

2 years ago I paid $25K to have weight loss surgery. For 6 months before the surgery you are required to take classes with a nutritionist twice weekly. We were taught all about low carbing NO SUGAR!! and other rules.
Immediately after my new little pouch healed I started eating cotton candy because it was sugar, it disolves in your mouth and takes up very little space. Over a year I did manage to lose 65lbs in spite of living on a diet of Slurpees, Cotton Candy and licorice. Most people "dump" on sugar. I don't. I "dump" on fat.

So you can blame the food pyramid and maybe that's true for some people, but I guarantee you it isn't true for me. I knew exactly what I was doing. I didn't get here out of ignorance. I got here in spite of all evidence.

Now I'm 23 days clean from sugar and it's the longest I have ever gone in my life without a single grain of sugar. I'm learning new ways of coping with stress and anger and anxiety besides eating. Atkins is slow going when you can't do things like fat bombs but it's going and at least for today, I'm another day "clean" from sugar.
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
Let's not forget the schools and what they are serving the students. I'll take one example:

Low fat chocolate milk - 4 tsps of sugar

HONEY BUN!! - mmmm no nutritional info on package but lets just say - 8 tsp of sugar

OR

Low fat chocolate milk - 4 tsp of sugar

MULTIGRAIN cereal - 2 tsps of sugar

I'm only counting the sugar not the amount of carbs in each.

Before the kids step into the classroom this is what they are eating.
h82bl8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #48
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
I take responsibility for being fat because I made choices knowing they were bad for me. I have insulin resistance. I was told in my mid 20's that I needed to eat a low carb diet. I ignored this. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic in my 30's and told to eat low carb, I again ignored it.

For some people food is food. For people like me, it is a drug. I used food like some people use drugs or alcohol. I would eat until I was in pain if I was stressed or angry.

2 years ago I paid $25K to have weight loss surgery. For 6 months before the surgery you are required to take classes with a nutritionist twice weekly. We were taught all about low carbing NO SUGAR!! and other rules.
Immediately after my new little pouch healed I started eating cotton candy because it was sugar, it disolves in your mouth and takes up very little space. Over a year I did manage to lose 65lbs in spite of living on a diet of Slurpees, Cotton Candy and licorice. Most people "dump" on sugar. I don't. I "dump" on fat.

So you can blame the food pyramid and maybe that's true for some people, but I guarantee you it isn't true for me. I knew exactly what I was doing. I didn't get here out of ignorance. I got here in spite of all evidence.

Now I'm 23 days clean from sugar and it's the longest I have ever gone in my life without a single grain of sugar. I'm learning new ways of coping with stress and anger and anxiety besides eating. Atkins is slow going when you can't do things like fat bombs but it's going and at least for today, I'm another day "clean" from sugar.
There is so much about your post that makes me sad.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I have actually pondered this conundrum...I think that as Americans, and I guess all Western societies have grown fatter, the perception of what is fat has changed. Seeing someone who is at a healthy weight with little excess fat is now 'Thin'. Some one who is at a very healthy weight i.e. no excess fat is now 'skinny' and seeing someone who is perhaps a tad underweight but still in the healthy range is now 'emaciated' it's all about the perception. The 'average' weight is now 'overweight' and if the projections are accurate (and they usually are) then 'obese' will be the new normal.
It's all those useless carbs killing us slowly
I don't agree with your use of the term "healthy weight". I'm not sure if you are using it as a euphemism for "normal" or "average" weight, or if you think there are particular weights that are healthy and there are particular weights that aren't. People can be healthy or unhealthy at many different weights. There's a book about it called Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight. There are studies that show people who have a slightly overweight BMI actually live longer than those of normal BMI or underweight BMI. I also think many people blame weight itself for any issues that crop up, when it is really the diet that causes both the fat to accumulate and the medical issues. So for me, it is about health, and I do think eating the way I am eating is the healthiest for me even if I never lose another pound (knock on wood that doesn't happen, though! )
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Quote:

Great Post!!! I love your honesty and level of accountability!!

I'm sure many people have been warned. I know that my own mother is morbidly obese and she has a lot of health problems. Diabetes is not one of them, but her health is nonetheless very poor. With such poor health, she sees a lot of doctors, often. Every time she visits ANY of them, they always tell her that she needs to lose weight.

What I am trying to say here, is that yes, there will be some people who have been and are truly, innocently ignorant of proper nutrition and how to achieve a healthy weight for themselves and their families. But there are also some people who CHOOSE to stay ignorant. Dr says lose weight, so they cut down on fat, etc.... The accountability stops there. If a person TRULY wants to lose weight or get healthier, they don't give up. The keep looking for the solution that works for them.

There's no arguing that there are so many things/people we can point our fingers at.

Last edited by lanita; 04-16-2013 at 10:18 AM..
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
But even with the knowlege, which frankly very few people have, sugar is an addictive substance. There is biochemistry involved which feeds the cycle of sugar/carb addiction. Even with a lot of willpower the addiction can be very hard to overcome. If you don't understand this, thank God, it means you were never really truly addicted to sugar. I am thankful I have now overcome the addiction and truly hope I never backslide.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post

It really bothers me sometimes when I see people solely blaming the parents for their child's weight problem, like they force fast food or candy on them every day and never give them home cooked meals for them to have grown up that way. I'm not a mother myself, nor will I ever be... but I grew up as an overweight child and turned into an overweight adult. And while my mom definitely could have followed a healthier overall diet herself while she was alive and could have probably done some research into LC diets (I wish she would have back in the day) it just wasn't mainstream at the time, and STILL really isn't. She didn't HAVE the internet like I do. There just wasn't a lot of information out there for her to understand something like this, and WHY it works.

I don't know, I just wanted to throw that out there to defend moms when I saw that comment in that post... because it's spot on that many properly nourish their children according to that horrid food pyramid, and STILL get blamed for what's happening to their family like they're some kind of irresponsible monster for letting their child grow up overweight.

Good post, clackley

Thanks for posting. I am a fat mom with an overweight 10 year old. He is addicted to sugar/carbs. We take him to the pediatrician every 3 months for a weigh-in and we've been to the nutritionsist several times. Even though the LC diet is working for both DH and I, both the ped and the nutritionist are very reluctant to suggest a LC diet for DS. They both want him on a "low gylcemic" WOE for now. We are working on it, but frankly I can't control everything my 10 year old eats. Unless I quit my job and homeschooled, I can't control everything he puts in his mouth. Nor do I want to, as food restriction was one of the reasons I balloned from a chunky 8 year old to a 250 lb. teenager. There are complex, multifactorial reasons why people get fat and stay fat. Placing blame is not the way to solve this issue.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #53
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post

Thanks for posting. I am a fat mom with an overweight 10 year old. He is addicted to sugar/carbs. We take him to the pediatrician every 3 months for a weigh-in and we've been to the nutritionsist several times. Even though the LC diet is working for both DH and I, both the ped and the nutritionist are very reluctant to suggest a LC diet for DS. They both want him on a "low gylcemic" WOE for now. We are working on it, but frankly I can't control everything my 10 year old eats. Unless I quit my job and homeschooled, I can't control everything he puts in his mouth. Nor do I want to, as food restriction was one of the reasons I balloned from a chunky 8 year old to a 250 lb. teenager. There are complex, multifactorial reasons why people get fat and stay fat. Placing blame is not the way to solve this issue.

My dhs 14 year old male cousin is anorexic and also an obsessive runner (will run to the point of collapse). The rest of the family eats very healthy and are normal weights. However, this boy was teased at school for being 'far' a couple years ago at school and that flipped a switch in him, even though he was a normal weight. He's been to counseling, as well as rehab type programs where he's stayed at a facility. In his case his eating disorder is a mental problem and had absolutely nothing to do with how his mom feeds him. Such a very sad situation

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-16-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #54
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Once someone has the knowledge, it's on them to put it into action, can't blame low fat, food pyramid, and the government anymore.

Quote:

This is a fabulously honest post. Thank you for saying it.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanita View Post
But there are also some people who CHOOSE to stay ignorant.
It makes me sad that people believe, and I do think that this is the predominant view in our culture, this sort of nonsense. Nobody would choose to get fat and stay fat if they understood what was happening and how to change it. I am 100% certain that this is the belief that supports our society in such harsh discrimination against fat people.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kgirlpure
Stats: ( 5'5")181/164/130 age 48
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: january 2014 again
Quote:
Originally Posted by peretroika View Post
Amen, sister. I am so against women bashing women- for their weight at ANY size. As a former (very, very former) skinny girl, these comments hurt, a lot. It hurts to be called out and shamed for your body no matter what your bmi may be. Women as a whole seriously need to stop with that spiteful sh**!!

Anyway. Rant over. I think you, OP, handled the situation well. It was petty to criticize those other girls on their bodies and clothes- who asked her? What business of hers what they wore or ate? But you were right to leave the subject alone on her birthday.
I have a coworker constantly trying to get me to eat more (and eat carbs) now that I'm 'so thin' (at 128 lbs and 5'2- just under 'overweight.') Why can't we all just support each other, in whatever WOE or weight or whatever is going on? ARUGH!
I totally agree we should support each other. I had a neighbor, who is very very overweight, tell every one at a get together that I was starving myself to lose weight. she said this right in front of me. she acted like she was joking , but then said something like...you could kill yourself doing that! I never told her how I was losing weight, and never said I was. thankfully I know her comments are about her and not me. she should lose her weight but blocks that out by putting others down for doing it. don't do parties at her house anymore.
Goal for End of March....Below 150.
Goal for end of April...Below 145
Goal for end of May ....Upper 130's
Goal for end of July...Below 125! ...
Karen
kgirlpure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #57
Established

Quote:
It makes me sad that people believe, and I do think that this is the predominant view in our culture, this sort of nonsense. Nobody would choose to get fat and stay fat if they understood what was happening and how to change it. I am 100% certain that this is the belief that supports our society in such harsh discrimination against fat people.
I agree 100% Again, I highly recommend Rethinking Thin, by Gina Kolata. It's not a dieting book, but goes over the history of the dieting industry and obesity and then looks into the numerous studies that have been done about weight loss. There's a 95% failure rate with long term weight loss success. There's something much bigger going on here.

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-16-2013 at 06:04 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
"If they understood what was happening and how to change it"

Is exactly my point. I'm not trying to be hateful. I'm saying that time and time again, I've seen someone KNOW that they should lose weight, even he told by their Dr that they should lose weight. Dr usually says, "cut calories, cut fat and exercise". Patient tries this formula, it doesn't work, and they give up completely. They think they tried. But if they were truly determined, they'd do some research and keep trying. Who knows? Eventually they might give LC a try. Maybe it would be the exact thing they needed. But they are ignorant to it because they gave up too quickly and then blame the Dr., etc..
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #59
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Honestly, everyone knows how they got to where they are. I can tell you I know exactly how I gained 35 pounds 12 years ago. And it was my fault. And I can tell you it is nothing but sheer determination EVERY DAY to keep it off. I seriously don't think one single person in the US, barring some rare disease, has no idea what happened. And everyone (almost) has access to internet. You don't need Atkins to be successful. You need determination to make whatever plan you pick stick. I fall off all the time but when I gain, I know where, what, why and whose to blame.....me!

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Honestly, everyone knows how they got to where they are. I can tell you I know exactly how I gained 35 pounds 12 years ago. And it was my fault. And I can tell you it is nothing but sheer determination EVERY DAY to keep it off. I seriously don't think one single person in the US, barring some rare disease, has no idea what happened. And everyone (almost) has access to internet. You don't need Atkins to be successful. You need determination to make whatever plan you pick stick. I fall off all the time but when I gain, I know where, what, why and whose to blame.....me!
I agree. And, you don't even need the internet because diet books are in every bookstore and library, and the authors are always interviewed on tv.

I think persistence is more important than what diet you are doing because people can be successful on all sorts of plans.