LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: xo ashley
Stats: 155*140* 125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 02/01/2009... Quit in 2011. Back 3/31/13
Blah. I need advice...

Ok, so I've only been back for for a short time... and I know that I am weak. This past week has been a really terrible week for me... work stuff, family stuff, friend stuff.. it all came at once and yesterday, I was a dummy and ate off plan.

Here's the problem... this morning was the first morning in 3 weeks that I've had energy at my workout. I incline walked for 90 minutes and burnt off 1400 calories. Normally I felt terrible when I would have a "cheat day", but I didn't today.

I just guess I'm asking for some advice about what I need to do to reach that happy medium? I know that my body LOOKS better when I'm eating low-carb, but I literally feel like I'm moving through molasses a lot of the time.

My ADHD is far better when I'm eating low-carb, and maybe it's because I don't have the highs/lows with sugar.

Is there something I can do to improve my energy? Or is this WOE just not for me? I don't know.. I can't feasibly do 2 hours of cardio before work every day to avoid gaining weight. But, I know that I hate feeling like garbage after 20 minutes of cardio.

I am back on plan today... made cheeseburger pie for this week, tenderloin for salads, and got my eggs prepared for the week. Lay into me if you wish... I need the truth.
xo ashley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Why on earth would you do two hours of exercise a day? That seems extreme. Thirty minutes seems like a good amount to me.
You lose weight with diet, the exercise is just for your health.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

My boyfriend tells me I'm extreme about it too. It's just what I grew up with as the norm... I figure skated and exercised for 3-6 hours a day. And a lot of my family/friends spend 2-3 hours at the gym doing cardio/weights/classes.

When I'm not eating low-carb, I work out that much to burn off as many calories as possible... that way, if I burn off 800+, I feel better about myself and what I eat. Like, if I eat 1600 calories- it's "ok" because I burnt off 800. Yeah makes no sense.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sounds like you may be pushing yourself too hard.

What ultimately is your goal from all this exercise and low carbing?

They are a means to [fill in the blank].
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Holy Moly girl, your exercise demands on yourself are...well, I'll just go for oversized, although other adjectives apply.

You asked for honesty, so I'm going to say what I think. Seems to me you exercise not for the love it, but to equalize out any sin in eating you have deemed you've made. Sorry to say it, but to me, this is eating disorder stuff.

It's one thing if you're exercising a lot because you're in athletic competition, another altogether if you're doing it to frantically make up for what you ate. And it's one thing if you're exercising a lot because you freaking love what you're doing---my brother has fallen in love with biking and wants to do it all the time---and another thing if you're doing it to yourself punitively to erase every carb or calorie that dared cross your lips.

The only advice I have is to read more, learn more. There is no need to exercise a couple of hours a day to be successful on a low carb diet. Knowledge is a way better source of inspiration than fear.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #6

You have exercise bulimia...
Old 04-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
That much exercise could be counter productive. It's mostly about diet. If you feel better exercising, maybe try a different routine that is less strenuous?
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
happy girlie girl!

Gallery: Amy Lynn
you could try alternate day dieting like the JUDDD plan and only work out every other day when fueled up from Up Days
Amy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
90 minutes of cardio is not excessive.
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanita View Post
90 minutes of cardio is not excessive.
Ok, let's leave words like excessive out of the equation and leave that up to the beholder. Still, if it's about weight loss on a Low Carb diet, 90 minutes of cardio a day is unnecessary and from all I've read, counter productive to this woe, not to mention that most can't sustain a lifestyle of 90 minutes of cardio a day, or for that matter, every other day.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
You might want to look at the Perfect Health Diet. It has many of the beneficial features of low carb but also incorporates "safe starches" like potatoes. Some people need very low carb (like me) but some do better on a bit higher. There are some threads on PHD on the "other plans" sub forum.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
If regular LC doesn't make you feel full of energy but you are getting other benefits (like helping your ADHD) so you don't want to give it up, I think high fat/moderate protein/low carb is worth a try. This way of eating seriously makes me feel like I'm flying most of the time and I feel great while working out. The rough part is that it usually takes people six weeks or more to become fully keto adapted, so it would not be a quick experiment.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:23 AM   #13

It is excessive if you read her description.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
So what if that's what your family and friends do? You need to do what YOU need to do for YOU! When you were a child in sports, that was your norm THEN, not now. I can see you have a lot of guilt...why? I'm guessing the experience was not the best back then if you are still holding on to it now. That is a lot of expectations on a child, even if they do love the sport. What makes you happy now? Focus on that...it'sunhealthy to use exercie as 'mental relief' of supposed food sins KWIM? Not the exercise so much, just the mental beating you are subjecting yourself too. *BIG HUGS ON YOUR JOURNEY* I hope you find your way...
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
maybe the cardio is whats wearing you out...maybe switch to weights...cardio is good for the heart, but weights actually help you burn more fat, keep you looking firm and help you to keep good bone density. I'm not saying do no cardio but from your description I think you are going a bit overboard on it.

Maybe alternate days of cardio and weights or do a combo program of cardio and weights for an appropriate amount of time. You have to realize you are new to this woe and your body has not learned to use it's new fuel source so when you give it the old fuel you are getting a sugar high and your body gets that old "feel good affect."
Give your body time to switch and adjust work outs appropriately until then. Maybe eat your highest carb meal/snack before the workout and stay very low carb the rest of the day. You could even have a protein shake after a work out that is low carb if you feel depleted.
Good luck.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for all the replies... I honestly do appreciate it. I figure skated, and yes, it was not a great experience as far as eating stuff and body image goes. I looked up exercise bulimia, and I have to admit, I fit every single one of the symptoms. I have blown off friends/family and called into work to exercise. I have worked out w/ bronchitis and shin splints. I have spent hours at the gym counting every calorie, and I am depressed and agitated if I can't work out.

I do not want to be like this.. and I think eating low carb "forces" me to recognize that I can exercise for enjoyment or energy- not to negate every thing I ate. I hate to admit this... but, I used to run 9 miles (1000 calories), and then incline walk for an hour (800) just to "not feel guilty" for eating whatever I wanted.

Unfortunately... I could "burn off" tons of calories, and still feel like garbage and gain weight because I was eating junk.

It's obvious my body image and way of thinking needs a change. Thank you very much for all of your advice. I needed it. There is no reason for me to spend hours at a gym solely to burn calories. When I am eating low carb, I can work out 30 minutes a day and see ab muscles, arm muscles, and definition all over. That is what I want. I want to be toned and muscular- I can achieve that by diet and healthy exercise. Not by eating garbage and spending hours on a treadmill.

Thank you.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Exercise does nof lead to weight loss and in fact can cause weight loss to stall. Exercise and losing weight are two totally seperate things.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo ashley View Post
Thank you for all the replies... I honestly do appreciate it. I figure skated, and yes, it was not a great experience as far as eating stuff and body image goes. I looked up exercise bulimia, and I have to admit, I fit every single one of the symptoms. I have blown off friends/family and called into work to exercise. I have worked out w/ bronchitis and shin splints. I have spent hours at the gym counting every calorie, and I am depressed and agitated if I can't work out.

I do not want to be like this.. and I think eating low carb "forces" me to recognize that I can exercise for enjoyment or energy- not to negate every thing I ate. I hate to admit this... but, I used to run 9 miles (1000 calories), and then incline walk for an hour (800) just to "not feel guilty" for eating whatever I wanted.

Unfortunately... I could "burn off" tons of calories, and still feel like garbage and gain weight because I was eating junk.

It's obvious my body image and way of thinking needs a change. Thank you very much for all of your advice. I needed it. There is no reason for me to spend hours at a gym solely to burn calories. When I am eating low carb, I can work out 30 minutes a day and see ab muscles, arm muscles, and definition all over. That is what I want. I want to be toned and muscular- I can achieve that by diet and healthy exercise. Not by eating garbage and spending hours on a treadmill.

Thank you.
Reading Mark Lauren's strength training books were real eye opener for me (You Are Your Own Gym and Body By You). This guy puts together the fitness programs for the Navy Seals and Green Berets and is highly regarded in the body building community, and he believes cardio exercises are rubbish along with gyms, workout equipment. Your body is your biggest asset for burning fat and building muscle. And his plan is three days a week, for 30 minutes a time. It might be something for you to look into

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-15-2013 at 07:34 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Thank you.
I was so happy to read this response, ashley. It is very honest and brave. if you can't overcome the exercise bulimia on your own, PLEASE, get some help.
It doesn't have to be that way. Life can be much better and much more enjoyable, and you deserve that. Good luck to you.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #20

I was thrilled to see your reply. I have been there myself, that is why I spotted it in you. I took a period off from all exercise. Then was allowed on 30 minutes a day. Now, I take walks or play sports, nothing obsessive. But, I still get moody if I have no exercise all day.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Reading Mark Lauren's strength training books were real eye opener for me (You Are Your Own Gym and Body By You). This guy puts together the fitness programs for the Navy Seals and Green Berets and is highly regarded in the body building community, and he believes cardio exercises are rubbish along with gyms, workout equipment. Your body is your biggest asset for burning fat and building muscle. And his plan is three days a week, for 30 minutes a time. It might be something for you to look into
Thanks, mom23kids for this suggestion. I've been looking for something short and doable---30 minutes a day 3 times a week is perfect. And the best news is, it comes in a video! this will work great for me as I'm used to exercise videos and like the guidance as I do the work out. At one time I was doing an hour a day of videos 6 days a week. I got very nice and buff and then fell off the wagon because I just don't love to exercise.

But I would like a go to for a short to the point sustainable exercise program and this looks like a good option, so I ordered it. Again, thanks for this!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
First off Ashley, Ive been here forever, so have you. You know damn well this WOE is for you.

I want to also disagree about the exercising. Maybe 2 hours every single day is too much, but I think an hour of cardio a day is great. And sorry, but exercise DOES help with weight loss. If you have ever seen your body transform after starting a workout program, you know it does.

If the working out is effecting your life, cut it back a bit. An hour a day. Maybe 5-6 days a week instead of 7. If working out makes you feel good, that is. When you are working out, you need to make sure you eat a bit more, though. That was always the hard part for me.

Just try to stick to LC, though. I'm telling you this for you and for me. I've been struggling as well.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
First off Ashley, Ive been here forever, so have you. You know damn well this WOE is for you.

I want to also disagree about the exercising. Maybe 2 hours every single day is too much, but I think an hour of cardio a day is great. And sorry, but exercise DOES help with weight loss. If you have ever seen your body transform after starting a workout program, you know it does.

If the working out is effecting your life, cut it back a bit. An hour a day. Maybe 5-6 days a week instead of 7. If working out makes you feel good, that is. When you are working out, you need to make sure you eat a bit more, though. That was always the hard part for me.

Just try to stick to LC, though. I'm telling you this for you and for me. I've been struggling as well.
It's how ashley is exercising that waves a red flag for some of us.
Running 9 miles, followed by an hour and a half on the incline, blowing off friends and work to do more exercise---all of which she does not seem to enjoy, but rather does out of guilt about whatever she ate, is not a healthy and happy lifestyle. IMO, this is an eating disorder and should be taken very seriously.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I'm not saying it may not be a problem, but I'm saying it is possible it isn't.

I don't always enjoy working out, but I know it's best for me so I do.

It just always bothers me when people jump to an extreme when they don't really know the whole story, rather than take into consideration of what someone is feeling at the moment they make a post, that's all.

Some people do not exercise at all. I'll take an example from my life. I have a friend that does not eat right at all nor exercise one bit, and she looks at how I eat and work out and she may think I have an eating disorder. No, I don't, I'm just different from you.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #25

Ashley has already said it is a problem.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I'm not saying it may not be a problem, but I'm saying it is possible it isn't.

I don't always enjoy working out, but I know it's best for me so I do.

It just always bothers me when people jump to an extreme when they don't really know the whole story, rather than take into consideration of what someone is feeling at the moment they make a post, that's all.

Some people do not exercise at all. I'll take an example from my life. I have a friend that does not eat right at all nor exercise one bit, and she looks at how I eat and work out and she may think I have an eating disorder. No, I don't, I'm just different from you.
From ashley's post:

"I looked up exercise bulimia, and I have to admit, I fit every single one of the symptoms."

So I don't think anyone here jumped to any extreme conclusions. ashley asked for honesty, and some of us took that to heart, and said what we believed WITH concern.

I'm happy she took it seriously enough to look up the term and recognize herself. Now she can put herself on a better, healthier path---physically and emotionally.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #27
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Quote:
Ok, so I've only been back for for a short time... and I know that I am weak. This past week has been a really terrible week for me... work stuff, family stuff, friend stuff.. it all came at once and yesterday, I was a dummy and ate off plan.

Is there something I can do to improve my energy? Or is this WOE just not for me? I don't know.. I can't feasibly do 2 hours of cardio before work every day to avoid gaining weight. But, I know that I hate feeling like garbage after 20 minutes of cardio.
Everyone else addressed the amount of exercise, but I wanted to focus on these two paragraphs.

How long were you been back on the bandwagon before yesterday?

(I haven't read anything low carb in a while, so this is from memory - it might be a bit off, but the general concepts should be sound.) When you first start eating low carb, depending on your plan, it takes a few days to get into ketosis (which, if you are on a ketogenic diet, I'm sure you know). It takes even LONGER to become "keto-adapted", that is, for your body to really start burning fat when you exercise, and for it to thrive on it. A few weeks or longer, depending on how highly carbed up you were before you started. And those are a few CLEAN weeks.

There have been a few studies about this. The first weeks (or more) on low carb suck for athletes, especially those who were working out before they switched their WOEs. But if you stick with it, you'll be golden.

Dieting to look good in cute clothes. Exercising to look good without them
---
I can do Hard Things.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote