Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Babydoll
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2, 2013
I'm new to LC...anyone can answer my questions?

Hi everyone....I just joined, and not sure how to use these forums yet...I've only begun low carb on the 2nd, had a set back on the weekend (had some drinks) now I know, I can't do that! Haha...oh well...now I'm back on, but I'm not sure why my ketosis seems to fluctuate so much...anyone know why? I wasn't recording all that I ate, but I have started to now....it seems to me that it's within the set guidelines, but I'm very new at this...I don't even have a food scale yet....so I'm copying it here for others to see, and perhaps give me advice?

Wednesday:
Bkfst. Coffee with cream, 3 scrambled with leftover chk. breast, broccoli, jalapeņo and cheese.

Lunch: salad greens (about two cups) with 6-8 deli salami slices, shredded cheese and 10 olives; I used the olive oil/juice from the olives as dressing.

Dinner: salad greens (2 cups) with 2 eggs, scrambled with cheese, 1/2 avocado, and about 2 tbsp of tzatziki for dressing.

(Throughout the day, I will snack just by grabbing some salami or pepperoni sticks with a string cheese stick, or a pickle, or olives, sometimes laughing cow cheese triangles....I'll literally just stand at the counter and snack, I don't make a meal of it...haha)

Thursday:
Bkfst: 2 coffees, each with about a teaspoon of cream, I was in a rush, so I just stuffed some deli meats and cheese into my mouth, and out the door!! Haha

Lunch: 2 eggs, sprinkled with cheese, 2 slices bacon, one bite of breakfast sausage, two small slices of back bacon, and one small slice of ham....and a few cups of coffee with cream.

Dinner: (Swiss Chalet) 1/4 chicken, 4 ribs with no sauce, 3 pcs broccoli and 3 pcs cauliflower.

I drink lots of water, and I sometimes have a coke zero if I feel like I'm craving something...and I normally snack like I described above, but today I haven't.

So, am I just eating too much, or too little? I've been eating like this pretty much since Tuesday the 2nd, and I've only seen about four pounds go...I was hoping for much faster results to begin with
Babydoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
How are you feeling?

Your menu looks okay to me. Maybe a little bit high on protein but I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight the first couple of weeks. Your body needs to adjust to LC.

Last edited by reddarin; 04-11-2013 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: type
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I feel alright....not tired or anything like that...I just wasn't sure about the amounts of protein yet...I'll cut them back a bit, then....should I be adding a bit more fats?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
You've lost four pounds in just over a week. That's good news, I'm not quite sure why you're disappointed.

I really wouldn't start tweaking anything right now. Follow the rules of induction, don't overeat (eat only until you're satisfied, and don't snack mindlessly), and keep going.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
You've lost four pounds in just over a week. That's good news, I'm not quite sure why you're disappointed.

I really wouldn't start tweaking anything right now. Follow the rules of induction, don't overeat (eat only until you're satisfied, and don't snack mindlessly), and keep going.
This is what I was trying to say heh
Old 04-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
The 2002 Atkins suggests no more than 3 cups of salad/veggies TOPS a day.Olives are carby too! What you should be concentrating on is FAT. Eat as much as you can. The fattier your food is the LESS you eat of it. You are satiated quicker. If you want Veggies during your day limit them to a cup for each meal or a cup for two meals and 2 half cups for snacks. You could also try a cup three times a day for snacks.

READ your deli meats labels.. It's going to say (possibly) 0 sugars, but don't be fooled you are going to see sugar in the ingredients!

Write down everything you put into your body! Start yourself a journal(on here)! I would LOVE to read it! Put in your info when you get a chance at the end of the day. Take pics! Like a photo log. I am lame and I love doing it! OR get a pretty little diary to put in your purse and some fun colored pens! I do all of these! You will be surprised how much you are really consuming AND drinking! Here is another interesting fact! EGGS change carb counts depending on the way you cook them! When you scramble them the protein structure changes and they become 1.3 carbs an EGG!! Fried eggs are the least at .4 carbs.
My JUDDD info Thread
Come Read My Weight Loss Journal!
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Watch out for "pepperoni sticks" not slices..They will have sugar! Which is a no go! Make sure you breakfast sausage isn't heat and eat. They have sugar! AND Pickles (Vlassic especially) will have High fructose corn syrup! Even if you get a sugar free pickle, they are still 1 carb a pickle spear!?! Eat them sparingly! =) I limit myself to two-four a day, because I'm a greedy carb hog and I want more food. =D

Laughing cow cheese (the garden veggie) is 1 carb a wedge and they are AMAZING on a pepperoni slice! My fav small meal is 14 pepperoni rounds, one wedge of LC, and two pickle spears. Pretty filling! PS nuts are a no no on induction (for the first two weeks for sure)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca1979 View Post

Here is another interesting fact! EGGS change carb counts depending on the way you cook them! When you scramble them the protein structure changes and they become 1.3 carbs an EGG!! Fried eggs are the least at .4 carbs.
That's not true. Proteins, carbohydrates, and fats can't suddenly change into one another that way. It's chemically impossible. The difference is in how they're measured. Often, scrambled eggs are listed by volume (or weight), not per egg. If you look at one large egg, it's the same count for protein, fat, carbs, no matter how it's cooked. I'm not counting added fats, just the egg.

Last edited by Ntombi; 04-12-2013 at 01:08 AM..
Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you ma'am! I stand corrected. =D
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
Looks ok. I would maybe watch the amount of cheese you eat. I'm not sure of the other Atkins plans but the 2002 has a limit of I think 2 oz a day on induction. Maybe try to add a bit more fat in. Also, you may want to measure your veggies carefully to make sure you are really within the guidelines - it's easy to eat more veggies than you realize especially when you love them like I do.

Do you have an Atkins book? Have you read the rules for induction? I really think having the book is an important step to success. I wore out my first copy of the book reading and rereading.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca1979 View Post
Thank you ma'am! I stand corrected. =D
No worries. It's confusing that you can't always find the info one to one for eggs, like just one egg scrambled. The differences in how things are listed in nutrition databases can be frustrating. Sometimes I just add things in the raw state and move on. Close enough.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all for responding! So much food for thought here...(haha, excuse the pun....) I will definitely be keeping a better eye on the hidden sugars in this stuff I'm eating...I've lost another pound...yay! I think I was just hearing so many stories about people dropping 15-20 pounds on induction, I got my hopes up for that kind of loss....I know I can't complain about the five I've dropped so far....

And I am thinking that my water intake is what dilutes the ketones in my urine....that's probably why it looks as though I'm going in and out of ketosis....I won't worry about it too much then...

Again, thanks so much for your answers!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Not many people drop 15-20 pounds on induction. Those that do tend to be young, male, and/or very overweight. Four pounds in the first week at your weight is excellent!

Quote:
(Throughout the day, I will snack just by grabbing some salami or pepperoni sticks with a string cheese stick, or a pickle, or olives, sometimes laughing cow cheese triangles....I'll literally just stand at the counter and snack)
This is the first thing that I would change. That sounds like a lot of extra calories to me. Eat solid meals with plenty of fat and you won't need to add fourth and fifth meals... and your weight loss will improve for it.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Not many people drop 15-20 pounds on induction. Those that do tend to be young, male, and/or very overweight. Four pounds in the first week at your weight is excellent!

This is the first thing that I would change. That sounds like a lot of extra calories to me. Eat solid meals with plenty of fat and you won't need to add fourth and fifth meals... and your weight loss will improve for it.
TRUE!! Especially considering that you had a poor day in the middle. I think you are doing well in the weight loss department and the food department! KUTGW!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Sometimes I just add things in the raw state and move on. Close enough.
I always do that with veggies and I always use the baked or broiled version for meats when I log stuff. If I add fat I weigh it and account for it if needed.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
I think losing 4 pounds in 9 days is great, especially considering the imbibing you threw in there at the beginning. You're menu looks just fine, if maybe a few too many salty items. I don't know why you would need to increase your fat intake...the rules of induction don't call for high fat. And since you are (I assume), eating the yolks of your eggs, plus cream, cheese, fatty meats and all, I personally would not add excess fat unnecessarily. You'll just add unneeded calories. And, though induction is not about counting calories, they do add up. Good luck and great start!!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie22boys View Post
I think losing 4 pounds in 9 days is great, especially considering the imbibing you threw in there at the beginning. You're menu looks just fine, if maybe a few too many salty items. I don't know why you would need to increase your fat intake...the rules of induction don't call for high fat. And since you are (I assume), eating the yolks of your eggs, plus cream, cheese, fatty meats and all, I personally would not add excess fat unnecessarily. You'll just add unneeded calories. And, though induction is not about counting calories, they do add up. Good luck and great start!!
Thanks Andrea....(I should point out that the pepperoni sticks are turkey bites, by pillar's....not too high in salt....but they do have 1g of carb...I'm laying off those a bit now) and I've only had olives a few times....it's not every day...

I'm not sure about adding the fat yet, either, as what I'm doing now seems to be working....I'll just stick it out a bit and see if I want to tweak it later...

Thanks for commenting....best wishes to you!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post

Wednesday:
Bkfst. Coffee with cream, 3 scrambled with leftover chk. breast, broccoli, jalapeņo and cheese.

(
I just have to say that I LOVE this!

When I was making eggs for breakfast every day, this is what it looked like: Scrambled eggs, with last night's leftovers tossed in. Eggs alone weren't satisfying enough. Add in the veggies (and theirs sauce!) from last night, along with some meat, and suddenly, it was a satisfying meal!

That's the key. Keeping your fats up will keep you satisfied, which will keep you from being hungry and keep you in ketosis. This is PARTICULARLY important at breakfast, as you reap the most benefit from lack-of-appetite then.

KUTGW
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
You have a lot of processed meat. I try to stay with all real foods, ground beef, chicken, pork. Maybe keep devil eggs for a snack or cold chicken. After a few months, you will be fine on three meals a day and won't need to snack. I would try to avoid the bacon, pepperoni, cheese sticks etc.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote