Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Working my way backwards to Lower Daily carbs, or "the motivation is in the process."

When I jumped back into LC eating 2 months ago, I just could not face induction again. I did it a couple of years ago, and yeah, I lost weight pretty fast, but I was not a happy camper those first two or three weeks. And I think it set me up to feel deprived for the rest of my time on the LC woe.

I ultimately lost about 30 pounds, but couldn't sustain the woe because I became bored with it. That was my fault as I did not explore the possibilities, but rather treated it like a "diet" and ate the same things over and over again. However, the stringency of induction felt so limiting, and then when it was time to add carbs back in, I was afraid to.

Fade in, fade out and 4 years later I had of course gained back what I lost plus, and had a borderline Diabetes 2 diagnosis. I knew I had to make big changes. So I decided to do Low Carb eating without induction. Read up and refreshed on the principles of LC eating, and decided to stay at 50 or under carbs a day---which was a HUGE drop from what I'd been eating, as I'm a carb lover from way back.

What that allowed me is enough variety to not feel deprived as I got my sea legs under me again. At 50 grams a day or less, the possibilities seemed endless. I felt I was eating well and I was enjoying it, and NOT feeling deprived. The weight loss WAS slow, compared to many who do Atkins from the ground up, but my aims were different this time. I wanted to grow into this life style for my health, rather than crash into it hoping for a fast smaller size.

Then the really good stuff started to happen. Not being obsessed with the scale, or expecting any fast weight loss, I felt good mentally and physically. I started to read everything I could get my hands on again, as knowledge is my #1 weight loss tool. After lurking here for weeks, I became a member and started to join in with the community. What a delicious place this is!

And low and behold, my carbs per day have gone steadily down, NATURALLY, the more I've learned, the more recipes I've tried without the limitations of induction. I am now doing from 20 to 30 grams a day often, but if I go up to 50 grams a day I don't sweat it. And I'm more enthusiastic and happy with this woe today than ever.

I have lost 11 pounds, and the pace of that loss has picked up as I have learned more---drinking more water, making sure I get enough fat and don't overdo the protein, finding the foods, tips and recipes that keep my BRAIN sated---and that's a big one. Honestly, I have absolutely no doubt I will continue to lose, however long it takes, all stalls and less than stellar days folded in. But most importantly, I can live with this long term, and that's what it's got to be now.

If had forced myself to do induction, I might have lost weight faster, but I don't think I would be as happy with the way things are going as I am. Everyone is different, with different needs all across the spectrum. But for me, I have learned once again, that "the motivation is in the process."

The more I learn, read, try, experiment with in this LC WOE, the better I get at it without the pain and deprivation I felt on my first effort at this. Sometimes you can "tip toe" towards your goal with good results.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Nice to meet you Blue Skies. It sounds like you have found your "sweet spot."
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Fantastic post, Blue Skies. Makes a lot of sense to me.
I am also building my reserves of knowledge as well as drawing upon the experiences of people like you and many others I've met here over the last several weeks.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I think this sounds SO doable. I think this sounds so much more palatable than crashing your body into induction. Good for you!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
Nice to meet you Blue Skies. It sounds like you have found your "sweet spot."
Nice to meet you too, Erin!

Yes, I'm feeling so darn good about where I'm at with this. But I do remain humble to the fact that it's still early in this game, and anything can happen. In ALL things, one day at a time is a pretty good way to carry on.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Fantastic post, Blue Skies. Makes a lot of sense to me.
I am also building my reserves of knowledge as well as drawing upon the experiences of people like you and many others I've met here over the last several weeks.
Thank you, Bella. This community is just the best---supportive and full of knowledge and experience.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
This is wonderful and full of honesty! Love it!
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I think this sounds SO doable. I think this sounds so much more palatable than crashing your body into induction. Good for you!!
Thanks, Cindy. And you know, that's exactly the operative word for me "DOABLE."
Old 04-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
This is wonderful and full of honesty! Love it!
Thank you bacon bit. I have enjoyed your posts too. I'm beginning to get to know some folks around here, and it's a lot of fun.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Blue Skies - great post and very inspiring. I've been a low carber for a long time and maintaining but there are occasions when weight creeps back up (I try not to go over by more than 5 to 10 pounds) and I think your idea is great to get back on track but not feel deprived. I look forward to more of your posts and progress reports. I usually hang out in the recipes help and suggestions board but I pop in here a couple times a week. Good luck to you on your journey.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
interesting. in general I think doing at least a two week induction makes people more grateful for the slightly higher carbs they can eat after that. learning to make it a real woe is not connected with not doing induction, but it's a great change of heart. best of luck with it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I don't think you have to start at induction, unless you are really struggling because of an overactive pancreas. OWL is a fine place to start if it works for you.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
What a fantastic post!
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I think we have to all make it our own way of eating, and it sounds like you have really made your way. For me, I needed the sudden cut off of induction. But I think I am more severely addicted and messed up with carbs than most people. I don't lose *anything* unless I'm very low carb. And I consider under 15 g of carb/day to be the way I'm eating for the rest of my life (fingers crossed that I have the strength to keep going that long). I have never felt better! But I do think that we all should do the most gentle woe that we can and still get the results we're looking for.

Right now I'm eating between 7 and 15 g of carb a day, fasting for about 20 hours a day, and eating around 1100 calories most days and losing about 2 pounds a month! lol It's a good thing I feel good, bc the pay off is painfully slow.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Blue Skies, very glad you decided to join us! Everyone's journey is a little different and sometimes a lot different. I could not have done it the way you have as I am far too carb sensitive but I am sure there are others out there that need to hear that this approach can work.

Congrats on your success and KUTGW!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecBelle
Stats: 292.2/261.6/145 5ft4in
WOE: Induction
Start Date: Repeat Offender-Original Start 09/03/10
Blue Skies,
Awesome post! I too am doing LC on my own terms. The biggest problem for me is I work rotating 12hr shifts, the carb tempation is pretty big. I'm not new to LC so I know the trigger foods and stall foods, I know what to avoid. I'm not sticking to any real plan, I'm just trying to stay as low on carbs while ducking temptation. I have been on the wagon since 03/17 and have lost almost 6lbs. I have a long way to go. But I know I have to take a day at a time and be prepared for setbacks. This is for life so I look it as a long road that I have to stay on not quick shortcut to nowhere.

Last edited by BecBelle; 04-12-2013 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
BecBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Blue Skies - great post and very inspiring. I've been a low carber for a long time and maintaining but there are occasions when weight creeps back up (I try not to go over by more than 5 to 10 pounds) and I think your idea is great to get back on track but not feel deprived. I look forward to more of your posts and progress reports. I usually hang out in the recipes help and suggestions board but I pop in here a couple times a week. Good luck to you on your journey.
Thank you Tweaker Geek. Feeling deprived is a sure deal killer for me and leads to a binge on something naughty at some point, somewhere. My brain doesn't seem to be able to put the breaks on if I have been too stringent with myself.

It is inspiring to me to hear from a "long time low carber." It's so good to know it can be done, even with the occasional slip---or maybe necessarily with the occasional slip.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Blue Skies, very glad you decided to join us! Everyone's journey is a little different and sometimes a lot different. I could not have done it the way you have as I am far too carb sensitive but I am sure there are others out there that need to hear that this approach can work.

Congrats on your success and KUTGW!
Absolutely, everyone's journey is as different as each and every one of us are different and unique---physically and emotionally. I wrote this because I have read of many here struggling with induction, and did so myself. That path to a low carb woe ultimately did not work for me. But I still want to get to the same goal---a sustainable Low carb woe.

I'm still new into this, and with all humility, who know's where this will lead me. But feeling positive now, and I'll take that and run as far as I can with it.

Thank you for your comment here, and I enjoy all your comments on this thread, very inspiring and knowledgeable.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I think we have to all make it our own way of eating, and it sounds like you have really made your way. For me, I needed the sudden cut off of induction.
Yes, some of us need and like the structure of strict boundaries, and others of us rebel against it. I believe that really knowing yourself, and being honest with yourself about who and how you are, is key to any successful effort to change. We are capable of doing all sorts of amazing things, but not without acceptance of who we are, and tweaking any plan to fit what works for us.

Good luck to you on your path.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I wanted to grow into this life style for my health, rather than crash into it hoping for a fast smaller size.
GREAT POST, Blue Skies! I especially appreciate the above quote. I see a lot of people on these forums (and, sadly, often only see them for a week or 2) who want to "do LC" to lose wt rapidly for some such special event, etc. The whole "looking at LC as a diet, not a lifestyle," mentality is really the biggest downfall of those who want to lose weight with LC.

I hope you don't mind, but I actually cut and pasted your excellent post in a document to keep for myself, and maybe share with friends (attributed, of course, to a supportive LC member and promoting the Low Carb Friends site!) who think they just can't possibly do Atkins or strict induction-type LC plans.

Thanks so much for posting this.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post

I hope you don't mind, but I actually cut and pasted your excellent post in a document to keep for myself, and maybe share with friends (attributed, of course, to a supportive LC member and promoting the Low Carb Friends site!) who think they just can't possibly do Atkins or strict induction-type LC plans.

Thanks so much for posting this.
Mind? On the contrary mainemom, I am pleased that you consider my words worth sharing. Thank you for that compliment.

I too think it's important that folks who find induction intimidating, or have tried it and failed, maybe more than once, know they can back their way into this. And that a Low Carb lifestyle does not have to be stringent to have great value, beyond weight loss, although even with a moderate approach to a LC woe, weight loss is likely to happen over the long haul.

The average American eats between 250 and 300 grams of carbs a day. Imagine if the average amt of carbs eaten a day was under 100?! Or even 150 and under. This is moderate, but still, the improvement in our national health would be amazing and exponential with so many benefits to our country that it would be hard to list them all.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I think your head is really in the right place about diet! It seems to me that the mental aspect is about a million times more difficult than the physical aspect of dieting.

Keep going! You're doing great!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Avellaneda
Awesome post - sounds like a rational approach! Keep up the great work and let us know how it goes.
Avellaneda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Blue Skies - I could have written your post. I took the same approach that you did 14 months ago and because of it, I am in a place where I know I will NEVER have to 'diet' again because I changed my lifestyle. I enjoy my lifestyle. My carbs vary, but my lifestyle doesn't. Even though my weight loss hasn't been as fast as previous Induction attempts, I have lost steadily and know I can maintain it.

Welcome, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You ARE dialed into the secret to long term success.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Great post! I did it the same way! I gradually cut carbs and then did induction after about 6 weeks or so... Then went up carb ladder. I loss the biggest percentage of my weight during that time. Just by cutting carbs , I cut my calorie by at least 1/2 if not more. No carb flu ... Headaches ... Or any other problems.

At the gym there is a diet support group called "take your top off Tuesdays"
Basically - it is a LC group that encourages people to lower carbs by maybe taking the top piece of bread off sandwiches - burgers- croutons - icing etc.... Just to try it out!
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
Blue Skies - I could have written your post. I took the same approach that you did 14 months ago and because of it, I am in a place where I know I will NEVER have to 'diet' again because I changed my lifestyle. I enjoy my lifestyle. My carbs vary, but my lifestyle doesn't. Even though my weight loss hasn't been as fast as previous Induction attempts, I have lost steadily and know I can maintain it.

Welcome, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You ARE dialed into the secret to long term success.
Nice to know there are those out there with me, moving along slowly but surely. Thanks for the welcome and the reminder to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I love that simple idea.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
Great post! I did it the same way! I gradually cut carbs and then did induction after about 6 weeks or so... Then went up carb ladder. I loss the biggest percentage of my weight during that time. Just by cutting carbs , I cut my calorie by at least 1/2 if not more. No carb flu ... Headaches ... Or any other problems.

At the gym there is a diet support group called "take your top off Tuesdays"
Basically - it is a LC group that encourages people to lower carbs by maybe taking the top piece of bread off sandwiches - burgers- croutons - icing etc.... Just to try it out!
I love the "take your top off!" idea. Although I've gone further into this---I'm losing my bottoms too---the idea is small steps can take you a long way. The more you take away the carbs, whether it be moderately or full swing, the less you crave those carbs. Incremental, or bat out of hell, it's all good.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Hey you guys, thank you all for your kind and thoughtful comments. Every one of them has been an encouragement to me.