Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AvaOlivia
please look at my sample day menu... I'm a newb

Hi,

I'm trying to follow a low carb diet for 5 weeks leading up to my holiday.

What does this sample day on low carb diet look like?

Meal 1: 2 whole scrambled eggs, smoked
Salmon.

Meal 2: 1/2 can of tuna mixed with white
wine vinegar, lemon juice, celery
and avocado.

Meal 3: 3oz chicken breast and salad
made with peas, celery,
cucumber and lemon juice.

Meal 4: 3 hard boiled egg whites.

Meal 5: 4oz haddock fillet and broccoli

3 cups of tea during the day made with no sugar and unsweetened almond milk.

Lots of water throughout the day.

What does this look like?

I'm trying to stay low carb for 5 weeks so I'm just getting carbs from veg at the moment.

I'm exercising 6 days a week doing a mixture of cardio and weight training.

Thanks
AvaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gladiator
Hi Ava
I am sorry I am too tired to count how many carbs there. But please see below what I received from Dairy Queen.

Most fish, poultry and meat don't contain carbs so you can feel free to enjoy them, but be sure you're also getting your 12 to 15 grams of net carbs in vegetables as well.
All fish including:
• Flounder
• Herring
• Salmon
• Sardines
• Sole
• Tuna
• Trout
• Cod
• Halibut
• Don’t eat that fake crab stuff from Japan
All fowl including:
• Cornish hen
• Chicken
• Duck
• Goose
• Pheasant
• Quail
• Turkey
• Ostrich
All shellfish including:
• Clams
• Crabmeat
• Mussels*
• Oysters*
• Shrimp
• Squid
• Lobster
*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs so limit to about 4 ounces per day.

All meat including:
• Bacon*
• Beef
• Ham*
• Lamb
• Pork
• Veal
• Venison
Some processed meat, bacon, and ham is cured with sugar, which will add to the carb count. Also steer clear of cold cuts and other meats with added nitrates.

You can eat Eggs, Eggs and more Eggs!!! Eggs are one of nature's most nutritious creations. And get creative with your eggs: Add mushrooms or a little cheese. Herbs are fine: basil, oregano, dill are all great.

Eggs in any style, including:
• Deviled
• Fried
• Hard-boiled
• Omelets
• Poached
• Scrambled
• Soft-boiled

CHEESE!! But keep in mind that cheese contains carbs, about 1 gram per ounce. You may have about 3 to 4 ounces of cheese per day. An ounce is about the size of an individually wrapped slice of American cheese or a 1" cube.

Vegetables:

You should be eating approximately 12 to 15 grams of net carbs per day in the form of vegetables, which is equivalent to several cups depending on the actual carb content of the veggies you select.
Measure the following salad vegetables raw:
Vegetable Serving Size/Prep grams of net carbs
Alfalfa sprouts ½ cup/raw 0.2
Arugula 1 cup/raw 0.4
Bok choy 1 cup/raw 0.4
Celery 1 stalk 0.8
Chicory greens ½ cup/raw 0.1
Chives 1 tablespoon 0.1
Cucumber ½ cup 1.0
Daikon ½ cup 1.0
Endive ½ cup 0.4
Escarole ½ cup 0.1
Fennel ½ cup 1.8
Jicama ½ cup 2.5
Iceberg lettuce 1 cup 0.2
Mushrooms ½ cup 1.2
Parsley 1 tablespoon 0.1
Peppers ½ cup/raw 2.3
Radicchio ½ cup/raw 0.7
Radishes 6/raw 0.5
Romaine lettuce 1 cup 0.4

The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbs than the salad vegetables listed above. They also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily foods. Make sure you stay within the 12-15 grams of net carbs. Unless otherwise noted, measure these veggies after you cook them.
Vegetable Serving Size/ Prep Net Carbs
Artichoke 1/2 medium 3.5
Asparagus 6 spears 2.4
Artichoke hearts 1 canned 1.0
Avocados ½ whole (raw) 1.8
Bamboo shoots ½ cup 1.2
Broccoli ½ cup 1.7
Broccoli raw ½ cup 0.8
Broccoli rabe ½ cup 2.0
Broccoflower ½ cup 2.3
Brussels sprouts ¼ cup 1.8
Cabbage ½ cup (raw) 1.6
Cauliflower ½ cup (raw) 1.4
Swiss chard ½ cup 1.8
Collard greens ½ cup boiled 2.0
Eggplant ½ cup 2.0
Green String Beans 1 cup 4.1
Hearts of palm 1 heart 0.7
Kale ½ cup 2.4
Kohlrabi ¼ cup 2.3
Leeks ½ cup 3.4
Okra ½ cup 2.4
Olives green 5 0.1
Olives black 5 0.7
Onion ¼ cup 4.3
Pumpkin ¼ cup 2.4
Rhubarb ½ cup (unsweetened) 1.7
Sauerkraut ½ cup (drained) 1.2
Snow peas and snap peas in pod ½ cup with pods 3.4
Spaghetti squash ¼ cup boiled 2.0
Spinach ½ cup 2.2
Summer squash ½ cup 2.6
Tomato ¼ cup 4.3
Turnips ½ cup 3.3
Water chestnuts ¼ cup (canned) 3.5
Zucchini ½ cup 1.5

Salad Garnishes
Crumbled bacon 3 slices 0.0
Hard-boiled egg 1 egg 0.5
Grated cheeses (see above carb counts)
Sautéed mushrooms ½ cup 1.0
Sour cream 2 tbs 1.2

Herbs and Spices (make sure they contain no added sugar)
Basil 1 tbs 0.0
Cayenne pepper 1 tbs 0.0
Cilantro 1 tbs 0.0
Dill 1 tbs 0.0
Garlic 1 clove 0.9
Ginger 1 tbs sliced root 0.8
Oregano 1 tbs 0.0
Pepper 1 tbs 0.0
Rosemary 1 tbs 0.0
Sage 1 tbs 0.0
Tarragon 1 tbs 0.0

Salad Dressings - Any prepared salad dressing with no added sugar and no more then 2 grams of net carbs per serving (1-2 tablespoons) is acceptable. Or make your own.

Blue cheese 2 tbs 2.3
Caesar 2 tbs 0.5
Italian 2 tbs 3.0
Lemon juice 2 tbs 2.8
Lime juice 2 tbs 2.8
Oil and vinegar 2 tbs 1.0
Ranch 2 tbs 1.4

Fats and Oils

There are no carbs here, but keep in mind that the serving size is approximately 1 tablespoon.
1. Butter
2. Mayonnaise – make sure it has no added sugar
3. Olive oil
4. Vegetable oils – Those labeled “cold pressed” or “expeller pressed” are especially good and olive oil is one of the best.
o Canola*
o Walnut
o Soybean*
o Grape seed*
o Sesame
o Sunflower*
o Safflower*
*Do not allow any oils to reach overly high temperatures when cooking. Use olive oil for sautéing only. Use walnut or sesame oil to dress cooked veggies or salad, but not for cooking.

Artificial Sweeteners
Splenda – one packet equals 1 gram of net carbs
Beverages
• Clear broth/ bouillon (make sure it has no sugars added)
• Club soda
• Cream, heavy or light.
• Decaffeinated or regular coffee and tea*
• Diet soda (be sure to note the carb count)
• Flavored seltzer (must say no calories)
• Herb tea (without added barley or fruit sugar added)
• Unflavored soy/almond milk
• Water – at least eight 8-ounce glasses per day including...
o Filtered water
o Mineral water
o Spring water
o Tap water
* One to two cups of caffeinated tea or coffee is allowed as desired and tolerated by each individual. If you experience symptoms of hypoglycemia or cravings as a result, do not use caffeine. If you have a true caffeine addiction, it is best to break the habit during the induction phase.
* Limit lemon and lime juices to 3 T per day
Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
What diet are you doing?
Peas are not lowcarb, and you should be getting 65% of your calories from fat.
I don't see ANY fat- except a couple egg yolks?
Once we know which plan you are following,
it will be easier for us to critique your menu.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
Yes, you need more fat. You can't do low carb and low fat. It just doesn't work!

Mix your tuna with mayo, or even mayo with olive oil added. Fry your eggs in butter or coconut oil. Look up "fat bombs" or bulletproof coffee.

If you're trying to drop weight fast I suggest cutting back on the exercise. It will most likely not help and this is the subject of great debate on this forum.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I would not be able to get by on what you're eating: I'd be hungry ALL the time!

I'd also be extremely weak and lack energy.

Dietary fat is where your energy comes from, and the only fat I saw was in the avocado.

Here's a peek at how I usually eat, for comparison:

BREAKFAST: one of the following:
  • 2-3 eggs, scrambled with heavy cream, a little cheese, some pork-sausage, 10 black olives, and lots of butter.
  • 1 cup of coffee, whizzed with 2 TBS coconut oil (start with 1 teaspoon and work your way up!) and 2 TBS heavy cream. (HEAVEN! And this will keep me going till 2pm, even with a heavy workout.)
  • 2 Fat Bombs. (One is not enough for a full breakfast for me, but 2 will leave me full and satisfied -- again, even through a heavy workout.)
It's REALLY important to get enough fat in this meal. If you don't, you'll be fighting hunger all day. If you DO, you may make it to dinner before you're actually hungry enough to eat, again.

LUNCH:
Well, for the past couple of months, if I eat lunch, it's probably wings. I'll eat a ton of celery at the same time -- LOVE me some celery in a good, chunky bleu-cheese dressing! But as often as not, I'm not hungry at lunch time. (It really depends on what I had for breakfast.)

DINNER:
Some recent sample-dinners:
  • Collard greens cooked in pork fat. YUM! (Was too full after this to eat the rest of my meal!)
  • Rib-eye steak, with a side of broccoli
  • Spinach salad -- spinach, parmasean, broccoli, olives, avocado, and ceasar dressing
  • Tuna (mixed with Hellman's Mayo) in a bed of lettuce, and topped with avocado
  • Catfish, "breaded" with powdered parmasean, and served with mixed veggies topped with alfredo sauce. (The veggies, not the fish.)

Dinner tends to be my big veggies meal -- and there are ALWAYS veggies -- peppers, broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, etc -- even when I don't list them.

But you'll note that EVERY SINGLE TIME I eat, I'm eating something high-fat.

I won't eat boiled eggs. I'll be to hungry afterwards. Instead, I'll devil them.

I'm betting, by now, you're convinced that that's "too much fat" and I'm killing my heart... Well, every SINGLE time I've had my lipids tested, my scores are so great the doctors are stunned. The typical comment is, 'Well, YOU sure don't have to worry about your cholesterol!"

It turns out that most of the research telling us saturated fats are bad were either seriously flawed, or fraudulent. Some tested not saturated-fats, but TRANS FATS (ie: margarine!), determined THESE were unhealthy, and then -- in a pretty mind-bending logic-jump told us that butter was bad for us and we should eat margarine instead. Seriously.

The more we learn about cholesterol and saturated fat, however, the more we discover that the way our great-grandparents ate (Bacon, eggs, and butter all being staples) was much healthier than the "low-fat" craze that started in the 80s and has resulted in record-high levels of cardiovascular disease.

Don't take my word for it. Listen to the medical researchers:

I suggest you also pick up a copy of Gary Taubes, "Why We Get Fat", and look into the research of Dr. Eades.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
and you should be getting 65% of your calories from fat.
Where is this number from? Low carb is about limiting carbs, not about hitting a certain percentage of fat, otherwise it would be called a high fat diet.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
otherwise it would be called a high fat diet.
Dr. Atkins specifically called it a high-fat diet.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Dr. Atkins specifically called it a high-fat diet.
then why did he promote it as a low carb diet? He never mentioned getting a specific percentage of fat either.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
"You can't do low carb and low fat. It just doesn't work!"

Yes, you can. It's called Stillman's.

And I lost my first 100 lbs eating very low carb and low fat because I was having some mysterious gall bladder problems at the time. I say 'mysterious' because whenever I ate any form of 'extra' fat--e.g., one T mayo on my tuna salad or 2T EVOO on my salad--I would have a gall bladder attack, yet every test was negative, so no surgeon could justify removal.

Since abstaining from fat 'solved' my problem, my gastro advised me to eat low fat because he said he had seen problems like mine before that could not be resolved any other way.

I have no problem eating low fat, low carb, and I lost weight steadily. I have regular blood tests every 4 months, and this WOE caused NO problem at all. My labs were excellent, and my skin, hair, and nails were fine. No negative consequences at all.

After 7 months, I began slowly adding fat, and I can now eat moderate fat--but not high fat. Along the way, I got to goal and have been maintaining for the past 2 years. Low carb AND low fat DOES work. My stats prove it.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
He never mentioned getting a specific percentage of fat either.
I don't know which book you read.
He did.
He recommended 65% fat, 25 to 30% protein and the rest carbs.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #11

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I thought it was common knowledge that you need higher fat if you are eating lower carbs, guess not. Fat is your fuel now, so without fat, you have no fuel. Gary taubes explains this very well in his book. If I ate low fat I would be afraid my hair would fall out, didn't that happen to a group of people on here?
So, looking at your diet, I would eat a lot more fatty meat and eggs with yolks! In our house , we throw out the whites and just eat the yolks.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I agree w the others. What you've got listen could not sustain me. I eat fairly low calorie and usually only once a day, but way more fat than that.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
Where is this number from? Low carb is about limiting carbs, not about hitting a certain percentage of fat, otherwise it would be called a high fat diet.
If Atkins had called it a "high fat diet" nobody would have touched it with a ten foot pole, because fat phobia was in full swing when his approach came into it's own. Low carb is enough of a trigger for most people because for a long time people THOUGHT it was "low carb, high protein" (not really, but that was the perception). I love that the Swedish people call it what it is "Low Carb High Fat" ("LCHF" for short).

Yes, you can lose weight on Pritikin, but is it really healthy and safe? Do you lose primarily fat, or fat and lean body mass when not adding fat to compensate for the carbohydrates reduced in the diet?

Fat, contrary to popular belief, carries a lot of nutrient value. Without adequate fat, all the fat-soluble vitamins A,D,E, and K that come from our veggies aren't available to the body--and some of these vitamins are in the fat itself (for example: grassfed butter = high amounts of Vitamin K2 which is essential for calcium regulation in our bones, it's also a good source of Vitamin A). That's why certain fats are called "Essential". It's not just a marketing gimmick.

Some fats are better for you than others. Transfats are NEVER safe to eat, polyunsaturated fats tend to be inflammatory and we should minimize them in our diet. But saturated fat (animal and diary, coconut oil) and mono-unsaturated fats (olive oil) are very nutritious and healthful replacements for carbs in the diet.

The secondary role of fat in our diet is to provide satiety--that feeling of satisfaction and lack of hunger. In a low carb, low fat diet, there's little to provide that satiety, and it's easier to binge or feel miserable and unsatisfied most of the time.

Some people manage to stick to a low carb, low fat diet like Pritikin, but most of the researchers in low carb today recognize the value of fats in the diet for optimal HEALTH, not just weight loss.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
I don't know which book you read.
He did.
He recommended 65% fat, 25 to 30% protein and the rest carbs.
can you tell me where? I do not remember ever reading about percentages until seeing them on this site.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
If Atkins had called it a "high fat diet" nobody would have touched it with a ten foot pole, because fat phobia was in full swing when his approach came into it's own. Low carb is enough of a trigger for most people because for a long time people THOUGHT it was "low carb, high protein" (not really, but that was the perception). I love that the Swedish people call it what it is "Low Carb High Fat" ("LCHF" for short).

Yes, you can lose weight on Pritikin, but is it really healthy and safe? Do you lose primarily fat, or fat and lean body mass when not adding fat to compensate for the carbohydrates reduced in the diet?

Fat, contrary to popular belief, carries a lot of nutrient value. Without adequate fat, all the fat-soluble vitamins A,D,E, and K that come from our veggies aren't available to the body--and some of these vitamins are in the fat itself (for example: grassfed butter = high amounts of Vitamin K2 which is essential for calcium regulation in our bones, it's also a good source of Vitamin A). That's why certain fats are called "Essential". It's not just a marketing gimmick.

Some fats are better for you than others. Transfats are NEVER safe to eat, polyunsaturated fats tend to be inflammatory and we should minimize them in our diet. But saturated fat (animal and diary, coconut oil) and mono-unsaturated fats (olive oil) are very nutritious and healthful replacements for carbs in the diet.

The secondary role of fat in our diet is to provide satiety--that feeling of satisfaction and lack of hunger. In a low carb, low fat diet, there's little to provide that satiety, and it's easier to binge or feel miserable and unsatisfied most of the time.

Some people manage to stick to a low carb, low fat diet like Pritikin, but most of the researchers in low carb today recognize the value of fats in the diet for optimal HEALTH, not just weight loss.
I know that fat is healthy, but I odn't know that we all need to aim for the highest level of it in our diet. Why does everyone polarize this issue? If you don't want to eat high high fat then all of a sudden you are someone who does low fat like Pritkin. There are moderate levels of fat too!

Maybe its different because I only eat around 1200 calories because I am at goal, but I really don't have a lot of calories for fat. I want to make sure I get adequate protein and eat tons of vegetables, and fat just rounds that out. And, fat doesnt really keep me full longer - I can eat a salad with chicken and 2 tbs olive oil as dressing and be full for longer than a fattier piece of steak with butter.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
AvaOliviaare you following a specific plan, Atkins, South Beach, or just generally keeping you eating low carb? You will get a ton of different opinions without specifically indicating which plan you are on. Even then, you will have to extract the information you find helpful to you and discard personal opinion.
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
DADR 1972 he wrote 'you will eat fats and protein in the 60 40 ratio they usually occur together in nature' or something like that.AFAIR
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
AvaOliviaare you following a specific plan, Atkins, South Beach, or just generally keeping you eating low carb?
That's what I was trying to get at.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post

Fear not the fat but rather the carbs!!!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote