Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Working my way backwards to Lower Daily carbs, or "the motivation is in the process." (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801937-working-my-way-backwards-lower-daily-carbs-motivation-process.html)

Blue Skies 04-11-2013 05:11 PM

Working my way backwards to Lower Daily carbs, or "the motivation is in the process."
 
When I jumped back into LC eating 2 months ago, I just could not face induction again. I did it a couple of years ago, and yeah, I lost weight pretty fast, but I was not a happy camper those first two or three weeks. And I think it set me up to feel deprived for the rest of my time on the LC woe.

I ultimately lost about 30 pounds, but couldn't sustain the woe because I became bored with it. That was my fault as I did not explore the possibilities, but rather treated it like a "diet" and ate the same things over and over again. However, the stringency of induction felt so limiting, and then when it was time to add carbs back in, I was afraid to.

Fade in, fade out and 4 years later I had of course gained back what I lost plus, and had a borderline Diabetes 2 diagnosis. I knew I had to make big changes. So I decided to do Low Carb eating without induction. Read up and refreshed on the principles of LC eating, and decided to stay at 50 or under carbs a day---which was a HUGE drop from what I'd been eating, as I'm a carb lover from way back.

What that allowed me is enough variety to not feel deprived as I got my sea legs under me again. At 50 grams a day or less, the possibilities seemed endless. I felt I was eating well and I was enjoying it, and NOT feeling deprived. The weight loss WAS slow, compared to many who do Atkins from the ground up, but my aims were different this time. I wanted to grow into this life style for my health, rather than crash into it hoping for a fast smaller size.

Then the really good stuff started to happen. Not being obsessed with the scale, or expecting any fast weight loss, I felt good mentally and physically. I started to read everything I could get my hands on again, as knowledge is my #1 weight loss tool. After lurking here for weeks, I became a member and started to join in with the community. What a delicious place this is!

And low and behold, my carbs per day have gone steadily down, NATURALLY, the more I've learned, the more recipes I've tried without the limitations of induction. I am now doing from 20 to 30 grams a day often, but if I go up to 50 grams a day I don't sweat it. And I'm more enthusiastic and happy with this woe today than ever.

I have lost 11 pounds, and the pace of that loss has picked up as I have learned more---drinking more water, making sure I get enough fat and don't overdo the protein, finding the foods, tips and recipes that keep my BRAIN sated---and that's a big one. Honestly, I have absolutely no doubt I will continue to lose, however long it takes, all stalls and less than stellar days folded in. But most importantly, I can live with this long term, and that's what it's got to be now.

If had forced myself to do induction, I might have lost weight faster, but I don't think I would be as happy with the way things are going as I am. Everyone is different, with different needs all across the spectrum. But for me, I have learned once again, that "the motivation is in the process."

The more I learn, read, try, experiment with in this LC WOE, the better I get at it without the pain and deprivation I felt on my first effort at this. Sometimes you can "tip toe" towards your goal with good results.

Erin57 04-11-2013 05:36 PM

Nice to meet you Blue Skies. It sounds like you have found your "sweet spot."

Patience 04-11-2013 05:38 PM

Fantastic post, Blue Skies. Makes a lot of sense to me.
I am also building my reserves of knowledge as well as drawing upon the experiences of people like you and many others I've met here over the last several weeks.

CindyCRNA 04-11-2013 05:39 PM

I think this sounds SO doable. I think this sounds so much more palatable than crashing your body into induction. Good for you!!

Blue Skies 04-11-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin57 (Post 16368097)
Nice to meet you Blue Skies. It sounds like you have found your "sweet spot."

Nice to meet you too, Erin!

Yes, I'm feeling so darn good about where I'm at with this. But I do remain humble to the fact that it's still early in this game, and anything can happen. In ALL things, one day at a time is a pretty good way to carry on.

Blue Skies 04-11-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16368108)
Fantastic post, Blue Skies. Makes a lot of sense to me.
I am also building my reserves of knowledge as well as drawing upon the experiences of people like you and many others I've met here over the last several weeks.

Thank you, Bella. This community is just the best---supportive and full of knowledge and experience.

bacon bit 04-11-2013 05:45 PM

This is wonderful and full of honesty! Love it!

Blue Skies 04-11-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CindyCRNA (Post 16368109)
I think this sounds SO doable. I think this sounds so much more palatable than crashing your body into induction. Good for you!!

Thanks, Cindy. And you know, that's exactly the operative word for me "DOABLE."

Blue Skies 04-11-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon bit (Post 16368131)
This is wonderful and full of honesty! Love it!

Thank you bacon bit. I have enjoyed your posts too. I'm beginning to get to know some folks around here, and it's a lot of fun.

Tweaker Geek 04-11-2013 06:55 PM

Blue Skies - great post and very inspiring. I've been a low carber for a long time and maintaining but there are occasions when weight creeps back up (I try not to go over by more than 5 to 10 pounds) and I think your idea is great to get back on track but not feel deprived. I look forward to more of your posts and progress reports. I usually hang out in the recipes help and suggestions board but I pop in here a couple times a week. Good luck to you on your journey.

ravenrose 04-11-2013 06:55 PM

interesting. in general I think doing at least a two week induction makes people more grateful for the slightly higher carbs they can eat after that. learning to make it a real woe is not connected with not doing induction, but it's a great change of heart. best of luck with it.

Punkin 04-12-2013 03:44 AM

I don't think you have to start at induction, unless you are really struggling because of an overactive pancreas. OWL is a fine place to start if it works for you.

healthy for life 04-12-2013 04:15 AM

What a fantastic post!

rubidoux 04-12-2013 01:09 PM

I think we have to all make it our own way of eating, and it sounds like you have really made your way. For me, I needed the sudden cut off of induction. But I think I am more severely addicted and messed up with carbs than most people. I don't lose *anything* unless I'm very low carb. And I consider under 15 g of carb/day to be the way I'm eating for the rest of my life (fingers crossed that I have the strength to keep going that long). I have never felt better! But I do think that we all should do the most gentle woe that we can and still get the results we're looking for.

Right now I'm eating between 7 and 15 g of carb a day, fasting for about 20 hours a day, and eating around 1100 calories most days and losing about 2 pounds a month! lol It's a good thing I feel good, bc the pay off is painfully slow.

clackley 04-12-2013 02:24 PM

Blue Skies, very glad you decided to join us! Everyone's journey is a little different and sometimes a lot different. I could not have done it the way you have as I am far too carb sensitive but I am sure there are others out there that need to hear that this approach can work.

Congrats on your success and KUTGW!

BecBelle 04-12-2013 05:06 PM

Blue Skies,
Awesome post!:) I too am doing LC on my own terms. The biggest problem for me is I work rotating 12hr shifts, the carb tempation is pretty big. I'm not new to LC so I know the trigger foods and stall foods, I know what to avoid. I'm not sticking to any real plan, I'm just trying to stay as low on carbs while ducking temptation. I have been on the wagon since 03/17 and have lost almost 6lbs. I have a long way to go. But I know I have to take a day at a time and be prepared for setbacks. This is for life so I look it as a long road that I have to stay on not quick shortcut to nowhere.

Blue Skies 04-13-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16368241)
Blue Skies - great post and very inspiring. I've been a low carber for a long time and maintaining but there are occasions when weight creeps back up (I try not to go over by more than 5 to 10 pounds) and I think your idea is great to get back on track but not feel deprived. I look forward to more of your posts and progress reports. I usually hang out in the recipes help and suggestions board but I pop in here a couple times a week. Good luck to you on your journey.

Thank you Tweaker Geek. Feeling deprived is a sure deal killer for me and leads to a binge on something naughty at some point, somewhere. My brain doesn't seem to be able to put the breaks on if I have been too stringent with myself.

It is inspiring to me to hear from a "long time low carber." It's so good to know it can be done, even with the occasional slip---or maybe necessarily with the occasional slip.

Blue Skies 04-13-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16369710)
Blue Skies, very glad you decided to join us! Everyone's journey is a little different and sometimes a lot different. I could not have done it the way you have as I am far too carb sensitive but I am sure there are others out there that need to hear that this approach can work.

Congrats on your success and KUTGW!

Absolutely, everyone's journey is as different as each and every one of us are different and unique---physically and emotionally. I wrote this because I have read of many here struggling with induction, and did so myself. That path to a low carb woe ultimately did not work for me. But I still want to get to the same goal---a sustainable Low carb woe.

I'm still new into this, and with all humility, who know's where this will lead me. But feeling positive now, and I'll take that and run as far as I can with it.

Thank you for your comment here, and I enjoy all your comments on this thread, very inspiring and knowledgeable.

Blue Skies 04-13-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16369575)
I think we have to all make it our own way of eating, and it sounds like you have really made your way. For me, I needed the sudden cut off of induction.

Yes, some of us need and like the structure of strict boundaries, and others of us rebel against it. I believe that really knowing yourself, and being honest with yourself about who and how you are, is key to any successful effort to change. We are capable of doing all sorts of amazing things, but not without acceptance of who we are, and tweaking any plan to fit what works for us.

Good luck to you on your path.

mainemom 04-13-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16368067)
I wanted to grow into this life style for my health, rather than crash into it hoping for a fast smaller size.

GREAT POST, Blue Skies! I especially appreciate the above quote. I see a lot of people on these forums (and, sadly, often only see them for a week or 2) who want to "do LC" to lose wt rapidly for some such special event, etc. The whole "looking at LC as a diet, not a lifestyle," mentality is really the biggest downfall of those who want to lose weight with LC.

I hope you don't mind, but I actually cut and pasted your excellent post in a document to keep for myself, and maybe share with friends (attributed, of course, to a supportive LC member and promoting the Low Carb Friends site!) who think they just can't possibly do Atkins or strict induction-type LC plans.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Blue Skies 04-13-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainemom (Post 16370692)

I hope you don't mind, but I actually cut and pasted your excellent post in a document to keep for myself, and maybe share with friends (attributed, of course, to a supportive LC member and promoting the Low Carb Friends site!) who think they just can't possibly do Atkins or strict induction-type LC plans.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Mind? On the contrary mainemom, I am pleased that you consider my words worth sharing. Thank you for that compliment.

I too think it's important that folks who find induction intimidating, or have tried it and failed, maybe more than once, know they can back their way into this. And that a Low Carb lifestyle does not have to be stringent to have great value, beyond weight loss, although even with a moderate approach to a LC woe, weight loss is likely to happen over the long haul.

The average American eats between 250 and 300 grams of carbs a day. Imagine if the average amt of carbs eaten a day was under 100?! Or even 150 and under. This is moderate, but still, the improvement in our national health would be amazing and exponential with so many benefits to our country that it would be hard to list them all.

Trillex 04-13-2013 11:26 AM

I think your head is really in the right place about diet! It seems to me that the mental aspect is about a million times more difficult than the physical aspect of dieting.

Keep going! You're doing great!

Avellaneda 04-13-2013 12:03 PM

Awesome post - sounds like a rational approach! Keep up the great work and let us know how it goes.

trishthedish 04-13-2013 01:41 PM

Blue Skies - I could have written your post. I took the same approach that you did 14 months ago and because of it, I am in a place where I know I will NEVER have to 'diet' again because I changed my lifestyle. I enjoy my lifestyle. My carbs vary, but my lifestyle doesn't. Even though my weight loss hasn't been as fast as previous Induction attempts, I have lost steadily and know I can maintain it.

Welcome, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You ARE dialed into the secret to long term success.:shake:

Spanilingo 04-13-2013 08:59 PM

Great post! I did it the same way! I gradually cut carbs and then did induction after about 6 weeks or so... Then went up carb ladder. I loss the biggest percentage of my weight during that time. Just by cutting carbs , I cut my calorie by at least 1/2 if not more. No carb flu ... Headaches ... Or any other problems.

At the gym there is a diet support group called "take your top off Tuesdays"
Basically - it is a LC group that encourages people to lower carbs by maybe taking the top piece of bread off sandwiches - burgers- croutons - icing etc.... Just to try it out!

Blue Skies 04-14-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishthedish (Post 16371095)
Blue Skies - I could have written your post. I took the same approach that you did 14 months ago and because of it, I am in a place where I know I will NEVER have to 'diet' again because I changed my lifestyle. I enjoy my lifestyle. My carbs vary, but my lifestyle doesn't. Even though my weight loss hasn't been as fast as previous Induction attempts, I have lost steadily and know I can maintain it.

Welcome, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You ARE dialed into the secret to long term success.:shake:

Nice to know there are those out there with me, moving along slowly but surely. Thanks for the welcome and the reminder to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I love that simple idea.

Blue Skies 04-14-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanilingo (Post 16371742)
Great post! I did it the same way! I gradually cut carbs and then did induction after about 6 weeks or so... Then went up carb ladder. I loss the biggest percentage of my weight during that time. Just by cutting carbs , I cut my calorie by at least 1/2 if not more. No carb flu ... Headaches ... Or any other problems.

At the gym there is a diet support group called "take your top off Tuesdays"
Basically - it is a LC group that encourages people to lower carbs by maybe taking the top piece of bread off sandwiches - burgers- croutons - icing etc.... Just to try it out!

I love the "take your top off!" idea. Although I've gone further into this---I'm losing my bottoms too:o---the idea is small steps can take you a long way. The more you take away the carbs, whether it be moderately or full swing, the less you crave those carbs. Incremental, or bat out of hell, it's all good.

Blue Skies 04-14-2013 04:22 PM

Hey you guys, thank you all for your kind and thoughtful comments. Every one of them has been an encouragement to me.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 PM.