Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Cheese recommendations (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801609-cheese-recommendations.html)

rouxroux 04-09-2013 04:19 AM

Cheese recommendations

I'm making a trip to Whole foods tomorrow & would love some cheese recommendations. Ya know, stuff that's outta the ordinary. I will be picking up a tiny wheel of bonne bouche (one of my favs!). I should mention I really don't like parmesan, bleu, and swiss cheeses. Thanks!

Leo41 04-09-2013 04:41 AM

I love cheese, but I try to avoid dairy except for butter.

HOWEVER, I fell in love with Kerrygold cheese that my supermarket now carries. They have 3 different types, and I now have to restrain myself from buying any because it's right next to the butter (which I love).

Also, they now have a Kerrygold 'garlic and herb' butter, which is fantastic to use in omelet-making.

Love&Luck 04-09-2013 06:18 AM

I love going to WH on cheese hunts! A great way to try them there is the basket of "leftover pieces." I'm not sure what else to call it -- at the end of the case at my location, they have a basket filled with pieces about 2-3 oz of a variety of different cheeses. I always take a look and see if I might want to try something and it's a small piece so if I don't like it it's not a big deal.

MargD 04-09-2013 06:24 AM

I'm a fan of bread cheese. There is no actual bread in it.

clackley 04-09-2013 06:26 AM

I love goat milk cheddar!!

synger 04-09-2013 08:04 AM

I love mexican frying cheese. Queso para freir. Slice it, put it in a dry medium-hot frying pan, and cook until it's lightly browned. It doesn't melt. Let it cool enough to pick it up, and enjoy. Buttery, cheesy, hot goodness. Good dipped in salsa or guacamole, too!

I also love brie, or hunter's cheese (cheddar and blue in stripes), or there's an amazing Armenian (I think) stringy white cheese that's sold in a knot and has caraway seeds in it.

PaminKY 04-09-2013 11:44 AM

I have recently tried raw cheese and love it, it's made from raw milk versus pasteurized. My favorite is the sharp cheddar.

LadyKT 04-09-2013 12:08 PM

Smoked Gouda. That is all.

KeirasMom 04-09-2013 02:15 PM

I second the rec for the Mexican frying cheese. It's sooo good. I've never had a cheese I didn't like from WF. Interested to see what others suggest.

Rhubarb 04-09-2013 02:58 PM

Humboldt Fog, a tangy blue goat cheese. Delicious.

Ste. Mère Brie

Black truffle cheddar -- OMG.

marieze 04-09-2013 03:34 PM

Any triple cream brie microwaved for 20 seconds.....smoked cheddar with horseradish mustard and green olives w/pimentos on the side!

jazills 04-09-2013 07:38 PM

Anything with the world "Tillamook" in it.

Enough said.

Strawberry 04-10-2013 11:51 AM

I recently discovered smoked gouda and really enjoyed it!

I also like Whole Foods "Seaside" white cheddar cheese, "Parrano" cheese (a type of gouda), and Fromage d'Affinois (looks like a brie, with similar texture, but none of the sour-y flavor, just creamy, sweet, and mild)

Any sort of soft goat cheese is great. Fresh mozarella or burrata.

Patience 04-10-2013 12:33 PM

cheeses yum . . . I am partial to sharp cheddars, tangy swisses, gruyere. I like baked cheeses. I like some bleu's. There's a wonderful ale and mustard seed cheese. Right now and am focusing on some of the nice spreadables that have good flavor and work well with my flax crackers. Valfrias Chili-Paprika is really good, but boursin or alouette, especially with chives and herbs, are similar. Even the wedges of laughing cow are good in a pinch and portion control is a cinch. Individualy wrapped string cheese is a bit bland but very practical traveling or a quick snack at the office.

I want flavor in my cheeses or I don't bother.

Girlieschmoo 04-10-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synger (Post 16362873)
I love mexican frying cheese. Queso para freir.

:jumpjoy: I have been looking for frying cheese! Thanks for posting that :)

Don't know if WF carries it but very thinly sliced Kerrygold Dubliner is fabulous (although it is a hard cheese so may be too much like Parmesan).

creseis 04-10-2013 09:30 PM

I've recently been buying herb crusted goat cheese from Chatham, NY. It's just really good and fairly widely distributed, so you might find some. I like it with celery or almond crisps.

Dottie 04-11-2013 08:41 AM

I tried halloumi and could not spit it out fast enough lol. It squeaked when you chew it and that totally put me off.
Kerrygold cheese with Irish whiskey is very sharp and good.
Thinly sliced, non smoked provolone makes good taco/tostada shells.
Manchego is delicious and really goes well in salads.

NineOhNine 04-11-2013 10:52 AM

I like Parrano and Kasseri. They're both robust without being overpowering.