Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Netrition products you can't live without?

As I am expanding my low carb recipes with guidance from so many great ideas here, I'm seeing many recipes with ingredients you won't find at your typical grocery store, and in some cases, not even at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

One product that intrigues me is the DaVinci syrups---Particularly to use in something like cream cheese muffins. Seems many here use it.

When growing into a LC WOE the ingredients to get started with can be overwhelming. So I'm wondering which products y'all wouldn't want to be without, use the most, and why.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
They have DaVinci and Torani syrups at Wal Mart and Sam's in my area. But I wouldn't give you a nickel for any of it. I think it tastes horrid. When I started, there was a LOT of stuff I bought at Netrition- sugar free maltitol honey, Smaps (horrible soy cereal), Isomalt (for low carb candy), CarbQuik, etc. I eventually found out that I was better off with more of a natural approach using ordinary foods available at any grocery store.

If you put a gun to my head, I guess I would say sugar free ketchup, EZ sweetz, sugar free chocolate chips are my "MUST HAVES" but I try to keep it to a bare minimum.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I like Sweetleaf liquids, erythritol powder, Bob's red mill stuff, and Goya coconut milk
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
They have DaVinci and Torani syrups at Wal Mart and Sam's in my area. But I wouldn't give you a nickel for any of it. I think it tastes horrid. When I started, there was a LOT of stuff I bought at Netrition- sugar free maltitol honey, Smaps (horrible soy cereal), Isomalt (for low carb candy), CarbQuik, etc. I eventually found out that I was better off with more of a natural approach using ordinary foods available at any grocery store.

If you put a gun to my head, I guess I would say sugar free ketchup, EZ sweetz, sugar free chocolate chips are my "MUST HAVES" but I try to keep it to a bare minimum.
Thanks for this. It's so tempting to buy every new thing and try it. However, I'm thinking of using the Davinci in recipes---do you find it tastes like crap in recipes?

I don't shop at Wal-mart. Ever. It's my political WOE, lol. And there's no Sam's club in my area, and from all I've read, I would prefer Costco, which is close enough, but can't get used to or use their king size everything.

Seems I can get Heinz reduced sugar ketchup at Target. I'm intrigued by the sugar free chocolate chips. Thanks for adding in.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
I like Sweetleaf liquids, erythritol powder, Bob's red mill stuff, and Goya coconut milk
Thanks picklepete, and howdy from a fellow Minnesotan! My instinct is to stick with whole foods and NOT stock up on unnecessary crap. Checking our your recs.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
do you find it tastes like crap in recipes?
I've dabbled with them. The ones that imitate a simple form of sugar like caramel, butterscotch, marshmallow, or praline are pretty convincing as long as you compensate for the liquid (treat it like extra water). The fruit and chocolate ones are pretty bad IMO.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've dabbled with them. The ones that imitate a simple form of sugar like caramel, butterscotch, marshmallow, or praline are pretty convincing as long as you compensate for the liquid (treat it like extra water). The fruit and chocolate ones are pretty bad IMO.
Oh, thank you for this! I was thinking of the caramel, to add to cream cheese muffins in hope of creating something like a creme brulee flavor.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
You might be able to sample the Torani and DaVinci brands if a local place uses them for sugar free drinks. At least you'd get an idea of what they taste like in a drink anyway.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks picklepete, and howdy from a fellow Minnesotan!
Aye, enjoying our lovely spring?

Quote:
My instinct is to stick with whole foods and NOT stock up on unnecessary crap. Checking our your recs.
That's absolutely wise, I try to keep my food as perishable as possible (I know I'm doing well if the fridge is empty on grocery day). But there will always be social occasions and holidays and I like to offer something festive without keeping sugar and wheat in the house.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Aye, enjoying our lovely spring?

That's absolutely wise, I try to keep my food as perishable as possible (I know I'm doing well if the fridge is empty on grocery day). But there will always be social occasions and holidays and I like to offer something festive without keeping sugar and wheat in the house.
Ha. You were generous with your icon regarding spring this year in our fair state. I'd go more for

So I think I'm going to try the Davinci Caramel. We'll see. But I figure the best way to learn is to dip one's toes in, a little at a time.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I like the EZ-Sweetz sucralose and the Stevita liquid stevia extract (clear). I have lots of other stuff in my cart, but nothing I couldn't live without. They do have very good prices and service. I've placed two good sized orders and both have arrived quickly and everything is packaged very carefully.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 04-09-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gungadinn1997
WOE: atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2013
You can get a "syrup" like davinci at dollar tree that is caramel sweetened with sucralose that is pretty good imo....someone mentioned them here and I stopped and found them....and only $1!
gungadinn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadinn1997 View Post
You can get a "syrup" like davinci at dollar tree that is caramel sweetened with sucralose that is pretty good imo....someone mentioned them here and I stopped and found them....and only $1!
Wow, who knew? Thanks. Problem is there are no Dollar Trees close to us, Dollar Stores are much more prevalent in my neck of the woods. But I'll check it out at the Dollar Store when I'm there next, maybe they carry it too. And I think there's a Dollar Tree downtown that I pass every now and then---now I have a reason to stop in.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
You might be able to sample the Torani and DaVinci brands if a local place uses them for sugar free drinks. At least you'd get an idea of what they taste like in a drink anyway.
Thanks reddarin. Interesting idea. However, I'm not very confident that most places are too interested in providing sugar free drinks. I've long been aware of and tasted Torani, not so much Da Vinci, but at least for Torani, it's no sugar free deal and don't even know if they have one.

I'm really interested in using DaVinci Sugar free syrups in baking recipes, as that's where I've most often read them used here in the recipe threads. Although I wouldn't mind if say, the caramel version tasted great in my coffee.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I like the EZ-Sweetz sucralose and the Stevita liquid stevia extract (clear). I have lots of other stuff in my cart, but nothing I couldn't live without. They do have very good prices and service. I've placed two good sized orders and both have arrived quickly and everything is packaged very carefully.
Good to know. What is it you like about the EZ-Sweetz sucralose--- second rec in this thread for this product---as opposed to other sweeteners?

I have also seen that Stevia liquid extract is not easy to come by in grocery stores.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Good to know. What is it you like about the EZ-Sweetz sucralose--- second rec in this thread for this product---as opposed to other sweeteners?

I have also seen that Stevia liquid extract is not easy to come by in grocery stores.
The EZ-Sweetz, being a liquid, has no bulking agents like malodextrin, plus it is highly concentrated. It comes in two formulas, for the one I bought one drop = 1 packet sweetener, 24 drops = 1 cup sugar. Very easy to use in recipes.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
The EZ-Sweetz, being a liquid, has no bulking agents like malodextrin, plus it is highly concentrated. It comes in two formulas, for the one I bought one drop = 1 packet sweetener, 24 drops = 1 cup sugar. Very easy to use in recipes.
That explains the benefit perfectly, so convenient. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for in looking for the best Low Carb products. Thanks Mistizoom
Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
SKINNY CRISPS (but I actually don't recommend buying them if you have even the slightest self-control issues...they are delicious and, although relatively low-carb (they are made with almond meal), the cinnamon one and chocolate brownie one are made with real sugar and not low-calorie). But having said that, I buy all of the flavors (cinnamon is my fave followed by chocolate brownie, cheese and toasty onion) and keep them stored in my garage freezer so I have to work harder to get to them. I crumble up the toasty onion and use it as a crunchy, tasty topping for baked fish...tastes very similar to onion soup mix without yucky stuff).

Also, all of my erythritol, Zsweet, and Just Like Sugar; sugar-free chocolate chips;coconut and hazelnut flours; MCT oil; few Big Train items; unsweetened cocoa powder; unsweeteneded coconut; oat fiber; etc..

Jay Robb unflavored whey protein; Whey Protein Crisps and Guy's BBQ Sauce.

I know there is more but I am blanking at the moment. I tend to only buy products that I use to make our food with (meaning not prepared or mixes, etc).

Last edited by Girlieschmoo; 04-09-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/216/199
Start Date: April 2012
I like the Flackers "crackers."
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love&Luck
Stats: (229) 181/168.5/140 5'4"
Start Date: yep
Certain things they have that I actually use alot I'm lucky enough to be able to get locally as needed (Guy's BBQ sauce, Flackers, Carba Nada pasta, Reduced Sugar Heinz for example). Other things I buy regularly are the Quest bars for DF and erythritol which while I can buy it locally it's much more expensive. I also get the liquid splenda and stevia from netrition.

I used the SF syrups, but usually only in greek yogurt and tea.

Agree with above - service and speed are exceptional for online ordering.
Love&Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Yeah. And hello my fellow Minnesotans! Lovely out there, isn't it?

I buy snacks for my husband there -- he loves the popped cheese stuff with flavors like jalapeno. He also loves Linda Sue's peanut butter bars (made with almond butter, natch), so I buy Carbquik and polydextrose, too.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=Knittering;16364633]Yeah. And hello my fellow Minnesotans! Lovely out there, isn't it?

OMG, an inch of SNOW this morning! Won't be the first time it's snowed in April but geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez! What I hate is when we skip spring and go from cold to hot within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the product suggestions, knittering.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
What I hate is when we skip spring and go from cold to hot within a couple of weeks.
Me too. Direct from heater to AC doesn't seem fair!
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=Girlieschmoo;16364389]SKINNY CRISPS (but I actually don't recommend buying them if you have even the slightest self-control issues...they are delicious and, although relatively low-carb (they are made with almond meal), the cinnamon one and chocolate brownie one are made with real sugar and not low-calorie). But having said that, I buy all of the flavors (cinnamon is my fave followed by chocolate brownie, cheese and toasty onion) and keep them stored in my garage freezer so I have to work harder to get to them. I crumble up the toasty onion and use it as a crunchy, tasty topping for baked fish...tastes very similar to onion soup mix without yucky stuff).

Thanks Girlieschmoo. The Skinny crisps really appeal to me as I am always looking for that CRUNCH. And btw, according to the product descriptions, ALL
flavors are the same carb count, about 1/2 net carbs per cracker, which is pretty darn good. Is this a mistake on their part, and when you actually get the Brownie or cinnamon there's sugar in them? That would be not OK.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Quote:
Is this a mistake on their part, and when you actually get the Brownie or cinnamon there's sugar in them? That would be not OK.
I am on vacation in Colorado right now so don't have access to the nutrition info on the packages but what I do know is that I can eat an entire bag (ummm....that would be the self-control issue) and it won't do much to my blood sugars but will blow like two days' worth of calories. Even if I eat just a serving, the calorie count adds up quickly. Doesn't matter if it's the sweet ones or the savory...Weird, I know. If I can keep it to just a few crackers, it's a great LC snack. I just struggle with that little piece of it

I wrote the company asking them if they would consider making them with erythritol and got a quick, nice response back that it's the sugar that gives them the great crunch and they don't want to mess with that. They started making them because of gluten issues (not an issue for me) not diabetic/insulin-resistance issues (insulin-resistance is what i am trying to correct), so they are only concerned with keeping them gluten-free.

ETA: The brownie ones will raise my blood sugar significantly; cinnamon not so much. My thought was if they could make them with erythritol, aside from the fact that I just don't eat real sugar ever, it would reduce the calorie count quite a bit and the carb count to some degree as well.

Last edited by Girlieschmoo; 04-10-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
Carbolite 2carb chocolate bars!!!!!!!!! to die for!!
AddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hey, Blue Skies - I know what you mean about special products that you might have never tried/needed before, but are useful for a more LC lifestyle. Today, my cooking/food prep arsenal is a lot different than the pre-LC days.

Add me to the liquid sucralose fan club. I also use the EZ Sweetz brand and just love it. I use it for everything, from sweetening my plain, full fat Greek yogurt and smoothies to baking and making teriyaki sauce. Fewer carbs than the sucralose powders that include bulking agents, and I also feel the bulking stuff is what contributes to an aftertaste. Other things I've found so helpful (and best selection/prices at Netrition: Ideal Brown Sugar substute (xylitol/sucralose blend). So good for baking or sauces that need that more brown sugary taste, like BBQ and teriyaki.

Also LOVE Capella flavor drops. With these and some EZ Sweetz, you don't need those syrups like Davinci or Torani. Capella drops come in many, many flavors and are in tiny squeeze bottles. No added sweeteners, just flavor. They last a long time and are more cost effective and easier to store since you're not paying for all that water. Again, I use in yogurt, coffee drinks, baked goods.

Almond flour is a must if you do any baking, and a lot of people like ground flax. I'm trying to like it, but find it's pretty "grassy" tasting, but pretty good in conjunction w/almond flour. I've just recently tried coconut flour and was pleasantly surprised when I used it in a blueberry muffin recipe which did NOT taste coconutty.

I use coconut oil (sometimes the refined, no coconut flavored kind, and sometimes unrefined, depending on my recipe, in nearly all of my cooking. Coconut oil withstand heat better than olive oil for higher heat cooking like sauteeing/frying.

I love, love, love coconut milk. Don't think I'd ever cooked w/it before LC (though had it in plenty of Pina Coladas - lol). So good in Asian style dishes, with different spices - curries, Thai chili paste, etc. I enjoy almond milk in smoothies - had NEVER tried it before LC.

I have to say I do not like the thickening agents like glucomann (sp?) powder. Usu. turns any sauce I'm making into a gloppy mess. If I'm thickening a sauce, I usu. use just small amount of corn starch. Spread over the whole recipe, the carb count is minimal. Another product I tried and just can't seem to stomach is Miracle Noodles.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
Hey, Blue Skies - I know what you mean about special products that you might have never tried/needed before, but are useful for a more LC lifestyle. Today, my cooking/food prep arsenal is a lot different than the pre-LC days.

Add me to the liquid sucralose fan club. I also use the EZ Sweetz brand and just love it. I use it for everything, from sweetening my plain, full fat Greek yogurt and smoothies to baking and making teriyaki sauce. Fewer carbs than the sucralose powders that include bulking agents, and I also feel the bulking stuff is what contributes to an aftertaste. Other things I've found so helpful (and best selection/prices at Netrition: Ideal Brown Sugar substute (xylitol/sucralose blend). So good for baking or sauces that need that more brown sugary taste, like BBQ and teriyaki.

Also LOVE Capella flavor drops. With these and some EZ Sweetz, you don't need those syrups like Davinci or Torani. Capella drops come in many, many flavors and are in tiny squeeze bottles. No added sweeteners, just flavor. They last a long time and are more cost effective and easier to store since you're not paying for all that water. Again, I use in yogurt, coffee drinks, baked goods.

Almond flour is a must if you do any baking, and a lot of people like ground flax. I'm trying to like it, but find it's pretty "grassy" tasting, but pretty good in conjunction w/almond flour. I've just recently tried coconut flour and was pleasantly surprised when I used it in a blueberry muffin recipe which did NOT taste coconutty.

I use coconut oil (sometimes the refined, no coconut flavored kind, and sometimes unrefined, depending on my recipe, in nearly all of my cooking. Coconut oil withstand heat better than olive oil for higher heat cooking like sauteeing/frying.

I love, love, love coconut milk. Don't think I'd ever cooked w/it before LC (though had it in plenty of Pina Coladas - lol). So good in Asian style dishes, with different spices - curries, Thai chili paste, etc. I enjoy almond milk in smoothies - had NEVER tried it before LC.

I have to say I do not like the thickening agents like glucomann (sp?) powder. Usu. turns any sauce I'm making into a gloppy mess. If I'm thickening a sauce, I usu. use just small amount of corn starch. Spread over the whole recipe, the carb count is minimal. Another product I tried and just can't seem to stomach is Miracle Noodles.
Thank you main mom! Haven't placed my order yet, going to do it tomorrow, so this is great timing to help complete my list.

I'm going to get the EZ sweetner for sure, so many recs here on that, and I love the brown sugar substitute idea, brown sugar and butter is such a great caramelizing sauce.

And I'm going to try some almond milk. I've never had it. Would you mind sharing a few of your recipes for almond milk smoothies?

Also, agree totally on the Miracle Noodles. Not going to happen for me. My friend got some, and couldn't stand anything about them and she and I seem to have twin taste buds.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hey, Blue Skies: the smoothies I make are make are a bit higher carb, but very satisfying, and I make a big blender full, enough for a huge one for myself and my 16 yo son. Have to say I'm kinda lax on measuring, but for my favorite one I use: 1 or 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder (whatever brand you like - count the carbs based on your brand); plain, full fat Greek Yogurt (the only kind I can find in my fav. grocery store is Greek Gods brand, which I love - but not by itself!); about a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or more); about a cup of froz strawberries OR a couple tbsp of unsw. cocoa powder (I prefer strawberries); EZ Sweetz to taste; Cappella French Vanilla Flavor Drops to taste; about 1/4 to 1/2 cup cream for richness, a couple tbsps of melted coconut oil, a shake of salt and some cubes of ice. Pour in your liquid BEFORE your prot. powder so it doesn't glop together at the bottom. Start your blender and pour in your melted coconut oil after it's blended - seems to work better that way. Add more of anything for texture/sweetness. I've thought about adding an egg or two for extra protein/nutrition, but haven't yet. I've also tried it w/ a small bit of banana, coconut milk (YUM) and a bit of pineapple juice with the Capella Pina Colada drops, and that's pretty good, too, but a bit carbier. Still MUCH better than those smoothies you buy elsewhere!
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #30
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
My list of things I "can't live without" changes all the time but here is a list of my current obsessions:

P28 bagels (28 grams of protein in each, have an order in for their spread also)
Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter. I like the crunchy)
Walden Farms maple syrup (zero calories, pretty great stuff)
Jay Robb protein powder
Fiber Gourmet pasta (freaking lot of fiber but exactly like regular pasta)
7-Keto DHEA (I use a lot of their supplements )
EZ Sweets
Half-Calorie snack crackers (75 calories a bag, great to dip in hummus)
Met-Rx shakes mix (for the BF, I think they are yucky!)
MHP Power Pak pudding (expensive but convenient)
Joseph's Middle East Bakery pitas
Monin O'Free syrups (love the mango and berry!)

My almond milk smoothie (not LC) is 1 1/2 cups unsweetened Almond Breeze, 1/2 cup Monin blackberry syrup, 1 scoop Jay Robb, 2 cups of a blackberry/raspberry/blueberry blend from Costco. Put it all in the blender, go to town!! Yes, it makes a huge amount. Yes, I can finish one, especially in the summer. I also like subbing the mango syrup and adding in a frozen mango/peach blend from Walmart. Or sub strawberry syrup (Davinici) and frozen strawberrys.

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 04-14-2013 at 01:48 PM..
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote