Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   too much coconut oil? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801687-too-much-coconut-oil.html)

Mrs_Potato_Head 04-10-2013 10:03 AM

too much coconut oil?
 
I was having coconut oil in the form of coconut bark yesterday and came down with a massive headache. It went away a bit and then I ate some more bark and it came back with a vengance.

I have been eating coconut oil in drinks for weeks now and never had a headache from it before, but can you get a headache from too much coconut oil?

Mad4Chillas 04-10-2013 10:04 AM

Do you flavor the coconut bark with anything like artifical sweetener? I would say the sweetener might wreak havoc on your heard moreso than Coconut Oil..

natural_born_texan 04-10-2013 10:32 AM

I've never gotten a headache from too much CO, but have definately gotten a stomachache.

Mrs_Potato_Head 04-10-2013 10:44 AM

I doubt it, I've been eating AS for years and never had a problem, not matter how much of it I've had. :dunno:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas (Post 16365168)
Do you flavor the coconut bark with anything like artifical sweetener? I would say the sweetener might wreak havoc on your heard moreso than Coconut Oil..


Janknitz 04-10-2013 11:34 AM

It may be the cumulative effect or something else in the bark (the chocolate, perhaps?). Either way, if the bark is causing headaches, don't eat it.

dawnyama 04-10-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 16365371)
if the bark is causing headaches, don't eat it.

Sounds like something my mom would say :hyst::p

Wendi-Bell 04-12-2013 12:01 AM

Research Candida die-off. I dont know much about it, but I came across it the other day. Hope you feel better.

Patience 04-12-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16365936)
Sounds like something my mom would say :hyst::p

sometimes mother knows best, signed your mom.

clackley 04-12-2013 05:35 AM

Seems unlikely that coconut oil would suddenly be the cause of headaches. You might try again and see what happens? I am adding the thought that coconut oil is known be be 'ketogenic' so if you are not already in ketosis, it may be pushing you in and people often experience a headache when that happens...????

Mistizoom 04-12-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendi-Bell (Post 16368463)
Research Candida die-off. I dont know much about it, but I came across it the other day. Hope you feel better.

If you've upped your intake it could be something like this, essentially the headache could be a side effect of the coconut oil detoxing your body.

avid 04-12-2013 08:12 AM

It seems like you are eating alot of co.
Why not cut your intake in half and see what happens.
I think you will still be eating enough to get its benefits.
Wishing you well.

reddarin 04-12-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16369023)
If you've upped your intake it could be something like this, essentially the headache could be a side effect of the coconut oil detoxing your body.

Detox can cause headaches? Is there a good article you can give me a google search phrase for or am I a dummy for not knowing this in the first place lol. :)

Mistizoom 04-12-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16369030)
Detox can cause headaches? Is there a good article you can give me a google search phrase for or am I a dummy for not knowing this in the first place lol. :)

There are a couple of components here: 1) signs and symptoms of candida die-off and 2) can coconut oil can cause candida die-off and what level of coconut oil causes that to happen? So I would google both of those things. My information comes from another forum I used to be on for women with children that has a large natural living component (not sure if I am allowed to mention names of other fora). Some posters there reported die-off/detox symptoms, including headaches, nausea, diarrhea, after upping their coconut oil intake too quickly. Now whether someone doing LC for a good period of time would have a candida overgrowth - unknown, and whether or not that is what is happening to the OP - unknown. That's why I used the word "could". :)

ETA: Here's an interesting thread from right here on LCF a few years ago about this very issue: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ge...mptom-not.html

reddarin 04-12-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16369255)
There are a couple of components here: 1) signs and symptoms of candida die-off and 2) can coconut oil can cause candida die-off and what level of coconut oil causes that to happen? So I would google both of those things. My information comes from another forum I used to be on for women with children that has a large natural living component (not sure if I am allowed to mention names of other fora). Some posters there reported die-off/detox symptoms, including headaches, nausea, diarrhea, after upping their coconut oil intake too quickly. Now whether someone doing LC for a good period of time would have a candida overgrowth - unknown, and whether or not that is what is happening to the OP - unknown. That's why I used the word "could". :)

ETA: Here's an interesting thread from right here on LCF a few years ago about this very issue: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ge...mptom-not.html

Thanks MZ :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 AM.