Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Spry Gum (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801997-spry-gum.html)

Abdul1993 04-13-2013 08:05 AM

Spry Gum

Should this gum be okay for low carbers? I was looking at couple of the gum at store and they had couple of ingredients that slow weight loss plus they had aspartame.

100% Xylitol
Sugarfree
Spry Dental Defense SystemŽ
Spry - Improving Oral Health
Frequent eating of foods high in sugars and starches can promote tooth decay. Clinical studies have shown that the use of xylitol in a daily basis, spread throughout the day, may reduce the risk of tooth decay and improve overall oral health. After each meal - chew Spry Gum for at least 5 minutes.
Ask your dentist and hygienist about the amazing benefits of xylitol.
No GMO
Gluten Free
Sweetened only with Xylitol

Xylitol, gum base, natural flavors, glycerin, gum arabic, soy lecithin, and beeswax.

.72 grams of carbs per piece

nolcjunk 04-13-2013 08:24 AM

Spry is fine. I prefer xyloburst (for the flavor). And, they both are sweetened with xylitol and have a good amount of it, unlike other xylitol gums that have just a tiny bit of xylitol and are mostly aspartame.

Abdul1993 04-13-2013 08:36 AM

Thank you for the alternative

mainemom 04-13-2013 09:03 AM

I've never seen these gums. Are they new? Found near the checkout at grocery/box stores? I'd love to try them!

nolcjunk 04-13-2013 09:11 AM

No, they aren't new. They just aren't mainstream gums that you can find in most supermarkets. You can get them in health food stores and online.

jenericstewart 04-13-2013 09:18 AM

ymmv...

the process of chewing gum that has long lost its flavor stalled my weight loss big time. until i quit it altogether, i was driven up a wall with cravings. i'd often chew the same piece of gum all day, until it practically dissolved. it wasn't so much the flavoring but the actual process of chewing that killed me.

diet pop does NOT do this to me, at least overtly. i do find that if i'm craving, i can have a diet pop, and i'm satisfied for a long while afterward. this tells me, it's not the artificial sweetener but the chewing itself that ruins it for me. of course, this doesn't negate what's going on inside my body chemically.

(i added the comment to my signature line a month ago after i discovered this. it was a major staller for me.)

nolcjunk 04-13-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenericstewart (Post 16370723)
ymmv...

the process of chewing gum that has long lost its flavor stalled my weight loss big time. until i quit it altogether, i was driven up a wall with cravings. i'd often chew the same piece of gum all day, until it practically dissolved. it wasn't so much the flavoring but the actual process of chewing that killed me.

(i added the comment to my signature line a month ago after i discovered this. it was a major staller for me.)

Are you saying that the chewing increased your cravings and made you go off plan? I don't understand how chewing one piece of sugarfree gum can stall weight loss otherwise.

jenericstewart 04-13-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16370728)
Are you saying that the chewing increased your cravings and made you go off plan? I don't understand how chewing one piece of sugarfree gum can stall weight loss otherwise.

no, it didn't make me go off plan because i stuck with it despite the turmoil. it made me miserable in my cravings and kept me from losing properly.

i didn't see how that could do it either; however, i found in a book of Dr. heller how gum stalls some people. after chewing gum for decades, i thought i'd give it a shot. sure enough, within a few weeks of quitting, i lost 15 pounds. i am a slow loser, so that was a big milestone for me. this loss came after i'd already lost a great deal of weight. btw, my calorie/carb ratios never changed (i keep meticulous records). the only thing i did differently was drop the gum. i'd never lost 15 pounds in a few weeks in my entire life!!! even at the beginning of my diet, i lost only around 10 pounds per month!

i used gum as a crutch, for years. i know for me, it made a world of difference. ymmv

nolcjunk 04-13-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenericstewart (Post 16370736)
no, it didn't make me go off plan because i stuck with it despite the turmoil. it made me miserable in my cravings and kept me from losing properly.

i didn't see how that could do it either; however, i found in a book of Dr. heller how gum stalls some people. after chewing gum for decades, i thought i'd give it a shot. sure enough, within a few weeks of quitting, i lost 15 pounds. i am a slow loser, so that was a big milestone for me. this loss came after i'd already lost a great deal of weight. btw, my calorie/carb ratios never changed (i keep meticulous records). the only thing i did differently was drop the gum. i'd never lost 15 pounds in a few weeks in my entire life!!! even at the beginning of my diet, i lost only around 10 pounds per month!

i used gum as a crutch, for years. i know for me, it made a world of difference. ymmv

that's really interesting and a good thing that you figured it out. Must have been your body reacting to the artificial sweeteners as real sugar. I always have a few xylitol gums a day with no effect on weight.

jenericstewart 04-13-2013 09:35 AM

i've been obese since a child. i do believe people like me are different, so so messed up metabolically. the only reason i never ended up 500 pounds is cause i stifled cravings, rarely giving into them.

when i realized the gum thing, i kicked myself that i didn't try quitting sooner. i had a huge stash of gum i'd gotten on clearance. i gave them away to a skinny friend. :)

kiwistars 04-13-2013 01:33 PM

I believe the brain uses chewing as a signal regarding food input and satiety.If your system was still a little broken the chewing must have triggered insulin instead.