Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #31
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
It depends on your build. I don't have bones jutting out anywhere and I am 110 at 5'6. But, I also have a really small frame and small bust.

If these charts made people go out and achieve very low weights we wouldnt have an obesity epidemic.
I'm 5'3" and small-framed. I would have to lose all the fat on my body plus some LBM to weigh 110.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
I am in N.Z. and I am sad to say our rate is third behind the US and Australia for obesity last time I looked.
BMI is a mathematical formula based on desirable weight not averages so it is not meant to change even in a slim country.

weight(kg) divided by height(mtrs)X2 is the metric formula.
The last article I saw listed the 10 fattest countries in the developed world and the us was first, new zealand was third, and Australia 5th.

I think that site is just different because they factored in frame sizes and then decided to set the overweight range at a lower BMI.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Yeah,bit of a dodgy way of doing it I just checked and it had changed again...

It is now
1:USA
2:Mexico
3:NZ
4:Australia.

*sigh*we beat the aussies..yay?
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I'm 5'3" and small-framed. I would have to lose all the fat on my body plus some LBM to weigh 110.

I think there's more to it than just frame size. I definitely am not at zero body fat and my height/weight aren't unusual. Are you very muscular?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
Yeah,bit of a dodgy way of doing it I just checked and it had changed again...

It is now
1:USA
2:Mexico
3:NZ
4:Australia.

*sigh*we beat the aussies..yay?
top 5 for the win!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
oops better not slight Queen and country,The UK got 5th...
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't go by BMI at all. I go by BF%. My aim is to keep my LBM, lose the excess fat, and get down to an ideal of 20% BF at 185-190 lbs. At 5'6.5" with a large frame, that would still put me in the overweight category of BMI charts, but I don't care.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #38
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
It depends on your build. I don't have bones jutting out anywhere and I am 110 at 5'6. But, I also have a really small frame and small bust.

If these charts made people go out and achieve very low weights we wouldnt have an obesity epidemic.
I agree-when I was 170lbs+ I thought 140 would make me look really thin (my original goal). Fast forward to now and my weight this morning was 129.5lbs and no bones sticking out I'm very pear shaped my bottom half (mostly my caboose lol), is where I've noticed the last pounds coming off. I've gone from a size 14 jeans to a size 4 jean, over the course of my weight loss. However on top I've gone from a size large shirt to a size medium and still wear the same bra band size. Now someone shaped differently than me but weigh the same/same height as I am (5ft, 6in), is going to look different based on where they carry their extra oomph.

My bmi went from the overweight category to the normal category, but I don't really put much stock in that, since there's so many factors that it doesn't consider.

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-14-2013 at 03:01 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
See that's what I find weird for me mom23kids. I'm 153 this morning and wear size 6 jeans But some 8's depending on the brand. Medium tops some large. It's so weird to me because I Always thought i'd have to be around 130 or so to wear those sizes. It's taking some getting used to for me.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #40
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
I think there's more to it than just frame size. I definitely am not at zero body fat and my height/weight aren't unusual. Are you very muscular?
No, I'm not. I do weight training but I'm not noticeably muscular. Women rarely get that way.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #41
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
See that's what I find weird for me mom23kids. I'm 153 this morning and wear size 6 jeans But some 8's depending on the brand. Medium tops some large. It's so weird to me because I Always thought i'd have to be around 130 or so to wear those sizes. It's taking some getting used to for me.
If I remember correctly, I couldn't start wearing 6's until I was solidly in the 130s. It really does come down to, every one of us is shaped differently, carries our weight differently and then you throw in different brands that all have different ideas of what a certain size should fit, and it's a big random mess
Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I carry my weight around the abs. After 3 pregnancies plus 5 surgeries in that area my stomach is a Hott Mess! It'll never look good again But i'm determined to get it as good as I can! I bought a pair of older american eagle outfitter jeans at a yard sale a few weeks ago in a size 8 and can't button them! But I have a pair of Old Navy size 6 that fit perfect! Drives me nuts!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #43
Established

Quote:
I carry my weight around the abs. After 3 pregnancies plus 5 surgeries in that area my stomach is a Hott Mess! It'll never look good again But i'm determined to get it as good as I can! I bought a pair of older american eagle outfitter jeans at a yard sale a few weeks ago in a size 8 and can't button them! But I have a pair of Old Navy size 6 that fit perfect! Drives me nuts!
My stomach is actually my best area-go figure lol. I also had three pregnancies, but carried them towards the back. With my last one, my son, I measured 30 weeks the day before I gave birth and my doctor was freaking out-had an 8lb baby and was 4 days overdue I only have one small stretch mark and my stomach is totally flat looking, until I bend over and then I get a pouch going. However, my pregnancies gave me awful vericose veins that start at my ankles and go up, up, up Last year I got a blood clot in one of them and really need to have surgery on them one day sigh....
Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
If I remember correctly, I couldn't start wearing 6's until I was solidly in the 130s. It really does come down to, every one of us is shaped differently, carries our weight differently and then you throw in different brands that all have different ideas of what a certain size should fit, and it's a big random mess
This is probably gonna be me, I just now fit in 8's at 140. I will probably get into 6's at 130 something. I carry my weight in my middle, butt and thighs. LOL!!! Princessmommy you are doing great.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
It's maddening how different clothes companies have completely different measurements for the same size. In mens pants it's even worse. We don't have 'sizes' per se. We have waist measurments. So how come if my waist measures 34" some pants in supposedly 34" waist will swim on me and others won't button at all? I mean I know clothes are made all over the world these days, but in what country is 34" not really 34"?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote