Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Help me get back on track! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802109-help-me-get-back-track.html)

tobelowcarber 04-14-2013 08:53 AM

Help me get back on track!

I have really been struggling with carb binges and can't get back on track. I can do 3 days of clean eating and than I slip again. It is PMS time, that's when my binges happen. This time I can't get stop the binging cycle. I keep stuffing myself with honey/yogurt and nuts. I eat good amount of protein but this does not helps at all. I am/was on JUDD doing it low carb. I don't know what plan I follow now, all I know is that I can't stop the carb binge.
What do I do?

raindroproses 04-14-2013 09:00 AM

Try NK... check out the Nutritional Ketosis board. It's worked WONDERS to eliminate my carb cravings, and I never feel deprived. The key is to eat plenty of FAT. Not protein. When you eat too much protein, it can illicit an insulin response from your body that is akin to eating carbs. When I tamed down my carbs and my protein levels I found that my issues went away pretty much entirely... fat keeps me satisfied and satiated :)

Hang in there! It DOES get easier :hugs:

jazills 04-14-2013 09:02 AM

I agree !! NK has done wonders for my cravings, the scale, and my waistline :) I don't want nothing but fat anymore! It's awesome!!

tobelowcarber 04-14-2013 09:11 AM

Thanks ladies! I have to admit that I tried lots of things out there, but never tried NK. Now you got me curious.

Jbinme 04-14-2013 10:22 AM

I was doing JUDDD too and started running into some of the things you're describing with binging. I switched to NK and haven't binged since. I've dropped lbs too but to conquer cravings is huge for me!

jeaniem 04-14-2013 10:28 AM

Marika
I find NK tempting as well but fear that the low volume of food would continue to set us up for binges??

reddarin 04-14-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 16372441)
Marika
I find NK tempting as well but fear that the low volume of food would continue to set us up for binges??

You mean combining NK and JUDDD? I think there are some people doing that. I'm not sure that the typical DD level of calories comports very well with NK.

NK is not a low cal woe unless you make it one so there isn't really a low volume of food issue. I eat about 2300 calories a day and lose weight. I'm a guy but super duper sedentary and I currently weigh ~195. I got down to 186 eating about 2000 calories a day and fell off plan when I tried to quit smoking.

From what I've read, binges are not a result of food volume. They result from trying to follow a very low calorie plan. JUDDD sidesteps this, or tries to, by having a moderately higher level of calories on the UD but the level across both days is usually really low (from what I've seen).

:)

nolcjunk 04-14-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16372463)

NK is not a low cal woe unless you make it one so there isn't really a low volume of food issue. I eat about 2300 calories a day and lose weight. I'm a guy but super duper sedentary and I currently weigh ~195. I got down to 186 eating about 2000 calories a day and fell off plan when I tried to quit smoking.

:)

I think she means that since you get most of your calories from fat there isn't a lot of volume, since fat is very calorific and a lot of is in liquid form. So you get very little volume in a 1000 calorie bullerproof coffee or a small piece of steak covered with cheese/coconut oil/whatever compared to the same amount of calories with more protein and vegetables.

Knittering 04-14-2013 10:49 AM

I loved JUDDD but don't think it's a good diet for those of us with binge issues.

reddarin 04-14-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16372472)
I think she means that since you get most of your calories from fat there isn't a lot of volume, since fat is very calorific and a lot of is in liquid form. So you get very little volume in a 1000 calorie bullerproof coffee or a small piece of steak covered with cheese/coconut oil/whatever compared to the same amount of calories with more protein and vegetables.

Hmmm.

That 1000 calorie drink will keep you satisfied for a huge block of time if you really did drink that many calories. I drink about 800 calories with my coffee/HWC/CO concoction but my calorie goal is ~2300. If I were shooting for a lower calorie goal I'd reduce the HWC and CO to give me more room for solid food. Maybe. Once you are through the adaptation period the problem is not hunger, the problem is having no appetite and letting your calories fall too low.

A few weeks after I started NK I was eating 1500 calories a day with zero problem. For a 6 foot tall guy that weighed 205 pounds that is something, no? And that was keeping total carbs well under 50g a day. I think it was always lower than 30g total carbs a day. I was eating around 90g of protein a day too so I wasn't eating a big volume of food.

Anecdotally speaking, initial failure with NK is coming into it thinking that you have to eat very low calories. I think the adaptation period should be about eating to satiety without worrying about calories. Yup, you might gain some weight in that time period but once you are adapted you will be the master of your caloric intake. And the weight gain is not necessarily fat tissue either - if you have been following some sort of IF without eating enough protein you'll gain back some LBM that you've lost.

Of course, if you have a diagnosed thyroid issue or other health issue or take medicines of some sort that can/will have an impact on how NK works for you but it impacts everything about what you try to do - not just NK.

I understand what you are saying about the volume of food. Morpheus said it best:

Morpheus: I've seen an agent punch through a concrete wall. Men have emptied entire clips at them and hit nothing but air. Yet their strength and their speed are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that, they will never be as strong or as fast as you can be.

Neo: What are you trying to tell me, that I can dodge food volume issues?

Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

Leo41 04-14-2013 11:59 AM

On JUDDD- If you've read the book, Dr. J (developer of JUDDD) specifically warns that anyone with binge tendencies may have serious problems with JUDDD. It's been known for some time that a 'sense of restriction' (not restriction itself but the perception) tends to lead to binges.
When I did JUDDD, I had no problems at all because I never perceived the DDs as restricting. To me, they were 'liberating,' helping me feel in control of food for the first time in my life.

As to staying on plan, I personally rarely go off if the food isn't available. That is, if I don't have nuts and yoghurt in the house but want to overeat, I may make an omelet or grill a burger. I usually like to keep some hard-boiled eggs available for those times.

Of course, if you'd go out and buy stuff, then my technique won't work.

tobelowcarber 04-14-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbinme (Post 16372433)
I was doing JUDDD too and started running into some of the things you're describing with binging. I switched to NK and haven't binged since. I've dropped lbs too but to conquer cravings is huge for me!

Good to hear that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 16372441)
Marika

That was my thought too. I am curious to try this, though.

Jbinme 04-14-2013 01:15 PM

I think it was you that asked about thyroid on the JUDDD board?
I've been wondering the same as I have hypothyroid. I don't know if or how any of these eating plans affect it but it would be nice some day if we can know the best way to eat to maximize our thyroid function.

Jbinme 04-14-2013 01:30 PM

I hope you find what works for you:console:
That binge monster can be so frustrating.

tobelowcarber 04-14-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbinme (Post 16372701)
I think it was you that asked about thyroid on the JUDDD board?
I've been wondering the same as I have hypothyroid. I don't know if or how any of these eating plans affect it but it would be nice some day if we can know the best way to eat to maximize our thyroid function.

Yes, that's me :) I don't really think I am hypothyroid, it could be my body reacting to either low carb or low calories (on DD). It is a mystery.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbinme (Post 16372713)
I hope you find what works for you:console:
That binge monster can be so frustrating.

Yes, it is really frustrating.

I think I am going to try NK. I just calculated by numbers oh boy, my protein will be cut to 1/3 of what I normally eat. If it works, I have no problem eating less protein. I sometimes find myself eating 1-2 lb of protein a day :stars: (which is also very $$$). I just hope I can get the satisfaction with less volume of food.
I am glad to hear that NK is working for someone with binging. I was just on MDA and saw few people on NK with previous binging issues. So there is hope!

tobelowcarber 04-14-2013 02:42 PM

Jeanette- are you still on JUDD?

mojocat 04-14-2013 02:51 PM

Marika I was having the same issues and I'm back on the HCG and feeling fantastic. HCG seems to re-establish my relationship with food and gets me back on the right track. I hope one day to return to JUDDD because for me it is something I can do long-term but it did aggravate binging for me.

Have you read Julia Ross's book the diet cure? I will be transitioning onto amino acid therapy after my protocol. They are only taken temporarily until you don't need them anymore.

I don't know how to advise you and I know how you have been struggling along with myself. By the way I've noticed a new honey flavour in liquid stevia; it could be a way to deal with the honey craving.

tobelowcarber 04-14-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojocat (Post 16372840)
Marika I was having the same issues and I'm back on the HCG and feeling fantastic. HCG seems to re-establish my relationship with food and gets me back on the right track. I hope one day to return to JUDDD because for me it is something I can do long-term but it did aggravate binging for me.

Have you read Julia Ross's book the diet cure? I will be transitioning onto amino acid therapy after my protocol. They are only taken temporarily until you don't need them anymore.

I don't know how to advise you and I know how you have been struggling along with myself. By the way I've noticed a new honey flavour in liquid stevia; it could be a way to deal with the honey craving.

Oh, Mojo- please don't tell me about honey flavored stevia :lol:

Yes, I read her book. I am just reluctant to take anything. I have such a sensitive system, that less I take the better. I got the l-glutamine last week and took 1 dosage and then chickened out.

Jbinme 04-14-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16372832)
Jeanette- are you still on JUDD?

No. The last time I restarted JUDDD I started binging again unfortunatly:( I wish it wasn't like that for me because I love everything else about JUDDD.
I am eating about the same amount of calories as my UDs everyday and I lost 9lbs in 2 weeks. I'm so close to goal that I can taste it!
Of course it's different for everyone. Make sure and eat the fat!
Do you eat any co?

tobelowcarber 04-15-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbinme (Post 16372893)
I am eating about the same amount of calories as my UDs everyday and I lost 9lbs in 2 weeks. I'm so close to goal that I can taste it!
Of course it's different for everyone. Make sure and eat the fat!
Do you eat any co?

Congrats on losing 9 lb :clap:

Yes, I eat co.