Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What to eat on all inclusive vacation? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801634-what-eat-all-inclusive-vacation.html)

readyfredy 04-09-2013 11:00 AM

What to eat on all inclusive vacation?

Hi all -

I've been missing for a bit and managed to gain back all of the weight, plus some. :(

But I'm restarting today!

On Saturday we leave for an all inclusive vacation in mexico.

Can you help me with ideas on how to stay on plan?

I know I will be drinking more than recommended, but I am hoping to still lose weight while I'm there.

I am going to bring the crystal light "margarita" flavor and try to do margaritas that. Any other suggestions?

LoriAS 04-09-2013 11:11 AM

When I was on vacation, I simply ate as I normally do when I eat out at home for work.

1. Order or choose the items on the menu that you know are on plan.
2. Buffet: choose as many meats/vegetables as possible that appear to have a clear broth/sauce. If it taste sweet when I have a bite, don't eat the rest.
3. Eat lots of almonds and peanuts for snack if I cannot find other induction friendly snacks/food.
4. If I am in a bind and there is one near, go to McDs and have (sandwich of choice) bunless.

Chuck41 04-09-2013 12:58 PM

Buffets are often the big thing at all inclusives. I think of them as "Atkins Heaven". Pick the low carb items and enjoy and make sure you eat enough of them to not be hungry. Just leave higher carb items totally alone. No to sweets, corn, potatoes, rice and anything made with flour or sugar in any form. Might take a few Atkins Bars or the equivalent with you to avoid feeling totally deprived although they are not a good choice on a regular basis. Avoid sweet drinks like the plague and remember that all alcohol tends to lower your resolve so imbibe accordingly. We went on a cruise a month ago and had a ball! I gained about four pounds and very quickly lost that plus more in the week after I got home. Have fun!

readyfredy 04-09-2013 01:02 PM

Thanks!

I'm thinking:

Breakfast - eggs, sausage, bacon and coffee with cream

Lunch - cheeses, nuts meats, veggies, avocado, etc

Dinner - fish, steak, lobster, shrimp, etc and salads.

I am bringing crystal light "mojito" and "margarita" packets. I am going to try to stick to club soda, straight alcohol and lime, but if i need a "mixed drink" i'll use those.

I am also going to bring some individual almond servings and buy some chicharrones there (pork skins) to have with guac mid day when the others are having chips.

I am also going to try to exercise every day - I think thats the best I can do!

Chuck41 04-09-2013 04:52 PM

Sounds like a plan. Enjoy your LC vacation.:clap:

jamaicagal 04-09-2013 09:26 PM

We go all the time to the ones at home and it's easy! They have an egg station for scrambled eggs and omelettes where you select your ingredients. Guests normally call ahead and let us know if they are gluten free, vegetarian etc...

If you ask the maitre'd of the restaurants for something special they will try their best to get it for you. You wouldn't believe the requests they get sometimes.

Vodka with soda water is my drink of choice with a twist of lime. The sugar free desserts are iffy sometimes though.

Have fun!

Punkin 04-10-2013 03:47 AM

Last time I was on vacation it was mostly buffet and they had a salad bar for lunch and dinner, so I basically piled my plate up with lettuce and then added shredded cheese, olives, alfalfa sprouts and dressing on it. And then chopped up whatever protein was served and ate that on top. Lettuce is very low carb so you can get away with eating it at every meal. For breakfast I basically stuck with eggs. If they don't have a salad bar just ask for a plate of lettuce with your meal with shredded cheese on it, I did that the nights it wasn't a buffet.

LoriAS 04-10-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamaicagal (Post 16364356)
We go all the time to the ones at home and it's easy! They have an egg station for scrambled eggs and omelettes where you select your ingredients. Guests normally call ahead and let us know if they are gluten free, vegetarian etc...

If you ask the maitre'd of the restaurants for something special they will try their best to get it for you. You wouldn't believe the requests they get sometimes.

Vodka with soda water is my drink of choice with a twist of lime. The sugar free desserts are iffy sometimes though.

Have fun!

Just make sure and ask if the eggs are already scrambled if they added pancake batter. Then you will have to ask for fresh scrambled eggs for your omelet. May places add batter to their egg scramble for omelets to make them fluffier and last longer.

NAT&RD 04-10-2013 08:37 AM

Taking pkgs of nuts is a great idea, Don't let yourself get hungry, sounds strange for all inclusive, but meals may be served at different time than you normally eat. In buffet fill plate with healthy Items, try new things, you don't have to finish something if you don't love it. Find a table FAR FAR away from buffet line, dessert displays etc. Much easier not to go for seconds

If you are in regular dining ask that bread/ tortillas be removed from table.

You can see I have a hard time with control on vacation. but have used these tactics to help.

I also take along lindt 85% choc. Have a square with my cappachino after dinner. I know this won't set of cravings, and keeps me from other desserts.

I also promise myself 1 real mojito and real dessert, towards the end of vacation. last vacation I never got around to either of rewards, but knowing I can have them helps turn down unhealthy choices

ravenrose 04-10-2013 10:45 AM

Free food is the WORST. I avoid buffets and things like that like the plague, because my self discipline is terrible when it's free.

just keep counting the calories or carbs or whatever you count in your head and think of THAT as the cost, not the money. think of the additional cost of buying NEW BIGGER CLOTHES if you pig out...

some people find actual financial incentives work best. if you have the sort of relationship with your traveling companion where this would work, make an agreement... like if you eat badly, you have to pay something to them and if you are really good you get to buy something you really want. it can work wonders!