Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   stress led to an 'off plan' chain reaction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801691-stress-led-off-plan-chain-reaction.html)

avid 04-10-2013 12:06 PM

stress led to an 'off plan' chain reaction

My Low Carb train got derailed today.
Had a hankerin' for some sushi. this happens every couple of months and I never had a problem...would go to publix, get a tray of sushi, eat it at home and be satisfied...But today I responded to some increasing levels of family stress by actually going to a sushi bar for my meal.
I walked in and saw the beautiful ad for my favorite Japanese beer, and it just looked soooooooooo good. OK so now it's a double carb whammy. Not only am I getting the carbs from the rice, but now also the beer. OK, I've had a beer now and then without horrible results, so what the hey right?
I order a lunch special and didn't notice that it comes with chicken tempura. Oh my, it was drizzled with sesame sauce and smelled divine.
I ate it of course.
So now I'm feeling totally decadent. rice, beer, breaded chicken. time to stop RIGHT NOW....the waitress...who just happens to be the cutest little Asian girl with a million dollar smile, 'suggests' their specialty desert a coconut cake with coconut icing....Hey it's coconut right??? I have a piece. Heavenly.
So now I'm totally off the wagon and it's only 3 pm.
Help!!! If this were a 12 step program I would call my sponsor.

MtherGoos 04-10-2013 12:18 PM

Avid, you always have such amazing advice for everybody here, and you're such an inspiration. What would you say if somebody else was posting this? You would tell them that it was a minor slip up. Don't beat yourself up. Right back on plan. Don't let one "little" setback turn into something worse....like a week or a month off plan. You've got this!! Read the boards and get your mind back in the game. We're all here for you!

snowmop 04-10-2013 12:26 PM

Avid, WE are your sponsor! Now straighten up and fly right! (Glad you had fun while it lasted,though!)

cfine 04-10-2013 01:31 PM

You are always there for others, Avid, now we are here for you. The party was nice while it lasted, but time to get back on plan. You have come too far to stray off the path. :)

Erin57 04-10-2013 02:07 PM

Agree, enjoy it an move on. A Sushi restaurant with a great dessert? That could spell trouble for me. I'm safe at our usual hangout because the desserts are :sick:

Trust me, green tea ice cream tastes just like creamy mud.

Biochic 04-10-2013 02:13 PM

Hi Avid.
A truly timely post as I have a dinner planned this evening at my favorite sushi place for a friend's birthday celebration. Your post has reminded me to tread carefully. I have been round this block 3 times but maintaining has been the one thing I have not been able to master:cry:

Thank you! Now back on the horse for you:)

lterry913 04-10-2013 02:16 PM

It was a splurge but you can't stop living life...sometimes you have to enjoy other foods...they are treat and you should treat that meal as such... it was a once in a while treat ...now drink your water stay active and get right on back on track...we have your back. After all you ate an off plan meal...in the scheme of things you could have done a lot worse things.

princessmommy 04-10-2013 03:04 PM

Brush yourself off sweetie and go forth and Sin No more! Lol! Right back on plan and you'll be fine! Don't let this turn into a week long (or longer) mis-step. Hugs!!!

Julie1972 04-10-2013 03:07 PM

Don't beat yourself up! Sometimes we need a treat and you've earned it! Just get back on plan now! :)

Girlieschmoo 04-10-2013 03:49 PM

Ok, I had this big ole honkin' reply typed out and my battery died so I am going to just summarize the 3 paragraphs with this: SUSTAINABILITY.

If you can't eat....and enjoy....the foods you love occasionally, I do not believe it is sustainable. After much trial and error, this is where I have landed as I contemplate my relationship with food for the long haul.

So I would say stay true to what's working most of the time, but build in occasional sushi bar meals and for the love of all that's good...ENJOY it.

I had sworn off all real beer while LCing and it made me so sad. Really. I love dark, malty (read: high carb, high calorie) beer but could not make it work with weight loss. However, in my quest for sustainability, I decided that a couple of times a month, my dh and some good friends would do pub crawls around our town (we have one of the -- maybe THE highest -- number of micro-breweries per capita). The interesting thing is, once I decided to let myself do this occasionally, I rarely think about how much I miss dark beer now AND I have actually been able to lose more weight since starting and I think it's because I choose to forego other things during the week knowing that we are going to such and such brewery that weekend.

Anyhow, I guess that's really all I have to say...having sushi and the accompaniments on occasion (maybe even on a regular occasion) makes the rest of it sustainable. For the long haul, not just the 2-4 years of actually losing the weight. And if it's not sustainable, what is the point?

Just Russ 04-10-2013 03:57 PM

OK, you had an off plan meal. Don't beat yourself up. Get right back on the horse... the very next meal /eating. And tomorrow. I hope you don't get cravings (I often do) but you'll deal with it. Back to induction. The "scale" may show a temporary increase... but it's water & bulk waste (don't want to be graphic here). a couple of days & the scale will be back where you were before.
Don't let a single slip up become a binge. I've been there... I bet all of us have. It may take some will power to jump start again. Better SOONER rather than later after more damage is done.

juliekaboolie 04-10-2013 08:49 PM

Same thing happened to me, too! Let's both make the choice to hop right back on the wagon again!

Trillex 04-11-2013 12:43 AM

I can't speak to the emotional issues, which I think are the most difficult part of any long-term diet lifestyle. But with regard to the metabolic issues, you have been eating a very low-carb diet for a sustained period of time so you should have been fully keto-adapted at the time you started consuming those carbohydrates. Studies of glucose metabolism and ketone production following a high-carbohydrate re-feed, in bodies that have had time to keto-adapt, suggest that the human body processes carbohydrates in a *different* way, preferring to store them as glycogen rather than burn them as fuel. The body continues burning fat as it's primary fuel, while storing the carbohydrates for future energy needs.

Here is one such study:
We compared glucose metabolism after a standard diet ([STD] 35% fat, 51% carbohydrate, and 14% protein) with the effects of a 3-week adaptation to a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet ([LCD] 75% fat, 8% carbohydrate, and 17% protein). Ten healthy men were studied using the euglycemic clamp technique, indirect calorimetry, and percutaneous vastus lateralis muscle biopsies for analysis of glycogen synthase (GS) and pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) activities in the basal and insulin-stimulated states. Insulin-stimulated glucose disposal was unchanged (STD 46.1 +/- 4.3 v LCD 46.0 +/- 4.3 mumol/kg.min, P = NS), but marked alterations in the routes of glucose disposal were noted. Insulin-stimulated glucose oxidation (Gox) was markedly reduced following LCD (STD 18.6 +/- 1.9 v LCD 8.23 +/- 1.9 mumol/kg.min, P = .0001), and nonoxidative glucose metabolism (Gnox) was enhanced by LCD (STD 24.9 +/- 0.9 v LCD 38.9 +/- 4.3 mumol/kg.min, P = .03). Following LCD, both the total and active forms of PDH (PDHt and PDHa) were significantly depressed. After LCD, GS activates (FV0.1, %I, and A0.5) were unaffected in the basal state, but were greater than for STD (P = .004) after insulin stimulation.

Low-carbohydrate diet alters intracellular glucose metabolism but not overall glucose disposal in exercise-trained subjects.
Low-carbohydrate diet alters intracellular glucos... [Metabolism. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI
This study had the additional intervention of exercise, which can/should affect glycogen recomposition, but I believe you are a regular exerciser so the study should be applicable to your situation.

As noted above, researchers found that the "routes" of glucose "disposal" were different following a 3 week period of low-carbohydrate/high-fat feeding as compared to glucose disposal on a "standard" diet. Glucose "oxidation" (the burning of glucose as fuel) was "markedly reduced," while "non-oxidative" glucose metabolism (for example, glycogen storage) was "enhanced" and "glycogen synthase" (the enzymatic process of converting glucose to glycogen) was greater than on a standard diet.

This is one of the few studies I've seen in which keto-adaptation was taken into account. But other, shorter term studies suggest that the mechanism at work is the liver, which takes time to up-regulate the enzymes that process glucose as fuel. So the human body continues operating as a primarily fat-burning engine, rather than a glucose-burning engine, for at least 5 hours after high concentrations of carbohydrates are re-introduced into the diet.

I'm not saying people should just run out and dump their ketogenic diet on a regular basis. The evidence suggests that restoring glycogen and up-regulating the liver's glucose metabolism means the body will require additional time -- generally estimated to be a few weeks -- in order to return to its previous state of keto-adaptation. I'm just saying that research suggests that the body will continue its high level of fat burning during short periods of high-carbohydrate re-feeding. This is one of the reasons that bodybuilding "cyclical" ketogenic diets can quickly and consistently burn large amounts of bodyfat despite regular intervals of high-carbohydrate feeding.

I wanted to point out this information simply to reinforce what people have already said: one day off plan isn't a metabolic disaster. You already know that, of course, but here's a study that demonstrates *why* it isn't a fat-burning disaster.

synger 04-11-2013 08:15 AM

No guilt and move on!!

After I have slips like that, I try to look back and determine what I could do differently in a similar situation. LIke have more sashimi than sushi rolls, or eat something before I go so I'm not ravenously hungry when I go through the buffet. Each time I trip up, is another chance to learn why I trip up and how to avoid it next time. It's the dreaded "learning experience"...

nolcjunk 04-11-2013 08:59 AM

For me the best way to deal with off plan meals is to take responsibility and move on. Nothing can make you go off plan, we choose to it do it. You chose to get the beer, eat the rice and tempura, and get dessert. Nothing wrong with that- you are in maintenance, and a meal like that once in a while isn't going to lead to trouble, but I think we need to have the right mindset about them. They are a choice that we make.

How are you doing the day after?

Heheher 04-11-2013 12:32 PM

It happens to the best of us. The good news is, I have found that the longer I eat this way, the less it happens. :)

Luca 04-11-2013 12:37 PM

Nothing to add, because it happens to me, especially under stress, but just don't dwell on your mistake-move on.

And btw, the meal from start to finish- especially the coconut dessert sounded divine!
:)

avid 04-11-2013 09:25 PM

Awwww shucks guys, sooooooooo much love :love:
I really did enjoy my day of decadent indulgence, but now am happy to say that I am totally back on track.
The outpouring of support I got here is really moving.
LCF is the greatest, and it's because of the people like you!!!

Rebecca1979 04-11-2013 10:16 PM

That wagon you just fell off of has wheels for a reason! It never stops! Just like your determination. Give in once and a while so the binge/binder doesn't bloom into a month or a year. We don't think of you any less and we won't pray less for your continued success.:hugs::love:

jazills 04-11-2013 10:58 PM

Avid, you're awesome for coming here and admitting your flaws. I know for me on not so great days I tend to stray away from LCF, but on the other than this place is an amazing support group and I shouldn't do stuff like that.

You're so awesome for not falling off plan 100% (for months)...i applaud your courage!

avid 04-12-2013 06:44 AM

I gained two pounds from my indulgence which is not as bad as I feared.
Today I weighed in and I dropped one of the pounds, so it looks like the damage will be temporary.
The last time I fell off the wagon I actually ended the week with a net loss, so here's hopin'...once again thank you all for the heart warming support.

Darkginger 04-12-2013 07:57 AM

Deviation happens to the best of us (says I, with fond memories of a creme brulee a few weeks back). I hope you really enjoyed your sushi etc. - guilt never tastes good, so I avoid it whenever possible :) Glad to hear you're back to your usual WOE, and in total admiration of your stats!

Babydoll 04-14-2013 10:14 AM

I'm new here, and I'm am so inspired reading this thread, with all the positivity and support.....this is making me very glad I joined...Avid, you seem to be a well respected member, and I'm glad to read you're right back on track!!

avid 04-14-2013 10:57 AM

Have dropped the extra two pounds and feel like another one is sure to follow.
This has happend to me before...Meaning that following a day of indulgence and gain, I actually end the week with a net loss.
we shall see.

trishthedish 04-14-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16372494)
Have dropped the extra two pounds and feel like another one is sure to follow.
This has happend to me before...Meaning that following a day of indulgence and gain, I actually end the week with a net loss.
we shall see.

This is usually the result for me as well.

I know I am late to the S.O.S. post, but just a reminder that you made a lifestyle change. You are not on a diet. An occasional meal consisting of foods that are not part of your normal day to day lifestyle is not the end of the world. Yes, it is psychologically healthier to plan these indulges and I can see where it is bothersome to make these choices on a whim (fear of going off on a binge that lasts months and months is a valid concern). But once it is done, it is done. To maintain long term success you MUST move on. Congrats on doing that.:up:

tymom 04-14-2013 08:16 PM

"LIKE"

jazills 04-15-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishthedish (Post 16372525)
This is usually the result for me as well.

I know I am late to the S.O.S. post, but just a reminder that you made a lifestyle change. You are not on a diet. An occasional meal consisting of foods that are not part of your normal day to day lifestyle is not the end of the world. Yes, it is psychologically healthier to plan these indulges and I can see where it is bothersome to make these choices on a whim (fear of going off on a binge that lasts months and months is a valid concern). But once it is done, it is done. To maintain long term success you MUST move on. Congrats on doing that.:up:

Valid point. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet! We are human we make mistakes but is it a mistake to have a high carb meal once and again. Unless you are living on a farm that is isolate to meat and veggies then i'm sorry. high carb is everywhere and it's in our genetics (now) to sometimes want that food--and it doesn't help we see other eating it and sometimes hard to resist.

Great job everyone!!

saltnpepper 04-15-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:

avid "If this were a 12 step program I would call my sponsor."
:shake:

Quote:

snowmop Avid, WE are your sponsor!

Avid you are a pure jewel here. As is everyone else. Look at all this support! I think this is what makes me keep coming back .... to read for inspiration.

WTG Avid!