LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
What are the rules of carb eating?

I'm not talking about going off my plan, but if I eat something more carby than usual, say some lc pancakes that I ordered, should they be eaten early in the day or late in the day and I've also heard something about combining a certain food group with carbs - fat, protein?
Nanner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
it makes no difference if they contain a reasonable amount of protein and/or fat.If they don't then you should add some to buffer the insulin response.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Add fat to them, not extra protein... protein can actually ADD to the insulin response in some people, if it's in excess. Adding fat is what buffers the insulin response generally, but keep in mind that if you're extremely insulin resistant YMMV and this may help you very little or not at all.

Also, I don't believe time of day has any effect except in those who are diabetic or in need of measuring their blood sugar levels. Some people tolerate more carbs first thing in the morning than others do. Myself personally, if I were going to eat a carb heavy meal I'd rather do it at NIGHT though... simply because I could probably sleep off most of the nasty cravings I was likely to get from eating too much of it!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't do well with more carbs earlier in the day, even if they're from veggie sources. They tend to set of a hunger cycle that sets me up to eat more throughout the day. I'm talking even a reasonable amount of non-starchy veggies. Even in induction, like now, I tend to backload my carbier meals, so that I have them later in the day. That works best for me. Others have the opposite reaction, so they do things differently.

I always always always have fat with carbs. Sometimes protein and fat, but always fat, to slow down the absorption rate and increase satiation.

So if I were to have something like LC pancakes, or LC bread, it would have to be with my evening meal, and with something fatty

ETA: I'm not diabetic, nor do I have blood sugar issues. But over the years, I've figured out that this works best for me.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 04-13-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote