Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
My family is beginning to get it.

I visited my daughter and grandson yesterday. This is NOT a low carb household. My son in law loves to cook ouside but has always been an advocate of 'balanced meals' which of course means way too many carbs.
Yesterday however he grlled up some tastily seasoned pork chops and eggplant. A delicious lc meal that was completely satisfying.
He commented on me being "lean and tight as a drum" and this launched a discussion of various dietary styles.
He surprised me when he admitted that he was his thinnest and healthiest when he used lettuce as a replacement for bread. All burgers, wraps, burritos etc. that he made 'back in the day' were wrapped in lettuce. He loved the juicy crunchyness and was thin and fit.
Of course this begged the question "So why not eat that way now"? He paused for a moment and said "Maybe I will"
Here's hopin'

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Awesome!! My 12 yr old daughter is really getting into LC lately and I Love it! She's about 5'7 already and on the bigger side since she started her period! She and her BFF decided they want to join Cross country/Track next yr so they've been jogging and trying to eat better. I just Pray it sticks!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
One cousin just started lc a few weeks ago! That is a miracle with our family. She is losing weight and feeling great. My in laws were even thinking about trying lc. This, after they all told me how dangerous and unhealthy low carb is! What a change and it only took ten years.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
Awesome!! My 12 yr old daughter is really getting into LC lately and I Love it! She's about 5'7 already and on the bigger side since she started her period! She and her BFF decided they want to join Cross country/Track next yr so they've been jogging and trying to eat better. I just Pray it sticks!
That's wonderful!

Please be sure to get her a supportive bra if she needs it. My son is on the track team for his school and I see so many of the "developed" girls bounce around way too much while they run. I don't think they know that what are marketed as "sports bras" in Target and dept stores REALLY are not if you are bigger than a B cup.

Moving Comfort is my favorite brand, but there are others. They are pricey, but worth it. Teach her to wash in cold and don't put it in the dryer and it will last longer.

If you want to help her keep motivated sign her up for a race with her friend. There are lots of them just for girls and women and others with fun themes and they almost always raise money for charity.

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
What a change and it only took ten years.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
I was the originator of Atkins in my family when I was 23. Now I'm 35. About 3 years ago mom got on board...some. Now for about 6 months, everyone jumped on and are doing great! Most are totally commited which is huge. I've never seen my family this thin before!

Here's to hoping everyone jumps on your train!
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
Congrats on getting someone on board! I have given up trying to get my family on board. DD eats so much carby stuff I gain 5 lbs just from watching her eat and DH is about as close to LC as he's gonna get. I got him to give up white bread and he eats peanut butter out of the jar and beef jerky like it's going out of style. I guess that's as good as it's gonna get.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Thanks Gina! I'll look into that for sure!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dariasen
Stats: 241/228/150-140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 3/14/13
DH will never change his eating habits and I accept that. He eats what he wants when he's out and then eats what I make him when he's home. He's learned not to complain about what I cook.
DS is 6 and wants to be healthy...but has a 6yo view on what that means. Everyday after school he'll ask for a healthy snack...when I give him his options he'll then ask for ice cream because "it's milk and that's good for me". It always reminds me of the Bill Cosby routine where he gives his kids chocolate cake for breakfast because it has milk, egg and flour in it.
dariasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariasen View Post
DH will never change his eating habits and I accept that. He eats what he wants when he's out and then eats what I make him when he's home. He's learned not to complain about what I cook.
DS is 6 and wants to be healthy...but has a 6yo view on what that means. Everyday after school he'll ask for a healthy snack...when I give him his options he'll then ask for ice cream because "it's milk and that's good for me". It always reminds me of the Bill Cosby routine where he gives his kids chocolate cake for breakfast because it has milk, egg and flour in it.
Dad is great. Gives us the chocolate cake.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I visited my daughter and grandson yesterday. This is NOT a low carb household. My son in law loves to cook ouside but has always been an advocate of 'balanced meals' which of course means way too many carbs.
Yesterday however he grlled up some tastily seasoned pork chops and eggplant. A delicious lc meal that was completely satisfying.
He commented on me being "lean and tight as a drum" and this launched a discussion of various dietary styles.
He surprised me when he admitted that he was his thinnest and healthiest when he used lettuce as a replacement for bread. All burgers, wraps, burritos etc. that he made 'back in the day' were wrapped in lettuce. He loved the juicy crunchyness and was thin and fit.
Of course this begged the question "So why not eat that way now"? He paused for a moment and said "Maybe I will"
Here's hopin'
That's great avid! I'll cross my fingers along with you! I know I wish my dad would start following this WOE with me... he's really the only family I've got that's close to me, and his diet is whatever processed garbage comes out of a can or chip bag or snack cake box or frozen food aisle It's got to feel great to finally see someone you care about GET it. Good for you for being a positive role model for them!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Almost as good as a success story is to hear how someone healthy is inspiring and/or motivating someone else. Thanks for sharing, Avid!
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote