Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MintyToucan
Psych drugs stored in fat cells?

Is this possible? If so I'm wondering if anyone has a credible source. A quick Google search led me to a thread that seemed to describe exactly what I'm going through - but with no sources linking to scientific evidence. Anything I find on the subject seems to be anecdotal with people insisting it's not true that drugs can be stored in fat cells for a long period of time or that it hasn't been proven. Here's a more detailed timeline than I've given in previous posts:

??? 2005: 14 years old. 5'11". 160 lbs. Started psych meds
SEP 2008: 6'0". Over 320 lbs. Started trying to go off the psych meds
AUG 2009: Off all the meds the first time
DEC 2010: By this point I'm 260 lbs (w/o low carb)
JAN 2010: A tragedy occurred, went back on psych meds
APR 2010: By this time I'm around 320 lbs again. No exercise, no diet.
OCT 2010: "Officially off the meds"
MAY 2012: Year and a half later, down to 290 lbs (w/o low carb)
MAY 2012: Learned about paleo, LCHF, et cetera. Started diet
APR 2013: 219 lbs

As you can see, in my post posts on this forum I left out the part about how I got down to 260 at one point since it was so short-lived and was before I knew about low carb. And just to clarify an error, in a past post I accidentally said I started my diet "March of 2012" when I meant "May of 2012." I had the month 5 in my head but for some reason I put March and it won't let me edit my post.

As for what psych drugs I was on, I think in my short life I've been on almost everything in the book, but in 2008 the final cocktail I went off of was: aripiprazole, risperidone, valproic acid, bupropion, escitalopram, clonidine, zolpidem, clonazepam. (I've never hallucinated or tried to kill anyone. The psych meds are a very long story.) I don't remember exactly which drugs I was on the second point... they were still "trying things out" before I decided to quit again.

Anyway, back to the point of me making this thread, the reason I suspect psych drugs are somehow stored in my fat cells and coming back to haunt me is, that over the past few days, I've found myself sleeping 9-10 hours (instead of my usual 6-7 hours) and waking up VERY groggy. This grogginess seems like the same exact grogginess I felt as a teenager on psych meds, and it seems to be out of nowhere since I'm not on them anymore (and the rapid weight loss is continuing.) My previous thread is a pretty accurate portrayal of what my current eating habits are, but the sleeping 9-10 hours and feeling groggy is brand new.

Hopefully this new excess sleep and grogginess have nothing to do with the old psych meds and they are long gone from my body. Any ideas? Scientific articles would be helpful.

Last edited by MintyToucan; 04-13-2013 at 10:25 AM..
MintyToucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I know that lipophilic drugs tend to accumulate in fat tissues and it can cause problems when you are losing weight. I am not sure about the ones that you listed.

I just did a quick google search.

How long do drugs stay in your system? Drug Facts and the Body

http://www.able.org/studies/detox/drug_storage.pdf
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I'm not sure about the psych meds...
I know I feel very groggy, lack of energy, and sleep longer hours when I'm not getting enough calories. Do you think that could be a problem for you?

Another thing to consider is an underactive thyroid. And I believe some psych meds can predispose to thyroid problems. So that might be worth a quick blood test from the doc.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Well, THC (active ingredient in marijuana) is stored in fat cells, so why not psych meds?

Looking at your other thread, your fat-content seems nice and high, which should be providing the energy you need.

I'd suggest getting a good supplement-routine going, just to cover any potential deficiencies. (A solid multi, like Alpha-Betic. Some extra C, E, D, fish oils, chromium if it's not in your multi, and a cal/mag/zinc supplement. Co-enzyme Q-10, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, and L Carnatine will also help with energy.)

Talk to your doc, if you can, and ask for a thyroid test.

If you don't HAVE a doc/insurance, there are places you can get it done without seeing one. Google "order a blood test online" and you'll get a number of options.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%

Last edited by LiterateGriffin; 04-13-2013 at 07:10 PM..
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I know that lipophilic drugs tend to accumulate in fat tissues and it can cause problems when you are losing weight. I am not sure about the ones that you listed.

I just did a quick google search.

How long do drugs stay in your system? Drug Facts and the Body

http://www.able.org/studies/detox/drug_storage.pdf
Awesome information! Thanks for posting!
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote