Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: klewis0906
3 Weeks and......NOTHING!!!

I'm not going to quit, but need some encouragement. After 3 weeks and not losing, starting to get pretty down about this whole thing. I'm in ketosis, so I know I'm doing it right. I'm exercising a 3-4 times a week. Pilates, Walking and 1 night of bootcamp. I only drink water. Why no weight loss? This is driving me crazy! I've searched the site for answers. I would have thought I would at least be down 10lbs by now. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
klewis0906 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
We need more information:

-Starting weight and goal weight
-Typical daily intake, including amounts
-Which plan you're doing
-Any medical issues/current medications

Drinking only water is great, and good job with all the exercise you get.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
I find WATER AMOUNT is a serious issue with me. I MUST drink at least 100 ounces per day to lose ANY weight. I will drink from the time I get up untill I go to sleep,a gallon or more per day. Not saying this is your problem, you might want to make sure you are drinking enough, though. HTH.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Do you have much weight to lose?

Last edited by Janknitz; 04-09-2013 at 08:03 AM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Age - 49
Gender- Female
Starting weight and goal weight - 226/180 (I'm 5/10)
Typical daily intake, including amounts - 1200 - 1600 calories approx. 20 carbs, 70-100 protein -
Which plan you're doing - low carb (using Keto sticks to keep me honest)
High Blood Pressure -Any medical issues/current medications

I drink 3 -4 32ozs per day.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Would you mind posting a typical day's menu?
Without seeing exactly what you are eating, it looks like you may be high on protein.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by klewis0906 View Post
Age - 49
Gender- Female
Starting weight and goal weight - 226/180 (I'm 5/10)
Typical daily intake, including amounts - 1200 - 1600 calories approx. 20 carbs, 70-100 protein -
Which plan you're doing - low carb (using Keto sticks to keep me honest)
High Blood Pressure -Any medical issues/current medications

I drink 3 -4 32ozs per day.
Have you been checked for any other medical conditions lately? Diabetes or insulin resistance? Hypothyroid? Adrenal fatigue?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
ok, at a glance I would diagnose this:

1. you were probably eating fairly low carb BEFORE starting on this program, as a side effect of generally "watching what you eat" or "counting calories." that meant you did not have that huge glycogen/water store in the liver to lose, so you didn't get that hoped for initial whoosh. you only get that once, and when it's gone, you can't lose more fast by just starting a lower carb regime.

2. as annoying as it is, at this stage in life that's apparently all you can eat to maintain your weight. bummer, I know.

so it's a matter of fooling around and finding what works for you now. I am a big proponent of low carbing, but if you work with this for a few months and take the good suggestions people here will have for you, and you still are not happy, you might try JUDDD. there is a subboard for that on this site, although it is NOT a low carb plan. many "hard cases" have found it useful. but if you have a tendency toward insulin resistance/diabetes, I am not sure it's a good idea...

best of luck.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
ok, at a glance I would diagnose this:

1. you were probably eating fairly low carb BEFORE starting on this program, as a side effect of generally "watching what you eat" or "counting calories." that meant you did not have that huge glycogen/water store in the liver to lose, so you didn't get that hoped for initial whoosh. you only get that once, and when it's gone, you can't lose more fast by just starting a lower carb regime.

2. as annoying as it is, at this stage in life that's apparently all you can eat to maintain your weight. bummer, I know.

so it's a matter of fooling around and finding what works for you now. I am a big proponent of low carbing, but if you work with this for a few months and take the good suggestions people here will have for you, and you still are not happy, you might try JUDDD. there is a subboard for that on this site, although it is NOT a low carb plan. many "hard cases" have found it useful. but if you have a tendency toward insulin resistance/diabetes, I am not sure it's a good idea...

best of luck.
I'll second JUDDD And you can do JUDDD and low carb at the same time, if you prefer to stay low carb
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Yesterdays Menu

Breakfast - Green Smoothie
Baby Spinach, 0.35 oz (85g / about 2 cups)
Cucumber - Raw, With Skin, 0.25 medium
Black Berries - Black Berries, 0.25 cup (144g)
Apple (Granny Smith) - Green Apple, 0.25 Small Apple
Generic - Metamucil - Orange Fiber Powder, 1 Tablespoon

Lunch
Subway - Spicy Italian Chopped Salad W/ Olives, Cucumbers, and Spinach W/ Vinegear and Oil, 1 Salad

Dinner
Atkins Chili Con Carne - Net Carb - Atkins Chili Con Carne, 1 Bowl

Snacks
Atkins Friendly - Cream Cheese Muffin, 1 muffin
3oz - Pork Chop ( Baked/ Broiled/ Grilled ), 7.5 oz

1252 Calories
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/180/165
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
No expert on this, just learning. But it seems there's very little fat in your diet, if this menu is an example. From what I've read, and experienced, fat is an important component in a successful Low Carb diet.

My weight loss was pretty slow when I started 2 months ago. I did two things. Upped my fat and the amt of water I was drinking, and bingo, the weight has started to come off faster.

One easy way to up the fat is with a cream and diet soda drink. I love Diet Rite's Tangerine soda with a third to half cup of cream and LOTS OF ICE---liquid dreamsicle. Same thing with Diet root beer---a "black cow" of sorts. Also check out "fat bombs" here and on google. And I'm starting to make good sauces for my meats, which makes them more interesting and ups the fat content.

I know, it seems crazy to many of us have been brainwashed to think fat is the enemy. But having read MANY things about how fat regulation works, I'm now learning how to enjoy and increase the fat in my diet.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

And one other thing...1252 calories a day seems low for this WOE. And the fact that you know the calories, suggests you're counting them. No sin in that, but it really is counter to the benefit of Low Carb diets. If you're eating the right proportion of fats, protein and carbs, you don't need to worry about the calories, within reason of course. I have no idea how many calories a day I'm eating, but whatever it is, it's working for me. The very good thing about a LC WOE, imo, is that you're not hungry, and not in a constant state of craving, because you eat what you feel like, within the parameters---calories become irrelevant.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Ok, here is what I come up with from your sample menu:

Calories - 1297
Carbs - 40
Fat - 113
Protein - 80
Sodium - 2175

I don't think you are eating enough, considering how active you are. I would up the fats lower the proteins and re-evaluate in a week or so.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsbreeze View Post
Ok, here is what I come up with from your sample menu:

Calories - 1297
Carbs - 40
Fat - 113
Protein - 80
Sodium - 2175

I don't think you are eating enough, considering how active you are. I would up the fats lower the proteins and re-evaluate in a week or so.
I agree with this, I would also drop the apple and the blackberries, at least until you are losing consistently. Apples especially contain a lot of sugar, so a small amount can be problematic. Definitely up your fats.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Wendi-Bell
Stats: 191/156(142) (169/162/140) 5'7"
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 04/26/2004 and yet again....1/24/14(10years later)
Definitely water. I drink a gallon/day. Cut out ALL other beverages. Grab a friend, and challenge to a chug down. Seriously. It's a great way to down a bottle of water and move on to the next. Hang in there, it will start falling off!!
Wendi-Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I agree with this, I would also drop the apple and the blackberries, at least until you are losing consistently. Apples especially contain a lot of sugar, so a small amount can be problematic. Definitely up your fats.
@janetsbreeze - yes I use ************ to calculate the carbs, fat, protein and sugar content. If I have high calories, I don't worry about it as long as the other numbers are good. Fitnesspal calculated at

1252 Calories
26 carbs
91 fat
85 protein

I did see where people were increasing their fat so that's what I've been trying to do. I did make the cream cheese muffins yesterday, but had to share so I have to make another batch. LOL (they were good). I'll try adding the cream to the diet soda. How much cream do you add?

Last edited by klewis0906; 04-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
I would not lose an ounce if I ate fruit. Also, I eat a LOT of fat--- cheese, cream, sour cream, olive oil........
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
@janetsbreeze - yes I use ************ to calculate the carbs, fat, protein and sugar content. If I have high calories, I don't worry about it as long as the other numbers are good. Fitnesspal calculated at

1252 Calories
26 carbs
91 fat
85 protein

I did see where people were increasing their fat so that's what I've been trying to do. I did make the cream cheese muffins yesterday, but had to share so I have to make another batch. LOL (they were good). I'll try adding the cream to the diet soda. How much cream do you add?
Kewis, I fill a tall glass with ice, then pour up to half in cream---which because of the ice is not really half. Then I add the Tangerine Diet rite (no aspertame) and stir WELL, cream wants to hang in there at the bottom. This leaves me with at least a half can of soda left, which I add in as I drink it down. I don't put any more cream in it, seems there's enough if I keep stirring.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Thank you!

Thank you ladies for all the support and advise. I will increase my fat content and see if it helps. Yes, I was already doing low carb, but had to eliminate my cocktails and occasion carb fest. I will also check out JUDDD.

Good luck to you ladies in your weight loss efforts....
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Kewis, I fill a tall glass with ice, then pour up to half in cream---which because of the ice is not really half. Then I add the Tangerine Diet rite (no aspertame) and stir WELL, cream wants to hang in there at the bottom. This leaves me with at least a half can of soda left, which I add in as I drink it down. I don't put any more cream in it, seems there's enough if I keep stirring.
Thank you! I'll have that with my dinner tonight!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Whats your normal intake of fats and protein?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 71yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet; JUDDD
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12: 1/17/14
Exercise causes water weight that is repairing your muscles. Have you taken measurements? I know we want to be healthy and fit, but know it will show in your lack of weight loss.
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Whats your normal intake of fats and protein?
Looks to be about the same as your actually, but I eat fewer carbs, I think. I also don't exercise.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
well for me i have to count calories. So i do juddd
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Looks to be about the same as your actually, but I eat fewer carbs, I think. I also don't exercise.
Misti - you're losing steadily?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

I just want to figure out what I'm missing so I can fix it and start dropping the pounds!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Misti - you're losing steadily?
Yes, I've been losing about 10 lbs/month, though I went on a cruise in late March so I am a bit messed up at the moment (but below where I was before I went on the cruise). However, I'm somewhat larger than you (esp. if you look at BMI, I"m only 5'5"), so it could be you need to be more careful with your macro levels (I figure I will need to do that at some point). Have you been tested for any medical issues besides high blood pressure recently?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes, Apples do contain more sugar than many fruits, about 20 grams a medium sized apple, and without some of the better attributes of other fruits.

But blackberries, really any berry, are considerably lower in carbs and offer great anticarcinogens. IMO, berries are the best way to include fruits in a LC diet, and I wouldn't cut them out unless you're super sensitive to any carb. But then, we all must eat SOME carbs so the question is where to get them that's best for us. Berries are a very good choice in that regard for what they give back.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Yes, Apples do contain more sugar than many fruits, about 20 grams a medium sized apple, and without some of the better attributes of other fruits.
D
But blackberries, really any berry, are considerably lower in carbs and offer great anticarcinogens. IMO, berries are the best way to include fruits in a LC diet, and I wouldn't cut them out unless you're super sensitive to any carb. But then, we all must eat SOME carbs so the question is where to get them that's best for us. Berries are a very good choice in that regard for what they give back.
I don't disagree that if you are going to eat fruit berries are one of the best choices. However they are higher carb than many foods and as at least one PP noted some people don't lose if they eat any fruit. I avoid fruit almost all the time myself. I don't agree that we need to eat some carbs though, there is no dietary requirement for carbs whatsoever. Humans can survive solely on protein and fat (preferably animal fat).
Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't disagree that if you are going to eat fruit berries are one of the best choices. However they are higher carb than many foods and as at least one PP noted some people don't lose if they eat any fruit. I avoid fruit almost all the time myself. I don't agree that we need to eat some carbs though, there is no dietary requirement for carbs whatsoever. Humans can survive solely on protein and fat (preferably animal fat).
You're absolutely right about no dietary requirement for carbs. I guess what I was saying is that for me, I'm going to have to have some carbs as part of a sustainable WOE, for the variety of tastes and flavors.

I realize some can't do fruit on a LC diet, but many can within reason. A cup of blackberries is 6.7 net carbs. Again, pretty low for the trade off in benefits.