Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Whipped Cream Dispenser (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801969-whipped-cream-dispenser.html)

AmelieWannabe 04-12-2013 12:20 PM

Whipped Cream Dispenser

After dragging out my mixer for the bazillionth time to whip heavy cream, I decided I'd rather purchase a whipped cream dispenser (those nifty gadgets like they have at Starbucks). Any recommendations on brands? How long does one of the nitrous oxide charges last? Can I store the dispenser with unwhipped cream in the fridge, even if it has been charged? Any advice you can give is appreciated; I don't want to waste $50 if these things are duds.

Patience 04-12-2013 12:24 PM

See the discussion on the cool whip thread . . . it turned to a discussion of whipped cream and dispensers. I am in the market too!

AmelieWannabe 04-12-2013 12:29 PM

Thanks! The Isi was the brand I was considering. It was crazy expensive at Williams Sonoma but affordable on Amazon. Looks like I'll be purchasing one soon.

Patience 04-12-2013 12:42 PM

That's kind of my thinking, too.
Haven't taken action yet, though.

Dottie 04-12-2013 12:46 PM

isi brand is what I had. Cartridge lasts for 1 batch (I had the 1 pint size).

PaminKY 04-12-2013 12:53 PM

I have the half-pint Isi and I love it. You can store it in the fridge after charging then just shake it a few times before dispensing.

Ntombi 04-12-2013 12:58 PM

Whether to get the half or whole pint is the big question. The chargers only last until you open it again, so if you're going to go through a whole pint quickly enough that it won't spoil, I'd get the larger version. Otherwise, you'll be using twice as many chargers. Does that make sense?

The cream lasts as long as it would normally in the fridge, which is about a month.

The iSi is a great little gadget though. I don't use mine often, but I do love it.

Patience 04-12-2013 02:02 PM

Ntombe, have you ever used your frother to whip a small amount of cream?
Is it even possible?

AmelieWannabe 04-12-2013 02:02 PM

I just made my first batch of whipped cream with my new dispenser. I bought a Chefmaster brand at Ace Restaurant Supply. For the 1 pint dispenser, 10 cartridges, and tax, the total was just under $32. Yep, I cheaped out, figuring I'd buy the least expensive model I could find to test the waters. It works like a charm!

Ntombi 04-12-2013 02:03 PM

Yes. When I'm only doing a little and don't want to waste a charger, the frother works just fine.

Patience 04-12-2013 02:13 PM

Cool, that's what I was hoping for.

Patience 04-12-2013 02:14 PM

Amelie, you are a woman of action!

ravenrose 04-12-2013 02:15 PM

I don't really recommend this. I used it ok for a long while, but it's gotten so I can't get all the parts clean enough, no matter what I do. the cream tastes soured, and not in a good way, far too quickly. sort of moldy.

it is SO easy to whip with a hand electric mixer in a bowl, and a lot more sanitary, I think.

AmelieWannabe 04-12-2013 02:15 PM

That I am. It helps that Ace is only 10 minutes from my house. Also, I was craving something sweet so figured it was a good time to try out some fresh whipped cream.

Patience 04-12-2013 03:00 PM

I am going to try a frother for just a small amount, and then consider a Bullet or iSi. I am a woman of indecision and inaction!

DairyQueen 04-12-2013 04:02 PM

I've had my isi for about five years now and it's still going strong and i love it!! I add a splash of sugar free syrups to add just a little sweetness and pouf, magic.

fiddlejen 04-12-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16369689)
I don't really recommend this. I used it ok for a long while, but it's gotten so I can't get all the parts clean enough, no matter what I do. the cream tastes soured, and not in a good way, far too quickly. sort of moldy.

it is SO easy to whip with a hand electric mixer in a bowl, and a lot more sanitary, I think.

Are you referring to the iSi cream whipper? I have that problem on rare occasions. (Usually only when I haven't used it in a while.) I got a very thin bottle brush from Fuller Brush to clean the inside hard-to-clean parts when needed. Also, when it develops that sour odor, I wash the whole thing not just with warm water & soap, but also baking soda too. This gets it all the way clean. Rinse good & then air-dry, and it's good to go again!

My local grocery store carries a form of sweetener drops called "Sweet 10." It's made of saccharine & water, no dextrose powder nor anything else that affects insulin reactions. Just recently I've tried adding about 10 drops (sweetness=1 tsp sugar) to the pint of cream, plus 1/8 tsp vanilla, and what's great is that a little half-cup of the resulting wc is usually enough to satisfy my desert cravings. :)

lterry913 04-12-2013 04:52 PM

If making by hand...You can make a bigger batch of whipped cream and add some egg white powder to it or stabilize it with dissolved plain gelatin...or just add a tbs of sf instant pudding mix...i make it a cup at a time or so add what ever stabilizer I have and some sweetener...lasts for days in fridge...kinda like cool whip.

Vilya 04-13-2013 07:26 AM

I thought I wanted a dispenser, but then I got a high-end hand mixer that has a whisk attachment, and it whips 1/4 cup of cream in about 30 seconds. I love it, and much cheaper in the long run (no cartridges).

Mistizoom 04-13-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vilya (Post 16370545)
I thought I wanted a dispenser, but then I got a high-end hand mixer that has a whisk attachment, and it whips 1/4 cup of cream in about 30 seconds. I love it, and much cheaper in the long run (no cartridges).

Ooohhh....I got a good quality hand mixer for Christmas but I haven't used the whisk attachment for whipping cream. I usually use the magic bullet but the texture isn't as good as it could be. Might have to try this before spending money on a dedicated dispenser. Thanks!