Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Has anyone ever ate too many almonds in one sitting? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801940-has-anyone-ever-ate-too-many-almonds-one-sitting.html)

rotay60 04-11-2013 06:50 PM

Has anyone ever ate too many almonds in one sitting?
 
If so, I would like to know your side effects. I am trying to figure out if what I am experiencing is a result of too many almonds, stomach virus, or an intestinal issue. I know that this could get too much info for some, but I did call doctor and without coming in....they won't even offer any info.

Patience 04-11-2013 06:56 PM

I have a friend who experiences gastric distress from too many almond, but I've never had a bad experience. Not eating them now, because I have a hard time limiting consumptoin.

Lisa M 04-11-2013 07:27 PM

Like how many almonds are we talking?

rotay60 04-11-2013 08:06 PM

Not sure, just kept munching....maybe 2 cups? Mindless munching :(

reddarin 04-11-2013 08:11 PM

All I felt was a crushing sense of failure lol. And I ate a pound of them over about 2 hours time. I just can't keep them in the house. No self control with them :(

But! I was listening to Relentless Roger and the Caveman Doctor and the Doc, I think, said he thought it was all about the salt on nuts. He said if they were salted he would just keep eating them but if they were unsalted he could easily control himself. That made a lot of sense to me so I am going to see how it works with a bag of unsalted almonds next chance I get. Maybe when I break into the 180s.

:)

Jbinme 04-12-2013 03:57 AM

I have found that if I eat any almonds I get a tummy ache:(

peretroika 04-12-2013 04:15 AM

Oh yes. I love almonds and can polish off a whole can...which is an amazing amount of calories and carbs. Yikes.

They have a 'binding' affect, beware!

Dottie 04-12-2013 04:53 AM

2 cups would have a lot of fat and fiber. I can imagine you'd be having some bathroom issues.

rotay60 04-12-2013 04:57 AM

Well, I woke up in the middle of the night with pain in the middle of belly, right below/between breast. It lasted pretty much 2 1/2 days. Anytime I ate or drank I would experience the pain. It seemed to be bloated in this area. I wasn't able to go back to sleep that first day and winded up having aches and chills (the reason that I was thinking it was maybe a bug). One other thing that I did not mention, was that I also ate some collards that day, this is another reason that I was thinking the almonds, because maybe it was just too much fiber for that day? It was like it all got stuck and would not move along. Anyway, I did finally get relief on Thursday morning and am feeling much better. I'm still not sure though if it was the food or a bug??? I guess that it really doesn't matter anymore. Thanks for the responses.

clackley 04-12-2013 05:43 AM

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Just another comment on the almonds is that with most nuts, the carbs add up quickly and overeating them may take one out of ketosis (assuming they were in) and that may make one feel crappy as well.

wiz 04-12-2013 06:00 AM

I get this same bloated feeling (and sadly the related bathroom issues :laugh:) from any type of nuts, not just almonds. I am okay with a few - like at a party where I have a small handful. But any more than that, and I consistently feel horrible. So I don't keep nuts in the house at all any more, I only have them out as a treat.

Beeb 04-12-2013 08:01 AM

Gall Bladder issues? :dunno:

Mistizoom 04-12-2013 08:02 AM

I've never eaten that many almonds but when I made some almond flour muffins a few months back and ate too many of them (on two different occassions) they sat like a lead balloon in my stomach for what seems like days...not sure if it is exactly what you experienced but in general I no longer make things with a lot of almond flour in them.

raindroproses 04-12-2013 09:41 AM

I just gain weight if I consistently eat too many :laugh:

LCdave 04-12-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotay60 (Post 16368232)
If so, I would like to know your side effects. I am trying to figure out if what I am experiencing is a result of too many almonds, stomach virus, or an intestinal issue. I know that this could get too much info for some, but I did call doctor and without coming in....they won't even offer any info.

I eat ALOT of almonds almost daily and it has never affected me in any way :dunno:

rotay60 04-12-2013 11:00 AM

Well, I love almonds and usually portion out daily, I just went overboard on this particular day and then felt bad for 2 days, just trying to figure it out. Guess we'll never know unless I try eating that many almonds again, which I don't think is going to happen anytime soon.
I know that I have over-indulged in the past ...maybe not as much as this time, but who knows...maybe it was a combo of all 3(almonds, collards, the bug).

My gallbladder is gone :)

Wiz...I also seem to get that bloated feeling when I get off plan and do wheat :(

wiz 04-12-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotay60 (Post 16369361)
Well, I love almonds and usually portion out daily, I just went overboard on this particular day and then felt bad for 2 days, just trying to figure it out. Guess we'll never know unless I try eating that many almonds again, which I don't think is going to happen anytime soon.
I know that I have over-indulged in the past ...maybe not as much as this time, but who knows...maybe it was a combo of all 3(almonds, collards, the bug).

My gallbladder is gone :)

Wiz...I also seem to get that bloated feeling when I get off plan and do wheat :(

I handle a bit of wheat, say 2 to 3 small servings a week. But any more than that, yup, I have "issues" :laugh:

jmc305 04-12-2013 02:34 PM

Were they raw or roasted? My friend told me that there is an enzyme in raw almonds that causes GI distress and stomach pain. Toasting the almonds deactivates this enzyme, or so I'm told. Never bothered to google it, so IDK. Just going by what I've heard.

rotay60 04-12-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc305 (Post 16369720)
Were they raw or roasted? My friend told me that there is an enzyme in raw almonds that causes GI distress and stomach pain. Toasting the almonds deactivates this enzyme, or so I'm told. Never bothered to google it, so IDK. Just going by what I've heard.

They were raw.

jmc305 04-12-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotay60 (Post 16369791)
They were raw.

Hmm...maybe he is right! There's a first time for everything.

clackley 04-13-2013 06:21 AM

The following is from Mark's daily apple....

Quote:

Quote:

Though I haven’t had problems like this myself, I know it’s a common issue for many people. Of course, the more nuts you eat (as we Primal types are wont to do), the more apparent the situation becomes for those who are sensitive. The offending characters, it seems, are lectins, phytates, and enzyme inhibitors, notorious little “anti-nutrients” that put some people’s stomachs through the ringer. Even if you don’t show obvious symptoms, many argue, you may be compromising nutritional uptake by eating raw nuts.

soaking-seeds-and-nuts


SugarFreeSheila 04-13-2013 06:57 AM

I get heartburn if I eat too many almonds at once! For me, this just means I need to drink more water with them. :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:56 AM.