LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Abdul1993
Stats: 165/150/150
WOE: 25-30 grams of carbs a day
Start Date: 1/24/12
Spry Gum

Should this gum be okay for low carbers? I was looking at couple of the gum at store and they had couple of ingredients that slow weight loss plus they had aspartame.

100% Xylitol
Sugarfree
Spry Dental Defense System®
Spry - Improving Oral Health
Frequent eating of foods high in sugars and starches can promote tooth decay. Clinical studies have shown that the use of xylitol in a daily basis, spread throughout the day, may reduce the risk of tooth decay and improve overall oral health. After each meal - chew Spry Gum for at least 5 minutes.
Ask your dentist and hygienist about the amazing benefits of xylitol.
No GMO
Gluten Free
Sweetened only with Xylitol

Xylitol, gum base, natural flavors, glycerin, gum arabic, soy lecithin, and beeswax.

.72 grams of carbs per piece
Abdul1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Spry is fine. I prefer xyloburst (for the flavor). And, they both are sweetened with xylitol and have a good amount of it, unlike other xylitol gums that have just a tiny bit of xylitol and are mostly aspartame.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Abdul1993
Stats: 165/150/150
WOE: 25-30 grams of carbs a day
Start Date: 1/24/12
Thank you for the alternative
Abdul1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I've never seen these gums. Are they new? Found near the checkout at grocery/box stores? I'd love to try them!
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

No, they aren't new. They just aren't mainstream gums that you can find in most supermarkets. You can get them in health food stores and online.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/169; 5'6", 52 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
ymmv...

the process of chewing gum that has long lost its flavor stalled my weight loss big time. until i quit it altogether, i was driven up a wall with cravings. i'd often chew the same piece of gum all day, until it practically dissolved. it wasn't so much the flavoring but the actual process of chewing that killed me.

diet pop does NOT do this to me, at least overtly. i do find that if i'm craving, i can have a diet pop, and i'm satisfied for a long while afterward. this tells me, it's not the artificial sweetener but the chewing itself that ruins it for me. of course, this doesn't negate what's going on inside my body chemically.

(i added the comment to my signature line a month ago after i discovered this. it was a major staller for me.)

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-13-2013 at 09:20 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
ymmv...

the process of chewing gum that has long lost its flavor stalled my weight loss big time. until i quit it altogether, i was driven up a wall with cravings. i'd often chew the same piece of gum all day, until it practically dissolved. it wasn't so much the flavoring but the actual process of chewing that killed me.

(i added the comment to my signature line a month ago after i discovered this. it was a major staller for me.)
Are you saying that the chewing increased your cravings and made you go off plan? I don't understand how chewing one piece of sugarfree gum can stall weight loss otherwise.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Are you saying that the chewing increased your cravings and made you go off plan? I don't understand how chewing one piece of sugarfree gum can stall weight loss otherwise.
no, it didn't make me go off plan because i stuck with it despite the turmoil. it made me miserable in my cravings and kept me from losing properly.

i didn't see how that could do it either; however, i found in a book of Dr. heller how gum stalls some people. after chewing gum for decades, i thought i'd give it a shot. sure enough, within a few weeks of quitting, i lost 15 pounds. i am a slow loser, so that was a big milestone for me. this loss came after i'd already lost a great deal of weight. btw, my calorie/carb ratios never changed (i keep meticulous records). the only thing i did differently was drop the gum. i'd never lost 15 pounds in a few weeks in my entire life!!! even at the beginning of my diet, i lost only around 10 pounds per month!

i used gum as a crutch, for years. i know for me, it made a world of difference. ymmv

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-13-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
no, it didn't make me go off plan because i stuck with it despite the turmoil. it made me miserable in my cravings and kept me from losing properly.

i didn't see how that could do it either; however, i found in a book of Dr. heller how gum stalls some people. after chewing gum for decades, i thought i'd give it a shot. sure enough, within a few weeks of quitting, i lost 15 pounds. i am a slow loser, so that was a big milestone for me. this loss came after i'd already lost a great deal of weight. btw, my calorie/carb ratios never changed (i keep meticulous records). the only thing i did differently was drop the gum. i'd never lost 15 pounds in a few weeks in my entire life!!! even at the beginning of my diet, i lost only around 10 pounds per month!

i used gum as a crutch, for years. i know for me, it made a world of difference. ymmv
that's really interesting and a good thing that you figured it out. Must have been your body reacting to the artificial sweeteners as real sugar. I always have a few xylitol gums a day with no effect on weight.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

i've been obese since a child. i do believe people like me are different, so so messed up metabolically. the only reason i never ended up 500 pounds is cause i stifled cravings, rarely giving into them.

when i realized the gum thing, i kicked myself that i didn't try quitting sooner. i had a huge stash of gum i'd gotten on clearance. i gave them away to a skinny friend.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-13-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Old 04-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I believe the brain uses chewing as a signal regarding food input and satiety.If your system was still a little broken the chewing must have triggered insulin instead.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote