Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What numbers should I be aiming for? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801979-what-numbers-should-i-aiming.html)

KashaUK2000 04-12-2013 06:22 PM

What numbers should I be aiming for?

Okay so ideally I should be at 20g carbs per day - I'm hitting that, not feeling hungry, loving what I'm eating, and only wanting carbs due to habits in my eating rather than due to cravings; e.g. I've always had deserts after meals.

I've been reducing my carb intake for about a month, but only started doing 20g carbs per day this week. I've felt a little dizzy on and off, I also look tired. I'm concerned that this isn't just a normal reaction to going low-carb, but instead a result of not getting enough calories, fats or protein. I've been keeping note and realised that my calorie intake is well under 2000 per day, but I've no idea what fat or protein I should be eating per day...

I've been told protein should be half my body weight - so if I weigh 160lb I should be eating approximately 80g protein (which I'm hitting 50% of the time), but what about fat?

When it comes to fat there's conflicting information - can someone also confirm...any natural fats are okay, right?

ravenrose 04-12-2013 07:46 PM

that is plenty of food for your size. I don't think that's the issue. are you low on sodium?

reddarin 04-12-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KashaUK2000 (Post 16370075)
Okay so ideally I should be at 20g carbs per day - I'm hitting that, not feeling hungry, loving what I'm eating, and only wanting carbs due to habits in my eating rather than due to cravings; e.g. I've always had deserts after meals.

I've been reducing my carb intake for about a month, but only started doing 20g carbs per day this week. I've felt a little dizzy on and off, I also look tired. I'm concerned that this isn't just a normal reaction to going low-carb, but instead a result of not getting enough calories, fats or protein. I've been keeping note and realised that my calorie intake is well under 2000 per day, but I've no idea what fat or protein I should be eating per day...

I've been told protein should be half my body weight - so if I weigh 160lb I should be eating approximately 80g protein (which I'm hitting 50% of the time), but what about fat?

When it comes to fat there's conflicting information - can someone also confirm...any natural fats are okay, right?

Don't think in terms of 'natural' fat, think in terms of high in mono or sat fats and avoid high PUFA oils (which usually are unnatural).

Dizziness and fatigue are usually an electrolyte problem. LC isn't a low sodium way of eating so unless you have a health condition precluding it be liberal with the salt shaker. Have a cup or two of broth/bouillon a day. Consider supplementing with potassium if you don't take BP meds. Supplement with magnesium - it is a player in something like 200 processes in your body including fat mobilization and bathroom time.

Without knowing your ideal weight and your current activity level it is about impossible to say if you are eating enough. At 160 if you are an active adult 2000 is probably low enough to lose weight. Health conditions and meds can impact that along with age and activity level. But you don't need exercise to lose weight so I'm not brow beating you about 'getting active'.

Google 'jimmy moore magnesium robbins' for an excellent podcast about the importance of magnesium.

Google 'jimmy moore vitamins bowden' for an excellent podcast about supplements and LC.

Google 'dr eades tips & tricks' for some great information about getting through induction (even if you are through induction).

80g of protein sounds okay but it really depends on your ideal weight. Probably you'll be fine between 80g and 120g.

Lastly, you asked what about fat. Most of your calories should come from fat. So, if you are eating 80g of protein that is about 320 calories. If you are eating 50g of total carbs (net 20g) that is about 200 calories. A total of about 500 calories. So, as you can see, the rest of your calories are from fat.

Say you ate a generic 6oz steak. My logger shows that to be 428 calories. But that isn't all protein calories. It is:

25.5g fat for 229 calories
46.4g protein for 186 calories

...see how that chunk of meat is ~53% fat and ~43% protein?

LiterateGriffin 04-13-2013 06:46 PM

When I'm looking for something to eat, I don't worry about my protein. I worry about getting enough fat.

Fat is what leaves us feeling satisfied, and provides energy.

First choice is saturated fats. (Yes, I know -- they spent 20 years telling you saturated fat will kill you. But when everyone lived on butter and bacon, we had a lot less heart disease! Trust me -- the "science" that lead to the conclusion they're dangerous was SERIOUSLY flawed.) Dietary cholesterol is a vital nutrient -- that's why it's plentiful in mother's milk, because our brains don't work without it! -- and a lack of it triggers our body to over-produce serum cholesterol.

Next are mono-unsaturated fats... Things like olive oil (and olives,avocados, and nuts.

Then the Omega-3s, etc.

At all costs, avoid "trans fats" or anything that's "hydrogenated" or "partially-hydrogenated". These are not foods. These are poisons that will kill you. (The initial human studies that showed saturated fats are bad for you? Were actually using THESE, not saturated fats!! Which is ironic, because those studies were used to justify replacing healthy saturated fats with deadly "hydrogenated oils".)

My protein pretty much takes care of itself. If I'm getting my fats from nuts or cheese, those are also protein sources. And I usually have a meat-meal with my family at least once per day. My main goal is to eat enough fat, so I stop being hungry. The green leafies an protein I don't worry about -- it's pretty hard NOT to get enough of those! :)

clackley 04-14-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KashaUK2000 (Post 16370075)

Sound like induction flu. Be sure to consume 2 cups of chicken broth to alleviate the symptoms. It is a common complaint and I would not be concerned about not eating enough unless you are low on body fat.