Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Question about wine (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802123-question-about-wine.html)

Punkin 04-14-2013 11:37 AM

Question about wine

I was just wondering about the carbs in white wine. Are you supposed to count total carbs or net carbs for a glass? I just bought a wine that has 4 carbs and only 2 carbs of those four are sugars. So I am assuming that the other two carbs are from alcohol. I am just a bit confused as to how you count the carbs for wine. :)

Leo41 04-14-2013 11:53 AM

I count all the carbs in wine.

Knittering 04-14-2013 11:55 AM

I also count all the carbs in wine. (The only thing I deduct is naturally-occurring fiber in fruits and vegetables.)

grannysmith 04-14-2013 12:54 PM

Alcohol gets metabolized like carbs...fiber doesn't get absorbed at all...

Ntombi 04-14-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 16372574)
I also count all the carbs in wine. (The only thing I deduct is naturally-occurring fiber in fruits and vegetables.)

This.

rndiane 04-14-2013 02:54 PM

Be careful of drinking alcohol, it stalls a lot of people and I am one of them. One glass shouldn't hurt though.

ravenrose 04-14-2013 02:57 PM

this is not just a question about wine... you need to understand net carbs a little better. most carbs are NOT sugar. You never subtract the carbs that aren't sugar out.

the only thing you subtract out is FIBER, please.

good luck

BigRolliePollie 04-14-2013 04:12 PM

This is interesting...I find that when I have a few cocktails (vodka/club soda) that I lose weight. I wake up and out of guilt run to the scale to see the damage and jump for joy when I see that my weight is less...why is that? My husband is the same way. This is a great thread because I would love if that was explained to me...

Aleina 04-17-2013 06:25 AM

BRP, maybe it has to do with how you locarb. If your carb intake is very low in, the cocktails may seem like hi carb paradise to your body and it relaxes to let go some weight. So it is not the alcohol in itself but the sudden availability of carbs that were not there before. Just an amateur trying to make sense,no science here .

I am wondering about the wine issue as well . I have just gone back to a protein with minimum carbohydrate plan (atkins induction style) and had not thought about my wine intake. I will cut it out for four days,see if I lose and if I do,then I will add it back in to see if it stalls me. An experiment of sorts.

Patience 04-17-2013 03:44 PM

BigRollie, if memory serves alcohol serves as a diuretic and you are losing water. I could be wrong about this. It might also be that you are getting your liquids from the alcohol not your daily water allocation.

BigRolliePollie 04-17-2013 03:46 PM

Hhhmmm, thank you, I really need to be better and watch that. You are probably right about that!

Patience 04-17-2013 03:56 PM

I used to drink too much :), and I recall needing to replenish liquids.